*** The Official Loma Linda U School of Dentistry Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

Aug 11, 2018
Look idk what you want me to tell you, the school loses nothing by giving acceptances out to students even if they end up not going there. The schools gives out way more acceptances then end up coming. There are plenty of LDS people here and will continue to be as well.

And just because a school is private doesnt mean they can discriminate (at least not publicly). Meharry obviously prefera minorities but they could never tell someone you got rejected based on being white. Likewise LLU is not stupid enough to tell someone they are rejected based on their faith. (Which again doesnt make sense in the first place since the school struggles to find people willing to keep the standard to begin with).

Im not saying they wouldnt take an SDA over an LDS given the same stats. But when would they be TOLD it was because they are LDS. Rejection letters just say exactly that, you are rejected. If these people called and asked why I gurantee “because you are LDS” is not the reason.

The school isn’t infallible, but this is ridiculous. Ive heard of a school like Case Western not preferring LDS because they used to accept a lot and LDS students would never donate money back to the school because we are already donating 10% back to tithing. Even then its just here-say, again though the school would never outright tell someone it is because of their faith.
Yeah, they called the school directly and that’s what the admissions person told them. Haha so obviously it’s something you don’t know about. (And I don’t blame you). They all got rejected shortly after submitting there supplemental application which obviously asks about ethics, morals and core values, and due to the nature of the questions (and it being a religious school) their faith was brought up. I even think they might ask about it in the supplemental?

So, I was just curious what you knew and could explain why. Obviously your very partial towards your school and seem to be very defensive about something you don’t know a whole lot about. Trust me, I get your argument because I thought the same thing. But when I heard the same story 3 different times by applicants who were of the LDS faith, I kind of got the pattern and hint. And another note, only 2 of these applicants knew each other. The other was a completely unrelated Individual whom I only knew, sounds like it wasn’t a fluke. But hey, it’s been a year or two so maybe they changed their ways.

It’s great they you got in. Maybe your dad or relative went there. Or are a 4th year and this is a more recent trend, idk. But, if I were you, I’d check into things like that. Sounds like your schools not very up front or as transparent as it should be (also not just in an admissions perspective, I’ve heard other things from some graduates about other issues) or maybe you just haven’t cared to fully look into it. But I would do a little research (might be too late at this point) and learn a little bit about the school you’re attending and basically setting you up for your career.

Last edited:

BYU4you

5+ Year Member
May 22, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
seem to be very defensive about something you don’t know a whole lot about..
As a D3 (the years you say this happened) LDS student at Loma Linda it seems like Im the exact person that knows about this.
As opposed to someone not even in dental school yet.

I’m not defensive for my school but SDN has a bad rep for spreading a lot of word of mouth gossip and lies from people who dont have any business doing it. Here is a good example.

I’ll say it again, if any LDS students are accepted or applying send me a message. Or if anyone at all has any questions about LLU send me a message.

Thanks

Reactions: REACHOn
Dec 17, 2018
Status
Pre-Dental
It was 3 people. Three separate individuals in two different application cycles. So it’s not a freak thing. And the school TOLD them it was because they were LDS. They said they’ve had too many turn them down in the past. So that isn’t a direction they wanted to go.

And they’re private. They can do whatever the heck they want. Same reason Meharry and Howard only accept minorities. It’s just part of the PC of the whole thing.

They are looking for people that will fit well among the class. They rejected me at the beginning because they told me that I lacked a spiritual journey. 2 years later with better statistics and overall application I got in. Maybe they just want to see if you want it bad enough. All situations are different but it seems like you already have an negative opinion about the selection process. You stated BYU as being defensive but you were just asking for experiences and started pushing your views. You already got in a school and it just seems like you're trying to start a storm. You did not experience the application process at LLUSD but asked 3 people (sample size is small) about their experience and chose to promote a bad image. Everyone has the right to choose their favs. You like Dalhousie since it's the school you got accepted to right? I like LLUSD :) The school you get in is the best and some people just badmouth the rest. Look on the bright side, you got into dental school and at the end of the day we will all become dentists.

Reactions: BYU4you
Jul 18, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
It was 3 people. Three separate individuals in two different application cycles. So it’s not a freak thing. And the school TOLD them it was because they were LDS. They said they’ve had too many turn them down in the past. So that isn’t a direction they wanted to go.

And they’re private. They can do whatever the heck they want. Same reason Meharry and Howard only accept minorities. It’s just part of the PC of the whole thing.
Loma Linda University is a faith based school. The majority are Adventist, and the rest are a mixture of all different types of religions or agnostics/atheists who fit in such an environment. Being turned down because you are LDS is simply not possible, nor would the applicants have been told that.

Aug 11, 2018
Loma Linda University is a faith based school. The majority are Adventist, and the rest are a mixture of all different types of religions or agnostics/atheists who fit in such an environment. Being turned down because you are LDS is simply not possible, nor would the applicants have been told that.
As a D3 (the years you say this happened) LDS student at Loma Linda it seems like Im the exact person that knows about this.
As opposed to someone not even in dental school yet.

I’m not defensive for my school but SDN has a bad rep for spreading a lot of word of mouth gossip and lies from people who dont have any business doing it. Here is a good example.

I’ll say it again, if any LDS students are accepted or applying send me a message. Or if anyone at all has any questions about LLU send me a message.

Thanks
They are looking for people that will fit well among the class. They rejected me at the beginning because they told me that I lacked a spiritual journey. 2 years later with better statistics and overall application I got in. Maybe they just want to see if you want it bad enough. All situations are different but it seems like you already have an negative opinion about the selection process. You stated BYU as being defensive but you were just asking for experiences and started pushing your views. You already got in a school and it just seems like you're trying to start a storm. You did not experience the application process at LLUSD but asked 3 people (sample size is small) about their experience and chose to promote a bad image. Everyone has the right to choose their favs. You like Dalhousie since it's the school you got accepted to right? I like LLUSD :) The school you get in is the best and some people just badmouth the rest. Look on the bright side, you got into dental school and at the end of the day we will all become dentists.

Look guys. I wish I was making this stuff up. I really do. And again, I understand that it would be kind of meritless if it was just one person. but it was three individuals over 2 different application cycles so I thought it was an interesting pattern. That's just what i've experienced.

Soo, a word of advice (assuming you all go there). It sounds crazy, but that is in reality what these applicants were told. So instead of doing the typical "psshhhh, my school wouldn't do that" "It's not possible" "NO applicant has EVER been told that ," using absolutes and an argument that has no evidence. A simple "hmmm, thats unfortunate, I don't know why they would say/do that" or "I haven't ever heard of that happening" or "I'm a D(year) and have enjoyed it here because XYZ. The culture I've seen here has been (fill in the blank)." That type of response looks a lot better for you and for those looking at these forums for information. Thats essentially the purpose behind forums and SDN, everybody gets to share there "two cents" or experiences with the schools, even when it's not so glamorous. I just was stating what I was told from others who had a stand alone, particular experience with LLU, so for you all, its appropriate to do the same. This didn't define my whole opinion about the school, as I understand there are many aspects and angles to what defines a school. But when you deny and claim someone else is wrong based on no evidence or even experience with that particular issue, it just looks worse for you and the school.

Jul 18, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
Look guys. I wish I was making this stuff up. I really do. And again, I understand that it would be kind of meritless if it was just one person. but it was three individuals over 2 different application cycles so I thought it was an interesting pattern. That's just what i've experienced.

Soo, a word of advice (assuming you all go there). It sounds crazy, but that is in reality what these applicants were told. So instead of doing the typical "psshhhh, my school wouldn't do that" "It's not possible" "NO applicant has EVER been told that ," using absolutes and an argument that has no evidence. A simple "hmmm, thats unfortunate, I don't know why they would say/do that" or "I haven't ever heard of that happening" or "I'm a D(year) and have enjoyed it here because XYZ. The culture I've seen here has been (fill in the blank)." That type of response looks a lot better for you and for those looking at these forums for information. Thats essentially the purpose behind forums and SDN, everybody gets to share there "two cents" or experiences with the schools, even when it's not so glamorous. I just was stating what I was told from others who had a stand alone, particular experience with LLU, so for you all, its appropriate to do the same. This didn't define my whole opinion about the school, as I understand there are many aspects and angles to what defines a school. But when you deny and claim someone else is wrong based on no evidence or even experience with that particular issue, it just looks worse for you and the school.
I'm pretty sure the fact that I go to school with LDS students (more than three) proves my point. Not really sure what else you're looking for?

Reactions: REACHOn
Dec 17, 2018
Status
Pre-Dental
You did not experience it... You heard from 3 individuals. There's already 3 individuals that are telling you otherwise and you are still being defensive and a bit cheeky. There maybe some people who may or may not have heard that they lacked that spiritual journey and interpret it a different way. They told me that I lacked a spiritual journey and I could have taken it as because I am not religious. You say things are not absolute and I totally agree with you but do you want us to say the school might have done what you claim on the basis that nothing is absolute? You are not telling us your 2 cent but being very defensive and trying to create a storm. Perhaps more individuals will come up and support your claim but 3 over the span of LLUSD history is nothing. This convo is going no where and I won't be contributing this subject anymore.

Apr 4, 2018
Status
Pre-Dental
There is a Mormon guy in my class (D1) and 2 Jewish students. I would not listen to people that have been rejected and are obviously sour against the school.