**The Official Marquette University School of Dentistry Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread**

Accepted off the waitlist in state, can't wait :) feeling so blessed
Congrats on getting in, but I just don't get it, I'm not trying to bring you down or anything you worked for it and the committee feels you are better, maybe it's just not in God's plan for me and I can accept that but my stats are better than yours(found an old post of yours) and I'm still on the waitlist(in-state of course).... 3.82 GPA, 3.81 sGPA, 3.78 BCP 20 AA, 19 TS, 19 BIO, 20 GC, 21 OC, 22 PAT, 20 RC, 20 QR 100+ shadowing, 200+ volunteering, pre-dental club leadership, plus I applied last year as a junior so I feel like that would give me some boost. And my interview was fine I thought overall, not great but not bad either.

Congrats on getting in, but I just don't get it, I'm not trying to bring you down or anything you worked for it and the committee feels you are better, maybe it's just not in God's plan for me and I can accept that but my stats are better than yours(found an old post of yours) and I'm still on the waitlist(in-state of course).... 3.82 GPA, 3.81 sGPA, 3.78 BCP 20 AA, 19 TS, 19 BIO, 20 GC, 21 OC, 22 PAT, 20 RC, 20 QR 100+ shadowing, 200+ volunteering, pre-dental club leadership, plus I applied last year as a junior so I feel like that would give me some boost. And my interview was fine I thought overall, not great but not bad either.
It kinda does sound like you're bringing him down though. Stats aren't everything my friend

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It kinda does sound like you're bringing him down though. Stats aren't everything my friend
Sure stats aren't everything but come on now, a difference in a 3.45 vs 3.82 GPA and 3.34 vs 3.81 sGPA is a big difference.

Sure stats aren't everything but come on now, a difference in a 3.45 vs 3.82 GPA and 3.34 vs 3.81 sGPA is a big difference.
Yeah, and a 3.1 GPA vs a 3.8 GPA is an even bigger difference... and I routinely see people with such GPA get accepted over folks with higher stats.

What's your point??

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, and a 3.1 GPA vs a 3.8 GPA is an even bigger difference... and I routinely see people with such GPA get accepted over folks with higher stats.

What's your point??
Yea and in those cases there are usually glaring differences such as a really bad interview, or huge difference in extra curriculars, etc....

Wiscodent and I are like identical in extra curriculars, I know my interview wasn't bad, I was actually told by someone the student panel loved me too, but there's quite a big difference in GPA. Especially because of how hard it is to maintain a higher GPA, one or 2 B's and it drops like that.

Yea and in those cases there are usually glaring differences such as a really bad interview, or huge difference in extra curriculars, etc....

Wiscodent and I are like identical in extra curriculars, I know my interview wasn't bad, I was actually told by someone the student panel loved me too, but there's quite a big difference in GPA. Especially because of how hard it is to maintain a higher GPA, one or 2 B's and it drops like that.
Man, I don't know what to tell you.

Everyone can come up with a bunch of reasons why they should've been accepted over someone else... and some of those reasons may even be valid. Not going to lie, your GPA is awesome.

But at the end of the day, it doesn't change the decision that the adcoms made. And really, there's nothing that can be done about it. (I say this as a waitlisted student, myself.)

Plus, you might still get off the waitlist in the future. The cycle's not over yet!

I didn't even get an interview to my state school and I have comparable stats to yours..

i feel your pain. my two friends with DAT score AA 19 and 18 got into marquette and i m waitlisted with much higher DAT score. now i have learned there is no point in studying so hard for DAT exam coz score doesnt matter. i recommend everyone to take classes at community colleges and get 19AA score to get into dental score.

There are more things to take into consideration. I'm not sure if any of these apply to you, but some things to consider are: Marquette prefers in-staters who went to UW-Madison or Marquette for undergrad. Did you attend one of these schools or did you go to UW-Milwaukee, UW-Oshkosh, etc.? Difficulty of courses taken in undergrad: Were you taking 13 credits a semester of intro Bio classes or were you taking 16 credits a semester of upper level courses?

MickeyMouse45: Marquette has directly stated that they care much more about GPA and difficulty of class schedule than they do about the DAT because everyone's circumstances around taking the DAT vary so greatly (a student from a well-off family who had tutors and the whole summer to study and got a 22 vs. a student who had to work a full-time job all summer to support themselves while they studied and had to study themselves and got a 19)

There are more things to take into consideration. I'm not sure if any of these apply to you, but some things to consider are: Marquette prefers in-staters who went to UW-Madison or Marquette for undergrad. Did you attend one of these schools or did you go to UW-Milwaukee, UW-Oshkosh, etc.? Difficulty of courses taken in undergrad: Were you taking 13 credits a semester of intro Bio classes or were you taking 16 credits a semester of upper level courses?

MickeyMouse45: Marquette has directly stated that they care much more about GPA and difficulty of class schedule than they do about the DAT because everyone's circumstances around taking the DAT vary so greatly (a student from a well-off family who had tutors and the whole summer to study and got a 22 vs. a student who had to work a full-time job all summer to support themselves while they studied and had to study themselves and got a 19)

Do they really though? Brian has told me the opposite many times. They just tend to accept more of those students because more people apply to dental school from there.

Do they really though? Brian has told me the opposite many times. They just tend to accept more of those students because more people apply to dental school from there.

I'm sure Brian is not at liberty to admit something like that (especially being that one of the preferred schools is Marquette itself), but if they have 2 applicants with the exact same stats/extra curricular, they are going to pick the applicant that went to UW-Madison/Marquette over a different UW school (with Lacrosse maybe being a close second) 10 times out of 10. The admissions board at Marquette know the Wisconsin school system very well, and they know there is a higher degree of difficulty of obtaining a high GPA at Madison/Marquette than there is at other UW system schools, something I can personally attest to as I have taken science courses at several different UW system schools and the ones at Madison were significantly harder to get an A in.

Having said that, they still admit plenty of students from other UW schools, and you are right in saying that one of the reasons for the difference is that there are more students applying from Madison/Marquette. However, it is kind of comparing apples to oranges if you went to a different UW school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure Brian is not at liberty to admit something like that (especially being that one of the preferred schools is Marquette itself), but if they have 2 applicants with the exact same stats/extra curricular, they are going to pick the applicant that went to UW-Madison/Marquette over a different UW school (with Lacrosse maybe being a close second) 10 times out of 10. The admissions board at Marquette know the Wisconsin school system very well, and they know there is a higher degree of difficulty of obtaining a high GPA at Madison/Marquette than there is at other UW system schools, something I can personally attest to as I have taken science courses at several different UW system schools and the ones at Madison were significantly harder to get an A in.
That makes sense that they would do that though, at least to me. With all other factors being relatively equal, they should be picking the student from the more prestigious school

Anyone have thoughts on Marquette vs UMichigan? Lol

Alright well it appears as though there are 7 of us waitlisted on this thread
OOS
@CubsFan44 @JSOLAN3 @WheatLom @BeaverLover @udmsoccer6 @tooloo123
Definitely bummed. but remember what Brian told us "Just because we don't love you at first doesn't mean we won't love you later!"
STAY MOTIVATED my friends, we are here for each other, back to studying for me

EDIT: added @Preddskid @dentaldreams2021
That makes 9 of us now. REMEMBER, although we sometimes cannot change the cards we are dealt, we can definitely change how we play our hand, we all still have a lot to prepare for and look forward to!

EDIT2: @Thinkthink @MickeyMouse45 11 now! Deep breaths everyone
Has anyone that was waitlisted been contacted from the waitlist?

the fact that they put rejected students also on waitlist annoys me. technically i dont even know my status. I sincerely hope that we both get in. :thumbup:
What do you mean? Haven't rejected students been notified of their rejection?

the fact that they put rejected students also on waitlist annoys me. technically i dont even know my status. I sincerely hope that we both get in. :thumbup:

I think rejected students have been told they have been rejected, even those who have interviewed.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if they gave out more interviews (post-dec)?

well Folks, who are waitlisted I can tell it is very stressful to be waitlisted. MikeMouse45, I am waitlisted as well, and I have learned 19AA is not a bad score actually it is a good score to apply for dental school. Furthermore, who knows maybe your friends have good PAT score, research paper that got published, and 3.8 or higher GPA. Also, no one can have amazing GPA if they are not able to maintain grades in four year school upon transferring from a community college. In addition to this, how can we say that we got 20AA or 21AA and we worked hard and someone with 19AA didn't work hard. I feel interview is very important factor for selection into a dental school, they might be sharp minded and able to convince the selection committee that they are good fit for their school. well, i feel the same stress, stay hopeful and be patient for your turn.

well Folks, who are waitlisted I can tell it is very stressful to be waitlisted. MikeMouse45, I am waitlisted as well, and I have learned 19AA is not a bad score actually it is a good score to apply for dental school. Furthermore, who knows maybe your friends have good PAT score, research paper that got published, and 3.8 or higher GPA. Also, no one can have amazing GPA if they are not able to maintain grades in four year school upon transferring from a community college. In addition to this, how can we say that we got 20AA or 21AA and we worked hard and someone with 19AA didn't work hard. I feel interview is very important factor for selection into a dental school, they might be sharp minded and able to convince the selection committee that they are good fit for their school. well, i feel the same stress, stay hopeful and be patient for your turn.
I am not saying only score is everything. yes 18 and 19 are good scores. adcoms look at gpa score, interview score, and dat score when making a decision. However, there are students who have 23AA and 3.4 gpa and are waitlisted. The reason for low gpa could be that the student was working long hours to support himself/ family financially and at the same time trying to do well in his challenging science classes. Interviews play a huge role but I dont think anyone acts stupid in interview. I dont think PAT score alone or research work makes any difference unless your interviewing at research oriented school. my GPA is below 3.8 because i have been working part/full time since high school and I am doing double major at a very competitive undergraduate school. The only thing we can do at this stage is to patiently wait till the cycle is over.

I was accepted off waitlist first week of January. In state. Stay positive everyone!

Does anyone know if there is a Facebook page or something to meet other people who were accepted into the Marquette class of 2021? I am trying to find a roommate for the fall. Thanks!

got an invite today for an interview on Feb 17th

edit: will be turning it down though

Last edited:
got an invite today for an interview on Feb 17th

edit: will be turning it down though

Also received an interview for that date. It said "It is important for you to know that the February 17, 2017 interview day is specifically for applicants we are targeting for our summer Pre-Enrollment Support Program (PESP). Students accepted through this program are required to successfully complete this six week program before full matriculation can happen at the end of August." Anyone know much about this program or the odds of being selected for it if you're getting an interview this late?

Also received an interview for that date. It said "It is important for you to know that the February 17, 2017 interview day is specifically for applicants we are targeting for our summer Pre-Enrollment Support Program (PESP). Students accepted through this program are required to successfully complete this six week program before full matriculation can happen at the end of August." Anyone know much about this program or the odds of being selected for it if you're getting an interview this late?
Same, not really interested in wasting my time

Same, not really interested in wasting my time

I mean it is basically saying that they will give you full acceptance, but would feel better about the applicant doing a little support work that will help them. This is still an opportunity to go to dental school. It isn't always a waste of time. I am sure the odds are there seeing they have specifically chosen people for this situation. I would say worth a shot especially if someone does not have an acceptance or really wants to go to Marquette.

I also got invited to the February 17th interview. I reserved my interview slot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know how many seats are left in the class? Or if more offers will be extended?

Just called to check my status they said I should hear back from them in the next few weeks.... does this mean shes telling me I will be rejected soon?

=(

Just called to check my status they said I should hear back from them in the next few weeks.... does this mean shes telling me I will be rejected soon?

=(
Are you on the waitlist?
Did they tell you anything else about where they are in the process?

=(

Yes, I also second that. Do you know where they are in process?

are they sending out more offers this week?
They said during my interview on Friday that they have 5 seats remaining open that will be filled this coming week. These seats were reserved for the PESP interviews.

They are putting the alternate pool together in March, so look out for that. And After April 1st, they will know where all of their students who reserved seats have reserved spaces. Meaning that if they reserved a seat at Marquette and another school and choose to attend the other school, that seat will open up. So a new set of offers will be sent out in April to fill those spots. They told us during the interview that the alternate pool will not be ranked based on how good of an interviewee you were, so everyone has an equal chance of getting picked. So if you are placed in the alternate pool, there is still a chance you could get accepted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
They said during my interview on Friday that they have 5 seats remaining open that will be filled this coming week. These seats were reserved for the PESP interviews.

They are putting the alternate pool together in March, so look out for that. And After April 1st, they will know where all of their students who reserved seats have reserved spaces. Meaning that if they reserved a seat at Marquette and another school and choose to attend the other school, that seat will open up. So a new set of offers will be sent out in April to fill those spots. They told us during the interview that the alternate pool will not be ranked based on how good of an interviewee you were, so everyone has an equal chance of getting picked. So if you are placed in the alternate pool, there is still a chance you could get accepted.

The 5 seats are reserved for PESP, or they were and currently aren't? Also what is PESP lol

The 5 seats are reserved for PESP, or they were and currently aren't? Also what is PESP lol
The seats are reserved for the PESP people currently. So as of right now, there would be no openly available seats for the other applicants.

PESP (Pre-Enrollment Support Program) is a six week summer program Marquette's dental school has that is designated to ease the transition into dental school for applicants that are from underrepresented groups, financially in need or showed some academic weakness in undergrad or on the DAT (I was included because of my 3.2 overall GPA and 2.7 science GPA). I believe they interviewed 24 individuals (12 total interviewed my day on February 17th, and 12 another day earlier) for a set of 10 reserved seats in the class of 2021. If the individuals complete the six week program, they receive official matriculation. In short, it is like a crash course in what to expect in dental school in an effort to increase retention.

The seats are reserved for the PESP people currently. So as of right now, there would be no openly available seats for the other applicants.

PESP (Pre-Enrollment Support Program) is a six week summer program Marquette's dental school has that is designated to ease the transition into dental school for applicants that are from underrepresented groups, financially in need or showed some academic weakness in undergrad or on the DAT (I was included because of my 3.2 overall GPA and 2.7 science GPA). I believe they interviewed 24 individuals (12 total interviewed my day on February 17th, and 12 another day earlier) for a set of 10 reserved seats in the class of 2021. If the individuals complete the six week program, they receive official matriculation. In short, it is like a crash course in what to expect in dental school in an effort to increase retention.
damn, well that blows lol

Fret not. There is still hope for all applicants who haven't received an official rejection (which they have sent out already).
I'm OOS but haven't received a rejection. Should I give up on Marquette at this point?

I'm OOS but haven't received a rejection. Should I give up on Marquette at this point?
I'm not sure if OOS has a completely different time line. For you, I'd recommend calling the school to inquire about where they are with OOS applicants specifically. Even so, I feel it is best to stay positive and not abandon hope just yet.