The Official May 22, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fenderboi930

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think many of you will agree that today is a great day to officially prepare for the May 22nd MCAT!!!

I was against the April 2015 MCAT because a typical 3 month schedule doesn't seem to work for
students and/or working test takers. With a little over 4 months of preparation we can go in with confidence!
It's all new and really scary--so let's kick MCAT butt together!!

I was also wondering, wouldn't many professional MCAT test takers and tutors want to take the MCAT 2015 as soon
as possible (April MCAT) so they can better they're material or teaching? Wouldn't that just destroy the curve?

Members don't see this ad.

Here are the resources I think I am going to be using in order of importance; hope it helps you all get more organized too! This is obviously in addition to the AAMC tests and SA's and whatever else they end up releasing. I think I will be using the Khan Academy videos more as a review; it doesn't seem very comprehensive as to covering everything listed on the new outline. I have bolded and underlined the materials I am considering getting but am still unsure about.

Biology:
-Content: 1) TBR Part 1 & 2, 2) TPR (old), 3) Khan Academy Vids
-Passages: 1) TBR, 2) TPRH Science Workbook, 3) AAMC Bio SA (old), 4) Khan

Biochemistry:
-Content: 1) TBR Part 2, 2) Kaplan Biochemistry, 3) Lehninger
-Passages: 1) TBR, 2) NextStep Strategy and Practice, 3) TPRH Science Workbook, 4) Khan

General Chemistry:
-Content: 1) TBR, 2) Khan Academy Vids
-Passages: 1) TBR, 2) TPRH Science Workbook, 3) AAMC GC SA (old), 4) Khan

Organic Chemistry:
-Passages: 1) TBR, 2) TPRH Science Workbook, 3) AAMC Organic SA (old), 4) Khan

Physics:
-Passages: 1) TBR, 2) TPRH Science Workbook, 3) AAMC Physics SA (old), 4) Khan

Psychology & Sociology:
-Content: 1) Kaplan Behavioral Sciences, 2) Khan Academy Vids
-Passages: ???? Not sure about this 1) NextStep Strategy and Practice, 2) Khan

CARS/Verbal:
-Passages: 1) TPRH Verbal (old), 2) EK 101, 3) NextStep CARS, 3) AAMC Verbal SA, 4) TBR Verbal??

Practice Tests:
-Old AAMC's 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
-3 Kaplan Tests
-4 Princeton Review Tests
-NextStep if necessary? Anyone recommend these?

If anyone has ideas about what passages to do for the Psych section (feedback on NextStep strategy books?), I would appreciate it! Also, can anyone speak to how many passages are in each new EK book as well? Worth considering?

I was under the impression that Khan passages should be almost akin to those from AAMC since they have stressed Khan so much and are considering it their material due to their immense collaboration?

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the general opinion on organic chemistry? Is everyone doing the TBR books? It's only 5%, I don't know if I should waste time studying it heavily.

Reactions: 1 user
Joining in here. I'll be taking TPR course starting February 19th. At a standstill with where to start studying before then.

May 22 is my planned day. I'm taking the TPR Course (started 01/27) and will potentially use some of the old TBR passages for more review if necessary. However, I think the TPR stuff should be good Ive been reviewing stuff 1-2 hours daily. I did fine when I took my classes; I just have to get the rust off the chains its been a while since Ive done some of this stuff.

Good luck to everyone!

For those of you who are taking the TPR course, do you guys like the TPR online component? Do they provide you with a lot of practice questions?

And is the TPRHSW any different from the old one?

Joining in here. I'll be taking TPR course starting February 19th. At a standstill with where to start studying before then.

May 22 is my planned day. I'm taking the TPR Course (started 01/27) and will potentially use some of the old TBR passages for more review if necessary. However, I think the TPR stuff should be good Ive been reviewing stuff 1-2 hours daily. I did fine when I took my classes; I just have to get the rust off the chains its been a while since Ive done some of this stuff.

Good luck to everyone!

For those of you who are taking the TPR course, do you guys like the TPR online component? Do they provide you with a lot of practice questions?

And is the TPRHSW any different from the old one?

First post!

I took the TPR course for the old MCAT and found the online component helpful for additional practice. There were plenty of practice questions and practice exams... Didn't do well, so will retake this April or May.

Also, I repurchased the MCAT2015 package (self-study) and found that the TPRHSW had similar passages to the old one, but also some new passages. The new TPRHSW doesn't have any FSQs like the old one, which is kind of a bummer.

Did you buy them?? And are they the same as old mcat tests? I'm so happy they are cheap!
I just bought them but I haven't looked at them yet. I was reading someone's post on a different thread and they said there are some repeats from the old SAs. I'm going to look over them tomorrow and see.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just looked at the first biology pack. Definitely recognized a passage dealing with H. pylori. I can't remember if the old SA's were the same, but you only have access to each question pack 20 times.

Just looked at the first biology pack. Definitely recognized a passage dealing with H. pylori. I can't remember if the old SA's were the same, but you only have access to each question pack 20 times.
By access do u meanlikesolve the passage or does reviewing them count?

I think attempts at solving because it says "remaining starts." Here's how it looks:

Edit: I deleted the picture, it was freaking huge since I posted it from my phone haha. I'll PM it to you.

Last edited:
I will be re-writing the test this year - I wrote the old one and have all materials for it. What study plan/materials should I use this time? I am on a low budget :(
I took the TPR course and have the materials/books, also have TBR package.

For 2015, I got the Kaplan 528 book and have been watching the Khan Academy videos.

Anyone else in the same position (re-writing in 2015)? What materials are you using?

Gahhhh. Took the old test in December. My motivation is at an all time low right now with this new test...

Does anyone know how detailed the new biochem will be on the mcat? I am taking a one semester course and its super in depth. I didn't buy a book for the new biochem section. For example we learning beta bulges and collageb triple helix?

I don't think it will be that detailed. It doesn't seem to go super in depth in any one area, but it covers the important stuff.

I don't think it will be that detailed. It doesn't seem to go super in depth in any one area, but it covers the important stuff.
Just got through the test. I thought the questions and the material was straight up and pretty easy. But the passages were pretty complicated...

The official practice test you mean?? How was it different from the old mcat?
Ya my bad. I went through and looked at the passages and questions but didn't really take it. Lot of experimental passages and they were longer then the old mcat. I thought the questions and content you have to know is straight forward. The biochem you have to know is pretty straight up and not overly detailed. You can only see one question at a time which is pretty stupid in my opinion and nuisance.

Ya my bad. I went through and looked at the passages and questions but didn't really take it. Lot of experimental passages and they were longer then the old mcat. I thought the questions and content you have to know is straight forward. The biochem you have to know is pretty straight up and not overly detailed. You can only see one question at a time which is pretty stupid in my opinion and nuisance.
Yea that format will be annoying..but good to know they are emphasizing critical thinking instead of content bc I feel like I will never finish content review...
Thanks for your input!

Will be starting on Monday to prep for this exam date. Is there still a good amount of time for me to begin or should I hold off until June?

Will be starting on Monday to prep for this exam date. Is there still a good amount of time for me to begin or should I hold off until June?
It depends how fresh you on the pre reqs for the exam?
So dumb we have to wait extra for score and we don't get any kind of giftcard!

@linsanity17 You might want to try using Next Step's Practice book for Psych/Soc.
I am using the TBR passages and was wondering whether these would be as helpful for the new MCAT as they were for the older version of the exam. The new exam will have passages that are much more "research"/experimental type passages. Any thoughts?

I was planning to do SN2ed with TBR, but was wondering if this would not be as helpful for the new exam? I have the new EK books as well and I plan to read though those too.

It depends how fresh you on the pre reqs for the exam?
So dumb we have to wait extra for score and we don't get any kind of giftcard!

Gen bio (fall/spring 2009/2010)
Sociology (fall 2011)
Gen Chem ( summer 2012)
Physics and orgo ( fall/spring 2012/2013)
Biochem (fall 2013)
Psychology (winter 2015)

I know we're only like 2-3 weeks apart we should be be getting it too! But yeah I'm pretty good with bio because I took a lot of upper levels my last two years of undergrad so the material is still fresh in my mind. I'd say that orgo and physics were the hardest for me and I've forgotten a good chunk of it.

How many passages are there in each section. I know the number of questions, but what about the passages? Overall do we have more time on this exam?

Also how is everyone studying for the new sections 1) biochem 2) behavioral (psych/soc) in terms of content/practice problems?

@nolookpass
Biochem- combo of TBR, Khan videos and my class notes.
Psych/Socio- TPR book and Khan videos.
Of course, I'm also following the AAMC content guidelines to make sure I cover whats needed. For practice, I'm using TBR passages (biochem), Khan academy (both) and the AAMC practice materials. Eventually, I will probably buy NS strategy/practice books for more practice passages.

@blahblahpremeds , I think the Khan academy passages are a good resource for the new "experimental/research" focus. Also, for those who need more help in that area, EK's reasoning skills book has a really good section focusing on stats and ways to approach the research/experimental passages.

@nolookpass
Biochem- combo of TBR, Khan videos and my class notes.
Psych/Socio- TPR book and Khan videos.
Of course, I'm also following the AAMC content guidelines to make sure I cover whats needed. For practice, I'm using TBR passages (biochem), Khan academy (both) and the AAMC practice materials. Eventually, I will probably buy NS strategy/practice books for more practice passages.

@blahblahpremeds , I think the Khan academy passages are a good resource for the new "experimental/research" focus. Also, for those who need more help in that area, EK's reasoning skills book has a really good section focusing on stats and ways to approach the research/experimental passages.

I hear about using TBR for Biochem a lot so I just want to clear this up. The old TBR for biology is mostly enough for the new biochem section?

Also sorry if you answered this, but what practice passages will you use for psych/soc. Is Khan the only available source? I'm worried about that section since I have never taken a class in either subject.

Last edited:
@nolookpass So I think TBR for biochem is really thorough for the metabolism stuff. In regards to amino acids & protein section (i.e. protein folding, etc) I'm not sure. Like I said, I'm using my class notes to review that content. KA has some videos going over aa and protein. If that isn't enough I guess you can grab a copy of the Kaplan biochem book to supplement.

For psych/socio, I am using Khan + TPR + AAMC practice qs. One of my undergrad majors was psychology so I'm not to worried about practice. I will say TPR is a good review book for this section.

@nolookpass So I think TBR for biochem is really thorough for the metabolism stuff. In regards to amino acids & protein section (i.e. protein folding, etc) I'm not sure. Like I said, I'm using my class notes to review that content. KA has some videos going over aa and protein. If that isn't enough I guess you can grab a copy of the Kaplan biochem book to supplement.

For psych/socio, I am using Khan + TPR + AAMC practice qs. One of my undergrad majors was psychology so I'm not to worried about practice. I will say TPR is a good review book for this section.

Thanks. I was under the impression that TPR book was just content? It has questions as well? And what AAMC practice questions are you referring to? Supposedly no AAMC package is being released for Psych/Soc

@nolookpass
Well, TPR has a set of FSQ & one passage after every chapter. There about 7 chapters of content so there is about 7 passages & maybe 25-35 FSQs. So AAMC has online practice questions linked to their guideline book. Its 120 questions, so 30 qustions per section. It's not a lot but coupled with KA passages it's alright. Like I said before, NS strategy & practice book for psych/socio may be a good book to buy also since it strictly has passages and no content.

@GEToutLADYits6AM I find myself studying anywhere from 3-8 hours/day. Depending on whats going on that day.
Sometimes I'll study straight through or I break my study sessions in parts. Ill study 3-4 hrs at a time, twice a day.

And yes its a lot of info but if you have a study plan/schedule and stick to it, you'll be fine. We have a little over 14 weeks left to study

Figured it out.

AAMC is not announcing a time. I think it's to prevent an overflow and their website shutting down. They said they will tweet it out though. My gut feeling is saying 9AM

I'm half way around the world right now and was able to get in just now like 10 mins ago to sign up. THERE'S BEEN NO TWITTER UPDATE. I was just checking for the sake of checking and I was shocked to find I got in immediately. I hope this doesn't turn out to be some technical accident and they'll tell me tomorrow that my registration wasn't valid or something.

Registered.

Anyone ever take the exam in NYC 1 Plaza? How is it?

I've taken other exams at this location, its descent. No distractions, you don't hear the busy NYC nice at all!
Aslo once you're done with the exam you can shop as a gift to yourself for taking this horrendous test :D:soexcited: