The Official May 22, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fenderboi930

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think many of you will agree that today is a great day to officially prepare for the May 22nd MCAT!!!

I was against the April 2015 MCAT because a typical 3 month schedule doesn't seem to work for
students and/or working test takers. With a little over 4 months of preparation we can go in with confidence!
It's all new and really scary--so let's kick MCAT butt together!!

I was also wondering, wouldn't many professional MCAT test takers and tutors want to take the MCAT 2015 as soon
as possible (April MCAT) so they can better they're material or teaching? Wouldn't that just destroy the curve?

Members don't see this ad.

whats the final school you're waiting on???

Also fam can you help me trying to solve this MCAT question.

A sample of monatomic ideal gas is taken through an adiabatic expansion and is then isothermally compressed until the gas returns to its original pressure. Which of the following is true of this process?

1. The net heat input into the gas is zero.

2. The net work done by the gas is zero.

3. The final state of the gas has a lower total

internal energy than the initial state.

4. The final state of the gas has a higher

average temperature than the initial state.
why are you doing mcat??

whats the final school you're waiting on???

Also fam can you help me trying to solve this MCAT question.

A sample of monatomic ideal gas is taken through an adiabatic expansion and is then isothermally compressed until the gas returns to its original pressure. Which of the following is true of this process?

1. The net heat input into the gas is zero.

2. The net work done by the gas is zero.

3. The final state of the gas has a lower total

internal energy than the initial state.

4. The final state of the gas has a higher

average temperature than the initial state.
pMed you answer and explanation

adiabatic = no change in Q. Isothermal = no change in U. W + if compressed, - if expanded. Gotta use U=Q+or-W.

Step 1= U is -, Q=0 and W=- and same mag as U
Step 2= U =o, Q=-, W=+ and same mag as Q.

So U has decreased overall, Q has decreased overall, and W has decreased then increased. So we cant be sure what it has done. 1 is wrong cause Q decreased. 2 is wrong because we dont know mags of W. 3 is correct. 4 is the opposite of 3 so its wrong

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So orientation starts tomorrow and Atlanta is boiling. See you all later! Good luck to all at orientation

Reactions: 3 users
Orientation starts on Monday, we're leaving on Friday. I'm both totally ready and not ready at all, haha.

Oh and BTW, I think I mentioned a few months ago that I was trying to get my license. Well, yesterday I finally got it! And I bought a new car. So exciting!

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
So glad I have another two weeks to get my stuff together at my new apartment, but also kinda anxious to start. Good luck everybody at orientation!

Reactions: 2 users
So excited for everyone! I have finished the majority of my secondaries for app cycle #2 and just got a dog yesterday!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First exam next Monday... The amount of info that needs to go into my brain has reached biblical dimensions *hyperventilating*

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Man I'm really glad that Cincinnati starts us off slow. We had a week of orientation, and now we're on our second of two weeks of first responder training. I thought I was gonna hate it but it's actually awesome, I feel like I've learned a lot of relevant stuff. And then after this week we have three weeks of "Physician and Society". And then the hard sciences start. I definitely could not have started learning biochem right off the bat.

Good luck y'all! I am waiting to be reviewed at the rest of my schools this cycle, but already have 2 II's at both LECOM campuses!

Reactions: 4 users
Man I'm really glad that Cincinnati starts us off slow. We had a week of orientation, and now we're on our second of two weeks of first responder training. I thought I was gonna hate it but it's actually awesome, I feel like I've learned a lot of relevant stuff. And then after this week we have three weeks of "Physician and Society". And then the hard sciences start. I definitely could not have started learning biochem right off the bat.
My school seems to have a similar philosophy. We have four weeks of basically physicians and society before diving right in. I'm glad to have the slow wade in!

Reactions: 1 user
allanMED15, how is this cycle?

It's not too bad so far! My advisor finally submitted my committee letter last week so I am under review everywhere now. I do have 2 II's at both LECOM (DO) campuses. Hoping for more here pretty soon!

I have big news guys! Recently received an acceptance to LECOM Bradenton! Still a long way to go to determine where I'll end up, but I am excited either way!

Reactions: 9 users
I haven't posted on here in ages, but I have an interview this Friday and one 2 weeks from Friday (at my top school)

I'll post any updates

Congrats Allan and anyone else with happy outcomes so far :)

Reactions: 7 users
I have big news guys! Recently received an acceptance to LECOM Bradenton! Still a long way to go to determine where I'll end up, but I am excited either way!
Hope it is the first of many, but I am glad you are going to be a doctor.
I haven't posted on here in ages, but I have an interview this Friday and one 2 weeks from Friday (at my top school)

I'll post any updates

Congrats Allan and anyone else with happy outcomes so far :)
Good luck!

Same! My classmates are crazy intelligent and I'm way more immature than them. Never thought I'd say this, but tbh, I might take a gap year if I had the time all over again to re-do. But as everyone said, I'm adoring it. This is what I wanted and what I was born to do for sure.

Head and neck exam tomorrow guys, wish me luck. Then just upper limb and I'm done with anatomayayayay

We don't even start anatomy till next semester, and it's spaced out over three semesters (through the end of M2). From what I've heard about anatomy, it seems I should be grateful for that haha.

Quick update. I have 4 more II's in the next month and my interview at ETSU (my top choice state school that I was waitlisted at last cycle) in 2 weeks! This cycle is so much better than the last!

Reactions: 5 users
you guys didn't have anatomy for the full semester? I can't imagine them condensing it any more than this

We have anatomy over the course of 3 semesters. I don't really get what the point of learning it all at once is. Why not just learn the relevant anatomy in each block? Like our first block next semester is musculoskeletal so we'll learn origins and insertions and stuff. Then the next block is Brain, Mind, and Behavior so I assume we'll do the nervous system anatomy during that block.

I just interviewed at a school that stretched anatomy out over the first 3 semesters like @Lannister mentioned. I don't understand why more schools don't do this.

Also, I should be hearing from my state school (ETSU) post interview in 2 weeks! If it's good news, I may call the cycle after that!
And I just received an II to Indiana!

I just interviewed at a school that stretched anatomy out over the first 3 semesters like @Lannister mentioned. I don't understand why more schools don't do this.

Also, I should be hearing from my state school (ETSU) post interview in 2 weeks! If it's good news, I may call the cycle after that!
And I just received an II to Indiana!

I'm so glad this cycle is going so well for you!!! :D

Happy Thanksgiving all! Home for a few days, but I am studying instead of shopping with the family. Good luck to all.

First semester almost thru guys. 1/8th of the way to that MD

Before we know it it'll be 1/4

I am struggling to make it through these last few weeks. It seems like they're throwing everything at us all at once. Next week we've got our first dissection and a clinical skills exam, in addition to our weekly Monday exam. Then the week after that we have a weekly exam on Monday, a histology exam and anatomy lab practical on Wednesday, and our block final exam on Friday. :bang:I'm most nervous for the clinical skills and anatomy practical since I have no idea what to expect. And then of course on top of all that we have a bunch of dumb little assignments, AND I'm stressing over trying to figure out what I want to do this summer.

OH and for some reason I volunteered to be an interviewer next Tuesday so that's going to take like 4 hours out of my study time.

:( Awwww I'm sorry Lanny!

It's all good, somehow I ended up killing my weekly exam today so that restored a bit of my morale. Just gotta take it one day at a time!
Do you guys all go until Dec 16th? I cannot believe I'm less than two weeks away from finishing the first semester of med school. It really seems like just yesterday I was sitting in the middle of a forest refreshing the MCAT score page and hyperventilating.