1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

*The Official MCAT April 2018 Thread*

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by MCATKINGS, Feb 25, 2018.

1. MCATKINGS

Classifieds Approved

Pre-Medical
    This is the Official MCAT April 2018 Test Taker Thread.

I created this because people keep bumping posts from years ago for some reason with comments. I don't know why 2016 and 2017 test day threads are coming up to the front page of MCAT Discussions.

Comment if you're taking the test in April and hopefully this can be the thread leading april test takers up to exam day and where score releases are celebrated!

Discuss your score and resources that helped you once you get your scores back.

If you have materials to sell - For Sale and Advertisements

#1 MCATKINGS, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. NuNu95

Pre-Medical
    April 20th here!

4. Ringostar

Pre-Medical
    April 6th here. Almost done with skimming through content review and about to get on practice test. Thinking about taking practice tests while checking if I miss any part. (OChem is going to be most challenging to me) I was wondering if anyone has some idea about section bank and qpacks - I don't know if I should buy them all. The price adds up quite pricey. Working full time at the lab and squeeze as much time as possible to study. Primary goal is to hold my full focus through entire section and it seems to be very challenging to me. So far my endurance lasts about 75-80 min :( any thoughts?

5. NuNu95

Pre-Medical
    The advice that I have heard from others who have drastically improved their C/P score was to do the AAMC Chemistry and Physics question packs sooner rather than later. I just started on them so I can't personally vouch for any improvement in my score just yet. I'm doing a kaplan course right now and they have section tests and I've been doing a CARS section test and C/P section test every other weekend and I think it's very helpful to work on pacing and just finding weak points in the content without taking an entire FL. If you can get your hands on some section tests maybe you can work on focus? :)

6. Ringostar

Pre-Medical
    Thanks! I was debating if I want to put AAMC material later or jump in asap. I've been focusing on mental preparation as well since I tend to get struck by anxiety XD Will probably start section banks this weekend.

NuNu95 likes this.
  7. confusedstudent2195

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    April 6th here! In a kaplan course and using KA with reddit resources for content review since I struggling reading from textbooks. Taking a AAMC FL on friday! Scared. I took a kaplan FL weeks ago and my score was TERRIBLE. So I've been a big ball of stress ever since.

8. Ringostar

Pre-Medical
    I heard that 3rd party FLs can be a bit more difficult than AAMC ones, so don't get too discouraged by it. How did you do on AAMC FL? I am going to take one tomorrow as well! :)

9. notthrowingawaymyshot

Pre-Medical
    First time poster here! Taking the MCAT April 6th!!! Time is just flying by :dead:

10. confusedstudent2195

Hey! Great news. Score improved 10 points from Kaplan to AAMC. Still lots of work to do! How did yours end up? I analyzed my guesses and wrong answers as well. I need to work on sociology, genetics, and for some reason CARS wasn't as good as expected, but that's okay! I'm using KA videos as my content review because I can't focus on my kaplan books to save my life! I watch them on 2x speed with some notes and resources from Reddit!

How's everyone's study strategy working for them? :)

11. confusedstudent2195

yes... almost too fast...sometimes I wonder if I have enough time lol!

notthrowingawaymyshot likes this.
  12. dno

dno

Pre-Medical
    April 6th for me too! Working through the section banks!

13. br2pi5

Pre-Medical
    just recently changed my testing date from 3/24 to 4/6 due to external reasons but glad I have the extra 2 weeks now! this is my second time around and I'm hoping for a 510+ (that is the goal but we shall see!!) :)

confusedstudent2195 likes this.
  14. confusedstudent2195

Since you took the test what are your top recommendations to prepare in your opinion?! Best of luck!

NuNu95 likes this.
  15. NuNu95

Pre-Medical
    Anyone have any advice on how to improve CARS? That section has been such a pain for me.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Ilovepenguins

April 21st! Finished content review last week and started taking practice tests. So far I’ve taken Nextstep and planning on taking Kaplan this weekend. I have 46 days until the exam so If anyone has any suggestions to stay on top of everything, please let me know! I’m aiming for 515+

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Nicole Kidd and WrldPeace like this.
  18. Mcat_420_2018

Pre-Medical
    Hi all, long time lurker here.

I have been studying since January 13th 2018 with the goal of taking on 4/21/18. I work full time in a lab, use Anki flashcards based on Kaplan content books, take a EK 101 passage at lunch, and study 3-4 hours per day after work(M-F). I have been taking a FL on Saturdays for the past 5 weeks or so. Sundays I don't do much, try to keep up with my Anki deck.

Test scores:

Kaplan FL1 2/3/18: 499 123, 125, 127, 124

Kaplan FL2 2/10/18: 502 126, 125, 126, 125,

Kaplan FL3 2/17/18: 501 123, 127, 127, 124

AAMC sample 2/24/18: 64%, 91%, 85%, 75%

TPR FL1 3/10/18: 499 123, 126, 124, 126 [I took this after studying P/S for the past week hard. Also because I knew I would score poorly, and be pushed into a panic so I would start studying harder- hence this post]

I plan to take a NS FL next week, and will disperse the final AAMC FLs 1-3 leading right up to my test date. I started the P/S section bank, am half-way through, and plan to start the q-packs and section banks for chem this week.

Heres the rub: I feel like I am only 3/4 of the way through my content, if that, and starting to question whether I should push back my exam date. I know I need to hit C/P super hard, but should I just focus most of my time doing C/P questions non stop? I am a biochemistry major so I have done little studying for B/B, and haven't really reviewed any metabolic pathways which keep popping up, but feel like I can atleast reason my way reason through them.

Anyone have ideas how I should spend my last month? I was hoping for a 515+, but it feels like time is against me.

Thanks!

19. confusedstudent2195

Hi! I'm taking my exam on april 6th and I'm definitely not even close to being done with reviewing content. Sounds crazy right? But anyways... I think you should take the NS FL 1. I took it Friday and according to reddit it is pretty indicative of where you're at. I am currently in a kaplan course and tbh they make their tests way harder than the real exam and while it may light a fire under your a** to study it doesn't help with knowing where you are progress wise in my opinion. I think your scores are great for those kaplan tests honestly! I got a 490 on my first FL and I pretty much died on the inside. I was early in my prep.

ANYWAAAYYYY. I learn best by videos and Khan Ac. videos have helped me tremendously. So I would recommend those for lacking content and in the mean time doing as much AAMC practice as possible. You're sooo on the right track with starting the section banks. I'm going to start those as well. Continue that, see what you need to work on based on the section banks and go form there. I would recommend taking a FL 1x a week if you can to gauge progress.

20. ThunderDog

Pre-Medical
    Hi all! I will be taking my third MCAT on April 6th. The first two times I was too prideful and stingy to spend money on a review course. I mean I graduated with honors with a 3.9 GPA, so I thought I would be fine with just reviewing content. I had no idea how wrong I was. The MCAT is such a different test from anything I have ever taken. The review course from NextStep has helped me improve my score drastically.

My first MCAT I scored a 493. I retook it a month later with just content review and scored a 500. However, I still received three interviews from Texas schools, but no acceptances. Now, my score is ranging from around 511-513. Good luck to you all for this month and I will be praying for y'all!

Ad2b and confusedstudent2195 like this.
  21. br2pi5

Pre-Medical
    eeeeek about 3 weeks+ til exam day! :corny:

22. confusedstudent2195

thank you! Good luck to you as well. Any advice on what you would do differently if you could go back in time?

23. confusedstudent2195

I've been working through the AAMC question pack! They're tough! The kaplan tips for CARS have helped me a lot

NuNu95 likes this.
  24. notthrowingawaymyshot

Pre-Medical
    Check out the Khan Academy CARS practice too! Also something that helps me is using some of those sites that help you read more quickly, and just trying to read a couple articles every day to get used to reading and comprehending things on the spot.

NuNu95 and confusedstudent2195 like this.
  25. ChickRick16

Pre-Medical
    Hi! I'm taking the MCAT April 6th (this will be my second time). I finished content review a couple weeks ago and have taken 4 FLs at this point (3 TPR and 1 AAMC). My first AAMC FL score was already higher than my first actual MCAT score, so hopefully I can keep that momentum! Looking to score around a 515 so if anybody has any advice, I will be very appreciative!

26. Xanias

Pre-Medical
    Scheduled to take my MCAT on April 20th. Need advice on whether I should postpone till May; Scores so far;

AAMC Sample Test; C/P (78%), CARS (68%), B/B (72%), P/S (81%)

Next Step FL1; 508 - C/P (127), CARS (126), B/B (126), P/S (129)

Next Step FL2; 507- C/P (127), CARS (125), B/B (127), P/S (128)

Next Step FL3; 504- C/P (126), CARS (124), B/B (126), P/S (128)

AAMC Official Guide; C/P (21/30), CARS (27/30), B/B (26/30), P/S (27/30)

AAMC FL1; 509- C/P (129), CARS (125), B/B (128), P/S (127)

CARS Q-Pack Volume 1; 68 % (untimed)

CARS Q-Pack Volume 2; 70 % (untimed)

B/B Section Bank- 77 % (untimed)

C/P Section Bank- 83 % (untimed)

I am worried because it seems like the Next Step Full lengths are inflated below a 510; and I know that the sample test is way easier than the real thing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#24 Xanias, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  27. 8kmlg

Pre-Medical
    Hi All,

I just took my first EK FL ... 46% Exam is end of April. Please give me tips and help!!! Will do section back next couple days and then continue to do EK FL 2 and 3, NK FL 1, and then AAMC 1-3. Advice will be helpful!! Crying a river over here (not technically but really really close).

28. notthrowingawaymyshot

Pre-Medical
    Try doing the AAMC Sample Exam next, it will give you more of a feel of how the AAMC writes their questions and how they want you to think, and also that score might be a bit more representative of where you're at right now. The advice I keep getting from top scorers is to do as many practice problems and practice exams as you can, part of the battle is just being able to sit there and focus for 7+ hours, as well as being able to critically think and find answers that are most likely given to you in the passages.

29. confusedstudent2195

Hey guys! Any opinions on the Next Step Full lengths? I'm considering buying them :)

30. Xanias

Pre-Medical
    Here's a thread I wrote about what I think about the Next Step Full lengths:

NEXT STEP Full Lengths Scale Inflation

31. confusedstudent2195

thank you! I really appreciate you reaching out about this. There are only 3 AAMC FL's and I already took 1 of them. Recommendations on other companies maybe? I refuse to do any of my kaplan ones. They're demoralizing.

32. Xanias

Pre-Medical
    I don't think Next Step is a bad choice; you just have to keep in mind the issue of their scoring scale. They are definitely much better than Kaplan. EK beats Next Step in CARS, but they are more content oriented and are more expensive (I believe 50 bucks a pop?). My advice would be to buy Next Step as I think overall they seem to be the best; however don't go crazy over the CARS section. I would instead use Jack Westin Section tests for CARS (there are 5 of them free on his website). Use AAMC to predict scores and other companies for practice.

33. initialize

Pre-Medical
    So far I’ve been taking Kaplan tests... did someone mention that they’re harder than the actual test? And is NextStep harder than Kaplan’s tests?

NuNu95 likes this.
  34. NuNu95

Pre-Medical
    I’ve been working on the section banks and they’re tough only getting about around 70% correct. Have any of you started on the AAMC section banks?

35. confusedstudent2195

That's my plan after I take a full length tomorrow! Starting those ASAP. I heard they're very hard!

36. NuNu95

Pre-Medical
    Which FL are you taking? I’m taking the AAMC Sample FL tomorrow. I’m pretty nervous to see where i stand on an actual AAMC test

37. confusedstudent2195

Just bought the Next Step 4 FL's package. I did the 2nd one this morning. Jesus Christ that was hard! -__- I got a 1 point increase despite me thinking about how difficult it was the whole time. So I'll take my small victory and run with it. I took aamc FL 1 2 weeks ago! I really liked that one. But you're April 20th so I feel like you're fine starting with the sample test! i don't think the scoring is the same as the 2015 MCAT. Might be a percentage for the sample!

NuNu95 likes this.
  38. NuNu95

Pre-Medical
    Congrats, that’s great! Any score increase is a sign of improvement so you should be proud! :) Yeah the sample test that I took just gave percentages, but I’m planning on taking AAMC 2 & 3 this upcoming month!

#36 NuNu95, Mar 16, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  39. confusedstudent2195

Thank you! I agree! I'll take what I can get at this point. How are you going through the section banks? Is it paragraphs and discrete that you answer questions about? I'm trying to figure out how to tackle it. Starting with the chem/phys one since I butchered that section yesterday.

40. NuNu95

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, I butchered C/P on Friday also! I definitely need to work on my pacing on that section. For some reason that’s the only one that I struggle with time on. The SBs are a mixture of both passage-based questions and discrete. They’re pretty tough so I decided to do them untimed and go over the problems that I didn’t understand thoroughly. Some of the explanations on the SB aren’t very good so you might have to use google, but for the most part I thought that they were fine. I ended up dividing it into 50Q a day since there are 100Q for each (300Q total).

41. confusedstudent2195

wow! I have a timing issue with C/P as well! I wonder what's up with that. I find myself spending a lot of time trying to figure out how to tackle a question. There's a lot of questions that I get wrong just because I don't have time to analyze the figures or think critically long enough...

42. NuNu95

Pre-Medical
    That’s the exact problem I’m having! I feel confident with the actual content but I feel so rushed that i make a ridiculous amount of silly mistakes... I’m thinking the best way to work on this is to start timing myself when I practice I guess. That seemed to help me when I did it for CARS.

43. physiogirl2019

Pre-Medical
    was originally scheduled for 4/6 but just rescheduled for 4/20! i've taken 5 tests so far (NS 1 (506), NS 2 (506), NS 3 (502, first timed conditions), AAMC sample (~507), AAMC FL 1 (503)). the aamc FL 1 was taken last thursday and thats what gave me the green light to reschedule. hopefully 1 month will give me enough time to polish everything. is anyone else having trouble with dumb mistakes? i rarely find content that i didn't know, but i always find myself either misreading or overthinking very simple questions. the aamc fl 1 was SO much easier compared to the NS exams i've been taking, yet i still messed up on simple questions -_-

EDIT: i see people already talked about silly mistakes right above me lol but so frustrating!!

44. br2pi5

Pre-Medical
    oh my god yes!! NS threw my confidence to the ground, stepped on it and poured a drink over it :( I took 2 AAMC exams at the beginning of my 2 month practice FLs and jumped I think from a 504 to a 509 in 2 weeks or so to then be back down taking NS exams averaging 505 on them... I found NS4 especially hard, but all I have now to take are AAMC sample and AAMC FL3. I think I'm also going to buy the AAMC guide questions and redo the section banks for my last 3ish weeks left

for me the silly mistakes are always skimming rather than focusing on figures and tables (like axes, units etc) as well as understanding exactly what the question is asking me

45. physiogirl2019

Pre-Medical
    i'm redoing the section banks and OG questions these next couple weeks as well! and yes, for aamc FL 1, i found myself skimming figures only because some questions on passages didn't really require you to read the data, so i just assumed all of them would be like that (really really dumb assumption lol). NS exams are good though for preparing you for the worst of the worst, but they also kinda suck because they raise your confidence too much with their scales. i looked at the # of q's i got right on NS compared to aamc FL 1 and i did significantly better on aamc, yet worse on scaled score. sucks because you always hear how test prep company exams score very deflated :(

46. br2pi5

Pre-Medical
    yeah I'm looking forward to taking AAMC exams haha (never thought I would say that), next one is this Friday so I've got 4 day to prep for it :)

47. confusedstudent2195

Exact same issue with me! I have missed so many questions from not looking at the figures. Sometimes I have trouble just trying to understand what the experiment is about as a whole! So that takes time away from me analyzing and coming up with correct answers. Sometimes the fancy language can be a little overbearing. I need to remind myself to look at the dang graphs and figures!!!

As for next step I know a lot of people say they're inflated but I also hear a good amount of people saying the opposite so I guess we'll never know... I am suspicious about the % correct just like you are though... So I'm not letting these exams give me too much confidence. I may take AAMC 2 this Friday just to make sure I'm still on track...

48. confusedstudent2195

Anyone else want to laugh sometimes at how horrible the AAMC explanations are for their questions?!

49. Xanias

Pre-Medical
    I’m also scheduled for 04/20 and debating whether I should postpone till May. We actually have similar scores, NS1 (508), NS2 (507), NS3 (504), AAMC Sample test was equivalent to a 507. The reason I think we should be worried is that Next Step really inflates their scores below a 128 on each section. Even though the tests are significantly harder, the scaling just seems to give people false hope.

50. Xanias

Pre-Medical
    Like how they waste 3 lines of each explanation telling you what type of question this is. I’m sure we can all relate.

51. NuNu95

Pre-Medical
    I've been working on the Chem/Phys Kaplan PBQs recently, and find them to be very difficult...does anyone else who is taking Kaplan feel the same or is it just me?

52. initialize

Pre-Medical
    Well I’ve taken all the Kaplan full lengths so far, and the Chem/Phys sections have definitely been my worst along with CARS. Chem and phys are definitely my weak points though, so I’m not totally surprised at my scores in those sections

NuNu95 likes this.