Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

*The Official MCAT April 2018 Thread*

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by MCATKINGS, Feb 25, 2018.

1. confusedstudent2195

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I should just take a butcher knife to my computer. I got about 50% on the Chem/Phys for the section banks. Jeez those questions were hard! My timing still sucks, but is improving.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. duckdoc20

Pre-Medical
    I was just wondering if you had taken any AAMC FL? I have taken the first 4 Kaplan FL and got an average of a 509 and never below a 508. Despite this I bombed AAMC FL 3 504, which has got me worried because everyone says your FL score should go up because Kaplan is harder.

4. Ad2b

Ad2b SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved

Pre-Medical
    The real test has a few of the SB type passages but the entire test is NOT SB quality. Make sure content is solid - more often than not, I could answer questions in the passages based on what was in the passage, understanding of the tables/structures/graphs/etc., and units conversions.

I'm thinking of retaking it and if I do, I will make sure my units are solid, and that I can do orgo on the spot without thinking (that was my weak point and my entire CP section, save for one physics passage and one gchem, was orgo orgo orgo orgo orgo orgo :barf:; I got an A in orgo but that 2011...:unsure:)

NuNu95 likes this.
  5. NuNu95

Pre-Medical
    I'm using Kaplan too and back in December when I took AAMC FL 1 I had a similar experience (which scared me and caused me to push back my exam date to april)! It seems to me like Kaplan isn't very representative of the actual exam, but is still good for honing your content knowledge and working on building up your stamina. However, since then I have worked on using the AAMC material for practice, as well as the resources on Khan Academy (I believe they work directly with the AAMC on their material). I took the AAMC Sample just last week and still felt that compared to the Kaplan FLs it was very different, but I definitely did a lot better this time around having gotten a feel for how the AAMC questions are. Before your next AAMC exam I would definitely try to do the section banks and question packs to get a feel for what the actual AAMC questions are like. I feel like that helped me at least!

6. initialize

Pre-Medical
    I’ve only taken the AAMC unscored a few months ago before starting content review to see where I was at.

Other than that, here’s the full lengths I’ve taken so far:

Kaplan 1: 499
    Kaplan 2: 499
    Kaplan 3: 506
    Next Step 1: 509

I’m just happy to see my scores going up lol. I’ll probably take the AAMC FL next

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

confusedstudent2195 likes this.
  7. confusedstudent2195

Yes units!!! This is hugeeee. Either I get a question right because of units or it totally screws me up. I hate when they give concentration in nM and then MW in mg then want an answer in L or something like that...... -___-

8. notthrowingawaymyshot

Pre-Medical
    Literally same :dead: my timing is the absolute worst with Chem/Phys, it's the only section I consistently run out of time on and have to guess on some questions, trying to brush up on my content and equations to make some of the questions go by faster but still struggling :unsure:

9. confusedstudent2195

Took AAMC FL 2 today and I'm so pissed. Here's everything so far:
    AAMC FL 1: 500 124/123/126/127
    NS1: 502 125/125/125/127
    NS2: 503 124/126/126/127
    AAMC FL 2: 501 126/124/126/125

I just need some advice pretty bad. I've been practicing CARS... I didn't think this cars section was incredibly difficult passages wise, but the amount of reasoning beyond/within the text questions was incredible. Happy about my increase in C/P since I messed it up so badly. Can't wait to go over psych/soc because I thought it was easy as well. All I can say is I feel so screwed hahahaha. I'm trying to stay positive and upbeat but damn.

10. Xanias

Pre-Medical
    How much time did you spend studying between FL1 and FL2 ?

11. confusedstudent2195

That was like a month ago. I'm soooo confused on my performance!

12. Xanias

Pre-Medical
    So I’m kind of in a similar situation and ended up postponing till May 19th. My scores are:

AAMC Sample; C/P 78% CARS 68% B/B 72% P/S 81%
    NS1 508
    NS2 507
    NS3 504
    AAMC FL 1 509

Unfortunately the Next Step exams are inflated and scores in the low 500’s generally do not seem to jump up when doing the real thing. I wouldn’t run and do FL3 as you shouldn’t waste the AAMC resources that quickly. I would thoroughly think about postponing so you can make sure you get the score you want. At this point it seems like you’re doing decent but you’re not quite there, I wouldn’t waste it all by rushing to take the test and end up having to risk retaking.

13. dno

dno

Pre-Medical
    Ugh. Took aamc fl2 today. Testing 4/6.

Fl1 (3/9): 507, 127/125/128/127
    Fl2 (today): 506, 127/125/129/125

I guess I’m going to go over the PS SB again and the reddit doc and just hammer that for 2 weeks. Also still need to do QP2 for CARS.

#62 dno, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  14. confusedstudent2195

same situation here!! I got the same P/S score as you...that's been my highest in every other full length so i'm curious as to what I messed up so badly. I'm going over all my answers right now. The one CARS section about music I got every question wrong. Probably would've gotten way better if it wasn't for that passage.

Seems like you did well on B/B! :) any tips I can get from you?

15. dno

dno

Pre-Medical

What are you going to do to get your PS up?? I am optimistic I can raise that a couple points.

For bio, that was my major and I’ve had a decent amount of experience reading scientific articles in classes in undergrad. So I don’t really have any tips :/

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. confusedstudent2195

Well, first I'm going to evaluate my wrong answers (i'm on the B/B section rn) then learn from those mistakes. I already watched the entire KA PS video set and followed along with the 80-something page OCD-document from reddit. That helped a lot!!!! Just hearing them speak on 2x helped so much. Khan Notes

There's stuff that I highlighted that I'm not familiar with that I still need to go over. *eyeroll* There's so much I have to go over for everything it seems.

dno likes this.
  18. dno

dno

Pre-Medical
    Let me know if you wanna review anything together tomorrow or Monday. We could FaceTime or google hang out or something. It helps to go over it with others. Just PM me

19. confusedstudent2195

That sounds great! That helps me as well.

Anyone have any CARS tips? In particular for those passages where you're just totally lost in the sauce? Like what do I do when I have no idea what the author's talking about/their attitude and the clock is just ticking down?! That's where I got questions wrong on FL 2.

20. Ad2b

Ad2b SDN Gold Donor

Pre-Medical
    Units also means F = ma ---> Kg * m^2 /s^2

Sometimes, you might not know what the formula is but if you know what the units are supposed to be in the answer, the choices are often very limited ;)

dno and confusedstudent2195 like this.
  21. confusedstudent2195

amen to that! This has helped me out with so many questions. Also knowing the metric conversions. They like micro, nano, and milli a lot... Probably obvious advice to most of you already.

Ad2b likes this.
  22. Ad2b

Ad2b SDN Gold Donor

Pre-Medical
    Oh GAWD yes!!! pico to nano to milli to giga... like WAHT!?!?o_O

23. confusedstudent2195

takes away so much time. I should prob just guess and go back to them.
    These P/S SB Q's are have TONS of definitions and terms that I don't remember seeing in the KA video compilation :mad: so annoying. They're pretty difficult.

24. Ad2b

Ad2b SDN Gold Donor

Pre-Medical
    continue to do both SB and KA 100 pager for review - it'll be more than worth your time/energy :)

25. kuzy

Pre-Medical
    I just did a question in the C/P section bank where you have to figure out how many molecules in a 1 mL solution are catalyzed in 1 minute using a mM/s reaction rate....almost broke my computer :laugh:

Ad2b likes this.
  26. LunaLovegoodMD

Pre-Medical
    Hey!

I'm taking mine on 4/20 and am also thinking of pushing it until May. I just did the AAMC practice test #2 and only got a 501. I'm a few years out from college so i'm relearning this all from scratch. Thoughts on pushing it? I have a fair amount of full study days scheduled before the test, but I definitely don't want to take it unless I score a 509 or higher. Do you think that's doable? This is my first time doing this so I'm up for any feedback.

27. Ad2b

Ad2b SDN Gold Donor

Pre-Medical
    My son took away my mallets ;)

28. confusedstudent2195

I guessed as best as I could and took the L -__- that was so frustrating!

29. NuNu95

Pre-Medical
    Anyone do the AAMC Official Guide questions? They kicked my butt for the most part lol.

30. br2pi5

Pre-Medical
    started them! but gotta finish it haha days pass by so quickly and i've got to get through lots of AAMC material

31. confusedstudent2195

did it closer to the beginning of my studies... Kicked my butt of course :) Thinking about redoing it since it's so short. Is that a good idea? It's been a while.

32. confusedstudent2195

time is flying my friend!!!! Kills me how fast it's passing. I'm lowkey panicking

33. br2pi5

Pre-Medical
    don't panic!!! we will get there :) the feeling of being done is my number one motivation

34. NuNu95

Pre-Medical
    I think it would for sure be a good idea to go through them again if you have time so that you can fix any content gaps!

Taking AAMC FL 2 tomorrow and i'm pretty nervous to see where I actually stand in comparison to AAMC Sample I took a couple of weeks ago!

35. br2pi5

Pre-Medical
    good luck!!

NuNu95 likes this.
  36. LunaLovegoodMD

Pre-Medical
    You're going to do amazing! I just took it last weekend and am curious to hear what you think of it!

37. confusedstudent2195

I took it last week as well! *spoiler alert kinda* ...that CARS section was terrible and the P/S was bad as well! Did you feel the same?

38. LunaLovegoodMD

Pre-Medical
    It's hard for me to judge the P/S section because I took the first AAMC test as a baseline and BOMBED the P/S section as I only had Psych 101 under my belt... so I definitely improved my score. That being said, I thought that CARS was definitely more difficult on this test. The passages seemed much for elusive for sure. I actually scored one point less on this one from FL#1 despite my studying which is worrisome...

I also struggled with the C/P section, which overall is my struggle subject. I felt like some of the questions/passages were tricky and even though I felt that I did well on that section, I still got several wrong. Any advice on how to study/improve? There is just so much to cover and I'm struggling grasping all of it.

39. faerie62

Pre-Medical
    Taking April 21st. I'm struggling to fit in study time with all my classes :s

40. br2pi5

Pre-Medical
    *trying to finish all SBs and fit ANKI, KA passages and note reviewing like a mad person this last week* :rofl::xf:

41. confusedstudent2195

I'm literally running around like a chicken with my head cut off!! Flashcards, SB and Q packs, FL's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My world is crashing around me :eek:
    I've been combing the forums for last minute tips and mnemonics.
    I feel like a crazy person because the March 24th MCAT test takers said there was a ton of calculations on their C/P section.... -__- grrrrrrrrr

notthrowingawaymyshot likes this.
  42. br2pi5

Pre-Medical
    I read that too! In case that happens just remember to keep your calm and not let it surprise you, stick to your strategies! positive vibes positive vibes :nod: my last FL is this friday and currently working through an AAMC to do list haha

43. NuNu95

Pre-Medical
    So I just completed AAMC FL2 and CARS absolutely destroyed me! I'm talking my lowest CARS score...which is kind of disappointing since I've been trying to work on bringing that up (and I had my hopes up since I saw some progress on the AAMC sample a couple weeks ago) :(. Other than that I felt that the C/P section was one of the easiest and less calculation-intensive C/P sections I've done thus far (It's usually brutal on the Kaplan exams), but I've also been working really hard on bringing that section up lately. I definitely thought that B/B was a little bit harder than the previous exams I've taken (both Kaplan and AAMC) but I didn't see a drop in my score in that section. I felt really confident about P/S while I was taking the exam, but I feel like the scoring was scaled harshly. I'm saving AAMC 3 for the weekend before my exam though so I'm only comparing to Kap, FL1, and the sample.

44. LunaLovegoodMD

Pre-Medical

I think I just need to focus on C/P for the next week or so and hopefully it'll bring it up. I'm just going to ball hard on C/P for the week or so since that's my weakest section haha. I'm finding that with most questions I overthink them TO THE MAX so maybe I just need to calm down and slow down. I'm also waiting to take AAMC 3 for the weekend before the test, but am going to do a NS FL this weekend.

NuNu95 likes this.
  45. NuNu95

Pre-Medical
    Yeah that was my same issue with C/P too! I kinda decided to stop wasting my time reading the entire passage this time and instead go question by question and skim to find the answer in the passage. I’m always struggling for time on that section and most of the time the passages are filled with a lot of extraneous information I feel like. I’m not sure if its the best approach but it definitely helped me improve my timing!

46. confusedstudent2195

CARS butchered me as well. If you remember the music passage...I got every question wrong!!!!!!! Crayyyyy. It goes to show you how important knowing what the authors attitude is. I'm taking a NS FL tomorrow. Hopefully things go okay. Worried.

The section banks have lowered my confidence :unsure:

47. NuNu95

Pre-Medical
    I remember exactly which passage you’re talking about! That one was definitely tricky. I was 50/50 on a lot of the CARS questions unfortunately lol. I’ve heard that the SB is harder than the real exam, but that you may encounter a couple of SB-like passages. Good luck on your FL, you’re going to do great!

48. NuNu95

Pre-Medical
    Has anyone done the Khan Academy C/P Passages and found them helpful? Wondering if it is worth going through them in this last month.

49. LunaLovegoodMD

Pre-Medical
    Don't let the Q-banks get you down. They are for practice, but you can really only base your progress off of AAMC Full Lengths. KEEP YOUR HEAD UP! Q-banks are designed to make you think in depth about each answer to make sure that you know the background for each and every answer choice. From everything I've read, that's not the method the AAMC uses to write it's questions. As for the music passage, it was pretty insane. I actually went back and completely reread that portion and triaged it and then was able to answer the questions.

I'm also struggling with the mental endurance of making it through the whole test. By the time I get to the P/S section, I'm dead. I've been spending a little more time on learning those just because I know that by the time I get there i'm so tired haha

notthrowingawaymyshot and NuNu95 like this.
  50. confusedstudent2195

AAMC FL 1: 500 124/123/126/127
    NS1: 502 125/125/125/127
    NS2: 503 124/126/126/127
    AAMC FL 2: 501 126/124/126/125
    ***NS3: 503 125/124/126/128

Results from my next step today! Overall neutral reaction. Happy about P/S, unhappy about CARS. Balance...:hungover:
    Just finished reviewing wrong answers today as well. I'm beat! I found that most of my mistakes in B/BC are due to lack of critical thinking. I just cannot put the 2 and 2 together with some of these experiments. Some of the answer justifications for NS3 were kind of off the wall...

P/C Made unit errors, misread Q stems, and a bunch of dumb mistakes. No glaring alarm content deficits as of this test. I messed up my timing again and started to panic:arghh: that is so unlike me to freak but I swear I didn't look at that timer for at least 20-30 mins :dead:

grrrrrr....guess I'll continue reviewing content, finish the second CARS Q pack. Maybe do some of the bio/chem/phys Q packs. idk anymore guys :heckyeah:

Mental stamina things that help me: getting up and moving around between sections, always using the bathroom even if I have to force the minuscule amt of pee out that developed over the last hr and I do little jumping jack things like a weirdo in the bathroom..gets my blood flowing:p, snack during every break even if I don't want it! good leg stretch and back crack regularly. I also use the triage method so I never go in order of the psgs, which I like makes it less painful.

NuNu95 likes this.
  51. confusedstudent2195

also PLEASE PLEASE read this if you need a good laugh. This guy's mcat story!!

:rofl:

52. NuNu95

Pre-Medical
    Wow! Congrats on the jump in P/S, that's great! Also, your in-between section routine is exactly what I do during my section breaks!! It really does help to calm nerves I feel like. Honestly, my number one worry is being distracted by a growling stomach or the urge to use the restroom while I'm in the middle of a section. Hopefully it'll be as easy to do that at the testing center given that we have to raise our hand and wait for someone to escort us out every time.