1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

*The Official MCAT April 2018 Thread*

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by MCATKINGS, Feb 25, 2018.

1. jconnell82760

Pre-Medical
    A little stuck on how to approach the last couple weeks before my exam (4/21). Taken 6 NS exams, slight upward trend then plateaued at about a 514. Took AAMC sample test 2 weeks ago and score converters put me between 515-520, AAMC FL1 from yesterday scored me at 517 (130,128,130,129). I have been going through the 100 page KA sheet, pretty much have all relevant physics equations memorized, and have already done about 2 passes of content review. I did all the AAMC section banks and qbanks already. I've been working through KA passages daily but feel a little aimless at this point regarding what to focus on. Any advice?
    PS: I am happy with where I'm at but I really want to go as hard as possible to be able to tell myself that no matter what I score that I did all that I could

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. confusedstudent2195

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Overall was a way less dramatic experience than I thought it was going to be. Wish I could've practiced CARS more and earlier. Be well seasoned in applying psych/soc concepts to hypothetical situations rather than memorizing terms.

Medtobe345, dno, initialize and 2 others like this.
  4. NuNu95

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the feedback! Congrats! You're officially done! I can't wait for that to be me in two weeks. I bet it feels great! What were your thoughts on C/P and B/B?

5. confusedstudent2195

2+ Year Member

THANK GOD! Glad the studying is over! I don't feel relaxed yet. Still furiously reading forums and reaction threads like a crazy person o_O

C/P wasn't difficult material. It also wasn't all high yield topics either in my opinion :eyebrow:... hopefully your C/P is like mine because I ended it feeling good!

B/B was weird! I'm used to biochem heavy sections like the full lengths, but it was a bunch of weird experiments that were kind of difficult to follow. I know I got these 2 questions wrong that I could hit myself for :mad:

But always go back to what you know if you are lost!!! The basicsssssss will carry you far.

6. Zharp

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Fellow 4/6er's! I felt pretty good about B/B, but CARS was the section I was questioning myself on the most... Although that's always the case for me. And then P/S just felt more abstract than most of my practice. Oh well, glad to have this test behind me! Hope everyone else felt good about their test!

7. confusedstudent2195

2+ Year Member

CARS YES! Easy to comprehend language as far as passages but those questions...omg >_< SO TRICKY!!!

P/S was so abstract. Wasn't anything like my practice in my opinion.... I felt as though they repeated themselves over and over again and that we saw the same topics over and over... Most of what I studied was pretty much useless :thinking:

Also very thankful I went over that document that our friend, @notthrowingawaymyshot posted. Had some rando terms that were on the test.

kuzy and notthrowingawaymyshot like this.
  8. notthrowingawaymyshot

Pre-Medical
    PS was definitely more abstract then what I'm used to...definitely was stuck between 2 choices on a couple more questions then I would have liked. I felt like B/B was okay and CARS was okay (CARS is always my highest scoring section though). C/P kind of threw me off because like @confusedstudent2195 said, wasn't all high yield stuff, definitely some stuff that I had only brushed over a few times.

Biggest piece of advice though STAY CALM!!! Every time I hit a passage that was difficult to digest I just toke a deep breath and continued, not letting it freak me out, which is something that I really had to work on in my practice exams. Once you get stuck on a passage it throws off all your timing so just pick an answer and keep moving.

Not really sure how to feel right now, feels like it's not really over lol, probably need a couple days to digest that and just stay calm until May 8th (score release day!)

9. Zharp

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm usually not one to have test anxiety, but the first 30 minutes of C/P I had to remind myself to relax!

May 8th can't come soon enough!

notthrowingawaymyshot likes this.
  10. DPTinthemaking15

Classifieds Approved

Pre-Medical
    How did you guys feel about everything? Comparing Reddit threads vs. SDN is night and day. From what I have read, it seems like Psych/Soc was pretty brutal.

ChitownNontrad likes this.
  11. kuzy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    C/P: Was hoping for orgo/biochem...got physics and gen chem :laugh: Thought I did alright all things considered though, most of the calculations were simple but I did blank on a few things.
    CARS: LOONGG (but at least interesting) passages. Some of the questions were tricky too, lots of 50/50. CARS has always been a toss up for me though so I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
    B/B: Felt the best about this section, though there were probably about 5 or 6 SB level passages.
    P/S: ****. So ambiguous. Nothing like the FLs or any other passages I've done (maybe FL3/SB but even that was more straightforward). The passages were long, some of which barely explained their data, and the questions were absolutely ridiculous. I recognized most of the terms, but there several occasions where I felt anywhere from 0 to all 4 of the answer choices applied. Lots of sociology too, which kind of threw me off. I don't know, I just can't seem to get a handle on this section (FL scores were 128, 125, and 130..lol wut)

So yea, overall I'm really just glad this thing is over. Could it have gone better? Probably. But I also don't feel like studying for a couple weeks or even a month would have made any difference.

The weirdest thing for me though is that I literally have no idea how I did, it really all depends on the crapton of 50/50 questions I had. I literally left the testing center thinking I could have gotten anywhere from 505 to 515 :shifty: Really hoping I can trust the FL scores since I never felt great immediately after taking those either but showed improvement after each one (512, 513, 516). I've gradually gotten more optimistic throughout the day too after looking up the questions I was unsure on and have luckily gotten a lot of them right. Still though, it's just such a weird feeling knowing I'm done with it all but still having no clue how I did. May 8th can't come fast enough!

12. Nicole Kidd

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I did some there are a few questionable questions on it. The questions are not that well designed, but over all I love the feedback and easy/medium/hard classification and step by step solution

13. Hayden Holmlund

Pre-Medical
    Took the exam 4/6; C/P, CARS, and B/B seemed much easier than the FLs (had super easy passages and was able to finish with plenty of time). P/S was sort of weird, but still think I did ok.

ChitownNontrad likes this.
  14. Zharp

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    That's exactly how I feel... Left yesterday not feeling confident I did as well as I did on the FL's, but now I feel a little better. Averaged 515ish on the FL's, but I never had to wait to see my score on those so I didn't have to think about what my score might be before I saw it.

15. kuzy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yea, I seriously considered not getting the score report for FL3 since I didn't feel good about it at all and I didn't want to psych myself out so close to the test (took it Monday) but then laughed when the score came back as 516 :laugh: I keep reminding myself that I've basically felt the same way after each FL and that most people still score around their practice test scores despite feeling like they got steamrolled so I just have to trust the process I guess haha

Only difference is I felt like the real thing was MUCH harder than any full length and now I also have to wait a month to find out how I did :dead:

16. br2pi5

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have nooooo clue how I did. I feel good/meh? but I know there were so many questions that I was 50/50 on... also I think the curve might be bad on this one since it seemed relatively on the easier side compared to past exams and everyone thinks so as well.
    C/P wasn't too bad although lots of simple calculations and wished I had time to check on all of them but alas. CARS easy to read passages though LONG, not my best section though. B/B issa blur, didn't feel too bad but wished I had time to check on more answers. P/S not too bad either, bet there were some tricky questions there that I hope I didn't fall for
    OVERALL good(ish) experience, still 2/10 would not recommend haha

17. confusedstudent2195

2+ Year Member

Pahahahaha i’m laughing. It’s like as if they forgot what Ochem was. Seriously not one question on that ish

Overall I felt like the B/B was more biology based if I’m remembering correctly. Whereas all my practice tests were heavy BC.

Cars is such a toss up. Waiting game for sure.

I agree with it being similar to FL 3. Which has me worried since that was my worst psych score :confused:

I’m frickin praying that I follow the trend of an increased score from the full lengths based off of this huge excel sheet on reddit.

18. br2pi5

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    the more i think about it the more fleeting my confidence becomes and the more i think i failed it

19. notthrowingawaymyshot

Pre-Medical
    Literally have the same feeling :arghh: trying to distract myself for the next ~30 days

20. goldinthedirt

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Can't wait for the scores to come out!!!!!

21. confusedstudent2195

2+ Year Member

Anyone planning to register for an exam before their score comes out? I was considering having a contingency plan lmao

22. notthrowingawaymyshot

Pre-Medical
    I was definitely thinking about it lol...but I don’t want to jump the gun and also I feel like if I were to retake I would need to know what I need to really work on (which sections) and for how long (if the score was abysmally low, would need to put in another ~3 months) before I chose a date

confusedstudent2195 likes this.
  23. initialize

Pre-Medical
    You guys are scaring me considering most of you guys score better than me on the practice exams... I hate you all! (Jk)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

24. Zharp

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    At this point I actually feel a little bit better... I've come to accept the fact that I will be forced to teach high school biology for the rest of my life.

Jkjk, I actually do feel more confident in my score now. I think everybody leaves the MCAT thinking they failed it.

25. NuNu95

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    To those of you who have just taken the exam, is it true that they give you laminated paper and a dry erase marker as your "scratch paper"? And if so, do they give you something to erase with? Just trying to figure out if I should practice with a whiteboard or something for my last FL this weekend.

26. kuzy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yea, they give you a flip up notebook with laminated paper in it and a dry erase marker. Nothing to erase it with though so I just used a new page for each section

NuNu95 likes this.
  27. notthrowingawaymyshot

Pre-Medical
    Yes they give you a laminated notebook! But you won’t be able to erase it yourself. If your run out of space they can provide you with a new laminated notebook

NuNu95 likes this.
  28. notthrowingawaymyshot

Pre-Medical
    Don't be scared!! Everyone basically feels like crap after the exam even some people who score really high. Just keep your confidence up for test day and you'll rock it :)

initialize likes this.
  29. Zharp

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think they intentionally try to scare us. Everyone contemplates voiding, but DON'T do it! Be confident in your preparation and your abilities! You've made it this far, it's just one more test to conquer on your road to becoming a doctor!

30. 8kmlg

Pre-Medical
    for those that tested - how much longer were the CARs passages in comparison to FLs/SBs?

31. dno

dno
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

They were the same but the text was larger so they appeared longer.

32. notthrowingawaymyshot

Pre-Medical
    I would say they were about the same length

Zharp likes this.
  33. TheLeadSeed

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    April 20th here!

NS 1 (3/16): 507 (126/126/128/127)
    NS 2 (3/20): 505 (126/126/127/126)
    NS 3 (3/29): 506 (126/124/128/128)

AAMC FL 1 (4/3): 506 (126/124/129/127)
    AAMC FL 2 (4/6): 505 (127/125/127/126)
    AAMC FL 3 (4/10): 505 (127/127/128/123)

*combining my highest AAMC section scores would give me a 510. I would loveeeee to score this on the actual test! :(

Taking NS 4 on the 16th. I reviewed my practice tests after taking them. It just seems like every practice tests, I do poorly in a different section. My bio/biochem section is pretty consistent, C/P has upward trend, but my CARS or P/S goes either way. I realized that when I really concentrate and focus, I do better in CARS. Just need to remember that during test day.

For psych/soc, I realized im finishing it with at least 30min left still....don't know if anyone else has that concern too. Definitely will try to slow it down next time.

Anyone willing to chime in about what I should do to break this trance I am in? Will appreciate any advice and comments! Thanks peeps

34. notthrowingawaymyshot

Pre-Medical
    Make sure you are reviewing each FL really diligently and that should help you in seeing a score increase. As for PS, I always had ~30 min left over as well, this section is usually the quickest section for most, but I would really carefully review every flagged question with my extra time and that really helped.

TheLeadSeed and Zharp like this.
  35. Zharp

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I always had a hard time focusing on CARS in my practice exams too and scored similarly (127's) on the FL's. But on test day I had so much adrenaline going where I didn't have as much trouble focusing at all on CARS.

I was always fast at P/S too, just take the time to go through your answers carefully if you have that extra time, it could make a huge difference. If you haven't yet gone through the KA Psych/Soc 100 page document and their practice passages I'd recommend doing those, they were a huge help in solidifying those obscure concepts in my opinion.

36. initialize

Pre-Medical
    Yay! Just took AAMC FL 2 and got a 511. First time breaking the 510 barrier. My CARS improved over my previous exams as well. 4/20 here we gooooo

37. LunaLovegoodMD

Pre-Medical
    I use a mix, but find that the Khan Academy tests my expertise in the section and Kaplan tests overall knowledge. Maybe at this time in your studying, KA would be the way to go.

NuNu95 likes this.
  38. Pharmd2MD92

Medical Student (Accepted)
    So we're 8 days out. I thought I'd share some of my thoughts this morning.

I can honestly say I'm no longer nervous. In fact, I'm excited. I've spent 6 months studying 20-30 hours per week. All while being a full time grad student, volunteering 10 hours per week, research (just published woo!), and working 25 hours per week. Needless to say, I don't sleep much.

I took 7 next step exams and averaged a 509.
    I've taken 2 AAMC exams and got a 505.
    I did the section banks and got 70%/80%/72% (timed)
    I took the sample test and got 80% overall (2nd full length I took)
    Tomorrow I take FL 3.
    I noticed when I take the AAMC FL exams I'm not near as focused as I am during the section bank and NextStep exams. I find myself thinking that this is unrealistically easy, compared to NS and section bank. I partially attribute my lower scores on AAMC to the fact I go in thinking it is easier. I went into the section bank hyper-focused because I knew they were hard. The real MCAT will be hard. I am ready to face that.

Next week I have 5 exams for school and that sucks a lot. However, I'm going in knowing I put in the work. Next Friday it's time to punch that time clock and do some serious work in those 7 hours. Then, May 22nd is payday.

Good luck, everyone.

NuNu95 and TheLeadSeed like this.
  39. Ilovepenguins

Advice please! 1 week until MCAT

NS1 507 (3/20)
    NS2 507 (3/24)
    NS3 504 (3/26)
    NS4 505 (3/30)

Sample AAMC 76%, 81%, 81%, 81% (4/1)
    AAMC Practice FL 1 127, 125, 127, 127 = 506 (4/13)

Kind of disappointed in FL 1. I was aiming for a 512. Do you think it's still possible to increase to at least 510? I've also already completed all the section bank questions. Thanks!

40. Pharmd2MD92

Medical Student (Accepted)

Have you done the section banks? I was performing close to the same as you and completed the section banks. The section banks require you to have incredible attention to detail. I applied that level of attention to detail on my 11th and final FL (AAMC 3) and scored a 511. I recommend doing those, reviewing them, and "getting inside of the test makers heads."

41. Ilovepenguins

Yes, I’ve already completed all the section banks. The only materials I have left are FL 2&3 but maybe I will go back and review them again. Thank you for the reply!

42. sapientnarwhal

Pre-Medical
    My advice for the reasoning questions in the science sections is
    1) predict the questions that will be tested while reading the passage.
    2) READ THE QUESTION STEM, it is more important than anything. The answer MUST match the question stem and passage info. Expect a twist in questions that might otherwise seem simple or straightforward.
    3) This isn't a CARS passage, there is no main idea for the experiment. Analyze the answer choices for accuracy and consistency with passage info.
    4) don't second guess
    5) above all, do not hesitate to answer, flag, and move on. Chances are your first guess is correct. Your goal is to complete every question with ample time to review and obtain some sense of closure before you move on to murder the CARS section.

43. confusedstudent2195

2+ Year Member

Yes this is all great advice! Remember answer the question asked don't fall into a trap of a "correct" answer that doesn't actually answer the question.

Stay strong my 4/20-21 friends <3 you can do it!!! Stay strong these last 5 days. NO SLACKING!!! I didn't relax till the night before where I got a big plate of bbq and a brownie sundae lol.

44. Zharp

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    This is very important advice. As you're reading passages get comfortable picking out info that is likely to be tested... Like in biochem passages, highlighting amino acids that are specific to enzyme active sites or other things. The MCAT likes to test some things heavily and if you can predict what will be asked before you see it, you'll be a lot more comfortable when you read the questions!

45. Ilovepenguins

Hi! I was wondering how you were able to increase CARS? I’m struggling in that area right now. Thanks!

46. initialize

Pre-Medical
    Hi,

I first used the AAMC question pack for CARS. I also started doing 1-2 passages on the Uworld website every day. I’m now starting the aamc q-pack 2.

I think Uworld has helped the most. I think my biggest problem was taking too much time to read the passages; as a result, I often wouldn’t be able to complete the CARS section in time. I find that I have to really concentrate on the passages - my mind often wonders, so actively concentrating has helped too.

47. physiogirl2019

Pre-Medical
    took my last FL today, AAMC FL 3. got a 509! (127 127 130 125). test on 4/20 so i'm going to be grinding out the 100 page kaplan p/s notes. any advice for what I should be doing these last couple days? sooooo nervous :(

initialize likes this.
  48. initialize

Pre-Medical
    My test is on 4/20 as well, and I did half of the aamc FL 3 so far (just chem/phys and CARS)

Was it just me or was the C/P section pretty tough? I somehow ended with a good score but I felt like I was guessing on a lot.

Also, random question, but what time are you waking up on test day?

49. Zharp

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I woke up at 5am for my test day... Granted I am a morning person. I woke up and went for a run and took my time getting ready and heading down to my test center by 715 for an 8am start. I was a little early, but I'm glad I was early. It gave me time to relax and get try and get in the zone before the test started.

Shotapp and initialize like this.
  50. initialize

Pre-Medical
    What time do you normally wake up?

I’m definitely not a morning person. Even after 8 hours of sleep I need 2-3 cups of coffee to be functional lol. I might try waking up early like you did to exercise and get the blood pumping...

51. notthrowingawaymyshot

Pre-Medical
    I’m not a morning person either lol I woke up at 6:30 left my house a little before 7 and was at the center by 7:20 and I got to start the test early which I was really happy I got to do. I had packed everything the night before (my bag with my necessities like Tylenol and tissues, my lunch, and also the breakfast I was going to eat in the morning) and I laid out my clothes so it saved me a lot of time in the morning.

initialize and NuNu95 like this.