1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

*The Official MCAT April 2018 Thread*

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by MCATKINGS, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Zharp

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm up by 6 every day, so it wasn't too abnormal for me. But I probably wouldn't recommend dramatically changing your sleep schedule on test day. Just give yourself plenty of time to get where you need to go!

I do think exercising, or even just stretching in the morning would be a good idea to help get you going.

initialize and Shotapp like this.
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. hkdude97

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    how is the kaplan course though? I'm gonna postpone my april date to maybe july and was thinking of signing up for kaplan online, would you recommend it?

4. hkdude97

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    do you think the nextstep course is much more beneficial than others like kaplan or TPR?

meckssh0 likes this.
  5. hkdude97

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    what sites do this?

6. LunaLovegoodMD

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys! I'm scheduled to take mine on 4/20 and I need some honest advice to whether or not I should push my date out!

AAMC FL#1 498
    AAMC FL #2 501
    AAMC FL #3 504
    NS FL #1 506

My GPA is around a 3.6, so I was hoping for a higher score to balance it out. I've heard people actually score a few point higher on test day, but I don't know if I should risk that.

7. LunaLovegoodMD

Pre-Medical
    Dude, I thought that the C/P section of AAMC #3 was killer. I had been averaging between a 127-128 and I went down to a 123! I was a real blow to my score. If I can get back to my average on the actual test, I'll be okay... but that one score really shook my confidence.

8. Zharp

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What is your goal score? And what are your breakdowns?

I wouldn't count on going up more than a couple points at the most on test day.

LunaLovegoodMD likes this.
  9. LunaLovegoodMD

Pre-Medical
    I took the AAMC FL #3 today and got:

C/P - 123 (On literally every other test, I scored a 127... I don't know why I bombed this section so much on this one)
    CARS - 127
    B/BC - 127
    P/S - 127

My goal score was at least over a 510... and higher if I could... I'm not expecting or depending on going up on the actual MCAT, but I think i'm just hoping that I'll at least be able to break into the 510s...

10. Zharp

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So what I would recommend is thoroughly reviewing your C/P section from today. Figure out if there was a lot of content you didn't know or if this was just an outlier. If you're aiming for a 510 I think you're okay.

Review C/P hard the next two days, take half of Thursday off to rest before Friday and then crush the MCAT on Friday! Be confident in all the work you've put in. That score may just be an outlier!

LunaLovegoodMD likes this.
  11. LunaLovegoodMD

Pre-Medical
    Thanks! In you're honest opinion are those type of stats even worth applying with? I've heard such mixed reviews. Should I be aiming a for a bigger score? I just picked 510 based on my LizzyM score and the fact that I scored so low on the first AAMC #1

12. Zharp

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    A bigger score is always better! If you think you can do better than 510 if you had more time, then it's worth it to hold off on the MCAT for another month or so.

I can't really comment on whether or not you should apply, I'm only about to apply myself!

13. confusedstudent2195

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I enjoyed my online course. Got to go to class in my pjs with a cup of coffee. It’s nice if you’re not in a huge well known city or college. I didn’t have any classes nearby so I didn’t consider in person. It was mostly strategy with high yield science at the beginning of class. It helped keep me motivated and a lot of it was useful, but also some was not (their cars strategy lmao) The review videos are great and you get unlimited access to all the aamc material included. No regrets. I think it helped so much! Feel free to PM me anything specific you wanna know.

hkdude97 likes this.
  14. notthrowingawaymyshot

Pre-Medical
    I used spreeder!!

hkdude97 likes this.
  15. NuNu95

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    The anticipation is killing me! I’m so ready to get this exam over with. We’ve got this 4/20 gang! :claps:

Gomedorgohome and TheLeadSeed like this.
  16. I'mJustCurious

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Nervous as crap..

TheLeadSeed likes this.
  17. Pharmd2MD92

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Am I the only one that is just like ecstatic that Saturday morning I don't have to set an alarm for 6am to get up and study for the MCAT? I'm praying that my score reflects my AAMC FL 3 that I took last Friday (511). TBH, I'll take anything > 505 at this point.

Also, I saw someone talking about FL 3 and the difficulty... I agree that it felt harder. Definitely more section-bank like. But I still got the same percentage correct in each section so my score went up. Ayyyyoooo. Let's get this over with and put it behind us.

18. initialize

Pre-Medical
    For all of us taking it tomorrow, good luck! Are you guys taking today completely off from studying? I’m still going to study for at least half of the day

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

TheLeadSeed likes this.
  19. TheLeadSeed

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    good luck to all of us tomorrow! I'm taking today a bit easy. Gonna read over some psych/soc content and a document I have titled "lessons learned from full lengths." Mainly gonna focus on enjoying the day and taking it easy.

We've spent the past few weeks/months/years preparing for this. At this point, we know all we can. It's just a matter of being confident and giving it our all tomorrow. In the grand scheme of things, it's just one test of many more to come anyways.

initialize, NuNu95 and Shotapp like this.
  20. I'mJustCurious

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Good luck to everyone you guys are going to kill it!

initialize and NuNu95 like this.
  21. NuNu95

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm doing some light review today! Mainly just looking over chem/phys equations and Kaplan quicksheets. I decided that i'm probably going to stop reviewing altogether after dinner and get to bed early so I don't feel dead tomorrow. Good luck to everyone taking the mcat this friday/saturday!

Gomedorgohome and initialize like this.
  22. confusedstudent2195

2+ Year Member

Best of luck to you all! Let me know what you guys think of it!

23. Pharmd2MD92

Going to be somewhat short review.

C/P: what's up section bank? It was nice seeing you for AT LEAST half of the passages if not more. Lol

CARS: this is fine... this is fine... okay this really isn't too bad... OMG TURN THE BUS AROUND. WHAT ARE THESE WORDS??

B/B: About half section bank, half not too bad. I had like 6 flagged that I wasn't 100% sure on. Overall felt great.

P/S: either I studied the right terms or this was one of the easiest tests I've taken (I did go through virtually every document I could find and looked over > 700 terms yesterday). Had about 6 flagged as well. Some tricky answer choices that if you didn't read the question stem or a word in the passage you would've missed and fallen for their trap. Overall felt the best I've ever felt on a P/S section.

physiogirl2019 likes this.
  24. initialize

Pre-Medical
    I agree with everything said above. P/S was easy. Everything else destroyed me, especially C/P.

My confidence is kinda shattered, my last couple of practice tests have been good and I felt like I had to guess on a ton of questions

25. Pharmd2MD92

Everyone at my testing center thought it was hard. It's all good. Trust your practice scores. I just remembered a DUMB mistake I made on B/B. But I got a question right that I had flagged. So I guess it evens out. Lol. I bet you're +-1 of your last C/P score. There will be a fat curve on that C/P. My friend guessed on 2 whole passages and the last set of discrete questions and scored a 130 on his exam.

initialize likes this.
  26. initialize

Pre-Medical
    I hope you’re right lol, but I was still kinda tired for the first half of the test (C/P and CARS) so I felt like I couldn’t concentrate fully. I just couldn’t concentrate on some of those harder passages. I also ran out of time during both sections and filled in completely random answers for the last set of passages. Feels terrible

27. Pharmd2MD92

I too ran out of time on CARS. I got too comfortable with how it felt in the beginning and lost my timing around passage 6. Passage 8 and 9 I did the ole read the question and search for the answer unless it was a really abstract question. Then I just bubbled and moved on. I had ~7 minutes left on C/P to review. Caught a couple mistakes. When I first opened the test I almost started to cry. Lol. I genuinely felt like I had impending doom and was about to faint. Good ole panic disorder. I could hear my heart beat in my headphones so I took them off and took ~2 minutes to close my eyes and breathe. Then I was able to get into my normal test-like thinking.

28. initialize

Pre-Medical
    So you felt like you did good on C/P? I think I butchered it :(

29. Pharmd2MD92

I didn't feel like I did too good, but I felt close to average. I normally get about 45 correct and that's usually about a 127. I had like ~17 flagged. I was upset that there were calculations I could've 100% gotten right if I had the time. I had to estimate some based off of scientific notation and units. If there's a good sized curve that'll help me. Also some dumb organic discrete questions I just laughed at. If we had the same, you probably know what I'm talking about. Like lol I don't have time to think through a 6 step mechanism right now. Bubble and move on.

30. initialize

Pre-Medical
    I feel like I’ve already repressed most of the questions lol! There were some EASY calculation questions which I should have gotten immediately, but of course my brain decided to freeze up during these.... wtf!

I’m just going to do my best to take my mind off the MCAT for the next month, then cry once the scores are released lol.

TheLeadSeed likes this.
  31. sapientnarwhal

Pre-Medical
    Damn that was brutal. For reference I scored a 517 on FL1 (125 on CARS), 522 on FL2, and 521 on FL3.

C/P: I flagged 25 questions on C/P (btw I think there was an error in one of the correct answer choices so I’m emailing AAMC). Had to completely guess on 5 or so questions. On the practice FL’s I missed an avg of 2-3 questions. Definitely didnt happen this time around.

CARS: Why AAMC? Was that really necessary? What struck me was the simple wording of each question stem and answer choice. So ambiguous...

B/B: I flagged 27 questions. I encountered numerous content specific questions that I was unprepared for. Again, I missed 1-3 questions on the practice FL’s. Most likely at least triple that on this test.

P/S: I literally flagged 30 questions. For those that informed everyone that the 100 pg. KA document is adequate, I strongly disagree. That said, I either scored really well on this section or very poorly.

A combination of factors, both personal and situational, made this testing experience far less than ideal. I don’t expect the curve to be any different from the practice FL’s, so I’m currently in the process of scheduling my next exam.

32. initialize

Pre-Medical
    Dang you’re really gonna reschedule? Well at least it’s nice to here that other people are suffering along with me (no offense!)

I really don’t want to retake, I feel like no amount of extra studying can prepare for a test like that and I got a 515 on my last practice test... my mind is too fried from studying all these months

33. sapientnarwhal

Pre-Medical
    I will probably take a break for a couple months before slowly resuming studying. This exam tested my weaknesses, so I gained something from this experience.

34. physiogirl2019

Pre-Medical
    c/p: was ok, there were a few i was like ???? but it wasn't too horrible... idk i barely remember but i do remember feeling ok about it
    CARS: overall, didn't think it was too bad. there were a couple questions that i really was like wtf but the rest were good
    b/b: was good, a few i was like??? (lol common pattern)
    p/s: lowkey the easiest i've ever seen.

overall i have no good or bad feelings. i either did really great or did really horrible. truly don't remember much about the exam (prob repressing it) but i didn't think it was too horrible. but again, i could be WAY wrong.

TheLeadSeed, NuNu95 and Pharmd2MD92 like this.
  35. TheLeadSeed

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Was down to the last few seconds on every section.

Chem/phys: very similar to section banks and AAMC practice FLs

CARS: easier than AAMC FLs

Bio: very close to AAMC, maybe a tad bit harder

Psych/Soc: this section was definitely easier than AAMC practice, really thankful for that haha

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

physiogirl2019 likes this.
  36. physiogirl2019

Pre-Medical
    yep, this is exactly how i felt. but genuinely i have 0 idea how i did. i blacked out right after LOL this next month of waiting is gonna SUCK

TheLeadSeed likes this.
  37. mednovice12

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys I took it today 4/21 and let me just tell you:

C/P what the actual frick was that??? I flagged a bunch only got to check half of them
    CARS so abstract so so abstract
    B/B you know, what are you gonna do? It went as well as I expected
    P/S so easy, suspiciously too easy

38. AllYouNeedIsHope

Pre-Medical
    I postponed my Mcat until May so I can’t wait to hear how the April 21 MCAT was and what I missed out on haha

39. Ilovepenguins

ImageUploadedBySDN1524353808.726633.jpg if you haven’t already seen this reddit post, it is hilarious. I agree that the chem/phys was pretty difficult. Cars was ok. Bio was pretty good (similar to section banks) and Psy was pretty easy!

40. Shammyguy3

2+ Year Member

Honestly? I felt like the entire test was a breeze. I felt more confident in the C/P section than on any of the full lengths/sample. There was one CARS passage that was difficult, the rest seemed relatively fine and some very straightforward. B/B was great, but that has always been my best section. P/S had a couple terms Ive never seen, but by deduction of other answer choices i feel good on them.

I had enough time to fully review every question for CARS and P/S, and nearly reviewed all of B/B. Didnt have a chance to go over anything for C/P besides my flagged questions.

All in all, i could not feel more confident about it than i am now

41. initialize

Pre-Medical
    Glad you posted this. I just checked the reddit thread and there’s hundreds of people saying they thought the test was brutal... I feel a little better now.

Ilovepenguins and NuNu95 like this.
  42. NuNu95

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Sorry for the delay guys, this weekend was crazy for me! I am so thrilled to be done with that exam, but man this is going to be a long month ahead. Here are my thoughts from the 4/20 test date:

C/P: I didn't think it was bad at first but started to feel rushed towards the end (my pacing got way off somehow during the second half). I felt that it was more calculation heavy compared to the AAMC FLs and I definitely had to guess on more than I would have liked.
    CARS: Honestly didn't feel too bad about CARS except the last two passages were a bit tough to me. This is my weakest and least predictable section though so who knows? lol.
    B/B: UM WHAT?! B/B is usually a walk in the park for me, but this section seemed to be all about interpreting experimental data and less factual knowledge of biological concepts. Definitely, the toughest B/B section I have encountered so I am praying for the best. During practice, I used to finish this section with plenty of time to go back and thoroughly check each and every question, but I was down to the wire on this section on test day.
    P/S: Not bad at all! I honestly thought it was slightly easier compared to some of the AAMC FLs and heavily tested sociology concepts in comparison to psych.

43. LunaLovegoodMD

Pre-Medical
    I'm definitely going to wait until I get my score and see that I need to reschedule before I actually do it. I'm so, so fried from studying all of those months and I think my mind needs a few weeks to rest in order for my studying to be beneficial in any way.

That being said, I truly felt like the C/P was the most difficult I've ever done. I ran out of time and flagged a bunch of questions.

CARS: I usually feel pretty good about this section, but it seemed like there weren't a lot of softball questions here.

B/B: #blessed

P/S: I thought it was okay, but it seemed to have a lot of fringe verbage that I had never heard of before.

It's really comforting to see that other people felt that the C/P was absolutely brutal.

NuNu95 and TheLeadSeed like this.
  44. FroYoOreo

Pre-Medical
    Wait, I had exactly the same reaction to my 04/06 test. I am not very familiar with how AAMC arrange tests. Is it possible that we got the same test on different dates?
    Cuz people talking about B/B being really easy on 04/06 really confused me. I score high on bio all the time, but this time it was almost like a reading comprehension test. Fingers crossed.

NuNu95 likes this.
  45. PapaGuava

PapaGuava SDN Bronze Donor
    Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

I hope no one else had to deal with a crappy computer during their test day like I did haha. 5 minutes into the C/P section, I had 3 error messages pop up and subsequent closing of the exam haha. Luckily, the test administrators got it up without me losing more than 2 minutes. Then, the program completely skipped my 10 minute break and went directly into the CARS section. Then, after finishing CARS, the program closed again and they had to call AAMC or whoever to bring up my 30 minute lunch timer. None of this fazed me but you can bet AAMC received a report from me about these issues. Even though I dont believe it affected my score, they deserve to know especially for the amount of money we pay to take this exam.

Despite all of this, I thought the C/P was the hardest and I had to guess on more than a couple but I'm not too worried about it considering I thought the other sections went well. I ran out of time on CARS though with one of the passages somehow and had to completely guess on 2 questions.

P.S. I took the 4/20 MCAT

#244 PapaGuava, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  46. MCATKINGS

Moderator 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Scores come out tomorow!!

47. notthrowingawaymyshot

Pre-Medical
    They come out May 8th actually for the 4/6 test date!

48. confusedstudent2195

2+ Year Member

1 more week till scores. I'm literally losing my mind. furiously reading reddit threads from today's score release :confused:

49. notthrowingawaymyshot

Pre-Medical
    LITERALLY ME hahaha I feel my chest tightening

50. confusedstudent2195

2+ Year Member

yes dude.. my stomach feels all knotted and pukey thinking about it. I know people might say "DONNNTT STRESS there's nothing you can doooo but waiiiiitttt"

like shh....you have no idea what this is like!

dno and notthrowingawaymyshot like this.
  51. notthrowingawaymyshot

Pre-Medical
    For real though! Everyone’s like I’m sure you did great! And I’m just slowly deteriorating while waiting lol idk how I will click the view score button tbh :nailbiting: