Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

*The Official MCAT May 2018 Thread*

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by MCATKINGS, Feb 25, 2018.

1. timephone

Pre-Medical
    Big change I made was a bit of a "cheat"--I wrote down a list of 10-15 physics/chem equations that I'm going to use when I sit for the exam. Essentially: I'm going to optimize the equation list during my practice, then memorize before the exam. During the pre-exam tutorial time (10 min) I'm going to write the equations down from memory onto my scratch paper (I was told this is possible and allowed). Then for the CP section, you have a list of the high-yield equations right in front of you, so as soon as you see a relevant question, you don't have to search your brain for the equation and write it down.

Also for me my strengths are chemistry and biochem, and it seemed like AAMC FL1 had lots of easy biochem. Like several questions just testing simple properties of amino acids. I'm in 17 credits this semester so I haven't had a lot of time for directed content review, however my classes and lab volunteering are all related to MCAT-type material.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. timephone

Pre-Medical
    Comparison between Princeton and AAMC...

I thought the AAMC CARS was harder than Princeton. All other sections Princeton >>> harder than AAMC. Princeton was way too annoyingly specific on lots of physiology that I wasn't familiar with. Psych/Soc I'm still struggling with, so it's hard to compare.

4. PopeKnope98

Pre-Medical
    I was considering doing the tutorial equation thing, too. I just wasn’t sure which ones to focus on.. for example, the kinematic equations don’t seem really high yield so idk if its worth memorizing those. Maybe things like ohm’s law, electric fields, etc? I also am going to 100% learn my units; I’ve heard that’s a great shortcut.

And thank you for your comparison of princeton and AAMC!!

5. fingerscrossed2018

Pre-Medical
    GIRL. I'm getting so frustrated with third-party stuff lol. I've noticed the Kap FLs are based on the content review in their own books and I'm assuming my TPR FLs are the same way. I've heard the TPR CARS is pretty good, though. I'm basically in the process of stopping Kap and TPR and switching to AAMC OG, Q-packs, and SBs and then targeting my content review from those. Sprinkling in some NS and EK FLs prior to AAMC FLs as well. Hopefully this plan works...I'm tired, man hahaha.

6. Detective SnowBucket

Detective SnowBucket 1 Curvy boi

Pre-Medical
    Im not trying to down on your accomplishment @timephone this kind of jump is crazy but a jump is pretty typical, look up the list of user scores on reddit and most of them go up a good amount from the practice tests to the AAMC FL's then again to the read deal, usually somewhere from 3-7 points.

timephone likes this.
  7. PopeKnope98

Pre-Medical
    RIGHT. I’m just exhausted. I’m planning on doing NS too. If my score is still **** after that one, well, then I’m going to need to make even more adjustments. I’ll be taking it in 2 weeks bc I have exams for school that I’m studying for next weekend. I’ll keep yall posted lol

8. timephone

Pre-Medical
    I think it's important to include the equations that you personally would benefit most from seeing. For me it's lots of simple ones like equations for work, rotational motion, delta-G, etc. I'm about to start on the memorization part, I've got about 30 "equations" and bits of information, we'll see how easy I'm able to retain it...

In other news, finished the Princeton Review Demo FL (already taken FL 1 and 2) and got a 506. I thought I did much better in CP but I got 125...one week after a 131 on AAMC FL 1. Also got 129 on psych/soc! It was actually a pretty easy section though, except for one passage where I got every question wrong.

Next weekend I'm gonna try to squeeze in the AAMC Sample FL. Unfortunately I have a quiz and an exam for an online course on Sat and Sun, so I may have to do 2 hours Sunday morning for the exam, followed by 7 hours for the FL... Maybe it'll be worth it to get the practice in stamina?

9. Detective SnowBucket

Pre-Medical
    @timephone Im in pretty much the same boat, exams this tuesday and next wednesday (biochem :( ) but Im also going to try to get an AAMC FL in too next sun/sat. I got a 508 in the Kap FL I took this morning. We're not far off score-wise so Im interested to hear how you do on the AAMC one. What were your overall scores on the AAMC FL's that you've done so far?
    Ciao til then.

10. duckdoc20

Pre-Medical
    I took the first four Kap's and had an average of 508. I just took FL 3 and got 510 ---> 127,130,128,125. My strongest section on Kap was psych and I got tired at the end of the FL so I think that why it was so low. I think your more than on track to get a mid teen score on the AAMC FL

Detective SnowBucket likes this.
  11. Detective SnowBucket

Pre-Medical
    Wow thanks @duckdoc20, Im shooting for 12/13 so mid teen's would be amazing...if I can pull that off on the real deal ;)

Ps, I got a 508 on the one I took yesterday morning but I broke the cardinal rule doing that one, I could feel I wasn't doing great (idk why or when I decided that) but I really kinda bs'd my way through it.

12. timephone

Pre-Medical
    @DetectiveSnowBucket My first and only AAMC exam so far was AAMC FL1 and I got a 513 (131/127/130/125). However I also took the official half-length untimed before I started any content review or practice, and got 80% overall. (25/25/22/24, all out of 30). So it's hard to tell if I'm really improving at all!

JBruinW likes this.
  13. JBruinW

Pre-Medical
    How predictive is Full Length 1? I just finished it today and got a 517. (130/130/130/127). Also how the f do I improve on P/S? I've been reading the Ka reddit document and spamming anki cards but I don't really seem to be improving :(

14. timephone

Pre-Medical
    Here's a read-only Google spreadsheet from Reddit detailing users' score breakdown for practice exams and the real exam. Look up people who got a 517 on FL1 and compare it to their eventual exam-day score. MCAT Score Spreadsheet

People seem to consistently produce a higher exam-day score than FL1 score, although it's usually only by a few points. However, it's very much dependent on the person. Also pay attention to how far in advance of the exam that they took the FL1.

Edit: Also the above link includes information from all the available full-length practice exams (assuming people took them) so you can compare scores from Princeton/Kaplan, etc.

#63 timephone, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  15. I'mJustCurious

Pre-Medical
    Alight guys slow it down.. Took my second FL and scored 490 on Kaplan. Am I doing something wrong and how can I improve it?

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Detective SnowBucket

Pre-Medical
    @I'mJustCurious First off, as your second FL you're bound to score low because you haven't had the practice on the endurance side of keeping up focus for 7 straight hours. Also, if its your second one you still need to adjust to the logic of the test and what you need to pay attention to. Also, Kaplan is really deflated score wise, those ones are hard. If you're scheduled for may you might want to step it up, as in an FL a week at least along with 20+ hrs/wk content review but if you've been doing content review for a while then it might just be getting used to how you apply that content.
    Just depends on what exactly your situation is.

18. Detective SnowBucket

Pre-Medical
    Hey there, I've done a crap tonne of kap Fl's and Im taking my first AAMC one this coming sunday.Im guessing the AAMC one where you got a 517 wasn't your first FL (if so......) but how were you doing on other ones you took in comparison?

19. I'mJustCurious

Pre-Medical
    Yeah I think you're right about doing content review and not getting used to applying it. I will be taking a FL every week a long with content review and maybe practice passages if I have time. May 19th is my test date so hopefully I can get it over 500+ on the Kaplan FL #2.

20. JBruinW

Pre-Medical

I've this material so far. Copied this from one of my reddit posts.

AAMC Material so far:

Section Banks: C/P 74 P/S: 75

QPack: Bio 1/2: 87/85 Chem: 81 Physics: 85 Cars1: 82

3rd Party:

NS1: 508 NS2: 511

Kaplan 1: 506 Kaplan 2: 512

21. Detective SnowBucket

Pre-Medical
    Ive been doing about the same on the QPack's (Im actually working on the physics one rn and its not looking good so aside from that...) But wow 512 on a Kaplan is great. I hope Kaplan 510 translates into low/mid teens on the AAMC FL then.

JBruinW likes this.
  22. JBruinW

Pre-Medical
    Yeah a 510 is probably pretty solid. Kaplan exams felt nothing like AAMC exams because the bulk of AAMC was critical thinking. Kaplan feels like just puking out content.

23. Detective SnowBucket

Pre-Medical
    Thats definitely what I've been hearing but it seems like for that reason the AAMC should be harder, since when is straight memorization till you have eaten enough knowledge that your brain is mush harder than even moderate critical thinking?

24. WrldPeace

Pre-Medical
    Exactly. My MCAT study partner told me that one guy she knew that sat in March and got a 518 HIGHLY recommended going through the SBs twice. Plus, I think it's pretty hard to have any bias towards the answers if you're talking about going through ALL of the section banks over. I will definitely being going through them twice.

spicydesi likes this.
  25. JBruinW

Pre-Medical
    Well at least most of the answers from the AAMC 1 could be derived from the information presented in the passage. It was about 50/50 passage and outside knowledge but the outside knowledge was just the basic concepts.

Make sure to go through the section banks asap! Sounds like a good plan. I would say that a 507 is probably a pretty good score for TPR.

spicydesi likes this.
  26. Detective SnowBucket

Pre-Medical
    @spicydesi There's a really useful spreadsheet floating around reddit (I saw a link on sdn and it may have been on this thread actually) with user's AAMC, TPR and real MCAT scores so you can get a sense of how they compare difficulty-wise.
    PS if that picture is really you, you might want to change it.

spicydesi and JBruinW like this.
  27. spicydesi

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the heads up! I’m new to SDN, lol. Why the discretion? Apologies for the obliviousness.

28. Detective SnowBucket

Pre-Medical
    idk really, the internet is a scary place

29. fingerscrossed2018

Pre-Medical
    ADCOMS keep up with this site, so when the new cycle rolls around & you’re posting in school-specific threads, they could potentially place your posts with your application! Just keeps the anonymity in case you say something you shouldn’t lol

30. Detective SnowBucket

Pre-Medical
    So may is a half a month away and I’m wondering how much you all have/will have studied if you keep track of your hours. For May 5th MCAT I’m at ~250 hours so far but I only keep track of minutes I’m actually studying (not staring off into space or sipping coffee or seeing how close I can focus my eyes) so that doesn’t include total time seated and “studying”. I know I get 60-75% efficiency so I’m around 350 hrs.

31. On_The_Way_Up

Pre-Medical
    What do you guys do in between practice exams? I’ve been doing practice passages from Next Step books and content review. Been doing some section bank each week too. Will start question pack next week.

32. gn528

Pre-Medical
    Heard different reviews about these NS packages. Heard that NS exams lose their quality after NS 4, not sure how much of that is true. Would anyone recommend getting NS1-10 with the Qbanks or should I stick with NS 1-4. What do you think about the Qbank
    My exam is on Sep 19th. Any thoughts would be highly appreciated!

33. On_The_Way_Up

Pre-Medical
    This thread is really for May test dates but sure why not. I’ve done NS 1-3. I’ve also done Altius 1-3. I heard NS 3, 6, and 10 are the hardest. The online question banks for Next step were pretty bad. I think you should try some Altius and EK exams. Try to do a couple companies rather than just Next Step.

34. spicydesi

Pre-Medical
    @On_The_Way_Up I spent the first two weeks of april experimenting with this... usually some KA passages for topics I'm scared of (genetics, physics-y physiology application-based passages). I throw in some TPR CARS passages, too. But I work full-time also so it's really a toss-up between light content review and practice passages during the week.

The QPacks should give you some confidence after the SBs!! They're certainly easier.

35. spicydesi

Pre-Medical
    True!! I really thought the TPR full-length was fake lmfao I'm not doing another one of those. I'm liking the SBs...everyone hyped them up soo much so I was really expecting to be demolished. But, it's still pretty skewed to biochemistry (I majored in BCHM) and I feel as though the real deal wont be this BCHM-heavy. Perhaps when AAMC rolled out the new test they wanted to provide BCHM-based practice.

I did think the first half of the B/B SBs was ROUGH. I scored 40/51. How's everyone else doing in preparation for test month??!

36. I'mJustCurious

Pre-Medical
    So my test date will be on a Saturday and I wanted to start taking the remainder FLs on Saturday to the test date. However, the library doesn't even open until noon. Should I suck it up and take it during the weekday?

37. fingerscrossed2018

Pre-Medical
    Absolutely. The day of the week doesn’t matter. Being mentally prepared for a 7-hour test at 8 a.m. does.

I'mJustCurious likes this.
  38. I'mJustCurious

Pre-Medical
    If my FL #3 does not increase dramatically should I be worried? (Test date May 19th). I need an MCAT score for SMP..

39. AllYouNeedIsHope

Pre-Medical
    May 18 Here!!!! I can't wait to have a life again. I'm trying my hardest to jump 10+ points so far i'm at a 504 average and want a 515 :)

40. I'mJustCurious

Pre-Medical
    Just listen to your username and you’ll get it!

41. AllYouNeedIsHope

Pre-Medical
    Haha True! my last FL I did is bringing me down but I think there is still hope.

42. I'mJustCurious

Pre-Medical
    Yeah I’m still down about my last score. Granted it was Kaplan, I still wanted a higher score

43. Detective SnowBucket

Pre-Medical
    @I’mJustCurious & @AllYouNeedIsHope I just took my first AAMC today after 9 Kaplan FL’s and it was quite a bit easier. With 0.00 studying between the Kap and AAMC, I went up 3 points from my high score and 5 points from my last FL, like a percentile jump of 5 & 15 percentile points.
    I felt like the CARS on Kaplan was most accurate and the Kaplan C/P was the least accurate. All in all, a 10 point jump IS Possible!

44. I'mJustCurious

Pre-Medical
    I’ll send you a pm after work!

45. AllYouNeedIsHope

Pre-Medical
    I haven’t taken Kaplan FL just because I heard they are not representative of the real deal so can’t comment. However, a jump is a jump and it must be celebrated every single time!!! :)

46. Detective SnowBucket

Pre-Medical
    Agreed thanks! Take kaps with the knowledge that they are hard as can be and deflated for score. They are still invaluable for learning pacing and what content you need to review, getting comfortable with the format and most importantly, endurance. Don’t take your AAMC FL’s til you’re not far out.

47. On_The_Way_Up

Pre-Medical
    I feel ya there. I’m working as well. What TPR source is it? I’m going to try some KA passages. Do they have good CARS passages?

48. On_The_Way_Up

Pre-Medical
    I’m same day! What test prep company have you been using for FLs?

49. JBruinW

Pre-Medical

KA Cars is ok. Not great. I have finished all of the B/B passages and all of the P/S passages. Working my way through the C/P ones but they're pretty discouraging because its not uncommon for me to only get 2 or 3 right for a single passage :/

50. Whatwethinkwebecome

Pre-Medical
    Any other May 5th test takers? How ya feelin?

51. AllYouNeedIsHope

Pre-Medical
    Cool Cool!
    I have done NS 1-4 and am now moving on with EK 1-4 then finally AAMC FL. hbu?

52. AllYouNeedIsHope

Pre-Medical
    Does anyone here think EK FL are good for CARS practice. Now that I'm done with NS FL, I'm done some research before going on to EK FL, and I see a lot about EK FL CARS not being good. However, I'm still looking to practice on my CARS. Should I try something else?