1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

*The Official MCAT May 2018 Thread*

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by MCATKINGS, Feb 25, 2018.

1. On_The_Way_Up

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I’ve heard KA C/P is awful and doesn’t represent the exam. So I wouldn’t worry too much if you’re doing well using other sources. Will try KA. How were the B/B and P/S?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. On_The_Way_Up

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I’ve done NS 1-3. And Altius 1 and 2. Might do the AAMC sample test this weekend.

4. spicydesi

Pre-Medical
    I have a work friend that swears by KA - that practicing with it was the reason she went up 8 points on her retake. For some reason, the KA CARS don't jive with me. But, some folks find them helpful. If anything, I'm sure the caliber of the passages is AAMC level. The same is sure for EK as well.
    I will try to do all the P/S KA passages... but there's only so much time. When are you testing?

5. On_The_Way_Up

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I did AAMC’s Official Guide to MCAT Exam.

CARS 25/30 83%

B/B 25/30 83%

P/S 26/30 86%

Still have to do C/P

Anyone know how it stacks up to the practice AAMC FLs or the actual MCAT?

6. On_The_Way_Up

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    My test date is May 18th. What about KA CARS do you not like? I’ve done passages from Next Step 108 passages book and they’re so dense and long. Most of the questions require you to go back to tiny details in the passage. Definitely don’t mimic AAMC material. When is your test date?

7. duckdoc20

Really has not correlation to how you will do on the FLs in my experience

8. On_The_Way_Up

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    How so? FLs more difficult?

9. 8kmlg

Pre-Medical
    hey all!

does anyone have extra attempts on Next Step full lengths (besides 1) they are willing to share/sell?!

10. Powerlifter95

Okay so just some insight into what’s going on would be appreciated.

NS1: 515
    NS2: 510
    NS3: 505(today)

All were in chronological order and taken over the course of 3 weeks. I’ve also been scoring 70-75% on EK full lengths. What do you think is up with that 505? Off day, NS test difficulty varying, or i have some sort of prion disease lol.

Detective SnowBucket likes this.
  11. AllYouNeedIsHope

Pre-Medical
    NS FL #3 is like that. Take it from personal experience so far.

12. Powerlifter95

Do you think I’m in decent shape thus far? I have the May 18th test date. Still have to take EK 4 NS 4 all the AAMCs and the section bank.

13. duckdoc20

I went up a ton in some sections and down a lot in others. I would say that the questions are dated a little for P/S. I had similar scores

#112 duckdoc20, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  14. spicydesi

Pre-Medical
    May 18th here as well!!
    This may be weird but for KA the format is soooo annoying to me. But I suppose the passages themselves are going to be the same quality. I feel that way about TPR CARS as well, similar to your review of the NS exams. I appreciate that the TPR passages are the same test format - but they're so nitpicky with their questions.
    I'm liking the QP CARS - I'm about 3/5 of the way through both volumes. Have you done them yet?
    How are you feeling overall? It's surreal that the test is in 30 days but I'm so excited to have it be done and apply. I actually like the breaks I take to work on my PS and schools list.

15. I'mJustCurious

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Is TPR a good source for FLs? I've heard mixed reviews

16. AllYouNeedIsHope

Pre-Medical
    Yea you have tons of material and time to keep raising your score.

17. On_The_Way_Up

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    OMG that was the worst. Especially that CARS section!

18. On_The_Way_Up

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I’m gonna get started on QP CARS soon. I’m feeling pretty good. Just need to get a little faster taking the B/B section. But I’ve improved a lot the last week. It’s crazy how fast we have to go on the exam as well. I’ve always been a slow test taker and like to take my time. I can’t wait for this test to be over. Definitely don’t want to take it twice. Yeah I got the MSAR and have made a preliminary list. It’s exciting to think about. The area I need the most help is the C/P section. I’ve made gains in all the other sections but modest ones in the C/P. Any good resources for C/P you know of?

spicydesi and Shotapp like this.
  19. Powerlifter95

What do you guys think of the AAMC flash cards? From what i can tell they’re all super easy. Probably set you up well for the discrete questions.

20. Powerlifter95

Also anyone taking the May 18th test in NY? If we’re at the same testing center can cry together during breaks

21. AllYouNeedIsHope

Pre-Medical
    Illinois people lets cry together

22. Powerlifter95

I was in Illinois recently. Went to a powerlifting meet and a wedding there. Your pizza is awful but your BBQ is life changing.

23. fingerscrossed2018

Pre-Medical
    Annoyingly easy lol. I would cry if the discretes on the actual are similar.

24. I'mJustCurious

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'll bring the tissues

25. spicydesi

Pre-Medical
    That's awesome!! I thought the first half of QP CARS was ROUGHH, at least for me. I did pretty well on the GRE verbal but for some reason CARS is just so different - the questions and really the length of the passages. So, timing for me is the issue specifically for CARS.

I'm usually the fastest in B/B, PM me? Perhaps we can swap and discuss strategy. For C/P, I've read KA is best besides AAMC (I haven't done any besides the PV/thermo application to the heart passage and capacitance to defibrillator application, lmaooo reckless) but I plan on doing those 2-3 weeks prior while I'm doing my weak content review. The fact that AAMC endorses KA (and not TPR, Kaplan, NS) I think speaks to how well AAMC is represented.

I thought TPR C/P is not that great, I did a few. How do you feel about NS C/P? If anyone wants access to my TPR online stuff, PM me and we can work something out. I'm not gonna use it.

I'm pretty excited for the apps themselves! Schools list..... is a full yikes until I see my score on June 19th haha. WE GOT THIS!

JBruinW likes this.
  26. spicydesi

Pre-Medical
    I took the 1st course test about a month ago (5/18 tester) and while it doesn't really represent the AAMC material; specifically, the science passages (specifically, C/P and P/S) I think if you have access to them it's a good way to evaluate timing, strategy, and endurance. I'd take your score with a grain of salt, though!

27. I'mJustCurious

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I read from reddit that it was counterproductive to take it since it's off. However, I still have 2 Kaplan and 2 AAMC to use in the mean time.

28. JBruinW

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Those are good scores for the OG. I did all of them yesterday and got
    B/B: 23/30 (wtf)
    C/P: 24/30
    P/S 26/30
    CARS: 25/30

It might have just been an off day but I got a 517 on AAMC1.. I definitely thought the OG science passages were more difficult than anything else I've encountered including the section banks. I got 75% and 84% on the C/P and B/B section banks respectively.

29. AllYouNeedIsHope

Pre-Medical
    The April Mcat test takers seem like they hate life right now from how hard their exam was

30. I'mJustCurious

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Lol. I'm sure they did fine. Got to stay focus!

31. On_The_Way_Up

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Maybe I’m wrong but from what I’ve seen I feel like it’s common to think you did worse on the real thing until you get your score. There is a guy on YouTube who contemplated voiding his exam and got 99 percentile. I’ve seen past threads here where people thought they did bad and got 510+.

32. I'mJustCurious

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So CARS is consistently low for me.. anybody have any tips? Not sure which sources to use to practice for the remaining time.

33. Detective SnowBucket

Pre-Medical
    Officially worried
    Took the second AAMC FL and promptly went down 3 points. Went from 513 (129,129,128,127) to 510 (129,126,129,126) so...wtf!
    Anyways, how’s everyone’s day been (laughing nervously)

34. Whatwethinkwebecome

Pre-Medical
    Hey, you're doing better than me. FL1 was a 506 (128/126/126/126). 80% correct in P/S and only a 126? Seems cruel. Anyways, I take FL2 tomorrow. Do you test 5/5?

35. I'mJustCurious

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Rough life scoring in the 510 range haha.

36. Detective SnowBucket

Pre-Medical
    Lol thanks guys, yes 5/5

37. Whatwethinkwebecome

Pre-Medical
    How far out are you taking FL3? I was thinking Monday before?

38. timephone

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Just took the Exam Krackers FL4 (got it as a free sample). Didn't like it very much. I thought some of the questions were very poorly worded (especially P/S section), and didn't reflect what was in the passage. Also several of the questions in C/P were unrealistically easy, even passage questions that were essentially discrete questions.

Despite that, I performed about as well as I did on TPR. Percentages for each section in order: 78%, 57%, 66%, 75%. Overall 69%. Did waaaayyy better in P/S than I thought I would, several questions I literally just quickly guessed (I wanted to get it over with ASAP).

Suffered from some serious exam fatigue however... Ate a massive carb-heavy lunch and paid for it during B/B. Ended up rushing through the end of that section and taking a 45 min nap between B/B and P/S. xD

Current goals: continue to hammer P/S, work on stamina during B/B and P/S. Testing on 5/19, I'll be doing all AAMC materials from here on out: CARS question pack > Sample FL > Section banks > FL 2 > Section banks > FL 3 > Exam Day.

39. duckdoc20

I think it is about focusing on your average FL score. I don't think it is reasonable to expect to score you lowest or highest on the actual test!

40. AllYouNeedIsHope

Pre-Medical
    Well man, I hope I get a 513 when I start AAMC FL so w/e haha but all jokes aside. I think it means that the second FL tested u on your weaknesses and that can happen on the true aamc or it can ask on your strengths hence 513. Everything is up in the air.

41. AllYouNeedIsHope

Pre-Medical
    MAIN IDEA & Don't assume anything. Any questions that ask you to assume something don't choose it.

42. I'mJustCurious

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    5/19 as well. I will probably start my AAMC stuff next week, it'll look something like yours

43. I'mJustCurious

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the daily tip! Will tune in tomorrow!

44. Detective SnowBucket

Pre-Medical
    I love how the AAMC materials have the drop down bar when you review for "I missed this question because" and the only thing I can ever think of when I see it is "I missed this question because..."
    [​IMG]

45. JBruinW

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What has everyone's experience been with N/S? I have been struggling to crack a 128 on any of the science sections. I have taken three so far with the first one at the very start of content review, the second during the middle and the final one yesterday just 25 days out from testing. Haven't seen a whole lot of improvement. Have gotten a 508, 511, and 512 on the most recent one.

Also how do you guys review full lengths and other AAMC material? Do you just read the explanations and move on or do you keep track of subjects you're weak on so you can review.

#144 JBruinW, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  46. AllYouNeedIsHope

Pre-Medical
    Meh, EK is so different n sucks (situational bias haha) I got on FL #4 C/P 37/59 CARS 29/53 B/B 31/59. I miss my NS FL days... let’s see how I do on EK#3 on Wednesday

47. Powerlifter95

I seriously don’t get how i go from absolutely bombing NS3(got a c/p score of 126) to getting an 83% on EK4 c/p section(and a 74% overall) with only like a week in between.

48. AllYouNeedIsHope

Pre-Medical
    Ha i did better on NS FL C/P. I think it just depends on it questioning u on ur strengths or weaknesses and a lot of bull**** inbetween

I’ve lost faith in third party FL honestly

49. Powerlifter95

Very true man. Looking forward to taking the section bank. I think if i can hit 80% across the board in that I’ll be happy.

50. AllYouNeedIsHope

Pre-Medical
    How is everyone doing!?!?!? ~ 3 weeks left -_-

spicydesi likes this.
  51. Powerlifter95

Just took NS4 and got a 509. So far my NS average is a 509.75 and EK average is 74.5%. Really on the fence about where my encore could go. Nervous.