Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

*The Official MCAT May 2018 Thread*

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by MCATKINGS, Feb 25, 2018.

1. On_The_Way_Up

Pre-Medical
    I’ve heard KA C/P is awful and doesn’t represent the exam. So I wouldn’t worry too much if you’re doing well using other sources. Will try KA. How were the B/B and P/S?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. On_The_Way_Up

Pre-Medical
    I’ve done NS 1-3. And Altius 1 and 2. Might do the AAMC sample test this weekend.

4. spicydesi

Pre-Medical
    I have a work friend that swears by KA - that practicing with it was the reason she went up 8 points on her retake. For some reason, the KA CARS don't jive with me. But, some folks find them helpful. If anything, I'm sure the caliber of the passages is AAMC level. The same is sure for EK as well.
    I will try to do all the P/S KA passages... but there's only so much time. When are you testing?

5. On_The_Way_Up

Pre-Medical
    I did AAMC’s Official Guide to MCAT Exam.

CARS 25/30 83%

B/B 25/30 83%

P/S 26/30 86%

Still have to do C/P

Anyone know how it stacks up to the practice AAMC FLs or the actual MCAT?

6. On_The_Way_Up

Pre-Medical
    My test date is May 18th. What about KA CARS do you not like? I’ve done passages from Next Step 108 passages book and they’re so dense and long. Most of the questions require you to go back to tiny details in the passage. Definitely don’t mimic AAMC material. When is your test date?

7. duckdoc20

Pre-Medical
    Really has not correlation to how you will do on the FLs in my experience

8. On_The_Way_Up

Pre-Medical
    How so? FLs more difficult?

9. 8kmlg

Pre-Medical
    hey all!

does anyone have extra attempts on Next Step full lengths (besides 1) they are willing to share/sell?!

10. Powerlifter95

Okay so just some insight into what’s going on would be appreciated.

NS1: 515
    NS2: 510
    NS3: 505(today)

All were in chronological order and taken over the course of 3 weeks. I’ve also been scoring 70-75% on EK full lengths. What do you think is up with that 505? Off day, NS test difficulty varying, or i have some sort of prion disease lol.

Detective SnowBucket likes this.
  11. AllYouNeedIsHope

Pre-Medical
    NS FL #3 is like that. Take it from personal experience so far.

12. Powerlifter95

Do you think I’m in decent shape thus far? I have the May 18th test date. Still have to take EK 4 NS 4 all the AAMCs and the section bank.

13. duckdoc20

Pre-Medical
    I went up a ton in some sections and down a lot in others. I would say that the questions are dated a little for P/S. I had similar scores

#112 duckdoc20, Apr 18, 2018 at 2:13 PM
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018 at 2:29 PM
  14. spicydesi

Pre-Medical
    May 18th here as well!!
    This may be weird but for KA the format is soooo annoying to me. But I suppose the passages themselves are going to be the same quality. I feel that way about TPR CARS as well, similar to your review of the NS exams. I appreciate that the TPR passages are the same test format - but they're so nitpicky with their questions.
    I'm liking the QP CARS - I'm about 3/5 of the way through both volumes. Have you done them yet?
    How are you feeling overall? It's surreal that the test is in 30 days but I'm so excited to have it be done and apply. I actually like the breaks I take to work on my PS and schools list.

15. I'mJustCurious

Pre-Medical
    Is TPR a good source for FLs? I've heard mixed reviews

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. AllYouNeedIsHope

Pre-Medical
    Yea you have tons of material and time to keep raising your score.

18. On_The_Way_Up

Pre-Medical
    OMG that was the worst. Especially that CARS section!

19. On_The_Way_Up

Pre-Medical
    I’m gonna get started on QP CARS soon. I’m feeling pretty good. Just need to get a little faster taking the B/B section. But I’ve improved a lot the last week. It’s crazy how fast we have to go on the exam as well. I’ve always been a slow test taker and like to take my time. I can’t wait for this test to be over. Definitely don’t want to take it twice. Yeah I got the MSAR and have made a preliminary list. It’s exciting to think about. The area I need the most help is the C/P section. I’ve made gains in all the other sections but modest ones in the C/P. Any good resources for C/P you know of?