The Official MCAT Motivation Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amandeep

Having MCAT nightmares!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

There's almost 3 weeks left until the actual MCAT and I think it's around this time that most of us begin feeling drained and overworked. But my situation is a little different. I've actually felt very un-motivated to study for the MCAT this summer, even though I know that this is the most important test of my life. This is probably my last chance to write the MCAT as I have already done it before.

Anyways, I thought we could use this thread to motivate each other along. Maybe even give each other advice & study ideas on how to stay motivated all the way to the finish line!!!!

Amandeep

Members don't see this ad.

great idea!

i'm pretty anti-competitive by choice, but certainly not by character. if i didn't restrain myself and tell myself to learn for the sake of making myself better, i'd prbably turn everything into a contest. for the mcat, however, i've decided to take advantage of my pettiness :p

i know it sounds incredibly immature and petty, but i envision a person that i absolutely detest and imagine them getting a 40T. i let myself stew with that thought for a bit then i rip into some practice exams :D works like a charm!

i know, i'm weird. :rolleyes:

scrubsRcomfy said:
i know it sounds incredibly immature and petty, but i envision a person that i absolutely detest and imagine them getting a 40T. i let myself stew with that thought for a bit then i rip into some practice exams :D works like a charm!

i know, i'm weird. :rolleyes:

Wow! Honestly, I think that is a really good idea. I agree it does sound a little petty, but I think I might use that next time...it sounds like it works!!! :p

I know its not very original but I just think how its going to feel in the spring not getting into med school because I wasnt willin to try hard enough during the summer. Works for me everytime.

Members don't see this ad :)
The mere thought of having to do this twice puts a fire under my ass!

I am one of those people who get through the most unpleasant and uncomfortable of situation by seeing at as something that must be done.

But for further incentive I like to tell myself: "It's either this or pumping Gas". :D

RayhanS1282 said:
But for further incentive I like to tell myself: "It's either this or pumping Gas". :D

that's funny, that's what my mom always tells my younger brother, "You're going to be pumping gas for the rest of your life!" I thought only my mom used that dated phrase, because where I live everything is self serve, so no one pumps gas. These days it seems like that job is now working at McDonalds. "You're going to be working at McDonald's for the rest of your life!" :laugh:

This is the third time for me, hopefully the charm. I'm doing hundreds of questions a day, and it is such a drag! Good luck, guys!

Hey, It's my third time as well. And hopefully my last...actually I think this HAS to be my last. When I think of failure, it sometimes actually makes me even more nervous and more panicky...that I begin to procrastinate even more!

Raaawr! Raawwwr! Rawwrrrrr! MCAT!

Hey I just wanted to make some noise! Come on everyone, egg on your fellow MCAT test takers.....so that we can kick the living crap out of this test!!!

We ain't going to be pumping anybody's gas and won't become telemarketers!!! Tell 'em people!

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGG (Loud, violent). I'm taking him down - slowly but surely...

Amandeep said:
Raaawr! Raawwwr! Rawwrrrrr! MCAT!

Hey I just wanted to make some noise! Come on everyone, egg on your fellow MCAT test takers.....so that we can kick the living crap out of this test!!!

We ain't going to be pumping anybody's gas and won't become telemarketers!!! Tell 'em people!

actually, i feel more like a meow.

When I took the test, here was my study regimen for the weeks leading up to the test: Take a full length one day, then spend the next day reading and practicing the two chapters (from Kaplan books in my case, but it would work with any test prep materials) that I did the worst on in each section (physics, bio, etc). That meant reading 8 chapters every other day, and taking a full length test every other day. So this means spending some time with your score reports after each test! You should see your scores rise quite a bit with this regimen, and it'll keep you organized. Good luck!

UMMedM1 said:
When I took the test, here was my study regimen for the weeks leading up to the test: Take a full length one day, then spend the next day reading and practicing the two chapters (from Kaplan books in my case, but it would work with any test prep materials) that I did the worst on in each section (physics, bio, etc). That meant reading 8 chapters every other day, and taking a full length test every other day. So this means spending some time with your score reports after each test! You should see your scores rise quite a bit with this regimen, and it'll keep you organized. Good luck!

excellent advice! i've been doing something similar to that, but have been having trouble figuring out how exactly to go about it with the time remaining. i'm going to give it a go.

UMMedM1 said:
What do you mean reading 8 chapters every other day? I'm doing EK books...I'm not sure there is enough time in the day to read 8 chapters...and in what subjects?

I'm sorry,I think I'm too fryed to understand what you are saying, do you care to elaborate on your method (last 3 weeks before test) I REALLY could use any help I can get...Thank you Thank you Thank you :oops:

I'm one of those "too lazy to study correctly the first time then too lazy to start until recently the second time" test takers. What can I say I thought I did well the first time (got a 30) then kind of lost motivation to try again. But I have found a pretty good method to keep me going. This is what I do when I grade a practice test or take a full length and see my score drop by three points:

I swear, shout, shop (optional, but very effective), breathe, then try to relax and I repeat the following:

Better now then later.

And then I start again.

gotgame,

I have that written on a post-it above my desk, fear of failure is the best motivator ever!

gotgame83 said:
I know its not very original but I just think how its going to feel in the spring not getting into med school because I wasnt willin to try hard enough during the summer. Works for me everytime.

teflontess15 said:
I'm one of those "too lazy to study correctly the first time then too lazy to start until recently the second time" test takers. What can I say I thought I did well the first time (got a 30) then kind of lost motivation to try again. But I have found a pretty good method to keep me going.

Just out of curiosity, why are you retaking if you got a 30?

RayhanS1282 said:
Just out of curiosity, why are you retaking if you got a 30?

Because I'm applying MD/PhD and need a higher score. Plus, people I know got a higher score than I did. And I got a weird range (8PS, 10V, 12BS).