The Official October 21, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorInASaree

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

As of today, we are less than three months away from writing one of the most important exams in our lives.

What are your studying strategies? How are you feeling about the MCAT?

We're all in this together, so let's get this discussion started!

And remember, October 21st, save the date!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello! I'm working on an adjusted version of SN2ED 3-month, adding in more content review days.

Added to my thread list!
Had to switch from August 15th to this one...Gives me more time to study and demolish this test.

Doing TBR for PS content review and supplementing practice from EK 1001, TPR SW, AAMC self assessments.
Doing TPR for Bio.
NOT doing EK101 for verbal but instead going to do self assessments, official MCAT guide, TPR verbal workbook --- Goal is to internalize AAMC logic rather than using an third-source (EK/TPR/etc) for strategy and logic.

Am joining you guys, let's keep this thread busy guys.
Retake so have firm grip on content.
PS: TBR Passages
Verbal: EK, TPR
BS: TPR For Biology
TBR For Orgo

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!

As of today, we are less than three months away from writing one of the most important exams in our lives.

Where are you and how is it going OP?

Am joining you guys, let's keep this thread busy guys.
Retake so have firm grip on content.
PS: TBR Passages
Verbal: EK, TPR
BS: TPR For Biology
TBR For Orgo

That's pretty much what I have been using as well :)

Where are you and how is it going OP?

It's going well, thank you! I began content review in early June, and I have recently finished my first sweep of content review. I wrote AAMC 3 and scored well, but upon further discussion I don't think it would be prudent to take more FLs two and a half months before the actual MCAT. I have decided to focus on Orgo experiments and Verbal for another month or so. In addition to that, I'll be going over TPR Physics/Gen Chem, so as to not forget any content before writing FLs in September.

Added to my thread list!
Had to switch from August 15th to this one...Gives me more time to study and demolish this test.

Doing TBR for PS content review and supplementing practice from EK 1001, TPR SW, AAMC self assessments.
Doing TPR for Bio.
NOT doing EK101 for verbal but instead going to do self assessments, official MCAT guide, TPR verbal workbook --- Goal is to internalize AAMC logic rather than using an third-source (EK/TPR/etc) for strategy and logic.

EK101 is strange...I like your plan for studying for verbsies!

Hi!

Out of curiosity, didn't you score 40+ on your first few practice tests already? Why not take it earlier?

Hope everyone's studies are going well! Excited and nervous for our MCAT, but I know we'll all ace it!
Here's how I'm studying:
PS: TBR
VR: EK & TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook
BS: EK for lectures (BR for passages)
I'm kind of working on a mixture of SN2ed's schedule and the EK schedule. Last few weeks will be purely review and focusing on weaknesses and plenty of time for FL's.

Last edited:
Wahoo! Just rescheduled for the 21st. 2 months to the date. Let's crush this test.

Members don't see this ad :)
How is it going for everyone here? This thread is so dead
I'd guess its because we're all so busy! I've just been going through the psychological ups and downs of waiting to take the MCAT, haha. But I'd say I'm doing well, mostly reviewing things at this point. Physics is kind of a struggle for me. How about you?

What FLs are you guys doing? I'm combining all the FLs of GS/TBR/AAMC and took 5 GS tests so far. Their tests aren't really that representative of the real mcat but good review I guess. If anyone has taken TPR or Kaplan FLs, let me know your thoughts on them!

I've been taking the GS tests and like the PS and BS sections to get more depth and work through the problems quickly. I don't know quite what to think about verbal yet. I guess once I take some more AAMC tests I'll be able to better assess the GS tests.

I took the free TPR, I did feel like it was a tad easier than other AAMC tests.

I've been taking the GS tests and like the PS and BS sections to get more depth and work through the problems quickly. I don't know quite what to think about verbal yet. I guess once I take some more AAMC tests I'll be able to better assess the GS tests.

I took the free TPR, I did feel like it was a tad easier than other AAMC tests.
I was using GS tests but i regret purchasing them. They do not involve critical thinking at all and utilize content verbatim. Its not good assessment of progress at all

I'm using the AAMC FL's and will probably look into using a few of the TBR tests as well. For verbal I've enjoyed have the TPR Hyperlearning Workbook, I think it's the best resource for verbal aside from the actual AAMC's.

Ahoy mateys!

Jumping on board for this date after rescheduling twice: first Aug. 15th then Sept. 12th, now I'm here :D

Surprised to see no talk of scores in this thread - what are you all hoping for, what are your practice test numbers looking like thus far? I've rescheduled twice because I'm aiming for high 30s and/or low 40s, but can't seem to break through the low-mid 30s so far:

AAMC-3 = 31 : 10/10/11
AAMC-4 = 33 : 9/12/12
AAMC-5 = 33 : 8/15/10
AAMC-7 = 35 : 9/13/13
AAMC-8 = 31 : 10/10/11
AAMC-9 = 35 : 12/13/10

I took 8 full length GS tests between AAMC-8 and AAMC-9, scored similarly all the way through, and saw almost no improvement on my AAMC scores, unlike many other folks who have taken and seemingly benefited greatly from the GS material.

This question goes out especially to DoctorInASaree if it's true you're consistently getting 40s, but I would love to hear everyone's opinion and experience of their own struggle with these two sections: did you start off getting good numbers in the PS/BS section, or did you have to build them up? And if yes, what did you do? My verbal is strong, and the two 10s I got I attribute mostly to being nervous: the first one was my first time taking a full length, and AAMC-8 was the first time I'd taken an AAMC test in 4-5 weeks after working on GS material and I knew it would reveal whether or not I had improved, so I was a little frazzled throughout.

My PS/BS are very inconsistent: taking full lengths and reviewing them is obviously not working for me. Like I said I took 8 GS full-lengths between AAMC-7 and AAMC-8 and saw little improvement, maybe even a dip lower in PS/BS. What would you all suggest? What's worked for you in regards to identifying and eliminating weaknesses in those sections?

So far Ive only taken 3 GS tests and notice that their science sections are good but verbal is a bit too easy (I rarely get 9s on verbal and never got 10 or more on that section when I was doing aamc tests and EK passages like a year ago but here are some of my scores)
GS1 - 8/8/11 = 27
GS2 - 9/11/10 = 30
GS 3 - 11/9/11 = 31
Still have to take the rest of the GS/TBR and some AAMCs so hopefully my verbal score stays in the 9+ area. Aiming for a 32+ with 45 more days to go!

Wow! This thread is super quiet! I just rescheduled from the Sept. 18th exam to this one. I hope everyone is doing very well, let's crush this beast!

Wow! This thread is super quiet!

:laugh: I had the same reaction when I rescheduled from another date with a much more active thread - good luck to ya! What's your game plan? Do you have a target score? Still waiting to see if anyone has any tips on raising their PS/BS section scores...

:laugh: I had the same reaction when I rescheduled from another date with a much more active thread - good luck to ya! What's your game plan? Do you have a target score? Still waiting to see if anyone has any tips on raising their PS/BS section scores...

Yeah it's somewhat strange coming from the 9/18 thread, which was pretty active. I suppose everyone here is just too busy getting their ish done?
Thanks for the luck, same goes to you! I was on the SN2ed schedule for the most part and thus I'm pretty much finished with content review. I got my hands on TPRHSW so I'm hoping to complete all those problems and the remaining 1/3 of TBR passages. Really what I'm needing to work on is my verbal score; I can't get it passed 9 on my practice exams. Do you have any verbal tips? Also what is your game plan?

I think I did bad on the Aug 21st exam so I picked up studying again for this test about a week after. I'm hoping the score will comes out well and I can just cancel this one. But if not at least I've kept up the studying intensity.

Yeah it's somewhat strange coming from the 9/18 thread, which was pretty active. I suppose everyone here is just too busy getting their ish done?
Thanks for the luck, same goes to you! I was on the SN2ed schedule for the most part and thus I'm pretty much finished with content review. I got my hands on TPRHSW so I'm hoping to complete all those problems and the remaining 1/3 of TBR passages. Really what I'm needing to work on is my verbal score; I can't get it passed 9 on my practice exams. Do you have any verbal tips? Also what is your game plan?

I was on the SN2ed schedule as well, though slightly modified. My initial goal was to take the Aug. 15th test, but I wasn't ready, and by the time my re-scheduled date was close (Sept 12th) my studying was showing me that I was capable of a higher score than I previously anticipated, so I said to heck with it and delayed again, currently aiming for scores in the high 30s, maybe higher, who knows?

As for verbal my main tips are to take the time YOU need to read the passage fully - no skimming, no mapping, no tricks, no nothing. You can usually get away with 3.5-4.5 minutes of straight reading per passage; just read it like it's a letter from your best friend about a topic that you find wildly interesting, and answer the questions. Do that and you'll be amazed by how many questions you can answer without referring back to the passage, and how quickly you'll finish the questions as a result. The other tip I'd suggest is that if you're practicing VR outside of CBTs, stop taking isolated VR passages and start practicing them in sets of 7 and time it like a real VR passage. That will give you a much better feel for the flow of the section, because some passages will be easy (6minutes) and some will be hard (9+minutes), so you'll be much more comfortable with budgeting your time if you practice them in complete 7-passage sets.

In case you didn't notice from my scores, PS/BS is my weakness, and I've already taken 14+ full lengths trying to bring them up, with little luck. So, between now and test day what I hope to do is comb through the PS/BS sections of the tests I've already taken, calculate the percentages of which categories I make the most mistakes in (e.g. acid/bases, electrochemistry, whatever) and start hammering those with content review and extra problems, starting with my biggest weaknesses first. I'm not really sure how this will work out, but I don't know how else to improve my score, because taking and studying full lengths isn't helping me anymore.

My Verbal was pretty steady, then jumped up a couple of points when I started to read the Op-eds of the New York Times. My goal was just to read the whole page staying focused on all of the op-eds. I found that I was able to read through the end passages with just as much focus as the beginning passages.

Lumberjack89 is right that you will begin to get a feel for the timing of passages. I started with SN2ed 7 min/passage and that really helped me speed up my reading and stay focused, but now when I take a FL I don't stick to the 7 min exactly per passage, but it shifts from 6-9 minutes based on subject matter. I found that if I was dead set on 7 min I would get stressed and rush harder passage, thus getting more wrong. When I really just remained calm and ignored the clock, I was good and still had ~5 minutes at the end to double check a couple of harder passages.

Officially just registered for this exam after finding out my pathetic score today :/

This was the only exam until January that was even available in my state. I have to drive 3 hours to my hometown to take it. BOO. Stupid AAMCs should offer tests almost every weekend.. I mean its very financially beneficial to them.

Officially just registered for this exam after finding out my pathetic score today :/

This was the only exam until January that was even available in my state. I have to drive 3 hours to my hometown to take it. BOO. Stupid AAMCs should offer tests almost every weekend.. I mean its very financially beneficial to them.

Yeah, I'm only registered for this date for the same reasons: I'll be driving 2 hours to get to a 8am administration that I barely found a seat for, which means I'll be up by 5am on test day.... yaaaaay.....

I was on the SN2ed schedule as well, though slightly modified. My initial goal was to take the Aug. 15th test, but I wasn't ready, and by the time my re-scheduled date was close (Sept 12th) my studying was showing me that I was capable of a higher score than I previously anticipated, so I said to heck with it and delayed again, currently aiming for scores in the high 30s, maybe higher, who knows?

As for verbal my main tips are to take the time YOU need to read the passage fully - no skimming, no mapping, no tricks, no nothing. You can usually get away with 3.5-4.5 minutes of straight reading per passage; just read it like it's a letter from your best friend about a topic that you find wildly interesting, and answer the questions. Do that and you'll be amazed by how many questions you can answer without referring back to the passage, and how quickly you'll finish the questions as a result. The other tip I'd suggest is that if you're practicing VR outside of CBTs, stop taking isolated VR passages and start practicing them in sets of 7 and time it like a real VR passage. That will give you a much better feel for the flow of the section, because some passages will be easy (6minutes) and some will be hard (9+minutes), so you'll be much more comfortable with budgeting your time if you practice them in complete 7-passage sets.

In case you didn't notice from my scores, PS/BS is my weakness, and I've already taken 14+ full lengths trying to bring them up, with little luck. So, between now and test day what I hope to do is comb through the PS/BS sections of the tests I've already taken, calculate the percentages of which categories I make the most mistakes in (e.g. acid/bases, electrochemistry, whatever) and start hammering those with content review and extra problems, starting with my biggest weaknesses first. I'm not really sure how this will work out, but I don't know how else to improve my score, because taking and studying full lengths isn't helping me anymore.

Thank you so much for your advice! I will most certainly start taking full passage sets instead of isolated VR passages. I usually tend to 'force' myself to read the passage as if I'm very interested in it, however sometimes I find myself rushing through it to give myself MORE time to complete the questions; I think I'll do what you've suggested, and switch it up, allowing myself more time to absorb and get into the passage. Your verbal scores are very admirable, so I trust that you know what your doing ;)

For the most part it seems that your PS/BS scores are pretty solid. Something that helped me improve my sciences was to just do practice passages outside of FLs (passages from TBR and TPRHSW). Have you tried this? A part of me feels like getting past a 35 overall is all up to the luck of the draw, and not to mention, a very generous curve. You still have plenty of time to increase those scores, and no doubt it can be done :joyful:

Okay guys we got this. Re-taking from Aug 2nd exam which I voided. I haven't studied actually since then and I just started yesterday. Well I took Kaplan 3 as diagnostic and had a 23 ( 8,8,7) Am going to review today and work on my weakness for the next two days, take another FL and repeat. This way I will be doing FL and also content review at the same time while alleviating my weakness. All the best guys, we got this!

Sorry to hear :( glad you aren't giving up! What are you planning on doing differently this time?
I just started studying again today and am realizing how quickly I was able to forget this stuff. This time I am using The Berkeley Review for content. I'm still not sure what I am going to do about FLs since I took all of the AAMC and Kaplan FL for the first exam.

I need to raise my score ~5+ points from my current test score within the next 5 weeks. My PS score I feel was a total fluke on this test, because it was no where near my average, which I was pretty consistent with. From my AAMC average, I only need to raise myself 2-3 points... Which shouldn't be an issue because I am on the lower end of the scale.

How is everyone studying for BS and PS? Content review? Passages?

I have access to the Kaplan materials (thank GOD for friends) but am wondering if I should buy some supplementary materials? Anyone had any experiences with flash cards?

Any input would be appreciated!

Nope, your score would be too late to be competitive. A lot of schools have already sent out interview invites. The earliest you can submit everything for your application the better because it shows the schools that you are proactive and prompt.

^This.

Also @BigEinstein welcome aboard - I too find myself taking a bit more of a break than I had anticipated after rescheduling! I had no idea how wound up I was mentally/physically for the Sept. 12th date, and about an hour after I rescheduled, my entire body basically just shut down in exhausted relaxation. I could barely get myself to stand up from my chair. After I realized how worn out I was cramming for that Sept. date, I decided to take this week off, and have just been reading a novel and hanging out with friends. I'm headed out "camping" (read: booze-fueled nature adventure) with friends for the next few days, and when I get back I'll have taken a solid 10 days off, and am looking forward to hitting the books hard again.

@ERPremed my entire focus is going to be on raising my PS/BS scores, so I'm going to be doing a lot of content review, but more specifically problems and quizzing/drilling. I have the entire BR and EK set, along with the EK1001 series and the TPR science workbook is in the mail, so I'm just going to be doing problem set after problem set until I start to actually eliminate my PS weaknesses. People keep saying PS is one of the few sections that can truly be mastered due to the limited number of equations and topics that come up, unlike the unpredictability of VR and the bio content of the BS, so I'm really looking forward to seeing if anything can be done about my shortcomings in that area.

I need to raise my score ~5+ points from my current test score within the next 5 weeks. My PS score I feel was a total fluke on this test, because it was no where near my average, which I was pretty consistent with. From my AAMC average, I only need to raise myself 2-3 points... Which shouldn't be an issue because I am on the lower end of the scale.

How is everyone studying for BS and PS? Content review? Passages?

I have access to the Kaplan materials (thank GOD for friends) but am wondering if I should buy some supplementary materials? Anyone had any experiences with flash cards?

Any input would be appreciated!

i am retaking exam from the summer. i didn't go through all my study books thoroughly the first go around. well i did too much content review and not enough practice problems. so my only focus now is going through every question i have and consistently reviewing a journal of wrong answers i've been keeping since i started. it helps me see the pattern of the types of mistakes i continually make. i am also using mcatquestion.com . i got the subscription and i find their verbal pretty realistic --maybe aamc passages are longer but question stems are good practice-- and their explanations for everything is more helpful to me then just sitting passively doing content review.
physics is my weak area so i'm just trying to drill the right answers to everything in my head.

Are any of you applying THIS cycle?

even though i had to retake, i am going forward with my app for this cycle. i had submitted primary in june and most DO schools accept mcat scores up until january. as for the MD schools that don't accept october mcat, (i didnt apply to many), ill take my chances with first score. worse comes to worse i won't have to take new mcat and will be ready for june of next cycle.

Ahoy mateys!

Jumping on board for this date after rescheduling twice: first Aug. 15th then Sept. 12th, now I'm here :D

Surprised to see no talk of scores in this thread - what are you all hoping for, what are your practice test numbers looking like thus far? I've rescheduled twice because I'm aiming for high 30s and/or low 40s, but can't seem to break through the low-mid 30s so far:

AAMC-3 = 31 : 10/10/11
AAMC-4 = 33 : 9/12/12
AAMC-5 = 33 : 8/15/10
AAMC-7 = 35 : 9/13/13
AAMC-8 = 31 : 10/10/11
AAMC-9 = 35 : 12/13/10

I took 8 full length GS tests between AAMC-8 and AAMC-9, scored similarly all the way through, and saw almost no improvement on my AAMC scores, unlike many other folks who have taken and seemingly benefited greatly from the GS material.

This question goes out especially to DoctorInASaree if it's true you're consistently getting 40s, but I would love to hear everyone's opinion and experience of their own struggle with these two sections: did you start off getting good numbers in the PS/BS section, or did you have to build them up? And if yes, what did you do? My verbal is strong, and the two 10s I got I attribute mostly to being nervous: the first one was my first time taking a full length, and AAMC-8 was the first time I'd taken an AAMC test in 4-5 weeks after working on GS material and I knew it would reveal whether or not I had improved, so I was a little frazzled throughout.

My PS/BS are very inconsistent: taking full lengths and reviewing them is obviously not working for me. Like I said I took 8 GS full-lengths between AAMC-7 and AAMC-8 and saw little improvement, maybe even a dip lower in PS/BS. What would you all suggest? What's worked for you in regards to identifying and eliminating weaknesses in those sections?

Hi there!

I think that for the vast majority of people preparing for the MCAT there was a period of orientation, and I was no outlier. It took me a week (a chapter or two or TBR passages) to become acclimated with MCAT passages. That is - how questions are asked, what types of questions to expect, how to answer those questions, what details I need to be searching for within the passage, how precisely to read a passage, working on timing, etc. I needed to develop an intuition for the MCAT.

My recipe for success is fairly simple: MCAT = Content + Methodology. I recently posted my MCAT passage method in another thread - I'll post the link here: Saree's Method

FYI - I know that I created this thread, but I rescheduled to Oct 25th.

Last edited:
score update
Kaplan Diagnostic: 16
Kaplan FL 1: 21
Kaplan FL 2: 23
Kaplan FL 3 (today): 25
I hope the trend continues. Moving to AAMC soon

How is everyone doing here?

I'm treading along..slowly. I'm sort of kicking myself for not sticking with my original testing date of Sept 18. I really should have just sucked up the fear and took it. But I'm very excited to get closer to 10/21!

How you doin'?

I'm treading along..slowly. I'm sort of kicking myself for not sticking with my original testing date of Sept 18. I really should have just sucked up the fear and took it. But I'm very excited to get closer to 10/21!

How you doin'?

Ha - I'm in the same spot, regretting that I rescheduled from Sept. 12th. Just think; it could have been all over by now! Ah well, I guess it's just that I'm having trouble reanimating the same degree of motivation to improve and succeed as I had going into the 12th. I'm just trudging along through content and problem set review on my PS/BS weaknesses, and I don't imagine my mood will pick up until I start taking full lengths again. I've got about another week or more of weakness-bolstering work to finish before then, so we'll see if it helps.

Hope everyone's feelin' good and getting in some solid work!

I can certainly relate LumberJack89. I'm on break from FLs for another 1-1.5weeks as I ossify my content review. Everything is nearly perfect except Orgo! Orgooooooooo!:oops:

Oh, and during my spare time (down-time), I have been writing a comprehensive Verbal guide.

I love you sleep :D Oh, I shouldn't prevaricate...I can't wait for movie night this Friday. Aladdin :D:D:flame:

Reactions: 2 users
I can certainly relate LumberJack89. I'm on break from FLs for another 1-1.5weeks as I ossify my content review. Everything is nearly perfect except Orgo! Orgooooooooo!:oops:

Oh, and during my spare time (down-time), I have been writing a comprehensive Verbal guide.

I love you sleep :D Oh, I shouldn't prevaricate...I can't wait for movie night this Friday. Aladdin :D:D:flame:

Saree! I've been meaning to ask you! how did you develop your mcat intuition? I feel like that's what's keeping me from increasing my score from where it is now. I know the content, no doubt about that, but I'm just upset because my score isn't showing that, do know what mean?

Ps great movie choice byw!!

score update
Kaplan Diagnostic: 16
Kaplan FL 1: 21
Kaplan FL 2: 23
Kaplan FL 3 (today): 25
I hope the trend continues. Moving to AAMC soon
UPDATE!!
Kaplan FL 7: 27 (9, 6, 12)
Am happy with the trend so far, moving 2 points with each FL

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys! I just signed up for this MCAT date..last night! I found an available spot in CA! How much improvement can I do in the next month with 40+ hours of studying a week, when I got a 23 on the AAMC 3? My goal is to get like a 25-27 MCAT score! Thanks && good luck to ya'll! :)

Hey guys! I just signed up for this MCAT date..last night! I found an available spot in CA! How much improvement can I do in the next month with 40+ hours of studying a week, when I got a 23 on the AAMC 3? My goal is to get like a 25-27 MCAT score! Thanks && good luck to ya'll! :)

Hi there Kayce! I'd say with the amount of time you're planning to put in, your goal is most certainly reachable, and probably can be surpassed no doubt! For some advice, just be sure to take some time off from studying, 40+ hours a week is a lot and you don't want to burn out before test day you'll want to peak then instead :happy:

Happy studying!

...I really wish this thread was more active :grumpy:

Thank you so much Shewillcreate! Yeah, it's sort of dead..but don't worry we will keep it alive and going ;)
I am talking just Cell Biology and I work here and there. It was such an abrupt decision on my behalf to sign up, otherwise I would have to fly out to a different state. I was hoping to take it November 7th! But, this works too..just have to study harder I suppose! How should I even study..should I go section by section or should I take a bunch of practice exams and see what I need to work on?