The Official Pitt Med Class Of 2008 Acceptance Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theprizefighter

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, All

First off, congrats to everyone who has gotten into Pitt MED!!!

I was hoping that this thread can give everyone who has gotten into Pitt Med to ask questions, share comments, and get some additional insight about the medical school and Pittsburgh. Since a few of us are going to end up being comrades in arms next year, I also thought this thread might be useful for us to get to know each other somewhat before orientation begins.

I go to school in Pittsburgh so if anyone has any additional questions about the Oakland area, feel free to sound off. I'll start by saying that Schenley Park is really one of the best places to jog, walk, and relax in when the weather is good. They're renovating Phipps Conservatory which will be outstanding when it's done. If any one else want to volunteer information or ask questions, post away!

Thanks,

theprizefighter

"One morning I woke up with an elephant in my pants. How he got into my pants - I'll never know." - Grocho Marx

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Just as a summary, 14 SDNers have have gotten into Pitt Med as for this posting.

1. B737

2. Joker

3. Mythili

4. Rendar 5

5. FuturERDoc

6. RoccoWJ

7. PianoGirl04

8. Bongsen

9. Mr. Rosewater

10. GTea

11. Werd

12. duka

13. hapikidoehic

14. quideam

May the SDN acceptances to Pitt keep on coming!

tpf

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

Just as a summary, 14 SDNers have have gotten into Pitt Med as for this posting.

1. B737

2. Joker

3. Mythili

4. Rendar 5

5. FuturERDoc

6. RoccoWJ

7. PianoGirl04

8. Bongsen

9. Mr. Rosewater

10. GTea

11. Werd

12. duka

13. hapikidoehic

14. quideam

15. edik

May the SDN acceptances to Pitt keep on coming!

tpf

ZekeMD,

Cheer up. You're in at Rochester which is one of the most outstanding medical schools in the country. It's no secret that the Cleveland Clinic took a lot of curricular tips from U. of R's playbook and you now have the opportunity to be part of that! You're golden!

theprizefighter

Originally posted by theprizefighter
Edik,

Welcome aboard.:clap:

tpf

Thank you very much, sir!

Nice, Edik!! Hang in there, Zeke!!! I'm telling you, you're going to get in!!!! And when you do, you better come to Pitt instead of Rochester!!

Btw, how many of you are seriously considering going to Pitt next year? As in, who is 90% or more sure that they're going to end up at Pitt??

prizefighter,

your name is not on the list, don't for get to add it to the list:)

Originally posted by quideam
Hang in there, Zeke!!! I'm telling you, you're going to get in!!!! And when you do, you better come to Pitt instead of Rochester!!

Thats what I keep telling myself...but it's soooooooo hard to wait and wonder. You know all too well Quid :). I hope I do get in....then I'll have a hockey buddy!:clap: Does anyone know what the music scene is like in Pittsburgh? I've played in lots of bands and would like to play out while in med school. Just wondering if it will be easy to find people to play with and places to play if I go to Pitt.

Thanks, GTea :love:

1. B737

2. Joker

3. Mythili

4. Rendar 5

5. FuturERDoc

6. RoccoWJ

7. PianoGirl04

8. Bongsen

9. Mr. Rosewater

10. GTea

11. Werd

12. duka

13. hapikidoehic

14. quideam

15. edik

16. theprizefighter

There I am!

As with Mr. Rosewater, I'm 90% sure I'm going to go to Pitt. I'm interviewing at the University of Miami next week but despite the weather, I don't think they can over power Pitt.

ZekeMD: The music scence is very diverse at Pitt. The biggest mainstay is jazz as we are the home of the International Jazz Hall of Fame. Indie and punk rock are also popular and I know one guy in an punk-jazz fusion group. Classical music concerts are always an option since we've got Carnegie Hall very close to campus. Basically, there's something for everyone here.

tpf

Members don't see this ad :)
so i'm deciding between UC Davis and Pitt. Leaving california would be a tough thing to do, but i really really loved pitt. To you native pittsburgh folks, how bad/hot/humid/unbearable does the weather get in the summer???? i know it's somwewhat of a trivial question, but it's something i've got to ask since in cali right now it's about 70 degrees!!!

well, I can't speak for pitt per say, but i live about 3 hours south of pitt along the ohio river...and i can tell you that summers are for the most part muggy and miserable--breathing is like trying to suck jello through a straw. winters aren't too bad--cold and sometimes snowy, but i still prefer summer to winter in this area.
don't get the impression that summer is all bad...it's not. but with the three rivers there (we have two here) expect a lot of fog in the morning and a good deal of humidity throughout the day. some summer evenings are nice and cool though

Hi everyone,

I'm also more than 90% sure I'm going to Pitt. The only thing that MIGHT change my mind is an awesome financial package elsewhere...although I'm not even sure that that would do it. Are you all planning to go to second look day?Is anyone bringing significant others? I'm debating as to whether or not to have the bf in tow.

Congrats everyone!! Can't wait to meet you guys in person!

hapkidochic,

That's a touch choice but if I were you, UC Davis would be my pick because if I were living in Cali I wouldn't want to leave. That said, Pitt is techically the better med school and going there might give you better opportunities for residency programs in uber competitive fields like derm and such.

One thing you've gotta know about Pittsburgh weather from someone who went here for undergrad: It's dark! By that, I mean we get the least amount of sunshine days and the most amount of rain of any city in the US with the possible excepton of Seattle. The winters here are very cold, icy, and damp. Spring and Fall are superb and Summer is rather humid. On location aspects alone, Davis is better but on medical education alone Pitt is better even though you could make an outstanding learning experience out of going to Davis. Tough call but that's how I see it. Good luck!

tpf

Add me to the list! I got the big envelope last night!

Originally posted by hapkidochic
so i'm deciding between UC Davis and Pitt. Leaving california would be a tough thing to do, but i really really loved pitt. To you native pittsburgh folks, how bad/hot/humid/unbearable does the weather get in the summer???? i know it's somwewhat of a trivial question, but it's something i've got to ask since in cali right now it's about 70 degrees!!!

During my interview day, at lunch, I spoke to a third year student who said, "Dude, if a cali resident gets into any UC schools, then go there. But if you don't, really consider pitt."

He was talking mainly about the fact that UCs are ranked higher (yes, UC Davis IS ranked higher than Pitt or relatively the same, I can't remember now) and it's hella cheaper. Just wanted to give you what a cali resident at pitt told me during my interview day.

All my best,
BonBon

hey, i know this has been posted b4, but i can't find it. anyone have the matchlist for last year? thanks.

And here it is with,

1. B737

2. Joker

3. Mythili

4. Rendar 5

5. FuturERDoc

6. RoccoWJ

7. PianoGirl04

8. Bongsen

9. Mr. Rosewater

10. GTea

11. Werd

12. duka

13. hapikidoehic

14. quideam

15. edik

16. theprizefighter

17. raincrew

18. pyroseq

Mr. Rosewater: Pitt Med's web site --> Prospective Medical Students --> Admissions --> Quick Glance: Graduate Residency Match.

tpf

thanks guys for all the info on weather! Yes it's going to be a tough call between pitt and davis. I'm hoping that things will become clearer after second look weekend. Speaking of which, i recall that someone a few weeks ago posted that second look would be April 16-18 (but i'm too lazy to look for that thread!). Can anyone confirm those dates?

I'm a Cali resident, but I would go to Pitt in a heart beat over UC Davis. Though Cali weather is nice, Davis is not the most exciting place to be. Plus, though it is still cheaper, with the tuition increase it is not as big of a difference as before. Also, I think Pitt has a better reputation.

As far as residency is concerned, if you want to stay in CA, maybe it is a good idea to go to Davis since most UC students match into programs in CA. But then again, there is no guarantee where/what program in CA. If your primary concern is to stay in CA no matter what or where in the state, definitely go to Davis.

As for me, I think having the chance to explore out of Cali is attractive. Though it is nice here, I sort of feel like I am limiting my experiences by staying in Cali for so long. But with that said, I know if I get an acceptance letter from the two UCs I applyed to, it'll be a difficult decision for me. But personally, if I was in your situation, I'd go to Pitt. I really loved that place.

The match list for Pitt is on their website, I think, on pdf.

hapkidochic,

Those dates for the second weekend look sound about right to me and I'm sure Pitt'll be e-mailing everyone with more info about that.

tpf

hey, so is everyone going to the 2nd look weekend? I'm almost positive i'm going to pitt (barring some huge scholarship or something from somewhere else), so is there any real point to going?

If money weren't a factor, Pitt would be my first choice. But, Pitt does have very high avg debt, and has a rep for doing a not-so-good job with aid. Any thoughts?
Is anyone else worrying about this?

Yeah! I just got my email acceptance today! I am so excited! Congrats to us all, I'm so happy, especially since you all seem so nice! :clap:

I'll be at the second look, and i'm going to try to drag along my sweetheart as well :) :)

Yeah, the debt concerns me, but my parents make enough to guarantee that I wouldn't really get any debt assistance from any school anyway...

Also, I just got waitlisted at Penn (boo!!!) so unless Yale comes through, i'll be seeing you guys in the fall as well!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hi, All

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to the second look weekend. It's all but an open and shut case that Pitt is the one for me.

tpf

Theprizefighter,

Just out of curiousity, why is Pitt your #1? I love Pitt too... I think i'm just feeling a little down about the Penn waitlist and need a reminder of how great Pitt is :)

Oh yeah! I get to join you lucky mofos on this list. :)

quideam,

I'm really interested in academic medicine but I still want to have a strong clinical education. To me, Pitt really combines the two well. They've got hundreds of millions of dollars in NIH funding but they also have the patient simulation center and 85% of the hospitals in Pittsburgh so you can go to a variety of different centers and see lots of pathologies and conditions.

I've traveled to such places as Mexico, Egypt, the U.K., and around the U.S. put Pittsburgh's my home. Though I'll probably move away for residency to a warmer weather climate (Florida?), it feels nice to go to med school in my home town. Having gone to Pitt for undergrad, I know the area and people so it's not so much of a difficult shock to adjust as it'll be for others.

Even from a superficial standpoint of rankings, Pitt's the highest school I've gotten into. The next closest school is Case. No matter how I look at it from education, prestige, or quality of life, Pitt comes out on top every time. I feel very luck to have been accepted into this medical school and I'll do my best to make good on that as a med student and doctor.

theprizefighter

Welcome to the Fellowship of Pitt Med, TheFlash.:)

1. B737

2. Joker

3. Mythili

4. Rendar 5

5. FuturERDoc

6. RoccoWJ

7. PianoGirl04

8. Bongsen

9. Mr. Rosewater

10. GTea

11. Werd

12. duka

13. hapikidoehic

14. quideam

15. edik

16. theprizefighter

17. raincrew

18. pyroseq

19. TheFlash

add me to the list.

We're at 20, folks!

1. B737

2. Joker

3. Mythili

4. Rendar 5

5. FuturERDoc

6. RoccoWJ

7. PianoGirl04

8. Bongsen

9. Mr. Rosewater

10. GTea

11. Werd

12. duka

13. hapikidoehic

14. quideam

15. edik

16. theprizefighter

17. raincrew

18. pyroseq

19. TheFlash

20. heifer

tpf

Wow! I wonder what percentage of acceptees were SDN members...

Hey TPF, I got into pitt too. but I am thinking about withdrawing from there. anyone on the waitlist (zekemd), i really hope you get my spot. good luck to all

Yo, i just wanted to share a few of my thoughts now that it's been a few days. first off, i can't believe i'm really going to pitt, it's gonna be awesome. the things that i'm most psyched about are:

1. The incredible amount of research funding they get 300m (more than yale, cornell, duke, etc. etc.).

2. All the MAJOR additions they're either building or planning. I think this, combined w/ #1 make an already strong school a powerhouse waiting to happen.

3. The city. No, it's not NY, but it's cool and it's CHEAP. There's enough to do to keep any med student happy, and not break the bank.

I dunno, i guess i'm just really getting psyched about pitt. it's an awesome school and i'm feeling really lucky right now.

When I was in Pittsburgh, I remember someone telling me that the city is thinking about cutting down public transportation. Does anyone have info on this? I really thought their bus/shuttle system was great.

First, congrats to everyone who got accepted. Pitt is really a good school. As for me, do you have any general suggestions or advice. I understand the interview is close file. The session with adcom member, is that an interview or just info session? Do I have any chance getting in so late in the process (my file was completed about 2 mo ago). :confused: :confused: :confused:
Anyway, thanks for your help.

Hello, possible future classmates! :) Looks like SDNers are really representing in the Pitt class.

I really loved Pitt and would go there in a heartbeat if money weren't a concern. I liked the block scheduling, the H/P/F grading, the "person-to-person" philosophy, the simulation lab...I could go on and on. Particularly, I felt that even though a lot of research is going on at Pitt, it's not a school that tries to push people into academic medicine, as a lot of highly-ranked schools do. And I loved the city of Pittsburgh! But because of financial stuff, I can't say that I'll be going to Pitt with any certainty. It's too bad I can't go to the second look weekend, because I could really use another look at the place before I have to decide anything.

Congratulations everyone who got into Pitt. Add me to the list! :)

:clap:

Hi, All

1. B737

2. Joker

3. Mythili

4. Rendar 5

5. FuturERDoc

6. RoccoWJ

7. PianoGirl04

8. Bongsen

9. Mr. Rosewater

10. GTea

11. Werd

12. duka

13. hapikidoehic

14. quideam

15. edik

16. theprizefighter

17. raincrew

18. pyroseq

19. TheFlash

20. heifer

21. superk0725

22. doctormoo

Cheers :clap:

tpf

I was born in Florida and moved to the Pittsburgh area when I was 7. I have been in love with Pittsburgh ever since... Here are my top 10 reasons for liking Pitt Med and Pittsburgh:

10) You don't get spoiled with too much sunshine, making you appreciate a good sunny day!

9) Steelers, Penguins, Pirates - cheap $20 pens tickets with student ID.

8) Pitt Med is known for being the best medical school and medical center (UPMC) in the area. Also, anyone in my pre-med class would give their right arm to go there.

7) The cultural district - the symphony, the benedum center, the O'Reiley Theatre (and many more).

6) Panther Basketball is extremely hot right now.

5) The research opportunities available at Pitt.

4) Oakland - clubs, life, undergraduate student body.

3) Resources - tremendous resources available in Pitt's Hillman library, the medical library, and the Carnegie Library.

2) The people - Pittsburgh has some of the friendliest people around - none of that cut throat east coast mentality here! :cool:

1) The opportunities available with a Pitt education. You can literally go anywhere!

I hope to see yinz guyz at the second look weekend!

Rocco

AIM: rocpen321

Hi, everyone. I am going to Pitt too!

It's so cool to see everyone being excited for PittMed.
We have a great bunch of SDNers here :)

Hey Rocco, TPF and other pple familiar w/ the city, i posted a question on pittsburgh in the lounge, could you guys take a look at it? i'd really appreciate your opinions. thanks.

Okay people, I just sent out my data form to Pitt and am pumped up about going there. I am 90% sure I'll go there. Is anyone from CA (possibly from Los Angeles?) also going?

I'm definitely going to the second look.

Also, noone responded to my question about the transportation in Pittsburgh. Does anyone know?

Hey everyone. I just got back from being away on break to an acceptance from Pitt! I'm really excited about pittsburgh and am almost certain I'll be going. Quid, I feel ya on the being six hours away from your significant other (I got the tier 1 from penn as well). Pitt is fantastic though, and I really got a sense of belonging when I visited. In short, I'm pretty stoked and look forward to meeting many of you on second look.