The Official Pitt Med Class Of 2008 Acceptance Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by theprizefighter
Hi, All

1. B737

2. Joker

3. Mythili

4. Rendar 5

5. FuturERDoc

6. RoccoWJ

7. PianoGirl04

8. Bongsen

9. Mr. Rosewater

10. GTea

11. Werd

12. duka

13. hapikidoehic

14. quideam

15. edik

16. theprizefighter

17. raincrew

18. pyroseq

19. TheFlash

20. heifer

21. superk0725

22. doctormoo

23. surfej

Cheers :clap:

tpf

I look forward to meeting you all in a few months!! I am so excited!

Members don't see this ad.

1. B737

2. Joker

3. Mythili

4. Rendar 5

5. FuturERDoc

6. RoccoWJ

7. PianoGirl04

8. Bongsen

9. Mr. Rosewater

10. GTea

11. Werd

12. duka

13. hapikidoehic

14. quideam

15. edik

16. theprizefighter

17. raincrew

18. pyroseq

19. TheFlash

20. heifer

21. superk0725

22. doctormoo

23. linus

1. B737

2. Joker

3. Mythili

4. Rendar 5

5. FuturERDoc

6. RoccoWJ

7. PianoGirl04

8. Bongsen

9. Mr. Rosewater

10. GTea

11. Werd

12. duka

13. hapikidoehic

14. quideam

15. edik

16. theprizefighter

17. raincrew

18. pyroseq

19. TheFlash

20. heifer

21. superk0725

22. doctormoo

23. surfej

24. linus

And then there were 24. :clap:

tpf

-------------------------------

Pitt Med Class of 2008

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry surfej, i quoted the wrong post :p

I figure I'll add myself to the list. This seems like a whole lot of acceptances. How many of you plan on going to second-look?

1. B737

2. Joker

3. Mythili

4. Rendar 5

5. FuturERDoc

6. RoccoWJ

7. PianoGirl04

8. Bongsen

9. Mr. Rosewater

10. GTea

11. Werd

12. duka

13. hapikidoehic

14. quideam

15. edik

16. theprizefighter

17. raincrew

18. pyroseq

19. TheFlash

20. heifer

21. superk0725

22. doctormoo

23. surfej

24. linus

25. Wardens

hey '08 acceptees -

just wanted to say congratulations to all of you! most of you sound pretty sure you'll come join us next year, but for those you who are on the fence, i'd really like to encourage you to come to Second Look (which yes, is from april 16-18) - we have a lot of fun things planned for you, and it's a great chance to meet some of the current students, meet some of your future classmates, and check out the city and the med school. so take a look at the website (it should be included in the acceptance package) and rsvp!!

of course, if you have any questions about anything, don't hesitate to ask. i'm a san diego/chicago girl who really didn't want to be in pittsburgh, but i have totally been won over by the school.

oh, and about the public transportation thing - i think there were some budget cuts earlier this year but it hasn't really affected anyone i know. pittsburgh's public transportation doesn't compare to the bigger cities, but as long as i can catch my bus between home in shadyside and school in oakland, that's all that matters to me...

hope to meet some of you soon!-
GO PITT BASKETBALL!
v.

Originally posted by GTea
Okay people, I just sent out my data form to Pitt and am pumped up about going there. I am 90% sure I'll go there. Is anyone from CA (possibly from Los Angeles?) also going?

I'm definitely going to the second look.

Also, noone responded to my question about the transportation in Pittsburgh. Does anyone know?
The city threatened at the beginning of this year to cut bus service drastically but it didn't happen. I do not see it happening for a long time (there woudl be a major parking problem in Oakland, downtown, etc if they cut the bus service.) I would not worry about it.

Thanks vscarlet27 and auster.

I'm in as well!

1. B737

2. Joker

3. Mythili

4. Rendar 5

5. FuturERDoc

6. RoccoWJ

7. PianoGirl04

8. Bongsen

9. Mr. Rosewater

10. GTea

11. Werd

12. duka

13. hapikidoehic

14. quideam

15. edik

16. theprizefighter

17. raincrew

18. pyroseq

19. TheFlash

20. heifer

21. superk0725

22. doctormoo

23. surfej

24. linus

25. Wardens

26. SachinG

I live near Pitt and will be going to the second week look...If anyone needs a ride from the airport, I would be glad to help.

Rocco

AIM: Rocpen321

I am going for sure.

Hey guys, I definitely am keen on going to the second look weekend. Hopefully I'll see some other sdn'ers there. Do y'all know if Pitt pays for air plane tix? I doubt it, but it's worth a shot, since otherwise it'll be a five hour drive for yours truly.

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry - pitt can't help you out with plane tickets, but we'll try to treat you like royalty during the actual weekend ;) ... this question is actually on the FAQ part of the website - and if you have more questions regarding second look, email [email protected] ... and don't forget to RSVP and reserve your spot soon!

Thanks for the help, vscarlet. :) Do you know exactly what "An evening out in Shadyside" entails? I'd love to check out some of the nightlife around Pitt.

Shadyside is where i'd say *most* of our classmates live, and it's also where a lot of us study and where a lot of us go out. "An evening out in Shadyside" more or less means we'll try to show you around some of the places that we frequent - there are a lot of bars/restaurants off Walnut Street. Although Pitt can't technically pay for any booze (as i hope you'll understand), I think we're going to try to set up some deals for you to take advantage of. And if bars aren't really your scene, there are also some places with chill music/loungy feel/karaoke/pool/sports things going on in the area. the point of the night is to have you hang out and get to know some people and have a lot of fun!

Did anyone/everyone receive an email today reminding them to apply for the Dean's Merit Scholarship?? I just wanted to see if they thought I might be a good candidate or if this was standard procedure.

i got that email today. got another one like it over winter break too.

To all of you future Pittmed peeps. congrats on your acceptances and we hope that you will come to second look weekend. If you are close and know you are going to Pitt, you might want to come anyway just cause it will be an awesome time. I have one request from people on this board, which is to only sign up for second look weekend if you have already been admitted. I know this sounds a bit silly but we can't have people signing up who might not be able to come. so good luck with your choices and I hope that we'll see you at 2nd look. cheeers.

count me in, I'll be at the 2nd look... I noticed that the website says the second look lasts through April 18, is there anything specifically planned for that Sunday? I didn't see anything listed on the calendar

Yeah, I was wondering about the vague Sunday activities as well. I was sorta thinking about dipping out early on Saturday. The Cavaliers are going to be in force at the second look! :horns:

Sunday we have nothing planned but wanted to give people a chance to stay Saturday night cuz the party will probably go pretty late. Also, I'm sure there will be informal things happening.

What do people think about Pitt's 2003 Matchlist? I know it's difficult to assess match lists, but I'm looking at it now and am wondering if any current students could provide their honest input on this

I feel like starting a pitt vs. sinai thread, but I will abstain

P.S. Thanks for the info indiamacbean

i thought the match was really strong. a lot of top name hospitals and many competitive residencies. the only thing i was surprised by was the amt. of pple doing ENT. 8 seems like a lot for that speciality.

Hi, All

I unfortunately don't think I can go to the second look weekend because it's right before my final exams week. Too bad because it looks like a lot of fun.

tpf

The match list looks pretty strong to me. Lots of high quality matches in competitive specialties. 11(!) anesthesiology, 8(!) ENT, 4 optho, 4 ortho, 2 surgery at Harvard hospitals, etc. Sure there are quite a few primary care matches as well, but that's mostly due to a lot of the class wanting to go into primary care from the beginning. Pitt's cool in the respect that they don't seem to push students to go into specialities over primary care or vice versa.

For those going to second look, are you staying with a host?

Originally posted by TheFlash
The match list looks pretty strong to me. Lots of high quality matches in competitive specialties. 11(!) anesthesiology, 8(!) ENT, 4 optho, 4 ortho, 2 surgery at Harvard hospitals, etc. Sure there are quite a few primary care matches as well, but that's mostly due to a lot of the class wanting to go into primary care from the beginning. Pitt's cool in the respect that they don't seem to push students to go into specialities over primary care or vice versa.

i think this is the hardest part about judging a matchlist. say a school has 30 IM residents. it's impossible to tell what percent of those pple are going into competitive subspecialties.

Originally posted by Mr. Rosewater
i think this is the hardest part about judging a matchlist. say a school has 30 IM residents. it's impossible to tell what percent of those pple are going into competitive subspecialties.

So true. I definitely think pitt has a strong match list (I wasn't meaning to implicitly criticize the list by asking people's thoughts on it, just want to see how others interpreted it). Current pittmed students, have you heard about pitt's reputation helping in residency interviews? The more I learn about pitt, the more I become attracted to it; this is going to be a hard decision come May 15.

There is a lot to be said for UCSF, but Pitt said yes first. I've got a brother out there at CMU, and I love the french fries. I think if Pitt beats UW (my current host state) in the second round, Pitt will be a must for me. You can add me to the list.

Can anyone current pitt students speak to the area of concentration program? this program realllly attracts me and I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with the global health concentration in particular

great question regarding AOC, i would like to hear more also about this

Hi. I got into Pitt and plan on joining the class of 2008. Could someone add me to that long list?
I can't wait to meet all of you!

so, wuddup w/ the 2004 match? I'd really love to see it.

btw, welcome gabe.

does anyone know when and how often the admissions committee meets? i'm dying to hear from them!

Originally posted by Mr. Rosewater
so, wuddup w/ the 2004 match? I'd really love to see it.

btw, welcome gabe.

Yes Elliot, I'm dying to see the list too.

For the 2004 Pitt match list, check out the Allo forum ("Post your school's match" and "Current Pitt students"). I'm no expert on residency programs, but I thought the list looked impressive.

hi i just wanted to add myself to the list. more than likely ill be seeing you guys next fall. congrats

welcome to the club.

i have to admit the success rate of SDNers applying to Pitt is pretty impressive.

tonyjerry,

did you just get your acceptance or were you accepted in the first round in early march?

Got my letter from UPITT today. I am excited as hell!!

peace,

numba one stunna

i got my acceptance today, i think it was postmarked th 19th and i interviewed about a month ago. they told us during the talk that we missed the first batch.

hey guys, i just had a question about pitts teaching hospitals. i dont remember anyone saying if theyre community hospitals and admit anyone or if theyre private. thanks

I too happily received the big envelope from Pitt. I'm definitely thinking strongly about attending, but the finances are an issue. I think I remember from the interview day that the average debt was 168K.

Does anyone know if Pitts waitlist is indeed ranked? If so, will they let you know where you fall in the rankings?

Originally posted by bokermmk
Does anyone know if Pitts waitlist is indeed ranked? If so, will they let you know where you fall in the rankings?

Yeah does anybody know if you can call and find out? It might make a whole lot of difference for me to know if I have an OK chance.

I think they give all candidates a numerical score post-interview. So it would make sense for the waitlist to be ranked according to these numbers. I believe that they do not disclose information about your position in this list, however.