***The Official Rutgers School of Dental Medicine Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know when we should hear back from admissions if we interviewed in January

Members don't see this ad.

Don’t worry, several people in my class interviewed at the last interview and got in

Did they receive an offer soon after the interview, or more so like wait-listed --> acceptance a few months later? Wondering when interviewees can expect to hear back! :)

Did they receive an offer soon after the interview, or more so like wait-listed --> acceptance a few months later? Wondering when interviewees can expect to hear back! :)
My friend who interviewed last year in Jan was wait listed and got in May

Members don't see this ad :)
Don’t worry, several people in my class interviewed at the last interview and got in

that’s awesome, do you know if they got waitlisted first and didn’t get in until much later? or were they accepted immediately?

Has anyone who interviewed in January heard back from admissions yet or know when we should hear from them?

I interviewed January 4th and got accepted on January 8th, which I thought was pretty strange because Dr. Chaviano made a big deal about saying how they were just interviewing for their waitlist

Got waitlisted today, interviewed at their last session. The waiting continues.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know how many people are on the waitlist and/or how well it moves?

Does anyone know when do we start to file the FAFSA application? I saw ppl said we should file the application asap, but I called the financial office, and they told me that it is started in March. Can anyone comment on this? Thanks a lot!

Does anyone know when do we start to file the FAFSA application? I saw ppl said we should file the application asap, but I called the financial office, and they told me that it is started in March. Can anyone comment on this? Thanks a lot!

If you can do now you may as well. I would trust the financial office though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stay hopeful guys. Interviewed Jan 11th, waitlisted 14th, and accepted Feb 1st.

Reactions: 1 users
If you can do now you may as well. I would trust the financial office though.
Thank you very much. I have submitted the FAFSA application. Also wondering if you know the matching result of current D4 students at Rutgers in 2019. Thank you so much!

Hi guys, does anyone know if we can get our immunization requirements done outside of North America? documents would be translated into English

Has anyone received the mail Rutgers said they were sending? Something about the Rutgers student ID/email setup. They said it was sent like 2 weeks ago, but I still haven't got anything.

Has anyone received the mail Rutgers said they were sending? Something about the Rutgers student ID/email setup. They said it was sent like 2 weeks ago, but I still haven't got anything.

Maybe check junk/spam?

Another thing for you and anyone else in the C/O 2023 is that you guys should post your questions on the fb group since so many more people there can answer than on here, where there aren’t that many students who are in school. Since we use fb for many school related things it may help to post on fb.

Yes. I received the physical mail one week ago, and you may want to ask them to mail the letter again if you don't receive it. Also, you need to setup the RUId in order to submit the immunization form. I believe that the deadline of immunization form is April 30.

Last edited:
Yes. I received the physical mail one week ago, and you may want to ask them to mail the letter again if you don't receive it. Also, you need to setup the RUId in order to submit the immunization form. I believe that the deadline of immunization form is April 40.

All right, I'll check with them, thanks. I'm in Canada so hopefully it's just arriving slow because of that...and not because it's lost Lol.

What is the likelihood of getting Rutgers housing? How is the area in Newark surrounding the dental school and why would Rutgers be a better choice than NYU (other than the obvious price tag differential)?

Everyone who wants RBHS housing gets it in 180 W Market. Area around the school is completely fine. I live off campus as do many - really cheap places close by. There are many many reasons to choose Rutgers over NYU. PM me if you need more info about anything.

I replied to someone's personal message, but I think y'all would benefit if I shared it with everyone...

I do not think 180 W Market is worth it. Most D1s get 3 bedroom / 1 bathroom places for about $1100/month/person. Plus you have to move your stuff out every year. Also, don't look for single units (1 bed/1 bath), it's really a waste of money - you'll hardly be at the place anyway.

Some other options students choose:

24 Jones: 1 bedroom/1 bathroom (there are 2 bedroom places too), very nice. <5 minute walk to school. Gym, security, outside space, next to ShopRite. I think about the same price as 180.

Society Hill: Townhouses right near the dental school. 2-4 bedrooms w/ 2 baths. Range from crowded to nice. <5 minute walk to school. Prices as low as 700/month/person.

Other places north of school (University Heights, North Ward, near NJIT and Rutgers Newark): This is where I live. Can find rooms around 600-700/month/person, less if you're willing to share. 10-15 minute walk to school. Homes, townhouses and apartments (e.g. 40 Sussex Ave). Best advice, get a couple of dental students and split.

Other places east of school (central Newark, near Rutgers Business, Ironbound): Some great areas, some not so great. This is probably out of walking distance, so you'd need a bike, car, or take the bus. Rutgers has a bus going through these areas. Prices vary drastically.

Rule of thumb: Do NOT look for places West or South of the campus! At least not without knowing Newark a little more.

I would wholeheartedly recommend somewhere within walking distance. But here are some other popular options...

Harrison: Short drive (right across the bridge). Tons of new places. Probably around 900-2000/month/person.

Jersey City + Hoboken: Short drive off-hours, difficult during travel hours. People live there because it's nice and things like nightlife are good. Popular for D3+D4, not so much for D1+D2. Prices have gone up a lot recently.

There are other towns close by. Can probably find good prices, but commuting is hell around here - I'd really recommend waking distance.

Last edited:
BTW, you are all free to contact me if you have questions about anything. You'll be meeting me pretty soon anyway. I'm also willing to meet you guys at school if you're ever around.

anyone know if the class is full or if they are still sending out acceptances from the waitlist?

anyone know if the class is full or if they are still sending out acceptances from the waitlist?

Class is probably full by now. All schools have probably filled their seats. However, there are still reasons spots could open. Applicants changing school decisions last minute, medical emergencies, etc. There are people who are taken off waitlists even days before schools start.

If I remember correctly as a Pre-Dent, there was a lot of waitlist movement once Canadian decisions come out. I think that was in the Spring sometime. The Canadian students apply to US schools in case they aren't accepted to Canadian ones in the Spring, and if they are accepted, they drop their spots at US schools. But you'd have to research when that happens.

Has anyone been accepted off the waitlist yet? I know they said Mid-Feb but I haven't seen anything!

Class is probably full by now. All schools have probably filled their seats. However, there are still reasons spots could open. Applicants changing school decisions last minute, medical emergencies, etc. There are people who are taken off waitlists even days before schools start.

If I remember correctly as a Pre-Dent, there was a lot of waitlist movement once Canadian decisions come out. I think that was in the Spring sometime. The Canadian students apply to US schools in case they aren't accepted to Canadian ones in the Spring, and if they are accepted, they drop their spots at US schools. But you'd have to research when that happens.

Hi Ivy, thanks so much for all the info here! I was wondering if I could pick your brain on a few topics and if you choose to you can elaborate on some of the points below.

1. Course load (is it a heavier course load than other schools?) - are students miserable? Are breaks long enough?
2. Student life (how are student orgs, social and community life?)
3. Why did you choose Rutgers (if you had other options what made you go with RDSM over others)
4. How does living in Newark work for you for time you don't spend on campus? (shopping, groceries, coffee shops...)
5. How is RDSM preparing for the Integrated boards in terms of curriculum have there been any changes employed?
6. How are the professors? What is the administrative atmosphere like, warm/cold? Is there any focus on student wellness?
7. How do the facilities compare to other schools in your opinion? Say bigger institutions like NYU or Tufts?
8. Did you find other dental students to live with? What was ur experience?

Thanks SO much for any advice you have.

1) Heavier, without a doubt. Do students handle it well? Depends on their ultimate goal. Are they just looking to get the degree? Most of them have no problem, enjoying life (though some do really struggle to pass). Are they gunning for straight A's? Most of them are suffering, sometimes really suffering, and many of them are totally miserable at some point. Yes, breaks seem long enough. With the exception of maybe D2 winter break, because we take boards on our own time. Most people take 2 weeks to study, so they only get 1 week of break. Some people needed 3 weeks, so they had a 3 or 4 day winter break.

2) Student organizations seem a very small part of the school. Honestly, we're too busy to put a lot of time into stuff like that. Social scene starts nice D1, then people hunker down, and by D2 not much is going on, then D3 things start to turn around a bit. Many students are married, living with family, etc., so they really don't want to be spending time with other dental students. Just how it is, but it's also class-dependent.

3) For me, and most people I know at school, because it was the cheapest option. So don't come thinking it will be easy competition - I know people who turned down Harvard, Columbia, Penn, UConn, and others and chose to attend Rutgers. 2nd most common reason was to stay close to something (spouse, working SO, family, kids' schools, etc.)

4) I have 3 grocery stores within walking distance, there are 3 other college campuses nearby, and a giant park. There are dollar stores, booze, and food trucks. There are 2 coffeeshops within a block or two. There's a small gym right across the street from campus. Newark has been great for me, but for others, it's lacking many amenities they're like to have (shopping, malls, night life, fully-stocked gyms, restaurants, safety for children, etc.)

5) That is being discussed heavily right now. Class of 2023 will be the first class at Rutgers to take integrated boards. It's something the school is really thinking about, and looking at curriculum and exam changes to make the transition work well.

6) Our "borrowed" professors from the medical school (for the general science courses) were generally disliked. Some were great, some were phenomenal. The others were somewhat ineffective - as in they didn't contribute much beyond just giving us the information in a powerpoint - but I've heard this is true at all schools. Looking back, I think we judged them too harshly, and they were just fine. It's just a frustrating year because a lot of stuff is non-dental and we all get sick of hearing "You need to learn this for boards". D2, when pretty much everything is dental and taught by dental faculty, things turn around for the better. Much less frustrating, with great professors. Administration is hands off day-to-day. From my perspective, very warm and always always open to helping and guidance. Student wellness has been a topic lately. We do have a student wellness program that offers sessions with a professional. But some students think we need more, and some see psych professionals outside school. Others don't use the service at all, so it's really student dependent - but it's there when you need it and generally students say great thing about it. Side note: Our student health is excellent.

7) Bigger isn't better. Bigger means more crowded, more mess, less organization. Class size is good at this school. All 4 student clinics will be brand new or renovated in the past couple years. Sim lab has everything you need. Library is good. Student spaces are fine. I'm not sure what you mean otherwise by facilities.

8) My first year, I found a mate via this site. D2, I used Facebook to contact the incoming D1s and word-of-mouth. If you're looking, I'd recommend word-of-mouth especially. My experience living with dental students has been perfect, and I'm very thankful things worked out this way. In general, we're hardly around, and if we are, we're probably sleeping. It's nothing like undergrad, and I'd 100% recommend it.

Reactions: 2 users
@Ivy.ch Wow! I cannot thank you enough this info is golden :bow::claps::bow::claps:
Sounds like you've been having a great time at Rutgers!

For incoming students any other words of advice or specific things that you think we ought to know?

@Ivy.ch Wow! I cannot thank you enough this info is golden :bow::claps::bow::claps:
Sounds like you've been having a great time at Rutgers!

For incoming students any other words of advice or specific things that you think we ought to know?

- Try to set up an apartment, sharing with other students. It's still too early, but once summer comes, you could start calling places and organizing with classmates via Facebook and SDN.
- You do not have to buy loupes from the vendors the school provides! Some people were able to purchase really cheap ones from online. One thing you'll miss out on: Reps from the vendors come around to the school once in a while for repairs. If I could go back, I think I would purchase loupes from online.
- The scrubs they sell are way too large. So if you aren't able to make it to the scribe fitting (and they still use Fundamentals), order down! I'm a guy of normal height and BMI, and I wear the XS pants w/ S top. Many ladies ended up purchasing more female-friendly scrubs online later on (just make sure the color matches).
- Get your eyes/glasses checked before school. Even better, get everything checked. Settle all your health issues now. Get into great shape before school starts.
- Don't buy a new laptop. You will be provided one from school.
- Relax. And learn how to relax. You'll need that skill.

- You do not have to buy loupes from the vendors the school provides! Some people were able to purchase really cheap ones from online. One thing you'll miss out on: Reps from the vendors come around to the school once in a while for repairs. If I could go back, I think I would purchase loupes from online.

Hey, what type of loupes would you recommend to get? Rutgers sent an email for the loupe fitting, and they said to get the 2.5x magnification. Yet almost everyone on the forums says to get 3.5x.
Also, what cheap/good loupe companies are there?

Keep hope guys, I just got in off the waitlist but declined. Best of luck!

anyone know if there are any spots open? or is the class full now?

I'm pretty sure UConn is cheaper than Rutgers 100% after 4 years, whether you're NJ or OOS. I don't think anyone would turn UConn down in favor of Rutgers because of "price".

Rutgers was cheaper, not anymore. So you are correct for incoming students.

Hey, what type of loupes would you recommend to get? Rutgers sent an email for the loupe fitting, and they said to get the 2.5x magnification. Yet almost everyone on the forums says to get 3.5x.
Also, what cheap/good loupe companies are there?
Most people in our class have either Orascoptic, design for vision, or surgitel 2.5x and they work well in preclinic. I know usually upperclassmen buy a second pair that is 3.5x or 4x in their d3 or d4 years.

Most people in our class have either Orascoptic, design for vision, or surgitel 2.5x and they work well in preclinic. I know usually upperclassmen buy a second pair that is 3.5x or 4x in their d3 or d4 years.
So then is it better to just get 3.5x mag loupes? I really don't want to have to buy two sets of loupes considering how expensive they are.

So then is it better to just get 3.5x mag loupes? I really don't want to have to buy two sets of loupes considering how expensive they are.

No one I know here has 3.5x - I'd suggest buying cheap 2.5x, then you can upgrade later in dental school if you really want to. 2.5x seems to get the job done for everyone during school.

Can a current student please comment on if RSDM approved an 11% tuition increase or not?

Can a current student please comment on if RSDM approved an 11% tuition increase or not?

For next year? That is false information. Board of Trustees decides on tuition increases in July. The tuition has not been set yet for next year. No one knows what the number will be for next year.

For next year? That is false information. Board of Trustees decides on tuition increases in July. The tuition has not been set yet for next year. No one knows what the number will be for next year.
Fair enough, thank you!

Does anyone know what the scrub color will be for the incoming class?

Status
Not open for further replies.