The OFFICIAL THREAD ~ OHIO STATE Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Katya00 said:
So, does anyone know what all is planned for us this week? I feel a little out of the loop, since almost all the info I've needed I've had to call about...very little emailing. For Wednesday, are we to go home and then come back for the ceremony? My family is all coming in, and I don't know what to tell them.

Also, are there events (besides the dinner on Thurs) planned? I've heard of some ppl doing bbq's or bowling, etc but nothing from OSU.

Also, do we need our textbooks by the end of this week, and will reading be assigned over the weekend for Monday? I hope not, I have more family coming over the weekend.

The time just flew by didn't it???
I emailed them about the time tomorrow afternoon, and they said we should have time to change at home since there is nothing scheduled after lunch at noon. However some people will be having their hospital ID photos being taken then. I'm going to leave my dress in the car just in case, but I really hope I don't have to change in a bathroom stall :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Katya00 said:
So, does anyone know what all is planned for us this week? I feel a little out of the loop, since almost all the info I've needed I've had to call about...very little emailing. For Wednesday, are we to go home and then come back for the ceremony? My family is all coming in, and I don't know what to tell them.

Also, are there events (besides the dinner on Thurs) planned? I've heard of some ppl doing bbq's or bowling, etc but nothing from OSU.

Also, do we need our textbooks by the end of this week, and will reading be assigned over the weekend for Monday? I hope not, I have more family coming over the weekend.

The time just flew by didn't it???

There are social events scheduled for all three nights. One is sponsored by student council, one by AMA-MSS, and one by AMSA. The social events are usually at a bar (sometimes they rent out a room) and have free food and drink specials.

Tomorrow (Wed): You will be free after lunch until the White Coat Ceremony, so you will have time to go home. The social event (if you choose to go) will probably not start until 8 or so, but you can go later if you want to dinner with your family. Last year, I went right when it started and nobody was there. A lot of people showed up later.

Thursday: There is an information fair in the afternoon - should wrap up fairly early (I'm thinking by 2). The faculty dinner is that evening (seems like I heard 7 - 9, but don't quote me on that). After that, will be another social event.

Friday: Will probably be your latest of the days, but still should be done by 2 or 3. There is a used book sale, computer set up, activity fair, and something else in the afternoon. Again, there will be a social event somewhere, probably starting at 9 or so.

Books - You will probably want to get your anatomy texts and packet on Friday afternoon. There is SO much assigned reading for anatomy that it would help you out a little bit to at least do monday's reading. You won't feel as lost in lecture on Monday if you have already done the reading. You certainly don't HAVE to do the reading and I don't think anybody expects you to spend your weekend studying. At the very least, though, I would try and look over the assigned reading in the Dissector so you have some idea of what you are doing in lab.

For people considering which parking pass to buy, the rumor on the street is that once the dirt lot near the medcenter is paved, they will discontinue the medcenter express route again.

Members don't see this ad :)
pyromatic said:
For people considering which parking pass to buy, the rumor on the street is that once the dirt lot near the medcenter is paved, they will discontinue the medcenter express route again.

Actually, they are going to continue the Med Center Express route until December because sometime in the next month they are going to close the 9th Avenue parking garage for renovation.

That being said, though, you should NOT buy a CXC pass (which is a cheaper pass that only allows parking in the Buckeye lot) because there won't be bussing from there all year. I recommend a C pass - which allows you to park in all "C" lots, the CXC lot and the WC (West Campus) lot. It also allows you to park in A and B spots in the evening and weekends. If you choose the WC pass (which is the cheapest pass), your only parking is the West Campus lot and a decent bus ride. I'm not sure what evening priveleges the WC pass allows.

It actually looks like the dirt lot will be done in the next week or so - they actually started paving it today. If they get it done, there should be reasonable parking there until the undergrads come back September 20th.

Emergency! said:
Actually, they are going to continue the Med Center Express route until December because sometime in the next month they are going to close the 9th Avenue parking garage for renovation.

uh oh ...thats not good. I bet a lot of the people who park in the garage are going to want to to park in the dirt lot...more competition...

hope you all enjoyed your first day

These are the txt books i purchased today, can anyone give advice on what else i'll need for the first few weeks:

-essential clinical anatomy
-lachman's case studies
-langman's medical embryology
-grant's dissector
-color txt of histology
-Nettle's Atlas

AlexSummers said:
These are the txt books i purchased today, can anyone give advice on what else i'll need for the first few weeks:

-essential clinical anatomy
-lachman's case studies
-langman's medical embryology
-grant's dissector
-color txt of histology
-Nettle's Atlas

I haven't heard of Nettle's, but I enjoy my Netter's atlas and thought it does a great job. There will be some group purchases for lab tables, like dissecting equiptment and the like, and you should probably find your gloves (be it latex or nitrile) somewhere else because the locations around the school are rediculously priced.

Oh, if anyone still needs Lachman's case studies, Langman's embryo, and Grant's dissector, I am willing to part with mine. Just send me a PM.

Shredder said:
When will we be using this one?

Soon. This year you are doing some histology during anatomy. I think thats why you aren't in the lab on monday.

But, and I'll preface this with the fact that our histology was the same professor at a totally different time of year (right after anatomy), I would not buy that book. Basically all the slides we needed to see were in his powerpoints.

My basic rule is that I dont buy any book or equipment until I know that we will actually use it. Most of the things they say to buy are not actually needed or are needed very sparingly. For ex. Lachmans, you probably do want to read it before each test, but, the total reading from it will probably take less than an hour per division (per test), so it would be totally reasonable to just use the copy at the library (closed reserve) for a quick read.

hey guys i am going to interview at osu in sept and was just wondering if you can give me any helpful hints........and what made you decide osu?

ps. also what are good hotels to stay in?(ie. cheap)

thanks all help appreciated..

For the second years, did you guys use Essential Cell Biology last year? I'm debating whether to buy it- it's really expensive and I already own one cell bio book. Do you know if the prof tests from the book or just lectures? Thanks!

FutureDrKt said:
For the second years, did you guys use Essential Cell Biology last year? I'm debating whether to buy it- it's really expensive and I already own one cell bio book. Do you know if the prof tests from the book or just lectures? Thanks!

I didnt use it. I think they recomended the full "Cell" for us though. Dr. Vandre's lectures seemed pretty complete.

All the bookstores were out of it, I had to rush order on Amazon. I think we're the first ones to use it since they changed up Histo on us. Histo looks cool, better than the other classes right now. PCM blehh

Members don't see this ad :)
Best of luck, Shredder buddy. Drop me a line if you ever come down this way, and I'll be sure to give you a call if I make it up into your neck of the woods any time soon. Enjoy the impending fun...

Hey everybody,
I was wondering how exactly exams work. Are we going to have anatomy, embryology, and histology all on one multiple choice exam, or are they broken up at all? Just want to be prepared...
Thanks!

I too was wondering but figured it would clear itself up eventually, somehow. Thurs is our last embryology for this block, thankfully. Why can't that guy post his ppts! In that comp orientation I remember they said like 30 min for Cell and 2 hr for anatomy--does that leave 0 embryo for this test? +30 min, man that's short

Somewhere in the plethora of info and sites they gave us this info might be lurking. Perhaps student handbook if I remember right. Is anatomy going to be computerized except for the practical portion? Thus, multi choice?

I too was wondering but figured it would clear itself up eventually, somehow. Thurs is our last embryology for this block, thankfully. Why can't that guy post his ppts! In that comp orientation I remember they said like 30 min for Cell and 2 hr for anatomy--does that leave 0 embryo for this test? +30 min, man that's short

Somewhere in the plethora of info and sites they gave us this info might be lurking. Perhaps student handbook if I remember right. Is anatomy going to be computerized except for the practical portion? Thus, multi choice?

I think they are computerizing your anatomy this year, which is a change. Last year embryo material was on the anatomy test.

Embryo hint:
Dr. Clark will give you some self quizzes just before the test so you can test yourself. Study them extensively as last year at least 1/2 of his questions came directly from the sample quizzes.

During anatomy and embryo they usually dont post the powerpoints. The explaination I heard for this is that they are paranoid about copyright issues and it is already a little questionable that they scan the Atlases and Langman's to use in the powerpoints. Since the end of anatomy, every powerpoint we've seen has been available to us.

Very few people stay the full amount of time available for any test. They always give us way more time than needed, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Usually for a test all of the subjects will be just mixed in togeather on the test. Sometimes they will seperate the test into a couple of sections. They do this because the computer system doesnt handle lots of pictures very well. So basically they will break something like histology slides down into a seperate, smaller test to keep the test file size smaller. For example in neuro we had a section of pictures where we had to ID structures that we took before taking the rest of the written questions. The only problem with this approach is that once you get done with the short part (picture based, usually about 12 questions) and move onto the remainder of the test (~100Qs) you cant go back and change your answers on the picture part. Not a huge deal, but a little disapointing if the written part makes you aware of a mistake you made on the picture part.

The testing software, unless they have upgraded it, works pretty well, but is clearly very old and has its share of problems.

I never really felt the need to have Dr. Clark's powerpoints posted. Most of what is in his powerpoints is in his coursepack. During lecture, I would just note what figure he referred to and write any additional info in the margins of the notes. Some of the slides in the anatomy powerpoints would have been useful to have, but if you asked Dr. D about them, he usually would post them.

My embryo hint - don't read the book. It's WAY more detailed than you need. Use it only to look at helpful figures and to look up any objectives that he doesn't cover in lecture or in his notes. For the first three tests, if you study the objectives, lecture notes and practice questions (agree with logos here - these are worth spending time on), you should be fine. The last test had some obscure questions, but I passed, and by that point, I didn't care about anything more than that.

Last year, the embryo questions were tacked on to the end of the anatomy questions. So - 50 or so anatomy questions and then the last 10 - 15 embryo questions. It wouldn't surprise me if they do histo as a separate 30 minute test since (for ISP at least) they are going to count that as a separate histo grade (and drop the ISP histo module).

Thanks guys, very helpful posts again. I'm looking forward to those Clark sample Qs since he doesn't include them in the course packet like Vandre. Maybe it's just as well to give them right before the test though. They said they are doing a separate 30 min histo test with like 25 Qs. Clark ppts would still be helpful to avoid having to note and look up all the figures. Good to know that my suspicions about the book's depth were not unfounded.

Anatomy multi choice seems pretty weird, I wonder how that will play out. As for Essential Cell Bio book, I bought it and all the others, but both it and the Color Txt of Histology are sitting idle since I think Vandre's course packet and slides are so thorough. I do think the workbook is valuable for practice though.

*Well I don't want to bump, but I want to say that prosection is the way to go. Dissection is much too inefficient, I'm surprised it has persisted. Personally I let my group members do everything while I rove.

Do other MSIs feel totally overwhelmed? I am also intimidated by the fact that everyone seems to know so much more than I do, although I am spending every moment studying. How many actually fail this first exam? Anyone else feel the same? Any advice from the 2nd year class? Is this going to get any better?

Do other MSIs feel totally overwhelmed? I am also intimidated by the fact that everyone seems to know so much more than I do, although I am spending every moment studying. How many actually fail this first exam? Anyone else feel the same? Any advice from the 2nd year class? Is this going to get any better?

CruiseLover-

Whether they will admit it or not, most of your classmates are also feeling overwhelmed. I think its normal to feel like everyone else knows more than you do. Sometimes, they do, sometimes they don't.

I don't know how many people fail the first exam, but some will. I didn't do so well on our first exam, so it was really disheartening to hear the average was ridiculously high. And, what's even more discouraging is that nobody wants to show weakness, so nobody else will admit that they are struggling as well.

It can take some time to figure out what you need to do to learn the information. After the first exam, I think you wil have a better sense of what you are doing right in your studies and what you need to improve on. You will also know what the exams will be like, and that will relieve some of the stress. Examine how you are spending your time . . . is your studying really productive studying? Like you, I spent a lot of time preparing for the exam. When I was really honest about what I was doing, though, my time was not productive. If you are spending a lot of time in lab - make sure you are actually LEARNING while you are in lab. I found myself dissecting things out and making them look pretty, but not really LEARNING anything. After the first test, I didn't spend any time in the lab outside of scheduled lab, and I did fine on the rest of the practicals by using online resources and atlases.

You'll be alright. Take a deep breath, relax, and do the best you can.

Yo, is there a Pathology interest group? Also, anyone acquainted with any MD/MBA students or ppl who plan to be?

Yo, is there a Pathology interest group? Also, anyone acquainted with any MD/MBA students or ppl who plan to be?

Yes, there is a Path Interest group. They will have various meetings throughout the year. Last year, they also put together an "Autopsy Field Trip" where students could sign up to go down and observe autopsies in the morgue. I'm sure they will have a meeting fairly soon. Dr. Hitchcock is their advisor, and if you are interested in doing some shadowing, he would probably be able to hook you up.

At some point later in the year, they will most likely have a meeting outlining the different dual degree programs. (They did last year). I'm not sure who's in charge of the MD/MBA program, but if you could track them down, they could probably give you the names of some students who are currently doing it.