The OFFICIAL THREAD ~ OHIO STATE Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OSU_DentGirl said:
New to SDN and got accepted at OSU :)

Congrats!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, another potential OSUer for next fall :) Does anyone know the grading system at OSU (like pass/fail etc)? Also, is the class really and truly unranked? Thanks!

FutureDrKt said:
Hi guys, another potential OSUer for next fall :) Does anyone know the grading system at OSU (like pass/fail etc)? Also, is the class really and truly unranked? Thanks!

It's more or less pass/fail. You can receive honors (approx. top 10% of class) or letters of commendation (next 15% of class). I'm not sure exactly how they award those though. I've heard they are awarded at the end of the year, and then I've also heard that you can earn honors or letters in individual blocks (i.e.) anatomy.

For the most part, I would say yes, its unranked. If you go into the office and ask what your class rank is, they won't tell you. I asked how dean's letters were done (since there is no rank) and was told that the letter explains that OSU is a non-ranking institution and gives your average on each test/module and the class average on each test module. I believe it also says what 1/4 of the class you are in. Hopefully, one of the med 4's can confirm that and give their impression of the "unranked" status of the class.

I don't feel that the environment is cutthroat or overly competitive. Obviously, its going to be competitive to some degree - we all want to do our best - but most of us are willing to help each other out. People often e-mail out resources that they have found to be helpful or charts/summaries they have made up to everybody in the class.

Congrats on your acceptance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi y'all. Amy asked to me weigh in, so I will. First off, today was my match day and I'm happy to announce that I matched at my first choice - UC San Diego! I'll be doing my neurology residency out there, but I'm planning on staying in Columbus for my prelim year. None of this really concerns you guys though, but it's put a huge smile on my face all day (strangers are giving me funny looks).

As far as the grading stuff - yes, it is strictly pass fail. Yes, the class is truly unranked (as far as the outside world goes - they do keep internal rankings which never get released to residency programs). You can get Honors and Letters of Commendation as well. Honors goes to the top 10%, Letters to the next 15%. It is very difficult to pull honors and many residency program directors are familiar with our grading and recognize that.

You receive a single grade for med 1 and another for med 2. That means your entire med 1 year will have as much weight (grade-wise) as a single third year rotation. Therefore, there's no real reason to bust yourself over not getting honors your first and second year. It also makes the class dynamic much nicer since you're not trying to outperform the person next to you. Grades aren't curved either. The atmosphere is far from cutthroat.

The curriculum during the third and fourth years will be changing next year, because the administration has responded to some of our feedback. The third year will have 6 8-week rotations: internal medicine, pediatrics, neuro/psych (4 weeks each), ambulatory, ob/gyn, and surgery. It'll break down like this:

Internal Medicine - 2 4-week rotations on an inpatient service at OSU or Riverside
Pediatrics - 2 4-week inpatient rotationsat Columbus Childrens Hospital, or 1 inpatient month + 1 outpatient month
Neuro - 4 weeks of inpatient neuro, neuro consults, or neurosurgery (OSU, CCH, RMH)
Psychiatry - 4 weeks of inpatient psych or consults at OSU or Twin Valley (state correctional facility - sounds like Arkham Asylum, but it looks more like a wal-mart)
Ambulatory - 1 month of family medicine and 1 month elective (any elective available at OSU or other local hospital)
OB/Gyn - 2 weeks benign gynecology, 2 weeks gyn-onc, 2 weeks l&d, 2 weeks procedures and clinical skills (you practice procedures in the new clinical skills lab). The L&D and clinical skills stuff will be mixed over the month (ie you'll be on l&d some days and in the skills lab the other days).
Surg - 1 month gen surg, 1 month sub-specialty (ortho, plastics, uro, etc)

In the fourth year there are 4 required rotations, 4 electives, and 3 months of vaca. The required rotations are referred to as DOC's (differentiation of care) rotations:

DOC-1: Emergency Medicine sub-internship
DOC-2: Outpatient Internal Medicine
DOC-3: Care of the chronically ill patient (ie, end-stage renal disease, diabetes, pm&r, geriatrics, etc)
DOC-5: Medical or Surgical sub-internship

I'm not going to go into the details of why the new curriculum is better than the one I'm finishing up. It just is, trust me. You have a lot more flexibility with the new curriculum than we did.

I hope this helps, I know it's almost impossible for you guys to think about stuff that's three years down the line, but you kind of have to.

Congratulations to those of you who've been admitted, and good luck to those of you who haven't heard yet!

Thank you so much, notjvarma! What exactly do people do during their 4th year electives? Is it just exploring residency options, or is there opportunity to go on medical mission trips in the US and abroad? I think I would really like to see medicine being practiced in other cultures during 4th year. Congratulations on your placement, that's awesome!

Hi FutureDrKt! Thanks!

Actually, there's now an office of international medicine to help students find rotations abroad. Tons and tons of people are doing international rotations in my class. A large group went to Swaziland between med1 and med2 years. There's a huge group going to Australia and New Zealand next week, a couple of people going to Italy, a group of 6 or 7 going to India later this year and a bunch of other people doing their own thing. I think my friend Doug takes the cake though. He bought a motorcycle and rode it to Guatemala. He's doing a month-long rotation in Guatemala, then a month in Panama, then a month in Costa Rica. He's taken April and May as vacation months and he's going to ride his bike back to Ohio. He's documenting his journey on his blog:
http://homepage.mac.com/doughaas Check it out.

I won't be doing any international rotations, but I've heard that money is very easy to get for such electives. There's also a group from my class who are riding their bicycles across the country to raise money for a charity called Partners in Health. Their campaign is called Ride 4 World Health. http://www.rideforworldhealth.org/ If they're riding through your town, go say hi! They're getting credit for their time spent biking too. It's incredible.

Honestly, if you're motivated enough to do something big, the school is incredibly supportive of the students and they'll help you however they can.

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the date that's published in the academic calendar for the start of M1 ( Aug 9) is when classes actually start or if it is when orientation is or ???

I'm trying to figure out when I actually need to be in Ohio

flyingjbird said:
Hi all,

Does anyone know if the date that's published in the academic calendar for the start of M1 ( Aug 9) is when classes actually start or if it is when orientation is or ???

I'm trying to figure out when I actually need to be in Ohio

Hey flyingjbird -

I'm pretty sure that Aug. 9 will be the first day of orientation. Orientation is 3 days. Med 2's first day is Aug. 14 and the actual first day of classes is the same for Med 1 and Med 2. Wow. :eek: We're starting a week earlier than we did last year!

Hey all...I am currently wrapping up my senior year of undergrad work here at OSU and am admitted into the Class of 2010. I got in in October. Just found this site.

I'm about 99% sure to go here, but I am also into Cincinnati. Anyways, people mentioned living previously in this thread...

I live at University Village Apartments on Olentangy River Road and this is my second year here. I live with two roommates in a three bedroom apartment. I pay about 300-315 per month for rent, utilities, and cable (internet and TV) combined. Not a bad deal at all. And I have the biggest room (so I'm paying a little more...the roommate with the smallest room pays ~280 per month). It's quiet (lots of grad students and Asians live here) and maintenance is lightning quick. The room was newly painted and carpeted when we moved in and there's a stove and full kitchen. A (free) UV shuttle bus goes to campus every 30 minutes during weekdays and every 15 minutes in the morning. One of the stops is the med school. So you don't NEED a car, especially since Krogers (grocery store chain) and Big Lots are walking distance. A 24 hour Mcdonald's too.

If I go here, I'm planning on living at UV for sure. Caution: single rooms and double rooms are more. Living with two other people in a three bedroom is the cheapest option.

Any other questions about OSU from an undergrad/entering medical student...feel free to post here or IM me.

Did anyone go to the 2nd look visit last year, and/or the Research Day? What did you see, and did you decide it worth the trip? I'm seriously considering going, but this is obviously a busy time!

ingamina said:
Did anyone go to the 2nd look visit last year, and/or the Research Day? What did you see, and did you decide it worth the trip? I'm seriously considering going, but this is obviously a busy time!

I second this question, and also: what did people wear? Did they bring their parents, or is this a solo thing?

Where do most students live? Is there a list of apartments where a lot of students live that we should look in to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Besides last year's thread, you guys can post here or PM me about housing. I am an OSU/Columbus vetern and know a decent amount about the different options.

Hi, I've been accepted at OSU, and will probably be going there in the fall. I'm excited, cause I thought OSU was awesome, and my top in-state choice. But money might be an issue, and I might get some scholarships elsewhere, so we'll see...

Can someone tell me some info though...I can't find this on the school website. When do classes start (the day I mean)...sometime in August I'm sure, but I can't find a set date, or even an approximate one. Also I was wondering, what time in the day do classes start, and how many hours do you spend in class? And, last, can spouses use the fitness centers? Some of the other schools I interviewed at offered this, but OSU didn't say, and since it was my first interview I never thought to ask.
Thanks a bunch! Hope to see lots of you this fall :)

Katya00 said:
Can someone tell me some info though...I can't find this on the school website. When do classes start (the day I mean)...sometime in August I'm sure, but I can't find a set date, or even an approximate one. Also I was wondering, what time in the day do classes start, and how many hours do you spend in class? And, last, can spouses use the fitness centers? Some of the other schools I interviewed at offered this, but OSU didn't say, and since it was my first interview I never thought to ask.
Thanks a bunch! Hope to see lots of you this fall :)

Hi Katy -

From what I can find, Orientation starts Wed, Aug. 9th, with classes starting on Monday, August 14th. They should be posting an orientation material link on your status page in the near future, so keep checking back there.

This year, classes start at either 8 or 8:30. Lecture is typically done by noon. One to three times per week (depending on the pathway you choose and the week) there are small group meetings in the afternoon for a couple of hours. During anatomy, we usually had lecture for an hour or two, and then went to lab. Typically, there are no classes the day before a test, as it is designated a study day. If you do independent study, your schedule is a little more flexible. Most weeks, I only have to come twice a week for either small group or lecture for our Patient Centered Medicine and Physician Development courses.

As far as the fitness centers, you can buy a membership for your spouse. According to their website, the fee for spouses is the same as for students. (which all students get billed - you don't get a choice about it). The current fee is $42 a quarter, rumored to be going up to $70 a quarter next year. This fee is billed to all OSU students. They really raised the fees when they built the new multimillion dollar rec center. On the plus side, the new center really rocks and is truly impressive, but if you're like me and don't use it much (or at all), it bites to be paying so much a quarter for something you don't use. In addition to the RPAC, there are numerous other small facilities around campus that you can use. See the website here.

Congrats -
Amy

Can any current Ohio Staters give us the scoop on second look day? What do people normally wear? Also, do parents come along or is this a solo activity? Any other helpful advice.
Thanks!

So I've been checking out housing stuff on Craig's list lately just to get a feel for prices and options (a welcome change from Seattle's overpriced housing, let me tell you) but I really don't have a feel for neighborhoods. My daughter will be attending school within the next couple years and everyone on interview day said that the good schools were outside Columbus itself. Does this mean Dublin, Hillier, etc? Are these neighborhoods, separate cities or what? Are there any natives that can give me a sense of what the various areas are like (personality, cool stuff, etc)? Oh, and traffic--is there anywhere were the commutes are just too awful to consider?
Thanks~

Hi all!
Are there any future female M1s out there who are looking for a roommate? I've been looking at housing and it seems like two bedroom apartments close to the medical center are much more affordable than one bedrooms. It's always good to make plans early and it never hurts to have a friend when you move to a strange place!

PM me if you're interested!

olydoc2b said:
So I've been checking out housing stuff on Craig's list lately just to get a feel for prices and options (a welcome change from Seattle's overpriced housing, let me tell you) but I really don't have a feel for neighborhoods. My daughter will be attending school within the next couple years and everyone on interview day said that the good schools were outside Columbus itself. Does this mean Dublin, Hillier, etc? Are these neighborhoods, separate cities or what? Are there any natives that can give me a sense of what the various areas are like (personality, cool stuff, etc)? Oh, and traffic--is there anywhere were the commutes are just too awful to consider?
Thanks~

I would probably start with Dublin, Upper Arlington, Hilliard and Worthington. All of them are on the west of Columbus, which keeps you from having to commute in from the east side (which requires going through downtown and is probably the one of the worst commutes in the Columbus area, although coming down from Delaware is kind of evil, too). I'm not sure if all of them are technically their own cities, but they do have their own (very good) school systems. There is no distinct separation between Columbus and most of these suburbs. If you want to look on the east side, Bexley and Gahanna are out that way, and you also have Powell up to the north. Some of these suburbs are VERY pricey, but some areas of them might be reasonable

Hope this helps!

DoctorMoLLY said:
Hi all!
Are there any future female M1s out there who are looking for a roommate? I've been looking at housing and it seems like two bedroom apartments close to the medical center are much more affordable than one bedrooms. It's always good to make plans early and it never hurts to have a friend when you move to a strange place!

PM me if you're interested!

OSU does a roommate match - I believe they send stuff out in April. I know several people who did the match, and all seem to be very happy. I have heard of a number of people who did the match who ended up living together all four years. There isn't really any lack of apartments in Columbus. They are gearing up for next year in undergrad land, but I'm sure the landlords that cater more to the grad/professional students aren't planning to lease stuff out until later in the year. Also - if you are able to come to second look day, that might be a good opportunity to meet some potential roommates!

AmyBEMT said:
I would probably start with Dublin, Upper Arlington, Hilliard and Worthington. All of them are on the west of Columbus, which keeps you from having to commute in from the east side (which requires going through downtown and is probably the one of the worst commutes in the Columbus area, although coming down from Delaware is kind of evil, too). I'm not sure if all of them are technically their own cities, but they do have their own (very good) school systems. There is no distinct separation between Columbus and most of these suburbs. If you want to look on the east side, Bexley and Gahanna are out that way, and you also have Powell up to the north. Some of these suburbs are VERY pricey, but some areas of them

Hope this helps!

Thank you! Exactly the sort of info I was looking for!

Hey guys. Wondering if any of you are rock climbers. I am so excited that OSU has a climbing gym as part of its athletic facilities! The closest one to me now is 45 minutes away and costs $15 each time I go. It will be so sweet to be able to go any time I want for free!! Hoping that I will find some other med students that climb so I can have a climbing partner or two.

Go Bucks! :love:

I know there are med students interested in rock climbing and I've seen at least one email inviting people to go out climbing in Hocking Hills. I think there's some rock climbing to be done at John Bryan State Park (closer to Dayton). Whatever you're interested in, you should be able to find some other people in the COM who'll join you! I know lots of people work out at the ARC too, so finding other people to climb with you there shouldn't be a problem.

Welcome to Ohio State!

notjvarma said:
I know there are med students interested in rock climbing and I've seen at least one email inviting people to go out climbing in Hocking Hills. I think there's some rock climbing to be done at John Bryan State Park (closer to Dayton). Whatever you're interested in, you should be able to find some other people in the COM who'll join you! I know lots of people work out at the ARC too, so finding other people to climb with you there shouldn't be a problem.

Definitely. I have several classmates that are always looking for someone to go climbing with them. There is another classmate that is into outdoors type stuff and is always looking for people to go climbing, hiking, or mountain biking with him at one of the nearby state parks. There is also the well attending rafting trip to WV in the fall and ski trip to PA in January. Weekly games of soccer and basketball are to be found with other med students, and I know some other people who were trying to put together intermural teams for some other sports.

Amy
(formerly known as AmyBEMT)

I just received an e-mail regarding 2nd look day. Do perspective students usually bring a guest? Is a parent appropriate to bring? What happened last year?

CruiseLover said:
I just received an e-mail regarding 2nd look day. Do perspective students usually bring a guest? Is a parent appropriate to bring? What happened last year?

I asked in the admissions office today. It is acceptable to bring a spouse/significant other or parents. Several people did so last year. Dress is casual. You should get a follow up with more info in the near future. Hope to see you April 1!

Okay, so back to the housing question. I know elsewhere on these boards there was some housing talk about nice places to live and, well, not so nice places to live. I'm having a hard time determining what is and is not a "good deal." I just talked to a landlord of a 3 br townhouse for only 600 a month that looks okay by the pics. It's about a mile from campus and is a block or so east of high street. Is this a disaster waiting to happen? I can't afford to fly over, so I'm doing this pretty much sight unseen. We would really like to get an inexpensive place in the hopes of saving up for a downpayment to buy next year, but I'm only willing to compromise to a point.... Everything in Columbus seems to be A LOT cheaper than Seattle, but can anyone give me a sense of what reasonable prices are for not luxury but not ghetto housing?
:confused:

olydoc2b said:
Okay, so back to the housing question. I know elsewhere on these boards there was some housing talk about nice places to live and, well, not so nice places to live. I'm having a hard time determining what is and is not a "good deal." I just talked to a landlord of a 3 br townhouse for only 600 a month that looks okay by the pics. It's about a mile from campus and is a block or so east of high street. Is this a disaster waiting to happen? I can't afford to fly over, so I'm doing this pretty much sight unseen. We would really like to get an inexpensive place in the hopes of saving up for a downpayment to buy next year, but I'm only willing to compromise to a point.... Everything in Columbus seems to be A LOT cheaper than Seattle, but can anyone give me a sense of what reasonable prices are for not luxury but not ghetto housing?
:confused:

What's the address?

My recommendation would be to stay WEST of High Street. If you want to be withing a reasonable walking distance, I'd say to find something close to Neil Avenue, north of 5th Avenue.

The medical campus is squeezed between Neil Avenue to the east, Cannon Drive to the west, 12th Ave to the north and 9th ave to the south. Meiling Hall and Graves Hall (where your classes will be) are both on 9th Avenue.

I second the west of High Street. East of High Street has two neighborhoods - undergraduate housing and ghetto. If you're not set on being w/in walking distance of campus, you can find a place in an area much less prone to break ins (vehicle and apt).

Hey, do you think we're gonna get to stay with current OSU students during the 2nd-look weekend, so we can get some inside info on what OSU is really like and all? From the email, it looks like 2nd-look weekend is actually only a day long...

Ithilia said:
Hey guys. Wondering if any of you are rock climbers. I am so excited that OSU has a climbing gym as part of its athletic facilities! The closest one to me now is 45 minutes away and costs $15 each time I go. It will be so sweet to be able to go any time I want for free!! Hoping that I will find some other med students that climb so I can have a climbing partner or two.

There is some dude constantly abusing our email listserv to look for partners to go rockclimb/mountain bike a zillion miles in the cold/ walk some ungodly distance in the woods/climb mt. everest/ otherwise endure various forms of torture. I dont know if he ever gets responses, but from the volume of his emails, there definately is at least one person actively looking for a rock climbing buddy. I also know one dude from undergrad who will be in your class that likes to climb at the indoor facility.

Hello!

I'll be at the second look day for OSU, along with a couple of other guys from my school. Looking forward to seeing a lot of you there!

Peace.

Does anyone know if OSU has any merit scholarships? When are they offered and what kind of scores do you need to receive one?

Question: If you get deferred, does OSU ask you to send in final transcripts or ask you what you've been doing or is it up to you to send them letters of intent, info, etc?

Thanks!! :)

crys20 said:
Question: If you get deferred, does OSU ask you to send in final transcripts or ask you what you've been doing or is it up to you to send them letters of intent, info, etc?

No - they don't. They only ask for final transcripts if you are accepted. I chose NOT to send in my updated transcripts until after I was accepted because of a C I got fall quarter (pathetic, I know). I also didn't send in a LOI.

CruiseLover said:
Does anyone know if OSU has any merit scholarships? When are they offered and what kind of scores do you need to receive one?

Yes, they do have several pretty substantial scholarships (as in $10,000 - $15,000 per year x all 4 years). Some of them are based on grades, MCAT's, etc. Others, nobody seems to know exactly what they are based on - a nice personal statement and picture maybe? ;) I don't know when they initially offer them. I know a couple of people who were offered the scholarships in June after being accepted off of the deferred list. So - I don't know if they don't award any until June, or if those ones were awarded after somebody who initially was offered it decided to go elsewhere.

OSU started a new initiative this year to increase the amount of scholarship dollars available with the ideal goal that every medical student will get at least a small scholarship. If getting a scholarship or not is going to affect your decision on whether to go to OSU or not, I would call the admissions office and ask if there is any timeline on them being awarded.

Hey guys,

I interviewed at OSU and am currently deferred. I really really would love to go to OSU, so I am thinking that I should write an LOI. I guess a few of you didn't though, and I was wondering what you would recommend. Thanks a lot and hope to join you!

kanman75 said:
Hey guys,

I interviewed at OSU and am currently deferred. I really really would love to go to OSU, so I am thinking that I should write an LOI. I guess a few of you didn't though, and I was wondering what you would recommend. Thanks a lot and hope to join you!

I doubt that it helps, but it certainly can't hurt. Keep the faith! The deferred list will move fast and furious after May 15th. :luck:

How long was it post-interview for you guys before your status page changed? Just wondering how close they stuck to their "10 business day" policy.

crys20 said:
How long was it post-interview for you guys before your status page changed? Just wondering how close they stuck to their "10 business day" policy.

Mine was literally 10 business days- I interviewed ona Monday and got the email 2 Mondays later, which meant the status page changed Tuesday. It's a somewhat strange system, since they make their decisions right after the interviews.

I interviewed on the 17th and heard back by the 2nd of the next month. A little more than 10 days. Good luck!

hey, good luck to everyone still waiting! :) Anyone else excited about revisiting the school and looking for places to live?

I'm thinking about South Campus Gateway Apts. It's kinda expensive, but since it's practically brand-new and seems to be in an ideal location, I figure it's worth it. Perhaps it'll be more worth it if I get a roommate and we can split the cost.

Do any current OSU students have opinions (both good and bad) of this place, both the apartment itself and the location? It seems there are a lot of shops and restaurants nearby, which is cool, but I'm worried about it being excessively noisy.

Anyway, website is here:
http://www.southcampusapts.com/

Do you think there'll still be spaces available in late May?

funshine said:
hey, good luck to everyone still waiting! :) Anyone else excited about revisiting the school and looking for places to live?

I'm thinking about South Campus Gateway Apts. It's kinda expensive, but since it's practically brand-new and seems to be in an ideal location, I figure it's worth it. Perhaps it'll be more worth it if I get a roommate and we can split the cost.

Do any current OSU students have opinions (both good and bad) of this place, both the apartment itself and the location? It seems there are a lot of shops and restaurants nearby, which is cool, but I'm worried about it being excessively noisy.

Anyway, website is here:
http://www.southcampusapts.com/

Do you think there'll still be spaces available in late May?

Hey funshine,

I currently live in SCG with a roommate (another current Med I), and will be doing so again next year. So, obviously, I enjoy living here. The apartments are very nice, and being close to campus (it's approximately a 10-15 minute walk) is an invaluable convenience. The shops nearby are nice for quick bites to eat, and there will be some kind of grocery store opening this summer as well.

Having a roommate to split costs with definitely helps. It is still pricier than most places you can get, but I think it's worth it. As far as noise is concerned, it will not be a problem as long as you get an apartment that does not face High Street. I've been in apartment that faces High St. late at night, and it can be annoyingly loud and bright (there is a traffic light close by, it is a relatively busy street, and there are a couple of bars that have opened near the complex). Inside the building, it is almost always quiet. It is right next to the law school, so the majority of the residents are law students, with other graduate/professional students mixed in here and there. I think my roommate and I make the most noise, at least on our floor. :laugh:

If you are interested, I would call them ASAP about available apartments. Let me know if you have any more questions. Good luck!

Ithilia said:

I go climbing once or twice a week with a few other Med Is. My roommate is the one who introduced me to rock wall climbing and he is really into it - so you definitely won't be alone in your climbing endeavors.

Thanks, shiraz! Haha, it was your post about SCG in the Class of 2009 thread that caused me to look the place up yesterday. Anyway, glad to hear you are enjoying it! But...do a lot of other med students live there? Is there any one place where the med students tend to congregate housing-wise, or is everyone pretty much scattered around campus and the nearby area?

shiraz84 said:
Hey funshine,

I currently live in SCG with a roommate (another current Med I), and will be doing so again next year. So, obviously, I enjoy living here. The apartments are very nice, and being close to campus (it's approximately a 10-15 minute walk) is an invaluable convenience. The shops nearby are nice for quick bites to eat, and there will be some kind of grocery store opening this summer as well.

Having a roommate to split costs with definitely helps. It is still pricier than most places you can get, but I think it's worth it. As far as noise is concerned, it will not be a problem as long as you get an apartment that does not face High Street. I've been in apartment that faces High St. late at night, and it can be annoyingly loud and bright (there is a traffic light close by, it is a relatively busy street, and there are a couple of bars that have opened near the complex). Inside the building, it is almost always quiet. It is right next to the law school, so the majority of the residents are law students, with other graduate/professional students mixed in here and there. I think my roommate and I make the most noise, at least on our floor. :laugh:

If you are interested, I would call them ASAP about available apartments. Let me know if you have any more questions. Good luck!

funshine said:
Is there any one place where the med students tend to congregate housing-wise, or is everyone pretty much scattered around campus and the nearby area?

A lot of med students tend to live in the Victorian Village area, but I don't know that there is any one area/complex that is predominantly med students. People live all over the place. For those who DON'T want to fork out the $$$ for the Gateway, make sure when you are looking at housing to ask if the area is predominantly undergrad or graduate students. A few of my friends who live in undergrad areas really dislike it and plan on moving next year.

On another note - I inquired about student hosts for Second Look Day. They will try and match you up with a host.

From one of our student coordinators "Have them send their request to [email protected] and if it isn't obvious, get them to list their gender. Also, having their university name is good in case we can find someone from their alumni that can host (definitely not a guarantee, but occasionally happens)."

Emergency! said:
A lot of med students tend to live in the Victorian Village area, but I don't know that there is any one area/complex that is predominantly med students. People live all over the place. For those who DON'T want to fork out the $$$ for the Gateway, make sure when you are looking at housing to ask if the area is predominantly undergrad or graduate students. A few of my friends who live in undergrad areas really dislike it and plan on moving next year.

On another note - I inquired about student hosts for Second Look Day. They will try and match you up with a host.

From one of our student coordinators "Have them send their request to [email protected] and if it isn't obvious, get them to list their gender. Also, having their university name is good in case we can find someone from their alumni that can host (definitely not a guarantee, but occasionally happens)."

thanks! yeah, I just realized that gateway apartments are unfurnished and I'll probably be spending a lot more on furniture. Any good places nearby to get desks and beds and sofas?

I'll keep Victorian Village in mind. What are some of the nicer apartments there and are they going to be cheaper than Gateway? Is Victorian village within walking distance? Can I survive 1st year without a car? OK, I'll save the rest of my questions for revist weekend! :)

I lived in Victorian Village for a year in undergrad. It is mainly smaller, not big apartment complexes, but there are some. It is a nice area, slightly predominantly gay, close to campus but I always found it was a bit too far to walk every day unless it was nice out and I had time and not a ton of books to haul (like 10 minute walk at least), but close enough where I felt lazy driving. :) It will def. be cheaper than Gateway though. I had a 1 BR in a small, older building for $400/mo, it was fine the only problem was it was older...Lots of cool buildings with neat architecture..I'm more a fan of new buildings but def. some very cute places in Victorian Village, I lived alone for a year and never had any crime problems...Also there is a nice Giant Eagle and a couple other stores down there past Neil & 1st which is very conveinent. Def. an area to check out.

Value City Furniture I feel is really reasonable for the quality...There is one in Dublin, I'm not sure elsewhere but they deliver and setup for $79 no matter how much you buy.

crys20 said:
I lived in Victorian Village for a year in undergrad. It is mainly smaller, not big apartment complexes, but there are some. It is a nice area, slightly predominantly gay, close to campus but I always found it was a bit too far to walk every day unless it was nice out and I had time and not a ton of books to haul (like 10 minute walk at least), but close enough where I felt lazy driving. :) It will def. be cheaper than Gateway though. I had a 1 BR in a small, older building for $400/mo, it was fine the only problem was it was older...Lots of cool buildings with neat architecture..I'm more a fan of new buildings but def. some very cute places in Victorian Village, I lived alone for a year and never had any crime problems...Also there is a nice Giant Eagle and a couple other stores down there past Neil & 1st which is very conveinent. Def. an area to check out.

Value City Furniture I feel is really reasonable for the quality...There is one in Dublin, I'm not sure elsewhere but they deliver and setup for $79 no matter how much you buy.

thanks, crys20 (and everyone else) for your input on housing. I can't wait to actually visit Columbus and start looking around :).

Yeah, I'm thinking Vic. Village looks like a great area, but it's hard to find bigger places there (I need a three br at least). Thanks to everyone for all the input!