The OFFICIAL THREAD ~ OHIO STATE Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard about financial aid or scholarships yet? I thought they'd be here by now. . .

Members don't see this ad.

peetie said:
Has anyone heard about financial aid or scholarships yet? I thought they'd be here by now. . .

Not me. I really hope it gets to my house this week so I can go over it while I'm home for Easter...

2 weeks ago, I asked Sam Matheny in Financial Aid, he said expect the award letters in mid-april...

It's mid-april!! :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
IAMS said:
2 weeks ago, I asked Sam Matheny in Financial Aid, he said expect the award letters in mid-april...

It's mid-april!! :cool:

At second look, they said the letters were being printed and sent out last week. Maybe they got behind, it is a huge class.

FutureDrKt said:
At second look,

So I really wanted to go to the second look bit, but didn't due to money and already being ca. 99% sure I'm headed to OSU this Fall. Was there anything I really missed out on (like the raffle for the 259 step 1 score), or was it just a feel-good recruiting day?

I just go this awesome letter from OSU telling me I'm going to be on the waitlist, and asking for my confirmation! :p Ha ha, sucks, but I got my fingers crossed.

peetie said:
So I really wanted to go to the second look bit, but didn't due to money and already being ca. 99% sure I'm headed to OSU this Fall. Was there anything I really missed out on (like the raffle for the 259 step 1 score), or was it just a feel-good recruiting day?

Hmm.. Well I thought it was really enjoyable, but I can't say there was anything mind-blowing. We had presentations about the pathways, good coffee, a student panel that answered questions, a buffet lunch, and a tour. The tour was definitely the highlight- they took us to the AMAZING gym that is really close to the med school, and we got to play with the toys in the simulations lab. All of the prospective students seemed really nice, as did everyone from the administration. I was unsure about OSU before I went, but I'm sold now- hopefully I'll see you in August!

My award letter showed up this morning on the financial aid staus page. You need your user name/password to access it though.

Go here: http://sfa.osu.edu/
then go to "My status"

I hope everyone has better luck than me! :thumbdown:

Did anyone get a Perkins Loan, or have they not been awarded yet? I didn't get one on my award, so I'm not sure which... :confused: - And the guide says notification will be by email when they are available.

DoctorMoLLY said:
My award letter showed up this morning on the financial aid staus page. You need your user name/password to access it though.

Go here: http://sfa.osu.edu/
then go to "My status"

I hope everyone has better luck than me! :thumbdown:

AAAAAARGH! Maybe I'll be somewhere else! 59K!! I don't know. That is just a butt-load. (Can you tell I'm a science major with my quantitative measurement there?)

Can you guys enlighten me? How'd you get that username and password? Are you OSU undergrad students as well?

No, I signed up for a new account - there are instructions on how to sign up for a user name and password on the page - it took about 30 minutes for the system to update before I could log on and get my info.

peetie said:
AAAAAARGH! Maybe I'll be somewhere else! 59K!! I don't know. That is just a butt-load. (Can you tell I'm a science major with my quantitative measurement there?)

Sorry to hear that your financial offer was not more favorable, peetie. It looks like you would be coming to OSU from outside Ohio. It may be helpful to remember that almost the entire class is designated an Ohio resident and thus receives in-state tuition for years 2 - 4. As an Ohio resident I am not sure of the procedure, but I think as long as you get an Ohio driver's license, register to vote here, etc., it is virtually guaranteed you will achieve residency for the second year.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi everyone, i'm new to this forum (didn't realize it could be so helpful) but i'm 99.9% sure i'm attending osu next year. i'm from out-of-state and also noticed not too many out-of-staters at second look day. current med students--i won't be the only non-resident right (besides olydoc)??

also, i'm trying to look for a one-bedroom apt of comparable quality to the meridian. what do people think of the canterbury, runaway bay, marble cliff, and any of the university village complexes (stadium view, somerset, kenny road, and tivoli)? what about the colony club or the quarry? do students live in these complexes and will it be annoying to have to drive to class your first 2 years for those ones further away? i was pretty impressed by the meridian in terms of location and quality but have heard several negative things about it (safety, management). what do people think? help!

ultimatekooda said:
hi everyone, i'm new to this forum (didn't realize it could be so helpful) but i'm 99.9% sure i'm attending osu next year. i'm from out-of-state and also noticed not too many out-of-staters at second look day. current med students--i won't be the only non-resident right (besides olydoc)??

also, i'm trying to look for a one-bedroom apt of comparable quality to the meridian. what do people think of the canterbury, runaway bay, marble cliff, and any of the university village complexes (stadium view, somerset, kenny road, and tivoli)? what about the colony club or the quarry? do students live in these complexes and will it be annoying to have to drive to class your first 2 years for those ones further away? i was pretty impressed by the meridian in terms of location and quality but have heard several negative things about it (safety, management). what do people think? help!

Welcome to the thread! I can't answer any of your questions as a lowly pre-M1, but there are lots of nice current students who I'm sure would be glad to help.

ultimatekooda said:

You definitely won't be the only out-of-stater. About 30% of the class is out-of-state.

As for housing - I think University Village caters predominantly to undergrads. There hasn't been a lot of discussion on here about most of the ones above, but if you browse through the thread there has been some discussion on general areas that are good to live in. If you dig up last year's thread, I think there were some comments on a couple of those places (meridian and the quarry). You can also contact the admissions office - they sent out a housing survey to current students a few weeks ago - I'm not sure if they were planning on compiling it or just having that info handy for new students to check out.

Driving in Columbus isn't that bad. There is lots of very decent housing within a 10 - 15 minute drive of the medical campus, which may be worth it to you to find a nicer place or a place that is less "undergraduate". I know a few students who drive that far every day and they don't seem to find it too bad. (I drive 45 minutes).

ultimatekooda said:

I just checked out a bunch of those places a couple weeks ago. University Village had small apartments for the cost compared to others. Plus, like the previous post said, you would have to deal with undergrads. Colony Club was nice and pretty close to campus, but I think the rent started going up a lot if you want newer carpet, cabinets, and appliances (I think it was about $15-20 for each per month). And they had a flat rate for some utilities (maybe gas and water - I forget which) that seemed really high. The Quarry looks really nice, but I think it's expensive (starting at $700/750 for a 1 bedroom) I liked Runaway Bay. It's about 5 minutes away (really close to the 670 entrance, which takes you right to 315) and they give a 5% discount to OSU students.

ultimatekooda said:

I'm an out-of-stater who will be at OSU, although not by much since I am from Michigan. When I was down for Second Look Day, I looked at a ton of apartments and ended up signing a lease at Runaway Bay.

From your list, I also looked at Meridian and Quarry. Meridian was nice, but a bit too expensive for what you get and I think there is a train line nearby , which would have freaked my dog out. And aside from directly inside the complex, which looked attractive and well-maintained, it isn't the area I would really want to live in. Quarry was impressive. The rooms were big, everything is new and the area is pleasant. Some of the details depend on which phase of the complex you are in (the newest phase uses electric instead of gas heating, which is a plus given the ever-increasing price of natural gas). But, it was just as expensive as Meridian ($1000 and up for 2 bedroom) and a lot of the extra costs (workout facilities, movie theater, etc.) were for things I would rarely ever use (especially w/ the crazy-nice athletic facilities on campus) so I couldn't justify the price.

Runaway Bay is right across 5th ave. from Quarry but it is much cheaper. I got a 2-bedroom w/ 1000sqft for $700. They aren't as new as Quarry (built in the 80's as opposed to the past 5-10yrs) but they looked good to me. The grounds look well-maintained and there is a gated entry. The drive to campus will probably take 10-15 minutes when you factor in traffic, so it shouldn't be too bad. In the end, I thought it was the best compromise.

Tbuiumich said:
I'm an out-of-stater who will be at OSU, although not by much since I am from Michigan. When I was down for Second Look Day, I looked at a ton of apartments and ended up signing a lease at Runaway Bay.

From your list, I also looked at Meridian and Quarry. Meridian was nice, but a bit too expensive for what you get and I think there is a train line nearby , which would have freaked my dog out. And aside from directly inside the complex, which looked attractive and well-maintained, it isn't the area I would really want to live in. Quarry was impressive. The rooms were big, everything is new and the area is pleasant. Some of the details depend on which phase of the complex you are in (the newest phase uses electric instead of gas heating, which is a plus given the ever-increasing price of natural gas). But, it was just as expensive as Meridian ($1000 and up for 2 bedroom) and a lot of the extra costs (workout facilities, movie theater, etc.) were for things I would rarely ever use (especially w/ the crazy-nice athletic facilities on campus) so I couldn't justify the price.

Runaway Bay is right across 5th ave. from Quarry but it is much cheaper. I got a 2-bedroom w/ 1000sqft for $700. They aren't as new as Quarry (built in the 80's as opposed to the past 5-10yrs) but they looked good to me. The grounds look well-maintained and there is a gated entry. The drive to campus will probably take 10-15 minutes when you factor in traffic, so it shouldn't be too bad. In the end, I thought it was the best compromise.

Thanks so much for all your info, guys. Tbuiumich, did you look at the Canterbury, Fox and Hounds, or Governour's Square? Those are all northwest of the campus and I'm wondering what people think of that area vs the area that Runaway Bay and the Quarry are located. Nicer/more convenient/more stuff around/not really a big difference? What about ones located in Victorian Village, like Thurber Manor and Sonnenblick?

ultimatekooda said:
Tbuiumich, did you look at the Canterbury, Fox and Hounds, or Governour's Square? ... What about ones located in Victorian Village, like Thurber Manor and Sonnenblick?

I looked at some of the apartments in Victorian Village (Thurber Manor, Sonnenblick and Alexandria Colony) and generally wasn't impressed. All of the complexes I visited in that area are old (60's, 70's), which brings up all sorts of variables (heat efficiency, flaky electrical systems, shower pressure in the morning, non-standardized appliances, more likely to need maintenance, etc.). Also, I thought that the interiors of those apartments were pretty dark (small windows, dark carpet). They were definitely cheaper than Meridian and Quarry, but about the same or more expensive than Runaway Bay.

The location was definitely a plus though. Goodale Park is right around the corner, which would be a good place to throw the frisbee or generally just relax. Also, they are only a couple blocks from High St. and the Short North area which has a lot of interesting shops and restaurants. The only drawback I could foresee about the location is that the freeway is nearby, so there might be noise from all the traffic.

I didn't see any of the apartments northwest of campus. I had an appointment to see Fox & Hound but I ended up canceling it because I liked Runaway Bay so much and from what I saw on the internet, Fox & Hound had smaller apartments. I have heard that the Upper Arlington area is a nice place to live though.

One thing that I forgot to mention about Runaway Bay and Quarry is that they kind of feel like they are out in the middle of nowhere. Distance-wise, it isn't far from everything (no more a couple miles) but there definitely isn't a lot of stuff right around the corner. The Upper Arlington area looks more densely populated on the satellite, but it all depends on what you prefer.

ultimatekooda said:
Thanks so much for all your info, guys. Tbuiumich, did you look at the Canterbury, Fox and Hounds, or Governour's Square? Those are all northwest of the campus and I'm wondering what people think of that area vs the area that Runaway Bay and the Quarry are located. Nicer/more convenient/more stuff around/not really a big difference? What about ones located in Victorian Village, like Thurber Manor and Sonnenblick?

I visited Fox and Hounds too. The apartments were ok, but they were smaller than Runaway Bay and more expensive. Plus I got a really creepy hyper-salesman vibe from the people I spoke with there. Although they completely avoided my question about how many grad students live there, I got the impression not too many students live there. (Their answer: Our community is very diverse). They really tried to push me to complete an application and put a deposit down on the day I visited and they called me two days later to ask me again even though I kept refusing to sign anything.

Governour's Square looked similar to Fox and Hounds (it's across the street) although I had heard bad things about it so I didn't bother taking a tour.

I don't think the NW area is very different than the Quarry/Runaway Bay area. Both are close to lots of shops and OSU. I think the NW area had more apartment/condo complexes right next to each other as opposed to the Quarry and Runaway Bay area that was less densly populated and more spread out.

Hey guys... Not meaning to avert the housing talk, but Buckeye football tickets must be ordered by April 30 for students and you are allowed to order them in groups. So I thought it would be a good idea to try to organize a group of med students to sit together for the home games. If you are interested, send me a PM through this site or shoot me a quick email at my brand-new OSU email address... [email protected] Let me know your email address in your message too and then I'll look into the logistics of how it all works and set it up--it'll make for a good way to procrastinate while studying for my finals too. I figure Saturday afternoon tailgating, cornhole (non-Ohioans... you'll learn soon enough), and a football game is always a good way to get to know classmates better. Thanks, and Go Bucks

-Steve

Hey Steve -

Are you a current OSU student? Current students need to order by the end of April. However, the ordering period for new OSU students is in June. According to the FAQ's , new students can join a seating group in June that other students set up for the April ordering period.

Anyways - be looking ahead to ordering your tickets! They are kind of expensive, but I guarantee that you will have no trouble getting rid of them if you are unable to go to a game. I think I've gotten at least four e-mails just this week from Med 4's who would like to "purchase" people's season tickets. Married students can purchase two tickets.

Emergency! said:
Hey Steve -

Are you a current OSU student? Current students need to order by the end of April. However, the ordering period for new OSU students is in June. According to the FAQ's , new students can join a seating group in June that other students set up for the April ordering period.

Anyways - be looking ahead to ordering your tickets! They are kind of expensive, but I guarantee that you will have no trouble getting rid of them if you are unable to go to a game. I think I've gotten at least four e-mails just this week from Med 4's who would like to "purchase" people's season tickets. Married students can purchase two tickets.

Emergency,

I'm actually a student at Vanderbilt, so I guess that would qualify me as a new OSU student for the fall. Do you know if that means that the ticket group must be established by April and then new members can join by June? If so, that's fine because I'll have time in the coming days to organize it all. Thanks for your help!

Steve

BuckMD2010 said:
I'm actually a student at Vanderbilt, so I guess that would qualify me as a new OSU student for the fall. Do you know if that means that the ticket group must be established by April and then new members can join by June? If so, that's fine because I'll have time in the coming days to organize it all. Thanks for your help!

Steve -

If you are planning on the seating group being for just new incoming students, I don't think there is any hurry to set one up. If you want to be in the same group as current students, then I think the group needs to be set up by the time the current students have to order (which is the end of this month), and then incoming students could join that group when they order in June.

If you order under one group and decide that you want to be in a different group, you need to e-mail the ticket office. I think that info was on the FAQ's on www.hangonsloopy.com . If you can't find the answer to the question there, e-mail or call the ticket office. I have done both, and they are usually pretty helpful.

I ordered in June last year and we had GREAT seats. Our season tickets were about 10 rows up in the end zone, and our Texas tickets were C deck, at about the 47 yard line. My husband attended OSU for four years and said those were the best seats he had ever gotten. I have heard that you are likely to get better seats with smaller groups. I didn't join any groups last year - just ordered my two. This year our group is going to be 5 people.

To current IP OSUers- Do you guys think we will be buying textbooks next year, or do most people just study exclusively from notes? Also, are notes online, or do we have to buy a coursepack somewhere? I'm curious about where my loan money will be going :)

FutureDrKt said:
To current IP OSUers- Do you guys think we will be buying textbooks next year, or do most people just study exclusively from notes? Also, are notes online, or do we have to buy a coursepack somewhere? I'm curious about where my loan money will be going :)

The slides from all of the lectures are available online on WebCT. Also, there are course packets for sale at CopEZ on campus. During anatomy, having ECA and an atlas seemed essential. However, since that time, textbook reading (at least for me) has gone down significantly. Almost all of the professors seem to emphasize that all of the important (read: test-worthy :p) material will be from the course packets and the online lecture slides.

If you don't want to buy the books but feel like you have to read, they are available at the Prior Health Sciences library. Some are even available from the library's website.

shiraz84 said:
The slides from all of the lectures are available online on WebCT. Also, there are course packets for sale at CopEZ on campus. During anatomy, having ECA and an atlas seemed essential. However, since that time, textbook reading (at least for me) has gone down significantly. Almost all of the professors seem to emphasize that all of the important (read: test-worthy :p) material will be from the course packets and the online lecture slides.

If you don't want to buy the books but feel like you have to read, they are available at the Prior Health Sciences library. Some are even available from the library's website.

what about for ISPers? I assume they can read the books they need at the Health Sciences library?

doublebuckeye said:
what about for ISPers? I assume they can read the books they need at the Health Sciences library?

In ISP, the school provides us with our module packets, whereas the IP students must purchase their notes as shiraz pointed out. I think they do this since we don't utilize the faculty/lectures part of our tuition is going toward. It's nice not to have to buy the packets, but given the cost of medical school, the savings are trivial.

Anyway, you asked about books in ISP. There is an ISP library that has (usually) several copies of the text you need for any given module. Even though the ISP students tend to get spread out so that different people are working on different modules at anytime, you might find the book you need already checked out from the ISP library. In that case, you could use a copy of the book on reserve at Prior just as the IPer's might if they wanted to supplement their class notes.

Lastly, you will probably buy a good number of books if you choose to go ISP. Regardless of the limitations I pointed out above, there are some books that are so valuable or used so frequently that you will want to buy them. For example, about half the first-year modules use the same histology and physiology texts. At least 3 modules require the use of a biochem text. The last module of first year and many in year two require Robbin's. Hope this information is helpful.

doublebuckeye said:

I have ended up buying a lot of mine, but I live quite aways from campus, and so don't have as easy access to the library copies. Also, this year, there are 60+ Med I ISPers, so unless you are way ahead or way behind, your odds of being able to check out a library copy are slim. I make sure I pick up the modules well ahead of when I plan on starting them and order my books from amazon or half.com.

As Sandg said - a lot of them are very valuable reference material anyways. If you decide to do ISP, you might check with the Med 2's before buying books and find out which ones are must have and which ones you can do without. Also, since there will be quite a few of us, you may be able to borrow copies from the Med 2's (maybe offer them lunch or a 'rental fee' in exchange for not having to buy a book).

My understanding of ISP vs. IP from what little I've collected from OSUCOM and the posts in this thread so far is this:

IP:
-solid lecture notes, little reading required if you attend class
-little schedule flexibility
-early mornings

ISP:
-more reading, no lecture notes
-much more time flexibility
-less bang for your tuition dollar since you get less faculty instruction

overall differences on MSLE for each method: inconclusive

anyone care to disspell what i've said?

I have heard that one advantage of ISP is that you are only focusing on board material, rather than whatever some random Phd wants you to know about his/her research. Thus it makes life easier come boards time, since you already know where to focus. Whether this is reflected in USMLE scores, I have no idea.

I think doublebuckeye very nicely summed up the differences between IP and ISP. Of course, these are over-generalizations, but they are the essential differences.

Regarding Step I scores, the administration made quite a bit of effort this past year to emphasize that the IP vs. ISP decision should not be based on rumors about which pathway's students do better on boards. They made data available to us that showed ISP is always a bit higher in board scores, but in only a couple of years was there a statistically significant difference. Furthermore, ISP students typically have higher a priori predictors of Step I scores (MCAT, undergrad GPA, etc.) according to one of the staff here...this is probably due to the type of student that is naturally attracted to ISP. The bottom line is that either pathway will prepare you adequately for Step I if you do your part.

FutureDrKt made a comment about ISP not being filled with minutia that will not be high yield for boards. I personally have no idea if this is true or not...hopefully someone else can chime in on that one. My guess is we are forced to memorize just as many useless and quickly forgotten facts as the IP students.

I know you guys are probably already tired of hearing it, but don't stress out about IP vs. ISP...you will have loads to time to decide once school starts. Hope this was helpful.

My thoughts on textbooks, as someone who essentially dosent use them at all (IP) is that you NEED to buy an anatomy atlas and Grants dissector and SHOULD buy ECA (Essential Clinical Anatomy by Moore) for anatomy. If you find (like me) that reading ECA was a waste of your time, dont buy anymore of the books. Its worth spending the money to find out how you learn for medschool, as the way you learn changes a little bit...at least it did for me. You dont need the Grants Dissector to know how to disect..just go with the flow/look at the diagrams etc, but you need it because it essentially acts as a list of all the structures you need to know. If it is in the dissector, you need to know it.

I might as well give my thoughts on buying instuments too. So far the only thing that I have used is my stethescope. After buying it at the instrument fair for the "student discount" I got online and looked at prices and found better ones, so I would suggest looking online before buying. The most common one bought here seemed to be the Littman Cardiology III. Dont bother buying the other stuff, unless you really want it, esp the oto/ophthalmoscope....have had no real need for them yet and there is always one on the wall anyway.

There are also a lot of other little things at the beginning that want money from you. A "C" parking permit for example is around $180. AMSA (American Medical Student Association) and the AMA both try to get you to join by offering gifts like a medical dictionary or netter's atlas for joining. I think they are both around $100 for the entire 4 years. Many people in my class joined AMSA because of the free Netters. I like to make people aware of AMSA's political stance on occasion, because many people joined without realizing what things the organization stands for. Just something to look out for, as they espouse some things that the vast majority of physicans would disagree with. I joined AMA, which was 100 for 4 years of JAMA and a Steadmans Dictionary...a very good deal considering JAMA is normally something like $400/year. This also lets you work at AMA's free clinic (there are about 3 or 4 free clinics in cbus...some with similar names...i was very confused for awhile).

Wow that was long...hope some of that is useful.

logos said:
My thoughts on textbooks, as someone who essentially dosent use them at all (IP) is that you NEED to buy an anatomy atlas and Grants dissector and SHOULD buy ECA (Essential Clinical Anatomy by Moore) for anatomy. If you find (like me) that reading ECA was a waste of your time, dont buy anymore of the books. Its worth spending the money to find out how you learn for medschool, as the way you learn changes a little bit...at least it did for me. You dont need the Grants Dissector to know how to disect..just go with the flow/look at the diagrams etc, but you need it because it essentially acts as a list of all the structures you need to know. If it is in the dissector, you need to know it.

I might as well give my thoughts on buying instuments too. So far the only thing that I have used is my stethescope. After buying it at the instrument fair for the "student discount" I got online and looked at prices and found better ones, so I would suggest looking online before buying. The most common one bought here seemed to be the Littman Cardiology III. Dont bother buying the other stuff, unless you really want it, esp the oto/ophthalmoscope....have had no real need for them yet and there is always one on the wall anyway.

There are also a lot of other little things at the beginning that want money from you. A "C" parking permit for example is around $180. AMSA (American Medical Student Association) and the AMA both try to get you to join by offering gifts like a medical dictionary or netter's atlas for joining. I think they are both around $100 for the entire 4 years. Many people in my class joined AMSA because of the free Netters. I like to make people aware of AMSA's political stance on occasion, because many people joined without realizing what things the organization stands for. Just something to look out for, as they espouse some things that the vast majority of physicans would disagree with. I joined AMA, which was 100 for 4 years of JAMA and a Steadmans Dictionary...a very good deal considering JAMA is normally something like $400/year. This also lets you work at AMA's free clinic (there are about 3 or 4 free clinics in cbus...some with similar names...i was very confused for awhile).

Wow that was long...hope some of that is useful.

Thank you so much logos! Lots of good info :thumbup:

peetie said:

yeah, just got my letter today, and that OOS tuition is sure hard to stomach, for the first year at least. I got $8500 in subsidized loans, the rest unsubsidized. Do you think it's possible to ask for more subsidized?

funshine said:
yeah, just got my letter today, and that OOS tuition is sure hard to stomach, for the first year at least. I got $8500 in subsidized loans, the rest unsubsidized. Do you think it's possible to ask for more subsidized?
$8500/year is the max.

For the package, I received 3 loans. 2 were unsubsidized and the other is subsidized. Is it possible to take 100% of the subsidized loans 1st quarter to avoid a few months interest? Also, if I don't need the complete budget, do I have to take disbursement on the complete amount after I accept or can I refuse a few thousand of the money? (But I want 100% of the subsidized one)

CruiseLover said:
For the package, I received 3 loans. 2 were unsubsidized and the other is subsidized. Is it possible to take 100% of the subsidized loans 1st quarter to avoid a few months interest? Also, if I don't need the complete budget, do I have to take disbursement on the complete amount after I accept or can I refuse a few thousand of the money? (But I want 100% of the subsidized one)

I'm pretty sure that the loans are equally spread out among the quarters. The rules on the subsidized and unsubsidized loans are set by the government, not Ohio State. On your status page, there should be (or will be eventually) a place for you to accept your award. I think it gives you the option to take less money. It shouldn't be a problem to decline some of the unsubsidized money. One consideration, though - The first quarter is a month longer than the other two quarters (because we start Early August, but most of the university doesn't start until end of Septermber), but the distribution of loan money is equal among all three. I know a few people that were pretty desperate for their 2nd loan disbursement.

Must be nice to have your financial aid status!!! I'm a current student, and my award package still isn't complete. :confused:

Hi,

I have 2 questions about subsidized loans. Just judging from the other posts on fin aid I've seen in pre-allo, some people say they have received more than $8500/yr in subsidized loans. Is this b/c they received a Perkins loan or something else? It couldn't be from their school, b/c all subsidized loans are from the federal govt, correct?

Also, I know the govt pays the interest of your subsidized loans during the 4 years you're in school, but after you graduate, do you have to pay the govt back the accrued interest? I hope not!

The gov't pays that interest so that the amount that you take out that is subsidized is the amount that you owe the day you are done. THEN interest starts accruing on that amount. That's how I understand it.

Anyone know of any great private lenders to check out? Is that an oxymoron?

Oh, and about only taking out part of the loan, online you specify the amount of each loan you would like to accept. It spells the rules out pretty clearly there and it's really simple.

I received my award today too, and got the same 2 unsubsidized and 1 subsidized (=the 38500 guaranteed by the govt). I activated my account and everything but for some reason, my status page shows no award! It just says, needed, 59K or whatever the outrageous OOS amount is. Thoughts? There is no place on the page for me to accept anything. I'll probably call the financial aid office tomorrow but I just thought I'd ask...

Also, are there other people out there who got nothing but the 38.5 in fed loans, no grants, nothing? If so, are you guys going to get the rest through private lenders? Ugh I'm starting to stress out about not having any other funds, even though it's my own fault for missing the scholarship deadline.

And speaking of private lenders, I checked out the ones they recommended on that green sheet we got--all seem about the same (7-7.5% interest rate). As olydoc was saying, are there ones that current students particularly recommend?

ultimatekooda said:
I received my award today too, and got the same 2 unsubsidized and 1 subsidized (=the 38500 guaranteed by the govt). I activated my account and everything but for some reason, my status page shows no award! It just says, needed, 59K or whatever the outrageous OOS amount is. Thoughts? There is no place on the page for me to accept anything. I'll probably call the financial aid office tomorrow but I just thought I'd ask...

Also, are there other people out there who got nothing but the 38.5 in fed loans, no grants, nothing? If so, are you guys going to get the rest through private lenders? Ugh I'm starting to stress out about not having any other funds, even though it's my own fault for missing the scholarship deadline.

And speaking of private lenders, I checked out the ones they recommended on that green sheet we got--all seem about the same (7-7.5% interest rate). As olydoc was saying, are there ones that current students particularly recommend?

I made the scholarship deadline and it definitely didn't matter, so don't beat yourself up over missing it!

DoctorMoLLY said:
I made the scholarship deadline and it definitely didn't matter, so don't beat yourself up over missing it!

Ditto. ultimate, don't worry about it, we'll all be in huge amounts of debt together. Info about the private lenders current students liked would be much appreciated!

Something suprising they just announced that you all might want to be aware of.

Your illustrious OSU administration has decided to start a drug testing policy. Looks like incoming 1st years and outgoing 2nd years (to the wards) are going to be tested.

Best part is, you get to pay for it!

logos said:
Something suprising they just announced that you all might want to be aware of.

Your illustrious OSU administration has decided to start a drug testing policy. Looks like incoming 1st years and outgoing 2nd years (to the wards) are going to be tested.

Best part is, you get to pay for it!

Interesting... Was there an incident?

Not that I know of. They just sent us the new policy out of the blue as far as I can tell. I thought it was a little out of character for our administration, as they seem to be on our side of most things, and I really doubt that such testing would turn anything up.

The document also sounded like the policy was "this is the way its going to be whether you like it or not", which is very unusual as most things they do seem to involve a lot of student input. I've gotta say that our administration, while full of a fair amount BS like any administration, is very student oriented and generally well liked.

For example, they fired our biostats professor and apologised to us after our class filed out our evaluations of him (his first year teaching here..no ones falt..)...they take the evaluations very seriously. Questions on tests are frequently changed if in someway the question was deemed unfair and they onced adjusted the entire grading scheme of a division of cell block because we were not happy with certain aspects of it.

I cant really complain, but this policy was a bit of a surprise, for some reason drug tests (had one for a job once) have always made me a little uneasy...like they inherently dont trust me or something. (Then they are going to make me pay for it? because THEY didnt trust me?)

But then again a (weak) arguement can be made that they are looking out for patient safety. I dont really care much because, like 99% of us, I dont take drugs, but it does seem a bit unusual/out of place.

Hey everyone,
I went down to Columbus yesterday with my parents and we closed on a deal to buy a condo at this place:
http://www.gmcondos.com/index.php
I would really recommend them if anyone is thinking about buying. They are completely gutting the current apartments, installing all-new really nice stuff down to the plumbing, and selling them for very reasonable prices. The location is nice- suburbia- and it's about a 15 minute drive from school. The realtor there said that she has already sold several units to med/dental students. Just thought I'd throw that out there in case anyone is looking to buy!

FutureDrKt said:
Hey everyone,
I went down to Columbus yesterday with my parents and we closed on a deal to buy a condo at this place:
http://www.gmcondos.com/index.php
I would really recommend them if anyone is thinking about buying. They are completely gutting the current apartments, installing all-new really nice stuff down to the plumbing, and selling them for very reasonable prices. The location is nice- suburbia- and it's about a 15 minute drive from school. The realtor there said that she has already sold several units to med/dental students. Just thought I'd throw that out there in case anyone is looking to buy!

Did you go with 1bed or 2? How much, if you don't mind me asking?

peetie said:
Did you go with 1bed or 2? How much, if you don't mind me asking?

We went with the 2-bedroom, but both are very nice. I believe it was $95,900, but they are raising the prices soon by $10,000 because there is so much demand. The 1-bedrooms are $75,000.