*** The Official UCLA School of Dentistry Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I hear correctly that dental are guaranteed 3 years of student housing on campus? Any idea where most of the dental students live? If there is on campus housing, does anybody know when you have to apply?

not guaranteed. it's a lottery system with the following preference
1. graduate students
2. med/dental students
3. other

Living in University Apartments | UCLA Housing

did a quick search on apartments.com and found some nearby walking distance apartments for the same price

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Did I hear correctly that dental are guaranteed 3 years of student housing on campus? Any idea where most of the dental students live? If there is on campus housing, does anybody know when you have to apply?
not guaranteed. it's a lottery system with the following preference
1. graduate students
2. med/dental students
3. other

Living in University Apartments | UCLA Housing

did a quick search on apartments.com and found some nearby walking distance apartments for the same price
If you get housing, then yes you are guaranteed housing for only 3 years. I think a lot of us live in grad housing, which you apply for in like Feb or March- details will be sent out to you near that time.

Any OOS students that got into UCLA, would you mind sharing your stats? OOS student but have not heard anything from there since July when I submitted the supplementary fees.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Housing in Westwood and nearby is very expensive (LA in general) if you’re looking for a studio, single, or 1b1b. If you want a nice place without sharing a room, prices range around $1400+/month, and you have to consider utilities (~$50-100) and parking if you bring a car (~$100-150, unless your place includes it). So if you pay $1500/month for rent, expect to pay over $70k after 4 years :( I’ve seen some older looking bachelor studios for $1200. If you don’t mind sharing a room, you can definitely save a lot on rent, especially if it’s a 2b2b. Rent is always increasing, which is one thing I hate about LA. It’s ridiculous, but the area is really fun and has tons of things you can do.

Any OOS students that got into UCLA, would you mind sharing your stats? OOS student but have not heard anything from there since July when I submitted the supplementary fees.
Hi I am an OOS student who interviewed in late October and I was accepted on December 3rd. My stats are:
AA- 25, TS-27, PAT-25
GPA- 3.98

I'm curious about the waitlist, I can't seem to gather very much information from previous years threads. Is it large? And does anyone know if you are waitlisted on December 3rd, if they will consider you before or after spring interviews?

Housing in Westwood and nearby is very expensive (LA in general) if you’re looking for a studio, single, or 1b1b. If you want a nice place without sharing a room, prices range around $1400+/month, and you have to consider utilities (~$50-100) and parking if you bring a car (~$100-150, unless your place includes it). So if you pay $1500/month for rent, expect to pay over $70k after 4 years :( I’ve seen some older looking bachelor studios for $1200. If you don’t mind sharing a room, you can definitely save a lot on rent, especially if it’s a 2b2b. Rent is always increasing, which is one thing I hate about LA. It’s ridiculous, but the area is really fun and has tons of things you can do.

Thanks for this info. Would I need a car at UCLA? I know that there are places to shop downtown. And I Ubered to the airport, etc. Would Uber suffice, or is it worth it to have a car?

Thanks for this info. Would I need a car at UCLA? I know that there are places to shop downtown. And I Ubered to the airport, etc. Would Uber suffice, or is it worth it to have a car?

A car is not necessary since you can walk to places nearby, but it can be helpful if you want to go further out and if you're willing to pay for parking. Public transportation isn't great there. To get to LAX you can take the Flyaway bus from Westwood ($10) which is cheaper than uber.

First off, a big congratulations to everyone who got accepted so far!!!
For us that have not heard anything back, would it be appropriate to contact the school about our status?
For me, the weakest part of my application was my dental experiences. At the time I applied (July), I had basically only met the minimum hours. Since then, I've been working full time at a private practice and volunteering at a free dental clinic as an assistant and have gained a significant more amount of experience.

I understand that being patient is part of the process and that the admissions committee has a lot on their plate, but because this is so important to me, I want to be as proactive as I can to make this dream a reality (in a respectful and appropriate way) instead of just waiting and not doing anything. I was thinking that possibly sending the school an update of my experiences would help them see that I am still very invested in this career choice.

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

First off, a big congratulations to everyone who got accepted so far!!!
For us that have not heard anything back, would it be appropriate to contact the school about our status?
For me, the weakest part of my application was my dental experiences. At the time I applied (July), I had basically only met the minimum hours. Since then, I've been working full time at a private practice and volunteering at a free dental clinic as an assistant and have gained a significant more amount of experience.

I understand that being patient is part of the process and that the admissions committee has a lot on their plate, but because this is so important to me, I want to be as proactive as I can to make this dream a reality (in a respectful and appropriate way) instead of just waiting and not doing anything. I was thinking that possibly sending the school an update of my experiences would help them see that I am still very invested in this career choice.

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

if you update your AADSAS with those experience, it would automatically update for them.
it might also show them that it has been altered.

Can a current student try to help answer this question? I was wondering what the clinical requirements are for graduation? For example how many crowns or how many extractions do the students have to complete. Someone told me that UCLA fixes the problem of having a lack of patients by just lowering the requirements and therefore the students get less of a clinical education. is this true?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can a current student try to help answer this question? I was wondering what the clinical requirements are for graduation? For example how many crowns or how many extractions do the students have to complete. Someone told me that UCLA fixes the problem of having a lack of patients by just lowering the requirements and therefore the students get less of a clinical education. is this true?

Great question. There are so many rumors and old vs new facts floating around. UCLA has so many obviously great things about it, but no new student wants to struggle to meet requirements, or to have minimal requirements which could lead to poor clinical education. I would also love to hear from any upper level UCLA students, or recent grads. Thank you!

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone committed to UCLA? (filled out the paperwork and put the deposit down). I did!

anyone received anything in the mail yet?

does ucla require that certiphi background check? i got an email from certiphi but don't want to spend $$ if ucla doesn't use it

does ucla require that certiphi background check? i got an email from certiphi but don't want to spend $$ if ucla doesn't use it
Nope, I didn't have to do one last year, and I'm pretty sure things didn't change too much from last year to this year. :) Save that money $$$

Nope, I didn't have to do one last year, and I'm pretty sure things didn't change too much from last year to this year. :) Save that money $$$
Can confirm for this year that they don't require a Certiphi background check, Noemi said we'll just be required to run a background check through UCPD in September 2019.

Can confirm for this year that they don't require a Certiphi background check, Noemi said we'll just be required to run a background check through UCPD in September 2019.
Yup a livescan during orientation week. You'll get the form to fill out in June, and it's free.

UCLA has been my first choice for a few reasons:
1. Great for keeping your options of specializing open
2. Good patient pool (I spoke to a UCLA grad, and she said patients weren't the problem, but special case patients will go to the individual specialized fields).
3. Low tuition and great help with finding scholarships
4. Location, I want to stay in Los Angeles
5. Great reputation

I could go on and on, because this is my dream school. Anyone who is a student that could add on?

Can you comment on number 2 and 3, above:

For #2: Have you heard this from more than one source, that any patient pool problems are old news/not accurate?

For #3: What do you mean "great help with finding scholarships"? Do you mean that the school will tell you about outside scholarships, automatically grant you institutional scholarships when you qualify, or something else?

Thanks!

Can you comment on number 2 and 3, above:

For #2: Have you heard this from more than one source, that any patient pool problems are old news/not accurate?

For #3: What do you mean "great help with finding scholarships"? Do you mean that the school will tell you about outside scholarships, automatically grant you institutional scholarships when you qualify, or something else?

Thanks!

#2. I spoke to one student who graduated, who said they really help you meet requirements. I also was a volunteer at the UCLA ortho clinic. The ortho clinic and dental clinic were always really busy with patients. I think certain requirements, like any dental school, will be more challenging. I also volunteered at a USC clinic, and students said it is challenging to get certain requirements, but you have to be ready to spend weekends or devote extra hours to get those when presented with the opportunity.

#3. Just from the information I got from the interview, the financial office seems to really help with presenting students with scholarships to apply for. I thought this was more ambitious from other schools.

I hope that helps! I guess it's just my perspective too.

Generally speaking, is UCLA and the surrounding area considered liberal or conservative?

did no one get mailed an acceptance letter? I still never got anything in the mail. I think that is kinda weird. I only got the email

I didn't get anything mailed.
if you received a scholarship, did they email you about it?

I accepted my spot a few days ago!

I believe I read on here that housing info is sent out (mail? email?) in Feb/March. Is this accurate?

What are current students' thoughts on having a car at UCLA? I am coming from the east coast.

I believe I read on here that housing info is sent out (mail? email?) in Feb/March. Is this accurate?

What are current students' thoughts on having a car at UCLA? I am coming from the east coast.
Email, in Feb, telling you what to do. I submitted mine mid-March and got an email in late April saying I'd been selected for priority housing, and then got the official offer early June. Everything is done by email.

There's a fb post about having a car and I think it was discussed earlier in this thread too but imo it's not necessary. I'm IS and I had the option to bring my car but everything's expensive here (parking, gas, etc) and so I ultimately decided not to. It's convenient at times, but there's no place you can't get to via Uber/Lyft.

Are there still chances for Post-December interviews for OOS students?

Are there still chances for Post-December interviews for OOS students?
Yeah, definitely. Interviews go until March, and I would say invites for those dates haven't gone out yet (they'll probably go out mid- to late Jan to mid-Feb). There should be movement next week due to people declining their spot here too.

Reactions: 3 users
I think UCLA has filled all their spots.

I think UCLA has filled all their spots.
What makes you say that? I personally know 4 classmates that interviewed post-Dec (there are more though- I haven't asked :D) but for the past few years they've interviewed until March, and accepted into summer...
School starts Monday and they'd probably put out a sign-up sheet to be part of the upcoming interview panels soon, but if they don't, then I guess you could be right :shrug:

I got a call today asking if I was going to accept my offer or not and I decided to attend. He mentioned that they only had one seat left. Not sure if they budget a certain number of seats to fill their first round and try to fill the rest later?

I got a call today asking if I was going to accept my offer or not and I decided to attend. He mentioned that they only had one seat left. Not sure if they budget a certain number of seats to fill their first round and try to fill the rest later?
Interesting-- I guess I'll find out tomorrow :)

So I guess they're still determining if they will conduct interviews or not :shrug: every year is different so maybe this year they had lots of people to pick from from the pre-Dec interviews they had. Don't lose hope though! It's not over until you get a rejection!

@artist2022
You have been really helpful with answering questions about UCLA. Can you tell us the good and bad - what you like and do not like about the School of Dentistry? Any advice before we begin? Thanks!

@artist2022
You have been really helpful with answering questions about UCLA. Can you tell us the good and bad - what you like and do not like about the School of Dentistry? Any advice before we begin? Thanks!

@artist2022, specifically: How is the class camaraderie? People from all areas of the country, all walks of life attend UCLA. Is there a communal sense to the group? With such group of highly motivated students (some may say "gunners") is there an overly competitive vibe?

Status
Not open for further replies.