*** The Official UCSF School of Dentistry Class of 2024 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

coolguy07

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone!

Link to interview prep: University of California San Francisco School of Dentistry Interview Feedback
----> Be sure to give feedback on your interview to help future applicants!

Last year's thread: *** The Official UCSF School of Dentistry Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

*edited by the staff to include link to last year's thread

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, good luck to everybody.

I had a question I was hoping some of you might be able to answer.

Given that:
- I took the DAT early July, so I wasn't one of those early bird applicants and still have not submitted.
- I'm planning on submitting in the next couple days, before August comes around.
- AADSAS has my DAT scores, and just received my Transcript (yet to be verified). I'm also expecting my committee letter to be in within the week.

That said, my questions are:
- Can I submit before the transcript and committee letter have been verified/recieved? Does that just mean they won't start to officially review before those things are in?
- Given this timeline, if I were to receive an interview, should I expect it to be "post-December" due to me being a late submitter? Should I even think of myself as late?

Thanks in advance, and best of luck to everybody.

Hey guys, good luck to everybody.

I had a question I was hoping some of you might be able to answer.

Given that:
- I took the DAT early July, so I wasn't one of those early bird applicants and still have not submitted.
- I'm planning on submitting in the next couple days, before August comes around.
- AADSAS has my DAT scores, and just received my Transcript (yet to be verified). I'm also expecting my committee letter to be in within the week.

That said, my questions are:
- Can I submit before the transcript and committee letter have been verified/recieved? Does that just mean they won't start to officially review before those things are in?
- Given this timeline, if I were to receive an interview, should I expect it to be "post-December" due to me being a late submitter? Should I even think of myself as late?

Thanks in advance, and best of luck to everybody.
1. You are correct, the schools won't look at anything until all information is in and verified.
2. Applying now is still fine for pre-december interviews. We aren't even 2 months in the application cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s sad how quiet these threads are this year compared to past ones. Hopefully interviews invites start getting sent out soon! Last year the first batch were sent out August 7th.

It’s sad how quiet these threads are this year compared to past ones. Hopefully interviews invites start getting sent out soon! Last year the first batch were sent out August 7th.
Yeah, I noticed during the past couple years the amount of interaction in threads has dramatically decreased. It's unfortunate but it is what it is.

I was looking over the threads for the last few years and it sounds like people keep saying they were assigned an interview date by the school without any input from the applicant? Thus far every interview I've been offered has given me a selection of dates so I could better plan my schedule - can we expect UCSF to do the same or do we simply have to accommodate whatever date they give us?

I was looking over the threads for the last few years and it sounds like people keep saying they were assigned an interview date by the school without any input from the applicant? Thus far every interview I've been offered has given me a selection of dates so I could better plan my schedule - can we expect UCSF to do the same or do we simply have to accommodate whatever date they give us?
I noticed the same thing. I read an example where the person already had an interview scheduled at another school and UCSF allowed them to reschedule, even though their policy doesnt include interfering interviews as legitimate grounds for rescheduling.

I assume they will be reasonable about the situation. If you already purchased plane tickets etc, I imagine they will accommodate. For someone like me, coming from MA, I just hope the dates they choose aren't at a time when tickets are expensive!!

So, to answer your question, I would be speculating to say they will continue with the same model of interview scheduling this year. But, yeah I would guess so.

I noticed the same thing. I read an example where the person already had an interview scheduled at another school and UCSF allowed them to reschedule, even though their policy doesnt include interfering interviews as legitimate grounds for rescheduling.

I think we may have been reading the same post! That's the one that got me guessing. I also wonder how much warning we get on the interview date. If it's a week or two then I really pity anyone needing to fly out or make accommodations for their work schedule.

I think we may have been reading the same post! That's the one that got me guessing. I also wonder how much warning we get on the interview date. If it's a week or two then I really pity anyone needing to fly out or make accommodations for their work schedule.
I hear ya. Hopefully we get a month or so. Im 5 years out of undergrad and work full-time so I need to make sure I have time to request time off and buy tickets. Its generally not an issue but if I have to take a day off almost every week people are going to be getting very suspicious...I havent let anyone know im applying for D school because I dont want them knowing that impacting my ability to get promoted in the meantime...

Back to the forums to dig deeper!

I hear ya. Hopefully we get a month or so. Im 5 years out of undergrad and work full-time so I need to make sure I have time to request time off and buy tickets. Its generally not an issue but if I have to take a day off almost every week people are going to be getting very suspicious...I havent let anyone know im applying for D school because I dont want them knowing that impacting my ability to get promoted in the meantime...

Back to the forums to dig deeper!
I am in a similar situation (only 1 year out of undergrad but still work fulltime). Haven't told anyone my dental school plans so how do you intend on explaining all of your time off for interviews? I saw you have a few currently so you must be planning this already.

I am in a similar situation (only 1 year out of undergrad but still work fulltime). Haven't told anyone my dental school plans so how do you intend on explaining all of your time off for interviews? I saw you have a few currently so you must be planning this already.
I have most definitely been thinking about it, but really no clear answer yet. I have 4 interviews which is good, but I can still hide that under the guise of little vacation and a couple random days off. I scheduled so that 2 were back to back, Friday and then Monday, so I can sell it as a long weekend vacation. If however I get a lot more interviews (would be nice), I may simply need to open up to my manager about it. If I am taking a day off almost every week for two months they will definitely know something is up. My paranoia about not getting a promotion or something else is probably unfounded anyways.

I work in pharma and career changes like this arent that uncommon for people in our age group so while it may come as a surprise I doubt they will take it negatively. It just kind of casts a shadow on the coming year if they know im going to be leaving. Why pay me more if im just going to leave anyways...

So, ultimately, I imagine ill have to open up but i just want to delay as much as possible.

I have most definitely been thinking about it, but really no clear answer yet. I have 4 interviews which is good, but I can still hide that under the guise of little vacation and a couple random days off. I scheduled so that 2 were back to back, Friday and then Monday, so I can sell it as a long weekend vacation. If however I get a lot more interviews (would be nice), I may simply need to open up to my manager about it. If I am taking a day off almost every week for two months they will definitely know something is up. My paranoia about not getting a promotion or something else is probably unfounded anyways.

I work in pharma and career changes like this arent that uncommon for people in our age group so while it may come as a surprise I doubt they will take it negatively. It just kind of casts a shadow on the coming year if they know im going to be leaving. Why pay me more if im just going to leave anyways...

So, ultimately, I imagine ill have to open up but i just want to delay as much as possible.
I work in pharma as well and I agree that people are always coming and going, moving to different job fields and such. Well I guess I have to wait for my first interview to see how it will all play out. But seems like it'll work out for you. Good luck!

I work in pharma as well and I agree that people are always coming and going, moving to different job fields and such. Well I guess I have to wait for my first interview to see how it will all play out. But seems like it'll work out for you. Good luck!
You as well! Youre in Boston, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my rejection. Not surprised but still hurts a bit inside.

Reactions: 1 users
UCSF rejected. 22AA 22TS 3.87oGPA, 3.75sGPA. Gonna go cry now brb

did you guys receive an email? or did you just check the adea portal? also when was your application complete?

UCSF rejected as well, would've been nice! 22AA 21 TS 3.23 sGPA, 3.57 oGPA.

Just got rejected as well... 27AA 28TS 21RC
Cry

• Wow
  • Sad
did you guys receive an email? or did you just check the adea portal? also when was your application complete?
email and status changed on AADSAS to application denied

I haven't received anything myself yet. Not sure if that's a good or a bad sign. I'm OOS, not sure what everyone else was.

I got rejected today as well, but wasn't one of my first picks anyways to no hard feelings.

Just got rejected as well... 27AA 28TS 21RC
Cry
Are you IS or OOS? Did you have shadowing and stuff like that? Your stats are amazing you will get in somewhere else! I also like eating yuanxiao by the way haha!

Are you IS or OOS? Did you have shadowing and stuff like that? Your stats are amazing you will get in somewhere else! I also like eating yuanxiao by the way haha!
I'm international so that may be one reason. I have 250+shadow and plenty of research hours. Thanks you for your words!! Wow you know yuanxiao?!

I'm international so that may be one reason. I have 250+shadow and plenty of research hours. Thanks you for your words!! Wow you know yuanxiao?!
I am also Chinese international -- so I know yuanxiao! I'd love to talk more. I can't DM you -- so feel free to DM me if you want to chat! But if not, good luck to you with everything! :)

WOOO GOT INVITE 9:13 PM

GPA: 3.56, SGPA: 3.44
DAT: 23 AA, 22 TS
AADSAS Mail out: 6/12

Last edited:
Got an interview invite at midnight

Just got an invite as well! Are you considering the DentStay program? I haven't heard much about it, but I think it seems like a great opportunity!

Just got an invite as well! Are you considering the DentStay program? I haven't heard much about it, but I think it seems like a great opportunity!
I got an invite too! I'm not planning on doing the DentStay program because I think I rather give this opportunity to people who actually need it!

WOOO GOT INVITE 9:13 PM
Pooping my pants bc i did not expect this due to slightly low GPA but upward trend I guess

GPA: 3.56, SGPA: 3.44
DAT: 23 AA, 22 TS
AADSAS Mail out: 6/12
Got an interview invite at midnight
I got an invite too! I'm not planning on doing the DentStay program because I think I rather give this opportunity to people who actually need it!
What's the first interview date? :)

I got one on October 14th that I'm considering turning down due to travel expenses. Good luck to you guys

Anyone have any idea how many are getting interviewed this cycle?

Anyone have any idea how many are getting interviewed this cycle?

They always interview about 300 applicants (based on their website). Sounds like from last year’s thread 24-26 people on 12-15 dates.

They always interview about 300 applicants (based on their website). Sounds like from last year’s thread 24-26 people on 12-15 dates.
Thanks a bunch! I'm OOS and just got an interview invite a few days ago so I'm feeling anxious and excited all in one :whistle:

Any of you that got interviews is an international student? I read that this school does accept international students and I was considering applying but seeing what the stats were for some of you who got a rejection I'm having second thoughts.

Has anyone else received any interview invites? I just want to gauge my chances at a pre-December invite, especially considering the UCs aren't the most OOS friendly.

Rejected via email! OOS/ 3.1 sGPA, 3.4 cGPA/ app complete July 1/ 22 AA, 22 TS

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users