**** The Official UF Class of 2017 Interview/Acceptance Thread ****

amg09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was invited yesterday to interview on August 7th. I moved the date to August 15th. Good luck, guys!!

Members don't see this ad.

Invited for July 31st but can't make it in till August 31st. Getting excited!!

Members don't see this ad :)
nobody else, huh?
Nope. I've basically been talking myself into believing that UF hates me and I'm never going to get into dental school ever since you posted your interview lol.

We submitted our supplementals on the same day which is why I'm bummed.

Hi guys :) Is there any OOS who received an interview so far?

still waiting for the supplmental... my application was sent out on 7/6 and my letters were sent on the 7/27

I am OOS. Still waiting for the secondary app. :(

tomorrow is the big day! :eek:
Good luck! Be sure to come back and report how it went!

Also, when they ask if you have any questions, ask them why I didn't get an invite! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck! Be sure to come back and report how it went!

Also, when they ask if you have any questions, ask them why I didn't get an invite! ;)

Thanks, will do! I am sure you'll get an invite. Now...if only I can fall asleep. :eek:

Thanks, will do! I am sure you'll get an invite. Now...if only I can fall asleep. :eek:
Yikes! Hope you don't pass out mid-interview :laugh:

So I just finished my summer term and I got As in all my courses which is a decent boost to my lacking GPA. I can't update AADSAS but I want to give UF my transcripts so they can see I'm keeping up my trend. Should I email like it says on the website, or hand deliver them at the dental school?

Yikes! Hope you don't pass out mid-interview :laugh:

So I just finished my summer term and I got As in all my courses which is a decent boost to my lacking GPA. I can't update AADSAS but I want to give UF my transcripts so they can see I'm keeping up my trend. Should I email like it says on the website, or hand deliver them at the dental school?

I would probably send it. I did good in my interview, but others felt that they did not. It was tough.

Last edited:
I would probably send it. I did good in my interview, but others felt that they did not. It was tough.
Eek, tough in what way? I've heard UF interviews are notoriously difficult. Tough crowd to please?

As if they read my mind, a lady actually called me today asking for my summer grades. She said they were just "dotting some i's and crossing some t's" regarding my application. How convenient!

She also asked me about my shadowing. I have 40 hours and she made it sound like they were possibly looking for more so I think I'm going to find a dentist to shadow immediately lol. Hopefully an interview is coming my way!

She also asked me about my shadowing. I have 40 hours and she made it sound like they were possibly looking for more so I think I'm going to find a dentist to shadow immediately lol. Hopefully an interview is coming my way!

I thought there was a ton of opportunities for shadowing if you're an UF undergrad? My UF friends had no problem getting hours from all the clinics over there whereas I was scrambling in the small town my school was in.

I thought there was a ton of opportunities for shadowing if you're an UF undergrad? My UF friends had no problem getting hours from all the clinics over there whereas I was scrambling in the small town my school was in.
There are a lot of opportunities here. I actually transferred here recently so I haven't been able to explore everything, but I know you can actually shadow the students and that's something I wanted to do.

I personally feel that shadowing should just be to determine if a particular profession is one you like to pursue. I think 150+ hours of shadowing is ridiculous and pointless, since at that point you're just learning specific details of the profession which is what dental school is for. After 40 hours I knew I wanted to be a dentist but I'm going to pursue more hours simply because the school seems to want me to.

Just my opinion :)

There are a lot of opportunities here. I actually transferred here recently so I haven't been able to explore everything, but I know you can actually shadow the students and that's something I wanted to do.

I personally feel that shadowing should just be to determine if a particular profession is one you like to pursue. I think 150+ hours of shadowing is ridiculous and pointless, since at that point you're just learning specific details of the profession which is what dental school is for. After 40 hours I knew I wanted to be a dentist but I'm going to pursue more hours simply because the school seems to want me to.

Just my opinion :)

I totally agree

My AADSAS went from "Invited to Interview" to "Application under review". I already completed my interview. Weird. Anybody else get the same thing?

My AADSAS went from "Invited to Interview" to "Application under review". I already completed my interview. Weird. Anybody else get the same thing?

Same here...

It must feel so good to be done with your interviews. All you guys have to do is wait now! How exciting! Hopefully I'm in that position soon enough :p

You people need to spill the details on the UF interview questions/atmosphere/everything!

Hey guys, can anyone share about their interview experience? :) I'm OOS and I still haven't received a supplemental.

You people need to spill the details on the UF interview questions/atmosphere/everything!

From what I've deducted from talking with others on my day and any recent posts here is that everyone has a different experience so it'll be a surprise on how hard/easy your interview will be until you're actually there. Plus we're all still competing against each other so posting TOO much so soon in the game could actually hurt us :)

It must feel so good to be done with your interviews. All you guys have to do is wait now! How exciting! Hopefully I'm in that position soon enough :p

You'll get your interview eventually. And trust me, there isn't a single SDNer that wont be prepared for the interview. All the typical questions were asked. That's all I can say for now!

I did some further digging and found this thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=680946&highlight=ucsf

So nothing to be worried about. I guess it just means that they're reviewing the application post-interview.

You'll get your interview eventually. And trust me, there isn't a single SDNer that wont be prepared for the interview. All the typical questions were asked. That's all I can say for now!

:thumbup:

For those who have interviewed. What was the toughest part/ any hard questions??

Thanks!!

Heh, I don't blame you guys for wanting to stay quiet, I probably would too ;) Thanks for the comments thus far!

Hopefully we can discuss and compare experiences after I interview (if I'm invited)!

Hey everyone!
I'm new to SDN.

I had my interview at UF on August 15th.
I had no questions out of the ordinary (just stuff about my life and app).

I also interviewed on August 15 it was all the standard questions lasted about 20 minutes, I thought it went great but who knows. I'm OOS for those wondering.

Last edited:
Hey everyone!
I'm new to SDN.

I had my interview at UF on August 15th.
I had no questions out of the ordinary (just stuff about my life and app).
Thanks for sharing! Mind sharing your GPA/DAT? :)

Last edited:

I don't mind sharing. Honestly I think it is good to be as prepared as possible. If you are lucky you will have your interview in the AM before the rest of the activities. That's when I had mine. This was my first interview so not much to compare it too.

Most of the questions came from Dr. Sandow, she began with “what brought you to dentistry”. From there we discussed why I chose to go out of state for undergrad, my manual dexterity, some dental experiences, and why dentistry over medicine. I was also asked what my favorite undergrad class had been, and where I saw myself in 10 years. They made me feel comfortable and the interview flowed well, but you could tell they wanted you to prove your desire to be in the profession beyond your application. It was finished in about 20 minutes.

After the interview, we had lunch with a student panel and the students led our tour of the school, so there were plenty of opportunities to ask questions. We ended the day with presentations from Dr. Sandow and the Financial Aid director.

I highly recommend that you have some sort of experience in a clinic or working with an underserved population. One girl who had strictly shadowed in private practice was told she needed to work in a clinic, and I don’t think that is a good sign from an admissions stand point.

*GIRLS: bring flats for the tour. I had “comfortable” heels but they let you change shoes so no point suffering more than is necessary!

Hope this helps! Good luck :)

I don't mind sharing. Honestly I think it is good to be as prepared as possible. If you are lucky you will have your interview in the AM before the rest of the activities. That's when I had mine. This was my first interview so not much to compare it too.

Most of the questions came from Dr. Sandow, she began with “what brought you to dentistry”. From there we discussed why I chose to go out of state for undergrad, my manual dexterity, some dental experiences, and why dentistry over medicine. I was also asked what my favorite undergrad class had been, and where I saw myself in 10 years. They made me feel comfortable and the interview flowed well, but you could tell they wanted you to prove your desire to be in the profession beyond your application. It was finished in about 20 minutes.

After the interview, we had lunch with a student panel and the students led our tour of the school, so there were plenty of opportunities to ask questions. We ended the day with presentations from Dr. Sandow and the Financial Aid director.

I highly recommend that you have some sort of experience in a clinic or working with an underserved population. One girl who had strictly shadowed in private practice was told she needed to work in a clinic, and I don’t think that is a good sign from an admissions stand point.

*GIRLS: bring flats for the tour. I had “comfortable” heels but they let you change shoes so no point suffering more than is necessary!

Hope this helps! Good luck :)
Thank you so much for this information!

BUT looks like I won't be needing it anytime soon :p Got an email from UF this morning saying my application was put on hold to wait for my fall grades.

Guess 2 years of a 4.0 and a 24AA wasn't enough to convince them that I'm not the same person that failed art history and music appreciation 3 years ago. Whatever.

Sad that I can't even hope for that phone call on Dec. 1st now, but I guess I'm not out of the game yet. Hoping my other schools get back to me soon. Sigh :(

BUT looks like I won't be needing it anytime soon :p Got an email from UF this morning saying my application was put on hold to wait for my fall grades.

Guess 2 years of a 4.0 and a 24AA wasn't enough to convince them that I'm not the same person that failed art history and music appreciation 3 years ago. Whatever.

Sad that I can't even hope for that phone call on Dec. 1st now, but I guess I'm not out of the game yet. Hoping my other schools get back to me soon. Sigh :(

wtf thats just stupid! how can a 24AA be put on hold?

Hey man dont get discouraged, im on the same boat as you also was out on hold, they want to see how I do this semester in my masters program i guess. Just graduated UF undergrad. Have a 22AA and nothing below 3.8 in 2 years, uncluding 4.0 semesters
Yeah it sucks we wont be waiting for that 6am phone call december 1st, makes me sad

Does anyone know the email address of the admissions committee?

Keep your chin up! Focus on killing your Fall semester to show them your commitment. And if possible, maybe even a little trip to their admissions office (they're really nice :)) in person wouldn't hurt, to ask them if there is anything else you can do for someone in your situation.

Does anyone know the email address of the admissions committee?

Here's a list of all the people that are part of the committee.
http://dental.ufl.edu/about/adminis...student-admissions-and-recruitment-committee/

How long did you guys have to wait between submitting the supplemental and getting invited for an interview? I'm getting quite impatient D:

i just got offered a supplemental for NON-RESIDENT last Friday (completed same day). I submitted everything in July and I dont know why they took this long to review my file.

i just got offered a supplemental for NON-RESIDENT last Friday (completed same day). I submitted everything in July and I dont know why they took this long to review my file.
They probably put your application aside for now. I am OOS too and haven't heard much from them.

nope lol. UF is my reach school since I am OOS and they don't really accept a lot of OOS. hahaha

anyone here OOS that gotten an interview? How long did it take for an invite after you sent your supplemental?

anyone here OOS that gotten an interview? How long did it take for an invite after you sent your supplemental?

I had an OOS interview aug 15, it took about 7-10 days after the supp I think.

I had an OOS interview aug 15, it took about 7-10 days after the supp I think.

thanks! you give me hope lol. I took genetics lecture w/o the lab since I was a chem major and UF requires 4 credits molecular/genetics. I guess I have to take molecular to avoid genetics lab. They require you to take biochemistry 4 credits? I took biochemistry for chem majors and it doesnt even offer a lab for it. Am I suppose to take biochemistry lab for bio majors even though we learn completely different stuff? i think I will call and find out tomorrow