2018 **** The Official University of Detroit Mercy Dental Class of 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread ****

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am giving up my seat soon, wish you guys the best of luck :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone think currently having two prereqs for UDM in progress is hindering a possible acceptance off the waitlist? I know schools all say you can take some prereqs as long as they're complete before matriculation, but I personally think that's all bs because why would admissions risk taking someone off the WL now who could possibly fail a class (not saying I am) and lose out on accepting an applicant who already has all the prereqs completed.

Also I'm sure someone on this thread has gotten accepted with 1 or 2 classes still in progress, but I feel if I were to get in, they'd wait till the end of semester to be 100% I get the min C grade, especially since I'm a canadian applicant and thats when other canadians holding their spot choose canadian schools.

Canadian accepted off the waitlist - I had a couple of courses in progress

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m sure somebody is going to bite my head off for saying this, but the way UDM conducts the application process is absolutely pitiful. Having 300+ on a waiting list is absurd. There is clearly NO selectivity once somebody gets an interview at this school. I’m sorry, but for everyone really hoping you get into UDM, please really think about why you want to go there. There are plenty of great dental schools in this country and I am starting to fail to see the advantage of this one, especially considering the price.

Straight up, UDM SHOULD NOT interview as many people as they do and keep as huge of a waitlist as they do. Alright, rant over.

How big are other schools' waitlists? Is there a higher chance for those other ones?

Declined my offer today. Best of luck to you all!

Reactions: 2 users
i have to agree with these quotes. udm does things a little different. i was accepted back on 12/1 and withdrew once i heard back from my state school. i liked both schools but money was the biggest factor - 400k with udm vs 200k at my state school. just a few things that annoyed me

- i was surprised to see 80/students per interview day. if they interview for 12 days, thats around 1000 students so not sure how much screening of applicants are being done regarding interview invites. i was impressed that my 2 interviewers actually read my application in detail

- i assume the class is full. i read earlier posts that they usually go through most of the waiting list by the end of the cycle. i dont think that many people accepted to UDM will withdraw their applications for them to go through all 300 people in the WL. i thinks is a way to keep people's hope up and to have applicants be in constant contact with school with updates to application, etc

- video interview before the interview. not sure what they are gaining from 1 minute responses. the questions were never leaked here so i couldnt even prepare for them. i couldnt even elaborate on my answers so not sure what they were looking for. major inconvenience to clean my room and put on suit smh lol

- money order? all my schools accepted credit card and some charged a convenience fee. only udm and pen state (regular check). money order is just inconvenience with $5 to get one plus priority shipping for $5. ur app will be delayed if it's lost in the mail

- background check. not sure why i have to pay $36 for UDM background check. i had one at louisville but i didnt pay. school should pay

I’m sure somebody is going to bite my head off for saying this, but the way UDM conducts the application process is absolutely pitiful. Having 300+ on a waiting list is absurd. There is clearly NO selectivity once somebody gets an interview at this school. I’m sorry, but for everyone really hoping you get into UDM, please really think about why you want to go there. There are plenty of great dental schools in this country and I am starting to fail to see the advantage of this one, especially considering the price.

Straight up, UDM SHOULD NOT interview as many people as they do and keep as huge of a waitlist as they do. Alright, rant over.

If I'm going to be honest and unbiased, I have to totally agree with you in terms of the way UDM runs their selection process. I have been on the waitlist for three years, receiving an acceptance this year. It feels randomized, unfair, and extremely over-stressful for absolutely no reason. That being said, I didn't give up hope on this school because it DOES create proficient dentists considering the amount of complex patients you see in the underserved area of Detroit. Don't completely count this school out, you may get off the waitlist and enjoy their program!

i have to agree with these quotes. udm does things a little different. i was accepted back on 12/1 and withdrew once i heard back from my state school. i liked both schools but money was the biggest factor - 400k with udm vs 200k at my state school. just a few things that annoyed me

- i was surprised to see 80/students per interview day. if they interview for 12 days, thats around 1000 students so not sure how much screening of applicants are being done regarding interview invites. i was impressed that my 2 interviewers actually read my application in detail

- i assume the class is full. i read earlier posts that they usually go through most of the waiting list by the end of the cycle. i dont think that many people accepted to UDM will withdraw their applications for them to go through all 300 people in the WL. i thinks is a way to keep people's hope up and to have applicants be in constant contact with school with updates to application, etc

- video interview before the interview. not sure what they are gaining from 1 minute responses. the questions were never leaked here so i couldnt even prepare for them. i couldnt even elaborate on my answers so not sure what they were looking for. major inconvenience to clean my room and put on suit smh lol

- money order? all my schools accepted credit card and some charged a convenience fee. only udm and pen state (regular check). money order is just inconvenience with $5 to get one plus priority shipping for $5. ur app will be delayed if it's lost in the mail

- background check. not sure why i have to pay $36 for UDM background check. i had one at louisville but i didnt pay. school should pay
All of these statements are so on point lol. I mean in the end of the day the curriculum itself is a great one and UDM does make great dentists, they just need to have a more efficient way of going through the application process. It really takes a toll on some people. Congrats on saving 200k! Thats a huge amount man

Members don't see this ad :)
Just dropped my spot for the wait-list so that should kinda cut down the extensive list lol

thanks and congrats on ur acceptance as well. once u get that acceptance, u quickly forget about the annoying things some of these schools do during the application cycle lol. its all worth it at the end

All of these statements are so on point lol. I mean in the end of the day the curriculum itself is a great one and UDM does make great dentists, they just need to have a more efficient way of going through the application process. It really takes a toll on some people. Congrats on saving 200k! Thats a huge amount man

So I guess for those still on the WL, the chance of getting accepted is very slim?

All throughout the application cycle I've heard that 90% of the interviewees are offered an acceptance. Considering they take lab coat measurements and have you do the background check during the interview process makes me think that 90% is not too far off.

So I guess for those still on the WL, the chance of getting accepted is very slim?

Looking at last years post, there was acceptances through at least June, but those seemed very minimal (I’m sure some people got accepted who aren’t on sdn however). So its forsure possible to still get in, but obviously as time goes on it is less and less likely.

I agree with all YODA23's comments. The admission process is not fair but dental schools state that. Each school has their own agenda and they weigh different aspects of your application differently. For example, there are some schools that accept only in state or focus on applicants that live in remote communities or disadvantaged applicants or whatever their focus is on. Also if they want they can interview as many as 1000 applicants (UDM), personally I do not see any benefit to it but this is their process and they must like it.
Also interviews are never fair because there is a human factor involved , opinions are made at a glance, one interviewer might like you another might not. One can truly admire your talents and to another same achievements are not a factor. Interviewers are not trained in proper interviewing practices so they form sometimes first impression opinions which might not be correct. During my interview at UDM one interviewer was falling asleep and constantly yawning, the other was very enthusiastic. But dental schools decide how their recruiting process will look like and we as applicants have no choice but to follow it. Of course high GPA and DAT will increase your chances but not guarantee acceptance. (I watched a program on Harvard's medical students selection and they looked at veterans and were giving them priority regardless of the other scores, I would too.)
There are so many applicants that one person does not really count in this huge crowd. At the end of it all there is a lot of luck involved so to increase chances many people apply to at least 10 schools, because then you can fall into a certain school's agenda and get an acceptance. I truly feel sorry for those still on WLs because the whole process it extremely time consuming and expensive and if you have to do it again next year you need lots of drive and perseverance or chose a different career.

Reactions: 1 users
Nothing better than using numbers to know the odds of getting in. Someone posted this earlier and I hope it helps you get past that infamous 90% saying going around:

The following data is obtained directly from the “ADEA Official Guide to Dental schools” handbook for class entering Fall 2016:

Total IS Applicants: 394
No. Interviewed: 228
Offers Made: 134

Total OOS Applicants: 914
No. Interviewed: 368
Offers Made: 159

Total International Applicants: 320
No. Interviewed: 145
Offers Made: 66

Total Applicants: 1628
Total Enrollees: 143

Reactions: 3 users
help me analyze?

359 offers were sent out in 2016, starting on 12/1 and more sent out once initial accepted applicants withdrew their applications

359 offers - 143 class size = 216 offers to waitlist people

216/300 = 72% of the waitlist

people should take what the school says with a grain of salt. Applicants tells interviewers what they want to hear and vice versa. the 90% idea doesnt make sense to me lol. the cars salesman is telling u that multiple people are inquiring about the exact car u want to buy. is that the whole truth or a tactic to buy the car asap. likewise, the school wants to fill the class asap and keep waitlisted students interested in the school

Nothing better than using numbers to know the odds of getting in. Someone posted this earlier and I hope it helps you get past that infamous 90% saying going around:

The following data is obtained directly from the “ADEA Official Guide to Dental schools” handbook for class entering Fall 2016:

Total IS Applicants: 394
No. Interviewed: 228
Offers Made: 134

Total OOS Applicants: 914
No. Interviewed: 368
Offers Made: 159

Total International Applicants: 320
No. Interviewed: 145
Offers Made: 66

Total Applicants: 1628
Total Enrollees: 143

All throughout the application cycle I've heard that 90% of the interviewees are offered an acceptance. Considering they take lab coat measurements and have you do the background check during the interview process makes me think that 90% is not too far off.

i interviewed at missouri kirksville where they measured u for the white coat. i dont think that means anything and i never heard anything back from that school. lousville made me do background check and was waitlisted 1am on 12/1

Last edited:
As has been mentioned before, the 90% number is referring to the number of students who get accepted to ANY dental program, not specifically UDM's--the number of people that get off of the UDM waitlist and specifically enter UDM is obviously much lower.

They use that 90% number to describe the people that leave the waitlist at all--whether they leave the WL because they got accepted at UDM OR got accepted at a different program isn't specified.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Are you sure that only 143 offers were initially made?
and 216 of the 359 offers are waitlist?
Where did you get 300 from?[/QUOT

to do it correctly you need to take into account applicant's score (GPA/DAT/other) to determine chances of acceptance because if you are # 1 on WL your chances are very high and when you are # 100 on WL your chances are very low.

As has been mentioned before, the 90% number is referring to the number of students who get accepted to ANY dental program, not specifically UDM's--the number of people that get off of the UDM waitlist and specifically enter UDM is obviously much lower.

They use that 90% number to describe the people that leave the waitlist at all--whether they leave the WL because they got accepted at UDM OR got accepted at a different program isn't specified.
Yes very true.

Has anyone tried to contact them and ask about where they are in the waitlist? I want to contact them but I am scared that would be counted as against me.

those are just assumptions that may or may not be right

only 359 offers were made. let's say they initially had to send 200 offers to fill up the class of 143. then 159 offers were made to people in waiting list once applicants started to decline acceptances. 159/300 is only half of the waiting list being used

300 is the supposed length of the waiting list

Are you sure that only 143 offers were initially made?
and 216 of the 359 offers are waitlist?
Where did you get 300 from?

those are just assumptions that may or may not be right

only 359 offers were made. let's say they initially had to send 200 offers to fill up the class of 143. then 159 offers were made to people in waiting list once applicants started to decline acceptances. 159/300 is only half of the waiting list being used

300 is the supposed length of the waiting list
MB. i read too deep into it.

I agree with all YODA23's comments. The admission process is not fair but dental schools state that. Each school has their own agenda and they weigh different aspects of your application differently. For example, there are some schools that accept only in state or focus on applicants that live in remote communities or disadvantaged applicants or whatever their focus is on. Also if they want they can interview as many as 1000 applicants (UDM), personally I do not see any benefit to it but this is their process and they must like it.
Also interviews are never fair because there is a human factor involved , opinions are made at a glance, one interviewer might like you another might not. One can truly admire your talents and to another same achievements are not a factor. Interviewers are not trained in proper interviewing practices so they form sometimes first impression opinions which might not be correct. During my interview at UDM one interviewer was falling asleep and constantly yawning, the other was very enthusiastic. But dental schools decide how their recruiting process will look like and we as applicants have no choice but to follow it. Of course high GPA and DAT will increase your chances but not guarantee acceptance. (I watched a program on Harvard's medical students selection and they looked at veterans and were giving them priority regardless of the other scores, I would too.)
There are so many applicants that one person does not really count in this huge crowd. At the end of it all there is a lot of luck involved so to increase chances many people apply to at least 10 schools, because then you can fall into a certain school's agenda and get an acceptance. I truly feel sorry for those still on WLs because the whole process it extremely time consuming and expensive and if you have to do it again next year you need lots of drive and perseverance or chose a different career.
I am applying for the third time in June! :/

I am applying for the third time in June! :/

During my interview I spoke to a girl who was applying 3rd time. She told me that when she did not get in last year she requested a meeting with Dr. Jeffery Parent, Director of Admissions. He met with her and told her what she needs to improve her application ( I think she mentioned repeating DAT and something else but I forgot. If she reads this thread maybe she can comment ). If you do not get in by May you should do the same , write to the Dir. of Admissions and request a meeting for a purpose of reviewing your application and making improvement for next cycle. I strongly believe that everyone on a WL should make attempts to be noticed and advised.

During my interview I spoke to a girl who was applying 3rd time. She told me that when she did not get in last year she requested a meeting with Dr. Jeffery Parent, Director of Admissions. He met with her and told her what she needs to improve her application ( I think she mentioned repeating DAT and something else but I forgot. If she reads this thread maybe she can comment ). If you do not get in by May you should do the same , write to the Dir. of Admissions and request a meeting for a purpose of reviewing your application and making improvement for next cycle. I strongly believe that everyone on a WL should make attempts to be noticed and advised.

I was waitlisted last year. And finally got rejected in August. I tried to ask for advice but they don't provide advice when you are still active on the waitlist.

But by the time i am not on the waitlist any more, I already submitted my application for the new cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For OOS/Canadian students,

Where are y'all looking to live during the school year?

Hopefully one of you awesome folk get my dropped seat within the next couple of days!

Has anyone who emailed in updates to Danielle received an email back? I think I'm going to have to call them lol although it seems they hate waitlist people calling them

Wow this thread has been quiet lately! Has anyone on the WL heard from the school? My hopes of getting in are slowly fading :(

Wow this thread has been quiet lately! Has anyone on the WL heard from the school? My hopes of getting in are slowly fading :(

There are two deposits left: March 15 and April 2

Should be movement shortly after

Hopefully one of you awesome folk get my dropped seat within the next couple of days!
Do you mind sharing some stats? Also in state, out of state, international? Male or female? They tend to replace with similar characteristics. Thank you and best of luck to whichever school you go!

Do you mind sharing some stats? Also in state, out of state, international? Male or female? They tend to replace with similar characteristics. Thank you and best of luck to whichever school you go!

There are many schools that have a deposit deadline March 15. If you are on the WL you should email directly to the Director of Admissions today/tomorrow expressing desire to attend their dental school adding any new info, like new shadowing or volunteering, because he/she is sorting now the final list of candidates to call starting morning of March 15th. Do not email admissions as they do not act on such email, they are just clerks. Since many schools will be calling with new offers same day the Dean/director of admissions wants to call as early as possible on 15th to secure some candidates they want before other schools get to them. If you r on the WL you need to show strong desire, interest and initiative to those who make decisions. Good luck to all on WLs.

So supporting Me-Dentist’s point, I called admissions not too long ago and was told that since another deposit is due this week, they will be making calls either later this week or early next week. Hope that helps, let’s keep our fingers crossed!

My phone has been broken for a few days now, if by chance I get accepted and they call and I do not answer, will I get an email informing me that I have been accepted?

And what is the email of dr jeffers?

Has anybody sent a letter of intent or letter of interest and received positive feedback or does the admissions prefer you not to do this?

Has anybody sent a letter of intent or letter of interest and received positive feedback or does the admissions prefer you not to do this?
Friend of mine sent one every month last year that she was waitlisted and didn't get in. Unlike schools like NYU where they care about LOIs, UDM does not seem to care

I will be taking myself off the waitlist. Good luck to those waiting!

Did anyone get a call or got off the waitlist?

There are many schools that have a deposit deadline March 15. If you are on the WL you should email directly to the Director of Admissions today/tomorrow expressing desire to attend their dental school adding any new info, like new shadowing or volunteering, because he/she is sorting now the final list of candidates to call starting morning of March 15th. Do not email admissions as they do not act on such email, they are just clerks. Since many schools will be calling with new offers same day the Dean/director of admissions wants to call as early as possible on 15th to secure some candidates they want before other schools get to them. If you r on the WL you need to show strong desire, interest and initiative to those who make decisions. Good luck to all on WLs.
I feel like emailing UDM would kinda be against your chances bc I think they don't like to be bothered a lot. I might be wrong however showing interest towards them doesn't really help.

Status
Not open for further replies.