2018 **** The Official University of Detroit Mercy Dental Class of 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread ****

Status
Not open for further replies.
my flight there didn't cancel, i fly out tomorrow morning out of FLL.

my flight back however.... is cancelled lol. i'll be stranded in detroit.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
If it makes you feel better, I was there during the 8/26 interview and I was stranded there for an extra 2 nights because of hurricane Harvey hit TX where I'm from.

Members don't see this ad.

my flight there didn't cancel, i fly out tomorrow morning out of FLL.

my flight back however.... is cancelled lol. i'll be stranded in detroit.

Better to be stranded in Detroit than in FLL! I barely escaped from Florida today lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Who's here tonight and want to grab dinner?

I'm not available for dinner tonight, but I can give you some suggestions on where to go for dinner.

Royal oak and down town Detroit has great restaurants. If you are into Asian food, 14 mile has really authentic Asian restaurants.

Enjoy Detroit, See you tomorrow if you are in the 10am interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, not interviewing but from the area! You MUST try out Green Dot Stables or Lafayette Coney Island if you're looking to eat :)

Hi,Tommyjj
What is the interview format like? Just the day in general.

Hey, can you please tell me what was the interview format? I have an interview on the 16th.
Thanks.
it was a laid back conversational type interview with your typical interview questions. Saying anything beyond that will be unfair for other students sorry

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys. I got an email saying I have to do a Kira interview. Can anyone tell me what to expect? Is this a long interview? What kinds of questions do they ask? Anything will help.

Thank you and good luck to those interviewing!

Hey guys. I got an email saying I have to do a Kira interview. Can anyone tell me what to expect? Is this a long interview? What kinds of questions do they ask? Anything will help.

Thank you and good luck to those interviewing!

Its not long at all. Two video responses and 1 written response, all timed. They just want to see your personality.

Hi,Tommyjj
Hi,Tommyjj

UDM interview day was very organized. you get a tour with the students who interact with you throughout the whole day. Q&A session with the director. Student panel.
One thing they do not go over is financial, but they do give you a breakdown on paper. The breakdown is pretty straightforward though, so most others schools that do go over financial info during their interview day, basically just read off of a sheet of paper they give you anyway. But if you do have questions they will answer them.
Regarding the interview itself, I really enjoyed it, it was very engaging and conversational. I can tell you that you pretty much prepare for this interview, like you would prepare for any dental school interview.

Reactions: 1 user
I got an email saying I have to do a Kira interview. Can anyone tell me what to expect?
Simple questions trying to learn more about yourself. Number of questions differ.

Hey, can you please tell me what was the interview format?
The interview itself is very conversational. The interviewers were very inviting, they just want to get to know you better.

Its not long at all. Two video responses and 1 written response, all timed. They just want to see your personality.

Simple questions trying to learn more about yourself. Number of questions differ.

The interview itself is very conversational. The interviewers were very inviting, they just want to get to know you better.

Thank you for your help! I appreciate it!

Is there any prep I should do for the video interview? do I have to be as ready as the real thing? I have to do it tomorrow :/

Is there any prep I should do for the video interview? do I have to be as ready as the real thing? I have to do it tomorrow :/
Tormund, no prep needed -- they want candid answers, just do the practice interview to get you ready for the system.

I have my interview tomorrow and i wasn't able to call today because I was on my flight but does UDM allow us to bring our luggage to the school? Like, do they have a room to store bags? I have a flight to catch at the end of the day!
Can't wait to meet everyone tomorrow!

I have my interview tomorrow and i wasn't able to call today because I was on my flight but does UDM allow us to bring our luggage to the school? Like, do they have a room to store bags? I have a flight to catch at the end of the day!
Can't wait to meet everyone tomorrow!
Yes, your luggage will be stored in a separate room.

Interview #1!
School: Detroit Mercy
Notification date: 9/18
Method of notification: email
Residency: Canada
AADSAS mail-out date: 8/31
Application complete date: Not complete yet as still have to send photo and money
GPA (Bio,chem,phys, & overall): 3.7, 3.49
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 19/19/21/21/none

Reactions: 2 users
Interview #1!
Application complete date: Not complete yet as still have to send photo and money

When is your interview? Mine is on the 14th of October!

When is your interview? Mine is on the 14th of October!
The email said the 14 or the 21 but the 14 said limited spots so not sure what date i ended up getting yet! will let you know! I've had Canadian interviews but this will be my first american one!! I'm super excited!

Interview #1!
Dang congrats, interview invite and you haven't even sent out the secondary stuff?! Should I consider my chances gone then if I had everything sent out early August

Dang congrats, interview invite and you haven't even sent out the secondary stuff?! Should I consider my chances gone then if I had everything sent out early August
Are you also Canadian ? I wouldn't consider yourself out, still very early. I also have been a dental assistant for 7 years so have tons of hours which may have helped me,who knows.

Are you also Canadian ? I wouldn't consider yourself out, still very early. I also have been a dental assistant for 7 years so have tons of hours which may have helped me,who knows.
Nope not Canadian either, and I am sure that helps you!

What did you guys wear for the video interview?

What did you guys wear for the video interview?
From what I've heard talking to other people in my interview group, some people wore formal outfits under the assumption that the video portion will play an important role in getting acceptances. I personally just wore a casual dress shirt and nothing remarkable for pants.

From what I've heard talking to other people in my interview group, some people wore formal outfits under the assumption that the video portion will play an important role in getting acceptances. I personally just wore a casual dress shirt and nothing remarkable for pants.

Do you feel they're going to be seriously attentive to this video interview? I would assume the weight of the interview comes from the interview day itself.

Hi everyone :) quick question from the ones who already have their interviews. Are you going to know if you are rejected, waitlisted or accepted after your interview or you have to wait until 1st of December to hear the news about it?

Hi everyone :) quick question from the ones who already have their interviews. Are you going to know if you are rejected, waitlisted or accepted after your interview or you have to wait until 1st of December to hear the news about it?

Acceptances go out December 1st via phone call. Rejections come by email.

All on the same day ? 1st of Dec ?

Late post but... Interview #1!
Notification date: August 17
AADSAS mail-out date: August 9
Application complete date: Completed all requirements except background check
GPA (Science & overall): ~3.6, ~3.6
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/QR/Organic Chem/General Chem/Biology): 21/22/20/20/21/22/22/21

Last edited:
Has anyone had their aadsas portal change to invited for interview but did not receive the email? (I checked my spam fold and it's not there) I mailed in my supplemental yesterday and checked my portal a couple of hours ago and saw that it had changed to an interview invite but I'm nervous it might be a mistake! I was going to wait until tomorrow to contact them but wanted to see if this had happened to anyone else where their portal changed a day before receiving an email?

Same

Got an invite, 3.82gpa 3.79 sgpa. 22AA/19PAT. Nervous about the video interview though :/

Got an invite, 3.82gpa 3.79 sgpa. 22AA/19PAT. Nervous about the video interview though :/
Congrats! When's your interview date? Video interview is not as bad as it sounds. Really laid back.

Last edited:
Congrats! When's your interview date? Video interview is worse than it sounds. Really laid back.
I think you mean to say better than it sounds?? I hope haha
And I'm interviewing 10/14. I got the invite a couple weeks ago and had my application all processed 3 weeks ago.

I think you mean to say better than it sounds?? I hope haha
And I'm interviewing 10/14. I got the invite a couple weeks ago and had my application all processed 3 weeks ago.
hahaha sorry! Yeah I meant it's not as bad as it sounds. They don't ask you difficult questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.