**** The Official University of Detroit Mercy Dental Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread ****

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got call this morning!!
GPA: 3.98
DAT: AA20 PAT19
This was my second attempt! Im very excited now!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey all, I am getting carried away with the stress of getting off the waitlist a little bit. UDM is the only school that has offered me an interview and waitlisted me on Dec 3rd. I felt very positive about my interview ..... my interviewers were nice and cracked alot of jokes. I am naturally good at adding to jokes, so I made them laugh too and gave decent answer to their serious questions. However, I don't have stellar stats 3.2 and 20AA, 24 TS. I had 2.9 GPA senior year because I was sick (thyroid-issues). Excellent extracurriculars, shadowing, LR, and personal statement (probably the only reason why I got the interview). Also, I am an OOS applicant. Do you guys think I will most likely be ghosted because of my GPA and should focus on reapplying or still have a chance of being admitted?
The fact that udm almost clear up the waitlist is giving me a hope, but my low gpa doesn't leave me alone.

I'm on the same boat as you. I thought I did really well on my interview as I prepared and did tremendous amount of research! I also did well on my DAT to compensate for my gpa. Hopefully we'll hear back soon! Best of luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
got accepted today (oos) but will be attending a different school. Hope this opens up a spot for someone else that is on the waitlist!

Received an acceptance today off the waitlist! I interviewed on December 1st and OOS. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear the good news!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Has there been anyone that got rejected after interview at UDM last cycle and could not get into UDM got invited for interview in the next cycles after the first one while being rejected after interview in previous cycles?

Has there been anyone that got rejected after interview at UDM last cycle and could not get into UDM got invited for interview in the next cycles after the first one while being rejected after interview in previous cycles?
I have seen your posts around melma18. If you are rejected this cycle that does not mean that you are disqualified to be part of UDM entirely. It just means that you need to improve your application further to have chances of interview/ admission next year. Also, UDM is one of the very many universities out there.

I'm on the same boat as you. I thought I did really well on my interview as I prepared and did tremendous amount of research! I also did well on my DAT to compensate for my gpa. Hopefully we'll hear back soon! Best of luck :)
what is ur exact gpa?

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like they care gpa more than anything this cycle

Is it just me, or does anybody else feel like UDM is just good at giving false hope to people? It almost seems to me like they just give an interview to everybody who meets a set of minimum standards, and then only start to carefully select people after the interview.

I feel like they will give admission to people with higher GPA first (bc they have higher acceptance chances elsewhere too), and then they look at the ones with lower GPA and higher DAT.

Is it just me, or does anybody else feel like UDM is just good at giving false hope to people? It almost seems to me like they just give an interview to everybody who meets a set of minimum standards, and then only start to carefully select people after the interview.
It might be that and also the fact that they lose a lot of applicants as the cycle finishes.

I have been reading 2-3 years worth of UDM application threads lately, and honestly, people are expecting alot of acceptance posts around certain deadlines, but there are only a few people with relatively high GPA who post the news about their acceptances. I feel like alot of people aren't. Meanwhile, when you look at the class average written on ADEA guide book, you will see cGPA 5th to 95th percentile of 3.2-4.0 and DAT range of 18-23. If we use alittle bit of bell curve knowledge, this means that out of all the 310 people who receive an offer around 57 people are having 3.8 and above, 57 people are having GPA 3.3 and below, and 244 people are having 3.3-3.8 GPA. Therefore, not all the applicants can be STAR students. I might be wrong...

Reactions: 1 users

Not false hope but I think they may be ranking the alternative list based on gpa first then DAT or interview performance. But then again, this is only based on my educated guess.

I just can't wrap my head around how they are interviewing around 900 or so applicants with only 144 seats. They have 1500 applicants per year, so 900 is more than half. I was pretty shocked on my interview day to see that they were interviewing almost enough people to fill their entire class in just one day. I would expect getting an interview invite to actually mean something, and the way UDM does it basically shows otherwise.

I saw a post earlier that someone mentioned that they were invited for an interview on the 26th. The only logical reasoning behind this is maybe that they are losing a lot of applicants. It beats me.

I saw a post earlier that someone mentioned that they were invited for an interview on the 26th. The only logical reasoning behind this is maybe that they are losing a lot of applicants. It beats me.
Historically, it seems that if you interview January, you are simply interviewing for a spot on the wait list, not an actual seat. Historically, the interview to acceptance yield is not great, it is lower than the application to interview yield. Maybe UDM has the philosophy that every qualified applicant should be given a chance, but it creates unnecessary stress for many people.

Historically, it seems that if you interview January, you are simply interviewing for a spot on the wait list, not an actual seat. Historically, the interview to acceptance yield is not great, it is lower than the application to interview yield. Maybe UDM has the philosophy that every qualified applicant should be given a chance, but it creates unnecessary stress for many people.
If "clearing up 80-90% of the waitlist and leaving 20-30 people behind" is not a myth, interviewing 900 people is not illogical. At the end of the day, UDM wants to make money, and a lot of people would rather go to other universities for many reasons, so they drop their seats.

If "clearing up 80-90% of the waitlist and leaving 20-30 people behind" is not a myth, interviewing 900 people is not illogical. At the end of the day, UDM wants to make money, and a lot of people would rather go to other universities for many reasons, so they drop their seats.

Is it cause of the location? I heard from some students the campus is not in a safe area

Is it cause of the location? I heard from some students the campus is not in a safe area
Roughly half of interviewees are out of state applicants so if they get accepted closer to home they usually choose those schools rather than Mercy. Yes, the campus isn't in the safest area but it does have security and closed parking so take what people say with a grain of salt.

Roughly half of interviewees are out of state applicants so if they get accepted closer to home they usually choose those schools rather than Mercy. Yes, the campus isn't in the safest area but it does have security and closed parking so take what people say with a grain of salt.
At the interview, the students specifically said not to buy into the rumors about Detroit being this horribly unsafe city. Most people who are over exaggerating have probably never been to Detroit themselves. You just need to be careful not to end up in the wrong areas, and this concept is something that applies when you are in pretty much any major city that you can think of.

At the interview, the students specifically said not to buy into the rumors about Detroit being this horribly unsafe city. Most people who are over exaggerating have probably never been to Detroit themselves. You just need to be careful not to end up in the wrong areas, and this concept is something that applies when you are in pretty much any major city that you can think of.

I agree. I remember they mentioned that during interview. Students during campus tour did advise not to take the city bus from/to campus. But honestly didn’t look bad when I was there for my interview.

Does anyone know whether UDM accepts UNE's online orgo lab course credits to fulfill their orgo prereq?

I am pretty sure they do accept those but just to be safe make a phone call!
Anything online is iffy. It limits your options as to where you may apply, since some schools don't take online prerequisites at all. Even if a school accepts them now, the committee may vote to start disallowing them starting with any cycle, so something to think about in case reapplying is a possibility.

if they place those that are gonna be interviewed this month with those that were interviewed on December in the same waitlist ranking. I bet it’s gonna raise some serious question from admissions committee.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

if they place those that are gonna be interviewed this month with those that were interviewed on December in the same waitlist ranking. I bet it’s gonna raise some serious question from admissions committee.

Everybody who interviews December or January seems to be simply interviewing for a spot on the wait list. I assume they will be compared with those who were on the wait list after a pre December interview.

Everybody who interviews December or January seems to be simply interviewing for a spot on the wait list. I assume they will be compared with those who were on the wait list after a pre December interview.

So then the rolling admission adm committee mention is meaningless?

So then the rolling admission adm committee mention is meaningless?

Idk how admissions works at these. It's just so arbitrary. UDM pretty much offers interviews to everybody who meets minimum qualifications (I don't know of any other school that interviews 7ish people per seat). That's basically saying that getting an interview invite doesn't really have any meaning to it.

Is the next waitlist movement in February, and the next major one in April? This anxious waiting process is too yucky:barf:.

Idk how admissions works at these. It's just so arbitrary. UDM pretty much offers interviews to everybody who meets minimum qualifications (I don't know of any other school that interviews 7ish people per seat). That's basically saying that getting an interview invite doesn't really have any meaning to it.

Well sucks for those flying from out of state for interview

Pretty sure that’s typical of expensive private schools where most people drop their seats cause of the price.

I remember hearing that they want to keep their class full at all times after knowing who from December 3 paid a deposit. So my assumption was that they would try to call someone from the wait list anytime someone drops their seat. But when deposits are due, that is when people are actually forced to make a decision, so more movement happens around those times.

Did everyone get another alternate list email today???

Reactions: 7 users
Status
Not open for further replies.