**** The Official University of Detroit Mercy Dental Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread ****

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a bit of a dilemma. So UDM was one of the first schools that offered an interview to me. I accepted, but now I have 5 other interviews to attend, and UDM isn't one of my top choices. Should I just cancel my interview? :lame:

Members don't see this ad.

I have a bit of a dilemma. So UDM was one of the first schools that offered an interview to me. I accepted, but now I have 5 other interviews to attend, and UDM isn't one of my top choices. Should I just cancel my interview? :lame:

If there's no other option and you're confident about the other schools there's nothing wrong with canceling an interview. Also It would allow someone else the opportunity to interview at UDM.

Reactions: 3 users
Interview #2
School:
Detroit Mercy
Notification date: 08/31/2018
Method of notification: Email
Residency: MI
AADSAS mail-out date: 07/22/2018
GPA (science, overall): 3.71, 3.81
DAT (AA/TS/BIO/GC/OC/RC/QR): 21/21/20/24/22/21/20
Interview Date: November 10th

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone. I am a re-applicant this cycle and I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to improve my application. If anyone was a re-applicant and got accepted then their advice would really mean a lot. Thanks.

Hi everyone. I am a re-applicant this cycle and I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to improve my application. If anyone was a re-applicant and got accepted then their advice would really mean a lot. Thanks.

What was your DAT? I'm a re-app as well all I did was retake my DAT and I already have 4 interviews this cycle vs just one from last.

What was your DAT? I'm a re-app as well all I did was retake my DAT and I already have 4 interviews this cycle vs just one from last.
AA: 20
RC: 22
OC: 21
Bio: 19
PAT: 20
GC: 20
TS: 20
QR: 18

AA: 20
RC: 22
OC: 21
Bio: 19
PAT: 20
GC: 20
TS: 20
QR: 18

Your DATs fine judging by the people I personally know that have been accepted. Weren't you accepted to IU last cycle?

Your DATs fine judging by the people I personally know that have been accepted. Weren't you accepted to IU last cycle?
Yes I was accepted but I could not attend due to a family situation.

Reactions: 1 user
How much were you able to increase your dat score by?

A fairly large amount my AA went from 19 to 21 and my TS from 17 to 22. My biggest increase was gen chem went from 15 to 24.

Yes I was accepted but I could not attend due to a family situation.

This is strange, because if you are accepted you can ask for postponed admission. In my D1 class we have 2 people that could not start last year and were given permission to start 1st year this year. One of the reason was finances.

Late but I just interviewed last weekend (2nd time interviewing was accepted last year but decided to decline, will accept if offered again this year).
Interview #1
School:
Detroit Mercy
Notification date: 7/18/18
Interview Date: 9/22/18
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/12/18
GPA (science, overall): 3.61/3.70
DAT (AA/TS/BIO/GC/OC/RC/QR): 23/23/22/24/25/23/23

Interview was not stressful at all, be yourself.

Last edited:
Late but I just interviewed last weekend (2nd time interviewing was accepted last year but decided to decline, will accept if offered again this year).
Interview #1
School:
Detroit Mercy
Notification date: 7/18/18
Interview Date: 9/22/18
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/12/18
GPA (science, overall): 3.70/3.60
DAT (AA/TS/BIO/GC/OC/RC/QR): 23AA/23TS.

Interview was not stressful at all, just a casual conversation honestly.

What made you decline last year if you don't mind me asking? your stats are great you should definitely get more then one acceptance

Members don't see this ad :)
What made you decline last year if you don't mind me asking? your stats are great you should definitely get more then one acceptance

Mainly family and fiscal stuff. Decided to take a gap year instead to work to pay off some loans from ug and spend time with my parents as much as I could because there's not going to be a lot of that in dental school. Last year I had multiple interviews but chose to rescind them for next cycle.

Hi everyone,

I interviewed at UDM on 9/22 and I saw that my AADSAS status changed from “invited for interview” to “none”. I’m hoping it just means that they’re reviewing my app for a decision, but does anyone know what that means exactly?

Hi everyone,

I interviewed at UDM on 9/22 and I saw that my AADSAS status changed from “invited for interview” to “none”. I’m hoping it just means that they’re reviewing my app for a decision, but does anyone know what that means exactly?
Name please so that I can add u to the groupme?

Name please so that I can add u to the groupme?

Hi,

I tried privately messaging you with my info but was unable to. If you could try messaging me, I can give you my info :)

Hi everyone,

Hey, if possible, can you tell me the format of the interview at UDM? Like is it traditional/conversational type of interview or is it a bunch of critical thinking/ethical dilemmas? Thanks

I'm interviewing September 8 at 11:30am.

I hope your interview went very well. I have an afternoon interview as well, do you remember when your interview got finished? do you think I can catch my flight @5:55pm on the same day? Thanks so much!

As I looked into December 2018 calender, December 1st is on a saturday so when are they going to notify us of acceptance is it on the 3rd which is Monday?

As I looked into December 2018 calender, December 1st is on a saturday so when are they going to notify us of acceptance is it on the 3rd which is Monday?
Hi, Can you put me on your group as well? I have an interview soon, would like to know about the format of the interview. Thank you:)

Those people had a afternoon interview, how long the interview will take? please let me know! Thank you!

I hope your interview went very well. I have an afternoon interview as well, do you remember when your interview got finished? do you think I can catch my flight @5:55pm on the same day? Thanks so much!
I was fairly local, so I was able to drive to and from the interview the same day. But you are basically out of there around 4:50, and the drive to DTW is about 20 minutes.

Which one weighs more the Kira interview questions or the real interview face to face?

How many percent is the kira questions count towards my interview score?

Kira questions are just supplemental questions they don't count for much from what I've heard.

I just try not to think about the interview once it is over. You can't go back and fix anything anymore. Stressing about it won't change the outcome.

Dr. Jeffers did say that basically everybody is either accepted or wait listed (you probably have to perform extremely poorly, or do something very unprofessional to be rejected after an interview). The number of applicants they interview per seat is quite high, but that is a decision made based on their expected yield. Based on what they said, this doesn't seem to mean that just hand out interviews like candy.

That being said, it might be the case that if you got an early interview, it may be more of the school is wanting to convince you why you should choose them. If you get a later interview, it may be more of the school is wanting you to convince them why they should choose you.

I just try not to think about the interview once it is over. You can't go back and fix anything anymore. Stressing about it won't change the outcome.

Dr. Jeffers did say that basically everybody is either accepted or wait listed (you probably have to perform extremely poorly, or do something very unprofessional to be rejected after an interview). The number of applicants they interview per seat is quite high, but that is a decision made based on their expected yield. Based on what they said, this doesn't seem to mean that just hand out interviews like candy.

That being said, it might be the case that if you got an early interview, it may be more of the school is wanting to convince you why you should choose them. If you get a later interview, it may be more of the school is wanting you to convince them why they should choose you.
But if u did poor in interview you will be either accepted or waitlisted? My interview performance was pretty stellar.

But if u did poor in interview you will be either accepted or waitlisted? My interview performance was pretty stellar.
Basically by how Dr. Jeffers said it, it seemed that being rejected after interview is something that would require an extenuating circumstance for it to happen (such as if you were being rude to people). However, if you perform poorly as a whole, you could end up near the bottom of the wait list (which is ranked).

Basically by how Dr. Jeffers said it, it seemed that being rejected after interview is something that would require an extenuating circumstance for it to happen (such as if you were being rude to people). However, if you perform poorly as a whole, you could end up near the bottom of the wait list (which is ranked).
What percent of your interview is the kira questions made out of?

Nobody knows bro, seriously stop stressing until December 3rd

If you’re that curious, call them
Even if you call, pretty sure they're not going to tell you, or they will give you the default answer of "we consider your file holistically". And if they see it as you being annoying then that can affect your admissions decision.

If you already had your interview, it's done. Nothing you can do about it anymore.

Hey guys! I am interviewing on 12/1. Could you add me on group chat? my number is 703-627-8589. Thanks!!

y'all. the group chat was for those interviewing on sept 22......no leaches allowed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At the end of the interview day, Dr.Jeffers mentioned "we expect you to maintain your GPA or exceed it for the rest of the school year", how serious do you think they are about that lol, I'm having a serious case of senioritis right now with midterms coming up :(

At the end of the interview day, Dr.Jeffers mentioned "we expect you to maintain your GPA or exceed it for the rest of the school year", how serious do you think they are about that lol, I'm having a serious case of senioritis right now with midterms coming up :(
I think they just want your GPA for the remaining terms to meet acceptable standards. People who aim "just to pass" may end up failing classes, and that will especially get them in trouble if it happens for a prerequisite course pending completion.

I think they just want your GPA for the remaining terms to meet acceptable standards. People who aim "just to pass" may end up failing classes, and that will especially get them in trouble if it happens for a prerequisite course pending completion.

Alright, hopefully thats the case, thankfully I'm not taking any prereq courses and I'm pretty sure I will be able to pass lol

Alright, hopefully thats the case, thankfully I'm not taking any prereq courses and I'm pretty sure I will be able to pass lol
Basically I think it's okay to relax a bit, especially if you get in somewhere on Dec 3. But just make sure you are not aiming for C's. Aim for A's, but get a few B's and it's not a huge deal. I'm sure schools only tell you that they want to see you keep up your GPA because they some people really slack off too hard upon acceptance. Chances are if you aim for a certain grade, you will not fall below 1 step of what you aimed for.

Not entirely sure but I can attest that those exact words are on the acceptance package when you do get accepted. I'm assuming some leeway is good just don't fall an entire lettergrade.

Not entirely sure but I can attest that those exact words are on the acceptance package when you do get accepted. I'm assuming some leeway is good just don't fall an entire lettergrade.

During my interview last year Dr. Jeffers said you need to maintain same GPA or better. Lowering your GPA will compromise your acceptance offer. You also need to submit your official fall grades and then spring grads right way and not though AADSAS which will take at least 1 month longer.
Also last year the Kira portion was in reality not considered ( they were trying it out as I was told by my interviewer), only in person interview was.

Dr. Jeffers said they consider re-applicants favorably, especially if you improved in something.
They have preference to in-state applicants ( and overall in-state accepted students have lower GPA than OOS or international.).
UDM calls with acceptance offers for at least 2 days: so this year Dec 3rd and 4th.

Interview #1
Residency: Michigan
AADSAS Mail-Out Date: 06/19/18
Application Complete Date: 07/12/18
GPA(Overall, Science): 3.96, 3.93
DAT (AA/TS/ PAT/ Reading/Any Section Below A 17): 20/20/23/18/None
Interview Date: August 25th

I know I interviewed there a while ago, but I just wanted to posted everything for you guys and answer any questions you guys may have.

Status
Not open for further replies.