**The Official University of Iowa Class of 2018 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

xatlasb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone who is applying! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone receive a supplemental from Iowa yet? Or is it too early? I did receive an "application received" email the same day that my app was mailed out (July 5th). Anyone hear anything else? Thanks!

Yes. A couple weeks ago I received sup. app. and scheduled an interview. I am in-state, but I talked to the admissions office and they said they had only sent out a handful so far. Dont worry.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A couple of weeks? that is fairly early. I only received one email from them saying, not sup

I recieved and e-mail 2 weeks ago stating they have my AADSAS application. I'm OOS.

I received the email saying they have the appli, it says they will contact people again for sup..

That's weird, I applied 3rd batch and never received a confirmation app that AADSAS was received. I haven't heard a peep out of them. Guess I'll call tomorrow and see what's going on.

Finally got an AADSAS confirmation email from them today.

Well this is unexpected......

Just got an interview invite from University of Iowa.

sGPA 3.85 oGPA 3.72
19/20/22
OOS from NJ

Any updates as far as supplemental and interv. invites go?

Hi Everyone, I just got deferred from Iowa today! It says "your application is not cancelled or denied, and should active consideration of your file resume, you will be contacted". Can anyone explain? is it rejection basically?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone, I just got deferred from Iowa today! It says "your application is not cancelled or denied, and should active consideration of your file resume, you will be contacted". Can anyone explain? is it rejection basically?[/

Last edited:
Received supplemental app and interview invite today. I'm instate.

Received the supplemental and interview invite at 11am this morning. Instate resident.

My app was sent 7/19 (5th batch, i think). However, My DAT scores wasn't uploaded onto AADSAS until 8/09.

Just got an interview invite today!

Last edited:
Interview invite this morning. OOS AA: 21 TS: 19 PA:23 South Dakota resident

Interview invite this morning as well! Missouri resident

AA: 21 TS: 21 PAT: 23

Deferred today. OOS AA:22 TS:21 PAT:20 kinda peeved. Iowa was my number one :(

Cedar Rapids airport. It is like 20 minutes from Iowa City

Got an interview invite, iowa resident. See you guys on September 30th if you're at that time!

Got an interview invite, iowa resident. See you guys on September 30th if you're at that time!

I'm the 23rd, so I'll let you know how it goes! I've heard it's kind of a higher stress interview compared to others.

I'm the 23rd, so I'll let you know how it goes! I've heard it's kind of a higher stress interview compared to others.

I had one at iowa and Nebraska last year and thought the iowa one was more formal for sure.

I had one at iowa and Nebraska last year and thought the iowa one was more formal for sure.

It's my first interview, so what a way to start off! What part of Iowa are you from? I'm in the CR area, so not a far jaunt at all

It's my first interview, so what a way to start off! What part of Iowa are you from? I'm in the CR area, so not a far jaunt at all

Yeah, it's not awful though so don't get nervous. I'm from the Des Moines area, so not too bad here either really.

Just got deferred today as well, oos :( Sad because both of my brothers and my dad have graduated from here. Hopefully I still have a chance...

Just got deferred today as well, oos :( Sad because both of my brothers and my dad have graduated from here. Hopefully I still have a chance...

What does deferred mean?

Deferred means that they aren't exactly rejected. To put it another way is they are on the "waitlist" for interviews. It is like they are on the borderline between interview and rejection. Definitely not the worst thing to happen. There is still hope for an interview!

Deferred means that they aren't exactly rejected. To put it another way is they are on the "waitlist" for interviews. It is like they are on the borderline between interview and rejection. Definitely not the worst thing to happen. There is still hope for an interview!

Ahh thanks!

I just got deferred today as well. I haven't read about any other dental schools doing this? Also pretty disappointed since I am very interested in interviewing and attending this school.

I also got deferred today. Pretty disappointing but i guess its not the worst thing that could happen.

got interview invitation on labor day. going on Oct 9th. any tips?

Got an e-mail a week or two ago for an interview. I'm in the September 19th batch. Iowa Resident.

I just got deferred as well, which I am actually surprised about (thought I would get flat out rejected), though I wrote a pretty awesome personal statement <brush my shoulders off>

GPA:
SCIENCE: 3.0
OVERALL: 3.35

DAT:
AA: 21
TS: 22
PAT: 25

I am NOT a resident of Iowa and typically I have a very very low chance of getting an interview for Iowa. As for those with deferments keep your head up, we are still quite early in the interview/review cycle. As someone has mentioned we were essentially put into a "Queue" pile, its not a bad thing (it could be better, but it could be worse)

I just finished my interview at Iowa. The facility and the faculty are absolutely fantastic. In the 5 hours or so that you're there, they cover nearly everything you'd want to know and have several different faculty presentations. Elaine Brown planted herself in the home base conference room and was available for student questioning while everyone else was off doing tours or in the two-on-one interview (2 faculty members). She's a genuinely kind and warm person, so you're in good company while you wait for an interview.

The interview itself is a bit intense, but the administrators are great and I didn't find it as awkward as it might sound. There is a formal component where they sit you down and ask you questions off a sheet of paper wherein you answer and they aren't allowed to respond. I believe that they are instructed not to react to your answers. The next part of the interview is interactive and you're allowed to ask questions yourself.

My advice, just be calm and enjoy the day. You'll have plenty of opportunities to interact with faculty and learn about the school.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Am I the only one having trouble finding flights into Cedar Rapids?

Just got back from my interview today (any other SDNers there?)

Great vibe from everybody. I can't even mention how many professors stopped us on our tour to say hi and ask us if we had any other questions. There was a lot of construction going on, so it was hard to get a true vibe for campus with taking a bunch of back routes - but the positive to that is that the clinics are going to be state of the art for when we get in there.

Overall a great day!

Any other sdn members at the iowa interview today??

It was a lot better the second time around. As always, everyone was nice and helpful. All of the applicants seemed extremely nice as well. The interview is like everyone always says: closed file with specific questions they want to get though for each person, 20 min.

They talked to everyone about scholarships, but does anyone actually know how much they would give?

Last edited:
Can you guys tell me the order of events that take place during the interview day (i.e., tour, lunch, interview,)? Also did you guys suit up the whole day?