*** The Official USC School of Dentistry Class of 2024 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

Punished Angeleno

Dental Student
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last year's thread: *** The Official USC School of Dentistry Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

Hey, everyone. You can post your questions and updates here.

Class of 2022 Statistics
overall GPA: 3.58
science GPA: 3.50
DAT (AA/TS/PAT): 20.3/20.1/20
Class Size: 144

Class of 2023 Statistics
overall GPA: 3.59
science GPA: 3.51
DAT (AA/TS/PAT): 19.9/19.7/20.1
Class Size: 144

>> Prerequisites + Admission Requirements <<
>> Cost of Attendance <<
>> Interview Preparation <<
↳ be sure to give feedback on your interview to help future applicants!
>> Ostrow's Admissions Process Video <<

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Ayyy I remember giving you advice about your interview skills and look at that, you got an acceptance to USC. I'll see you at orientation bro.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi guys! I am currently re-applying. Im still waitlisted at Westernu and USC, I was wondering if you have any advice on what I could do to increase my chances this time around? TIA

hi guys! I am currently re-applying. Im still waitlisted at Westernu and USC, I was wondering if you have any advice on what I could do to increase my chances this time around? TIA
Well, you need to sit back and figure out what went wrong last cycle. Some schools are willing to provide feedback on your application, so calling and asking might be helpful.

When I was stressing out over the thought of reapplying, I found that the best things you can do as a re-applicant (at the very least) is tweaking your personal statement and adding to your experiences by shadowing, volunteering, and maybe even finding a job if you don't have one already. Many applicants retake the DAT or enroll in upper division science courses through an informal post-bacc or an SMP, if their scores are subpar.

With all of that being said, it's already mid-June. At this point, I don't think there's much you can do to improve your chances for this cycle in particular if you haven't already been working on any of the things that I mentioned above. If you have, then great! Let 'em know what's changed since last year and start preparing for the interviews.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Well, you need to sit back and figure out what went wrong last cycle. Some schools are willing to provide feedback on your application, so calling and asking might be helpful.

When I was stressing out over the thought of reapplying, I found that the best things you can do as a re-applicant (at the very least) is tweaking your personal statement and adding to your experiences by shadowing, volunteering, and maybe even finding a job if you don't have one already. Many applicants retake the DAT or enroll in upper division science courses through an informal post-bacc or an SMP, if their scores are subpar.

With all of that being said, it's already mid-June. At this point, I don't think there's much you can do to improve your chances for this cycle in particular if you haven't already been working on any of the things that I mentioned above. If you have, then great! Let 'em know what's changed since last year and start preparing for the interviews.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

I spoke with admissions at USC, they said my DAT (21 AA) is fine and not to retake unless I can score atlas 2 points higher. Im a biology major so im maxed out on the amount of upper division sciences I can take because I have already taken them all. They did mention I don't have any dental related volunteer experiences. I have a few I have done in the past few months I can add to my new application. Ive never received any grade less than a B in a science course, and I only have one C on my whole transcript from like my freshman year. I previously applied to 4 schools and got 2 in state interviews.... Is it possible that I did horrible in my interviews? also I applied December 1st, dont know if that makes a difference.

I spoke with admissions at USC, they said my DAT (21 AA) is fine and not to retake unless I can score atlas 2 points higher. Im a biology major so im maxed out on the amount of upper division sciences I can take because I have already taken them all. They did mention I don't have any dental related volunteer experiences. I have a few I have done in the past few months I can add to my new application. Ive never received any grade less than a B in a science course, and I only have one C on my whole transcript from like my freshman year. I previously applied to 4 schools and got 2 in state interviews.... Is it possible that I did horrible in my interviews? also I applied December 1st, dont know if that makes a difference.
It's possible, but I honestly think it's a crapshoot for applicants with subpar GPAs and high DATs, and vice versa. I interviewed at USC in November and I didn't hear back until April. I initially thought I interviewed poorly but now that I'm accepted, I think it had more to do with other interviewees having better numbers, lol. Simple as that. Might've been the case with you as well.

If you really want to maximize your chances, you're going to want to apply before August. You really did yourself a disservice by applying in December. Might also want to have more than just four schools on your list.

Will I stand a chance against other applicants given my 3.63 oGPA and 3.60 sGPA?
19 AA 19 TS 21 RC [Nothing below 18]

When does USC typically start sending out interviews?

When does USC typically start sending out interviews?
Last year first invites went out August 10th, per SDN reports. The year before was October 17th, yes October. So, who really knows. Could be a long wait, could be two weeks...

Reactions: 1 users
Will I stand a chance against other applicants given my 3.63 oGPA and 3.60 sGPA?
19 AA 19 TS 21 RC [Nothing below 18]
Yes, I definitely think so! It’s more than just the stats.

Just got my interview!! Super excited :giggle: Hope the invites come rolling in for everyone~~

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How many people are usually invited for the first round of interviews at USC? I haven't heard back from this school yet and I am a bit worried

How many people are usually invited for the first round of interviews at USC? I haven't heard back from this school yet and I am a bit worried

Based on 2017 statistics it looks like:

2701 total applicants581 interviewed

So over 20% of applicants get interviews.

Based on 2017 statistics it looks like:

2701 total applicants581 interviewed

So over 20% of applicants get interviews.
Thanks! and do you know how many people are invited for the first round of interview? (not in total) Because I did not receive interview invite today, so I am assuming that I should wait for the second round of interviews.

Thanks! and do you know how many people are invited for the first round of interview? (not in total) Because I did not receive interview invite today, so I am assuming that I should wait for the second round of interviews.

Ahh I don’t think they publish that specific of results but it’s a long cycle!

Just got my interview!! Super excited :giggle: Hope the invites come rolling in for everyone~~

Congratulations!! :)

Did you receive an email after you submitted your supplemental fee? Like an email regarding your application is complete and will be reviewed by admissions comittee??

Congratulations!! :)

Did you receive an email after you submitted your supplemental fee? Like an email regarding your application is complete and will be reviewed by admissions comittee??

Thank you!!! I submitted my app and the supplemental fee on July 31st and received an email from USC on August 1st telling me that both my app and fee were received (even though my app wasn't even complete... hahaha)

Does anyone know if they will slowly call in for interviews until December or has everyone been called in for Pre-December interviews

Does anyone know if they will slowly call in for interviews until December or has everyone been called in for Pre-December interviews

I think they'll slowly call for interviews. I got invited yesterday and the options were only September 11 or 18.

If anyone is interviewing on 9/25 (or a different day) and wants to start a group chat on WhatsApp, lmk and send me your number :)

USC can respond late and lag, so please don't freak out if you don't hear back in August when some people hear very late in the cycle. I applied last June/July and got my acceptance in March. Interviews are chill, nothing to really worry about if you're well versed instead of being rehearsed. They send out an email for interviews and acceptances.

Reactions: 5 users
Is there an MMI component in the interview?

How would you go about preparing for it?

How would you go about preparing for it?
I'd watch some videos on YT about how to handle MMI questions/interviews but tbh there's really no preparation to it because the scenarios are so random there is no real preparation. All I can say is if you're asked an ethical based question or two-sided question, take your time, explain the situation from both sides and then respond with your interpretation. Eg: I can see the side of point A because of ABC reason; however, point B's side is clearly evident from DEF reason, ultimately I believe point A is the choice I would go with because of reason ABC. The whole point of MMI is to throw you into a scenario and see how you would respond, would you hold your ground and think logically under pressure or start drowning in the face of pressure. Just practice as many scenarios on practice MMI's you can find and sooner or later one might be a question you could be asked during your interview.

Reactions: 6 users
Hi! Is there any way to best prepare for the PBL portion of the interview? Can anyone tell me what it’s all about? Thanks!

I called to schedule the interview but nobody was there to pick it up. Has this happened to anybody? And what should I do?

I called to schedule the interview but nobody was there to pick it up. Has this happened to anybody? And what should I do?

It might be because it's Labor Day today? Maybe try again tomorrow.

Hi! Is there any way to best prepare for the PBL portion of the interview? Can anyone tell me what it’s all about? Thanks!
You can't really prepare for the PBL portion and frankly, there's no need to. You will be given a *very* simple case to dissect with a few other interviewees. Be respectful, contribute to the discussion, and you'll be just fine.

Offices are closed for Labor Day. Try calling again tomorrow.

Did anyone get a completion in email from here? All i have gotten is a confirmation email stating they have received my application and fee on July 20th . My status say received/under review.

Same! I only got a confirmation email so I think they don't send out completion emails.

I finished my last physics pre-requisite after I submitted my app in June and it just currently got verified during the academic update period. On the AADSAS program materials part of USC's app it says, "After submitting the application, updated courses and grades must be emailed to [email protected]" Do I have to email my updated grade to them too or is the academic update sufficient?

Interview #5
School: Herman Ostrow USC
Notification date: 09/09/19
Method of notification: Email
Residency: Texas
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/11
Application complete date: 6/14
GPA (science, overall): 3.7, 3.9
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/20/20/24/none

Interview #5
School: Herman Ostrow USC
Notification date: 09/09/19
Method of notification: Email
Residency: Texas
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/11
Application complete date: 6/14
GPA (science, overall): 3.7, 3.9
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/20/20/24/none
What date did u choose?
Mine is on October 2nd

What date did u choose?
Mine is on October 2nd
I think I'm going to do October 9th, I need my mom to watch my kids and she can't on the 2nd!