***The OFFICIAL UT Memphis Class of 2009 Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I finally got my financial aid info and a place to live (The Estates at River Point on Mud Island). Still no official word on the white coat ceremony. How prepared are you all for August? Myself, I still have a ton of shots to take.

For those current students, what costs did you have your first year for books and supplies? I already have a computer, so I'm not worried about that. I noticed on the financial aid website, the allotted amount is around $7000. I know this includes a computer purchase, but it seems like a lot of money. What should I expect to buy besides books?

Members don't see this ad.

utcrew said:
I finally got my financial aid info and a place to live (The Estates at River Point on Mud Island). Still no official word on the white coat ceremony. How prepared are you all for August? Myself, I still have a ton of shots to take.

For those current students, what costs did you have your first year for books and supplies? I already have a computer, so I'm not worried about that. I noticed on the financial aid website, the allotted amount is around $7000. I know this includes a computer purchase, but it seems like a lot of money. What should I expect to buy besides books?

There are some instruments we need to get, but it's safe to assume that probably half that is for the computer since it's about $3000 for books/supplies the following years.

Did you everything covered by staffords? I'm FINALLY getting my award letter sometime this week due to some miscommunication with the FAFSA so I'm a little worried funds are exhausted. The UT website says after Feburary you're limited to whatever is left, but when I called they said it was an endless pot and 95% of the students recieve full coverage from staffords.

grw0o said:
There are some instruments we need to get, but it's safe to assume that probably half that is for the computer since it's about $3000 for books/supplies the following years.

Did you everything covered by staffords? I'm FINALLY getting my award letter sometime this week due to some miscommunication with the FAFSA so I'm a little worried funds are exhausted. The UT website says after Feburary you're limited to whatever is left, but when I called they said it was an endless pot and 95% of the students recieve full coverage from staffords.

Don't worry there must me plenty of loan money. I submitted my FAFSA after February also and actually just submitted the supplemental stuff two weeks ago. My letter was addressed on May 17th, so they were pretty quick. I anticipated the financial aid letter just like I did an acceptance letter. I was nervous as hell when I opened it. FYI I recieved $38,500 for the academic year. So, that should cover all I need.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just found this thread today!
UT-HSC COM Class of 2009! :D

- Hey M1s -
For textbooks - you shouldn't worry about books till August (however if you're set on buying - go early, we had some real problems with the bookstore understocking).
Most big sibs have books that they give to their M1 (but I think you guys are going to have a new anatomy book). Also the big sibs / peer mentor groups can really fill you in on what's been a good source and what hasn't. I know I didn't used the biochem book AT ALL. The Phys book you'll use M1 + M2 year. SASS also has most of the M1 books to check out + keep for the whole year (limited supply - get in there early). Plus signing up for things like AMA will get you a free Stedman's medical dictionary

Supplies wise - A bunch of the M2s should have dissection kits to give you guys for anatomy - you really only need 2 sets AT MOST (they're like $25 or so at the Used Book store on Madison Ave.) Phi Chi has a back to school party where you guys can get used scrubs to take into gross lab...
Your first preceptor session should be in September or so, you'll need a stethoscope by then (that's the only thing required - and the only thing I bought). They (namely Gail Beeman - you'll learn to love her) tell you to buy all this other crap (ex. Oto-Ophthalmoscope, etc.. most of the upperclassmen said it can be nice to have - but by no means necessary; which is what I found out to be the case).

The big EXCEPTION to all this is - people doing the military-paid ride, just go ahead and buy everything because they're flipping the bill.

Enjoy the summer, because Monday 8AM in A102 will come quicker than you think - see you in August. If you guys have any questions hit me up.

I'm pretty sure I'll be at Memphis next year. Just got pulled off the waitlist. :)

Any cool cafes or anything on Mud Island or in the general area? I pretty much always study in cafes, preferably where you get a younger but not too loud of a crowd. Just can't study at my apartment. Way too many distractions/excuses to do something else.

Hey everyone, if you're like me, you're probably wondering about the info for the white coat ceremony and orientation week. I called Diane Harris and she said that she is working on it now and it should be out the first week of June. Evidently, they are also working on their website etc., and she's got behind.

We M2s have our PCC/DRSS week that week so we'll be there to help you a lot! After the exam on this Friday I will be more helpful with info about orientation and give you book suggestions!

I was accepted a while ago. I went to Memphis to try to find an apartment and ended up at Riverset on Mud Island...is the whole brown recluse thing really bad? It seemed pretty nice for the price because they gave students a 15 percent discount. And I'm not familiar with the area at all so Mud Island seemed like the safest place to settle. I'm so excited for Med School. Thx for all the tips from M2s they are helpful. I look forward to reading more.

So excited for August.

I live on Mud Island (the Arbors) – 3rd floor apartment, so if it’s a ground floor problem I can’t help you. But, the spider infestation seems a story of infamous lore that everyone moving into a Mud Island apartment hears.

Mud Island is a great place to move to, especially if you don’t know the area – it’s a safe bet. It takes 5 – 10 mins to get to campus (depending on how many lights you hit). Other than the "Mud Island Streaker", nothing noteworthy has gone on in my complex...

I was just wondering, where do we park on campus? Like what's the best/closest parking lot to the general education building or any parking lot/garage that's the most convenient for M1s. Please help if you know anything because I have no idea and the map they give us is confusing. Also, when are we suppose to do the parking permit thing? Thanks y'all.

Spras said:
I was just wondering, where do we park on campus? Like what's the best/closest parking lot to the general education building or any parking lot/garage that's the most convenient for M1s. Please help if you know anything because I have no idea and the map they give us is confusing. Also, when are we suppose to do the parking permit thing? Thanks y'all.

The E garage is right next to the GEB - but parking is very very limited (~100 spaces). A lot of people park in the G garage + the I lot right across the street. But if you're really looking to save some $$$, there is free street side parking all around the phi chi house (around jefferson + manassas)

Members don't see this ad :)
WolfpackRed said:
The E garage is right next to the GEB - but parking is very very limited (~100 spaces). A lot of people park in the G garage + the I lot right across the street. But if you're really looking to save some $$$, there is free street side parking all around the phi chi house (around jefferson + manassas)

I can't remember where I signed up, but it definitly was one of the garages. I would imagine we would recieve our parking passes before the intro week, so hopefully in the next couple weeks or so :D. I'm pumped!!! I'm thinking about starting to review some anatomy because I haven't had any classes on it!!

Also, I'm a local (germantown) and will be commute, is anyone else taking this route?

grw0o said:
I can't remember where I signed up, but it definitly was one of the garages. I would imagine we would recieve our parking passes before the intro week, so hopefully in the next couple weeks or so :D. I'm pumped!!! I'm thinking about starting to review some anatomy because I haven't had any classes on it!!

Also, I'm a local (germantown) and will be commute, is anyone else taking this route?

Actually they will assign you a parking place during orientation. Most of our class were not allowed to choose our parking; they put us in the lot that they had available. Also I don't think E lot will be available because they gave 1st years first dibs on that lot this year so not too many people will be leaving that lot.

grw0o said:
I'm thinking about starting to review some anatomy because I haven't had any classes on it!!

Please don't - there's really no need + I don't think its going to help that much, especially if you don't know what's important and what isn't.

ENJOY THE SUMMER - there will be plenty of time to study anatomy 1st year (trust me) - the other classes limit their lectures while anatomy is going on. Dr. Park, Dr Wilson, + the gang do a great job.

So instead of studying, pull out the blender + sit at the pool

WolfpackRed said:
Please don't - there's really no need + I don't think its going to help that much, especially if you don't know what's important and what isn't.

ENJOY THE SUMMER - there will be plenty of time to study anatomy 1st year (trust me) - the other classes limit their lectures while anatomy is going on. Dr. Park, Dr Wilson, + the gang do a great job.

So instead of studying, pull out the blender + sit at the pool

I suppose you're right, it's only 10 weeks until classes start.

On another note, does anyone know if the university has any deals through dell/gateway/etc on computers/laptops?

grw0o said:
I suppose you're right, it's only 10 weeks until classes start.

On another note, does anyone know if the university has any deals through dell/gateway/etc on computers/laptops?

http://oit.utk.edu/purchases.html Check this link out. I'm assuming all University of Tennessee students, faculty and staff get these deals. I know for a fact UTK students and staff do. Also, software is dirt cheap here. If I were you, I'd get the computer and relavent software (microsoft office, etc) separately...it's much cheaper.

Although I too will be a new student that hasn't taken an anatomy class, as tempting as it is, I'm not even gonna read the label on an anatomy book this summer. The only label I'm reading is on a cold Guiness :thumbup: (while I can still afford it :laugh: )

Wow, I can't believe I didn't know about this SDN site earlier!

I am looking for a female roommate (current or future student), and I was wondering if anyone else is looking for someone to live with also?

I look forward to meeting all of you in a couple months at UTHSC!

Seems like this forgot to get moved to the Allo thread. Hopefully, this bump will do the trick.

Addicted To SDN said:
Seems like this forgot to get moved to the Allo thread. Hopefully, this bump will do the trick.

Let's try again...

Wow! It just hit me - we're starting school in two months :)

Question: Has anybody received Orientation materials/packets or really any information in the mail at all? I noticed today when I was browsing that some new info is up on the website (http://www.utmem.edu/Medicine/Admissions/index.php?doc=COM_NEW_STUDENT_ORIENTATION.htm)
but haven't gotten all of that stuff in the mail as per usual.

Another question: When is the deadline to send in the financial aid paper asking you to circle your lender due? I've been taking my time researching lenders and making sure that I'm making the right choice with that and I don't want to miss a deadline. Didn't see one on the actual page itself.

Woo! Who's excited?

~madrigail

madrigail said:

Question: Has anybody received Orientation materials/packets or really any information in the mail at all? I noticed today when I was browsing that some new info is up on the website (http://www.utmem.edu/Medicine/Admissions/index.php?doc=COM_NEW_STUDENT_ORIENTATION.htm)

Another question: When is the deadline to send in the financial aid paper asking you to circle your lender due? I've been taking my time researching lenders and making sure that I'm making the right choice with that and I don't want to miss a deadline. Didn't see one on the actual page itself.

Woo! Who's excited?

~madrigail

I'm not sure when the financial aid paper is due. I mailed mine back as soon as possible. FWI, I chose Edfinancial. It seemed like a good choice. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. On one hand I tell myself, "in 2 months I'll finally start med-school" and on the other hand I tell myself, "in 3 months I'll probably be studying night and day". I'm approaching it as one of my interviewers, Dr. Park, told me, "you have to expect the worse". Of course my nervousness probably stems from the fact that I'm getting married in the middle of July, go on a honeymoon for one week, and move to Memphis one week after that. :eek: Plus, I'm trying to get a manuscript finished on a research project I've been working on for the last two years before all that happens.

madrigail said:

Woo! Who's excited?

~madrigail

Awesome link!! :thumbup: I can't wait to see what our entering class stats are. I haven't recieved any information in the mail, but I see that you can do reservations for the white coat online for family and friends (unlimited).

Can't wait!!

Getting kind of exciting, huh?

Hey, anyone out there looking for a roommate? I'm hanging around Knoxville at the moment.

I'm a guy, but I've had girl roommates (actually my last 2 years of college).

Has Memphis sent out a roommate list? I got in off of the waitlist, so I feel like I'm a step behind a lot of you.

freaker said:
Getting kind of exciting, huh?

Hey, anyone out there looking for a roommate? I'm hanging around Knoxville at the moment.

I'm a guy, but I've had girl roommates (actually my last 2 years of college).

Has Memphis sent out a roommate list? I got in off of the waitlist, so I feel like I'm a step behind a lot of you.

im still looking for a roommate.. i just pm-ed you.

Hey everyone, I called the admissions office with a question regarding if we need to fill anything out on the ID application labeled "card reader door access requested". Evidentely, it's not much good filling this out yet. DO NOT MAIL THE ID APPLICATION BACK TO THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE. We're suppose to keep it and fill it out at the security office during orientation. If you mail it back, you'll be standing in line to get another one (or something to that effect.) Charlemayne was not very happy that students have been mailing the ID application back. Of course it would have been nice to have that stated somewhere with the material, but who cares. Just thought yall would want to know. :D

utcrew said:
Hey everyone, I called the admissions office with a question regarding if we need to fill anything out on the ID application labeled "card reader door access requested". Evidentely, it's not much good filling this out yet. DO NOT MAIL THE ID APPLICATION BACK TO THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE. We're suppose to keep it and fill it out at the security office during orientation. If you mail it back, you'll be standing in line to get another one (or something to that effect.) Charlemayne was not very happy that students have been mailing the ID application back. Of course it would have been nice to have that stated somewhere with the material, but who cares. Just thought yall would want to know. :D

Thanks for the heads up! All my material is being sent to my home address while I'm out of town all summer. It's amusing how excited my mom gets everytime UT sends something and listening to her read the letters :p

I'm assuming all entering M1 students now have webmail addresses. At least I do. I've noticed the last couple days that I haven't received any emails thru my UTK address. When I logged in to manage my account, I noticed that I had a utmem email address. I logged into it and there were all my emails!! Evidentely, they were automatically forwarded to the new utmem account. If any of you have had the same problem, this may be the answer. If not, you may have a new email account anyways.

Hey utcrew,

How did you log into the account management page? I tried to search for myself on the campus search engine, and I don't show up yet. Sooooo, how did you find out what your account name and password are?

Everyone -

Where are you all living/moving in this summer? I think it would be cool to have a few get togethers and meet classmates before school starts. I'm going to be moving the weekend of July 15th and will be living at the estates at river point :) I'm not from memphis, so any memphites could suggest cool places to hang out.

I'm so excited!!!!!

~madrigail

madrigail said:
Hey utcrew,

How did you log into the account management page? I tried to search for myself on the campus search engine, and I don't show up yet. Sooooo, how did you find out what your account name and password are?

Everyone -

Where are you all living/moving in this summer? I think it would be cool to have a few get togethers and meet classmates before school starts. I'm going to be moving the weekend of July 15th and will be living at the estates at river point :) I'm not from memphis, so any memphites could suggest cool places to hang out.

I'm so excited!!!!!

~madrigail

http://accounts.utk.edu/cgi-bin/uact/uact2-mail.cgi?func=loginform

Are you a UT student besides the College of Medicine? I used my UT webmail user name and password that I've used at UT Knoxville. It just happens to work for the UT Memphis webmail also. If you're not a past student in the UT system you may not have an account yet...I'm not sure. Try to search for your name under the health science centers home page under "people search". If you're in the system, your name will appear.

To answer your other question, I'm gonna live at the Estates at River Point also :thumbup: My lease also starts the 15th of July, but I'm staying in Knoxville till the 30th (trying to make as much money as possible till August 8th). I can't wait to check out the multi-media room and get drunk as s*#t after exams. Maybe I'll see ya there.

utcrew said:
http://accounts.utk.edu/cgi-bin/uact/uact2-mail.cgi?func=loginform

Are you a UT student besides the College of Medicine? I used my UT webmail user name and password that I've used at UT Knoxville. It just happens to work for the UT Memphis webmail also. If you're not a past student in the UT system you may not have an account yet...I'm not sure. Try to search for your name under the health science centers home page under "people search". If you're in the system, your name will appear.

To answer your other question, I'm gonna live at the Estates at River Point also :thumbup: My lease also starts the 15th of July, but I'm staying in Knoxville till the 30th (trying to make as much money as possible till August 8th). I can't wait to check out the multi-media room and get drunk as s*#t after exams. Maybe I'll see ya there.

Lol, are you talking about the room that was under construction in the spring in the Gen building? I recall during the interview tour the guides were pretty excited about it but I forgot when it was supposed to be finished.

Oh yeah, and I didn't goto UTK and just did a search on the main UTK.edu page to find out that I am in the system. The orientation guide says that you should be in the system no later then July 1st, so I would call if you can't find youself on the search by the end of next week. But we only get 20mb on our account?? That's really low :thumbdown: considering I had 500mb as an undegrad. I'm probably going to use gmail alot more now, I have a couple invites to burn there too if anyone wants one :D

MemLindyHopper said:
Wow, I can't believe I didn't know about this SDN site earlier!

I am looking for a female roommate (current or future student), and I was wondering if anyone else is looking for someone to live with also?

I look forward to meeting all of you in a couple months at UTHSC!

I am still looking for a female roommate and was wondering if you found one yet? I will be an M1 this fall.

does anyone know anything about the on-campus student housing? I'm afraid that I'm not going to find anywhere to live.

italia171 said:
does anyone know anything about the on-campus student housing? I'm afraid that I'm not going to find anywhere to live.

It's decent, but if you live there your first year, you'll probably be looking forward to getting an apartment your next year.

The M1 text book list is posted!

http://www.utmem.edu/com_admissions/COM_2005_TEXTBOOK_LIST.pdf

There are guidelines provided on when to purchase books, but has anyone experienced any dramatic change in the booklist (question directed towards M2-4s)? I would like to go ahead and order the books early. The nutrition book looks pretty cool! :D

grw0o said:
The M1 text book list is posted!

http://www.utmem.edu/com_admissions/COM_2005_TEXTBOOK_LIST.pdf

There are guidelines provided on when to purchase books, but has anyone experienced any dramatic change in the booklist (question directed towards M2-4s)? I would like to go ahead and order the books early. The nutrition book looks pretty cool! :D

there is also a link for email directions. but the link appears to be dead, anyone get it to work?

braduva said:
there is also a link for email directions. but the link appears to be dead, anyone get it to work?

The University of Tennessee Health Science Center
College of Medicine – Admissions Office
910 Madison Avenue – Suite 500
Memphis, TN 38163
Office#901-448-5559 �� Fax# 901-448-1740
dharris:6/28/2005
™
E-mail Directions
If who already have an email account, we assume you are from other UT campuses and know the ropes. What
you will need to do is to login at www.utmem.edu/email and make sure that your account has been set to
utmem.edu.
If you do not have a UT email account you will need to go to www.utmem.edu/email to configure your account.
Your default password will be the first two letters of your birth month [lower case], the last two digits of your
birth year and the last four digits of your SSN [e.g., fe619876].

I cut and paste the pdf. I looked over the book list and I don't plan on buying anything until I've talked to a few M2-M4 students. That's a hell of a lot of books. I'll have to steal a shopping cart from Wal-mart to pack all of those around. ;) JK.

utcrew said:
The University of Tennessee Health Science Center
College of Medicine – Admissions Office
910 Madison Avenue – Suite 500
Memphis, TN 38163
Office#901-448-5559 �� Fax# 901-448-1740
dharris:6/28/2005
™
E-mail Directions
If who already have an email account, we assume you are from other UT campuses and know the ropes. What
you will need to do is to login at www.utmem.edu/email and make sure that your account has been set to
utmem.edu.
If you do not have a UT email account you will need to go to www.utmem.edu/email to configure your account.
Your default password will be the first two letters of your birth month [lower case], the last two digits of your
birth year and the last four digits of your SSN [e.g., fe619876].

I cut and paste the pdf. I looked over the book list and I don't plan on buying anything until I've talked to a few M2-M4 students. That's a hell of a lot of books. I'll have to steal a shopping cart from Wal-mart to pack all of those around. ;) JK.

thanks for the cut and paste... but i still cannot find my netid.. the password is easy enough to work out, but i have no idea what my username will be and the obvious choices don't seem to work.. oh well.

braduva said:
thanks for the cut and paste... but i still cannot find my netid.. the password is easy enough to work out, but i have no idea what my username will be and the obvious choices don't seem to work.. oh well.

try the first letter of your first name followed by your last name. For example if your name was Jeff Williams, your ID would be jwilliams. However, if your last name is very long, it may be abbreviated (ie jwilliam). Or, if your name is very common, you may be known as jwilliams2, etc. Your email address, in the first example, would be [email protected]

utcrew said:
try the first letter of your first name followed by your last name. For example if your name was Jeff Williams, your ID would be jwilliams. However, if your last name is very long, it may be abbreviated (ie jwilliam). Or, if your name is very common, you may be known as jwilliams2, etc. Your email address, in the first example, would be [email protected]

yeah, tried all that.. i just emailed diane harris and asked her about it.. maybe she can enlighten me.. thanks for the help though.

EDIT: I finally got it working. Thanks for the help utcrew. We havent even started school and our mailboxes already have 10 junk emails.

Class list is posted...yay :)

utcrew said:

Try what utcrew said, first letter of you first name + last name. If that doesn't work, just continually try that combination with a 1, 2, 3.... etc at the end and you'll probably find it. I actually found my netid at www.utk.edu on the people search, yet, I'm not on the utmem website directory, so try going there.

Hey Spras,

Where is our class list posted? I don't see it on the Admissions website....could it be hiding? :)

~madrigail

Hey Class of 2009,
I suggest you do not buy any books yet until you've talked to your big sib and M2-M4s. The reason is because you can always borrow the books from the big sib. We will loan them to you if not pass them down to you. Secondly, Student Academic Support Services will also have books you can check out. Wait to make sure you need them. You will not need any of your MBOD texts probably. I didn't use any except review books. Hope this is a little help to you guys. Have a wonderful Summer! I will give you more suggestions later. Or you can ask me questions directly. Just PM me or something!

I own the Anatomy text, Physical Diagnosis text, The Medical Interview book, Netter, and was loaned the blue book. I only used Netter and the blue book. Save your money for second year texts.

Hey all,

I was wondering if any of you guys who are already at the med school or know the memphis area well could recommend some place to lease an apartment for 2 months or so. Thanks in advance.

Addicted To SDN said:
Hey all,

I was wondering if any of you guys who are already at the med school or know the memphis area well could recommend some place to lease an apartment for 2 months or so. Thanks in advance.

If you are just looking for a short term stay - the dorms are probably the cheapest deal around (less than $1500 for 4 mo. lease), that way you wouldn't have to worry about moving in the middle of the academic year. Or you could check out Phi Chi, I know living there is pretty cheap if they've got open rooms.

Also, M3 + M4 sometimes rent out their apt for a couple of mo. while they do away rotations...

Blair Towers (~2 - 3 blocks from the GEB) does a 3-mo lease - fair amount of med students live there

So I've finally moved down to Memphis and am excited about Med school. I'm living at Riverset on Mud Island and was wondering where is a good place to get decently priced groceries and all that. Any of you got suggestions? Where is a wal mart?