***The Official VCU Dental Class of 2017 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

nicolee4111

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I looked around and pretty sure no one has started it ... so here it is! Good luck everyone :xf::)

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for starting the thread. I applied and I am a non-resident. For anyone that does get an interview, would you mind stating if you are a VA resident or not. And if not a resident, when did they send you an email confirming all your stuff was received. I am anxiously waiting and it's been a month since that email. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received interviews recently? It seems like most schools died down a bit in regards to handing out interviews :-(

Does anyone know if they handed out most of their interviews already? My app has been "complete/under review" on AADSAS for over a month now and still no word from them...do they just take their time or is it that I didn't make the cut? I gotta

P.S. I think I've called twice and each time I got the meanest responses lol..

I got back from my interview. Interview was conducted one on one by two professors. The interview did not seem that tense to me and the faculty was extremely kind. Every VCU staff member was very welcoming, friendly, smiling constantly, and warm.

Statistics that we were told: ~2500 applicants. 300 are interviewed before Dec. 1st. ~90 selected. ~60 instaters and ~30 out of staters. ~9 spots are reserved for D5 students for this cycle. Not all ~90 offers will be sent on Dec. 1st.

I got back from my interview. Interview was conducted one on one by two professors. The interview did not seem that tense to me and the faculty was extremely kind. Every VCU staff member was very welcoming, friendly, smiling constantly, and warm.

Statistics that we were told: ~2500 applicants. 300 are interviewed before Dec. 1st. ~90 selected. ~60 instaters and ~30 out of staters. ~9 spots are reserved for D5 students for this cycle. Not all ~90 offers will be sent on Dec. 1st.

Does that mean post dec interviews = no chance? :(

Does that mean post dec interviews = no chance? :(

There is definitely a chance! Dr. Healy emphasized that he doesn't give away all ~90 offers before Dec. 1st. I specifically remember him saying that he always kept extra seats available to send offers to those other qualified applicants after Dec. 1st. This way it is fair to those who interview post-Dec. 1st. Wouldn't it be rude to interview someone after all 90 offers are sent out? What if those 90 all chose to attend VCU? That's why Dr. Healy intentionally chooses to reserve some of those 90 spots for post-Dec. 1st interviewees.

One more thing to mention. If anyone ends up on the alternate list (wait-list), there is still a good chance that person will be offered a position because the alternate list is made up of only about 10 people. However, they cannot disclose any information about where anyone stands among those 10 people.

Last edited:
My status on AADSAS changed to "invited for interview" on Sep 19. Based on your invitations and interview dates, when do you think the interview will be?

My status on AADSAS changed to "invited for interview" on Sep 19. Based on your invitations and interview dates, when do you think the interview will be?

You can choose when you would like to interview but the earliest I was able to schedule mine was for 9/18, which was about two weeks after I received my AADSAS status update.

Members don't see this ad :)

D5 students? What are they?

D5 students? What are they?

I believe it's called the D 0.5 Program (as in D1, D2... but D0.5). I believe Dr. Healy said that these group of people take less courses than normal D1 students, but they are guaranteed a spot for D1 next year. Basically they spend one extra year compare to normal dental students. The risk of being a D0.5 student is that if you receive C or below in any courses you are automatically dismissed from the program. Hope these info. help to clear things up!

Got my invite on 9/19 too! I'm so excited!

Just waiting to hear what days I can schedule. Good luck to everyone else, be patient!

do you mind sharing your stats and when VCU received your app? :)

On AADSAS my status for VCU says Received/Under Review. Does that mean it's complete or will it change to Received/Complete? It's been that way for over a month so I'm not sure what would be missing. The scores and recs are there.

On AADSAS my status for VCU says Received/Under Review. Does that mean it's complete or will it change to Received/Complete? It's been that way for over a month so I'm not sure what would be missing. The scores and recs are there.

It should say "Application Complete" but sometimes they forget to update AADSAS even though the application is actually complete and your AADSAS says "Under Review."
I would call them to check that they have everything. Just don't harass Mrs. Tweedy.

Hey so are you an out of stater? And were there other out of staters in your interview?

Hey there radical dudes

My AADSASsy says I was invited for an interview, but I haven't received any "electronic mail" confirming it. Should I give them a ring or just wait a day or so?

Hey there radical dudes

My AADSASsy says I was invited for an interview, but I haven't received any "electronic mail" confirming it. Should I give them a ring or just wait a day or so?

My parents got the official letter from VCU with a number to call in order to schedule an interview. When I called, Mrs. Tweedy got my info and said she would mail out my supplemental app and additional forms asap. Hope that helps!

Thanks jmvt, I'll keep an eye out.

How is the supplemental by the way?

for those of you that have already scheduled interviews, what interview dates are currently available?

for those of you that have already scheduled interviews, what interview dates are currently available?

Scheduled mine today and had the choice between Oct 23 and Oct 30.

mind sharing your stat/ when your apps got completed plz?
thank you thank you!

App was completed 8/23. I am in-state with around a 3.5 GPA, 21 AA/20 TS.

mine went from Received/Under Review to Received/Application Complete - apparently on the 25th of September - (I didn't notice this till now) But I still haven't heard a word from them..

what does that mean?

Just scheduled my interview today, AADSAS status changed 9/27, received mail invite yesterday. My interview is Oct 30th! OOS (from NY) oGPA 3.8 sGPA 3.8 DAT 19/19/19. SO nervoussss!

mine went from Received/Under Review to Received/Application Complete - apparently on the 25th of September - (I didn't notice this till now) But I still haven't heard a word from them..

what does that mean?

I got my application complete email today even though everything was complete in july

Just scheduled my interview today, AADSAS status changed 9/27, received mail invite yesterday. My interview is Oct 30th! OOS (from NY) oGPA 3.8 sGPA 3.8 DAT 19/19/19. SO nervoussss!

Congrats!!!

snail mail??

my aadsas status for VCU says Received/Application Complete (vs. "Under Review"). It's said this for a while. Does anyone know what this means?

my aadsas status for VCU says Received/Application Complete (vs. "Under Review"). It's said this for a while. Does anyone know what this means?

wondering the same.. idk if i should call and ask :confused::confused::confused:

Whoops, sorry for the late reply but yep I agree with blondedent; it's just a few questions and a lot of paperwork to fill out.

As for the "Application complete" vs. "Under review", I don't think it really means anything. Either way you'll have to wait it out so sit tight!

I have my interview Monday. Anyone else want to share their interview experiences? It'd be very much appreciated :)

Whoops, sorry for the late reply but yep I agree with blondedent; it's just a few questions and a lot of paperwork to fill out.

As for the "Application complete" vs. "Under review", I don't think it really means anything. Either way you'll have to wait it out so sit tight!

I have my interview Monday. Anyone else want to share their interview experiences? It'd be very much appreciated :)

You arrive and park your car in the garage. Walk to the admissions office. You'll all be seated around a desk in a conference room. Wait for everyone to arrive. You will be given an introduction by Dr. Healy and then half of you will individually go to a separate room for a 30 minute interview. The other half will be writing an essay. Then the two groups switch and the latter group goes to their interviews while the former group makes their way back to the conference room to write their essay. A total of two 30 minute interviews will be conducted and some of you may be done early so you can just chat with the other interviewees. You then are given a tour. Afterwards, you shadow and assist a dental student. Then you return to the conference room and a financial aid spiel will be given to you by VCU's financial advisor. After that's over, you are all divided into groups and assigned to a dental student for lunch, Q&A, and an additional in-depth tour. You return to the conference and are finally given a closing word by Dr. Healy. You pick up a $2.00 parking voucher on your way out at the adjacent hospital. The end.

yup snail mail. And mine said the whole "application complete" too for a few weeks then changed to 'invited for interview'

Is there anyone from out west who has an interview? My status on AADSAS changed to "Invited to interview" on Sept. 27, yet I haven't received the snail mail letter that everyone has been talking about. I am really anxious to get the letter so I can schedule the interview. Did anyone else have this problem?

Is there anyone from out west who has an interview? My status on AADSAS changed to "Invited to interview" on Sept. 27, yet I haven't received the snail mail letter that everyone has been talking about. I am really anxious to get the letter so I can schedule the interview. Did anyone else have this problem?

I just got my interview scheduled today for November 5th! I'm super excited!

You arrive and park your car in the garage. Walk to the admissions office. You'll all be seated around a desk in a conference room. Wait for everyone to arrive. You will be given an introduction by Dr. Healy and then half of you will individually go to a separate room for a 30 minute interview. The other half will be writing an essay. Then the two groups switch and the latter group goes to their interviews while the former group makes their way back to the conference room to write their essay. A total of two 30 minute interviews will be conducted and some of you may be done early so you can just chat with the other interviewees. You then are given a tour. Afterwards, you shadow and assist a dental student. Then you return to the conference room and a financial aid spiel will be given to you by VCU's financial advisor. After that's over, you are all divided into groups and assigned to a dental student for lunch, Q&A, and an additional in-depth tour. You return to the conference and are finally given a closing word by Dr. Healy. You pick up a $2.00 parking voucher on your way out at the adjacent hospital. The end.

You. are. awesome.

Just had my AADSAS changed to invited for interview!

Was not expecting that on a friday night...

Anyone know about what time the interview is supposed to end? Trying to book my flight.

Anyone know about what time the interview is supposed to end? Trying to book my flight.
You get out by 2:30pm at the latest. On my day, our group got out by 2pm because someone had a flight to catch at 4pm.