The official waiting for May 15th thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To quote as wise woman named Madonna: "time goes by so slowly"

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a first generation college student (though I'm only the second, and my parents were the first and only from each of their families to graduate.) but my parents are the same way. They're (a little overly) proud of the smallest things, and wouldn't care in the least if I didn't end up in medicine, for whatever reason. Dad actually told me today that he isn't sure he wants me to get into med school. (How's that for encouragement, lol.) He's just afraid it's going to result in a really hard life overall... But I know they'll support me fully either way. :)

I can't image having pressure from my parents about this, on top of the pressue I put on myself. For those of you who do, just try to remember that not getting in the first time, or even the second or third, is NOT a failure. Just a temporary setback that lots of people go through!

Good luck to you all and always think of the great cause of why you want to become a doctor! It keeps your dream alive.:love:

:beat:.............ohhhh the waiting

Members don't see this ad :)
yup...another waitlister. i am trying to look at the positive side - i am on a waitlist (three actually) and did not get rejected. also, my pre-med advisor told me that, depending on the school, 10-40% of an entering class is filled from the waitlist.

i am anxious to hear where i fall in the waitlist rankings for those schools that do use some sort of tier system (high priority/low priority, etc).

good luck to all...

yup...another waitlister. i am trying to look at the positive side - i am on a waitlist (three actually) and did not get rejected. also, my pre-med advisor told me that, depending on the school, 10-40% of an entering class is filled from the waitlist.

i am anxious to hear where i fall in the waitlist rankings for those schools that do use some sort of tier system (high priority/low priority, etc).

good luck to all...

I keep thinking I'm gonna fall into the bottom one and alas, kiss the dream for the year goodbye. It's a depressing thought to be in the 60-90% that doesn't get in. Sorry to be a downer, just that sorta day.

I keep thinking I'm gonna fall into the bottom one and alas, kiss the dream for the year goodbye. It's a depressing thought to be in the 60-90% that doesn't get in. Sorry to be a downer, just that sorta day.

i'm right there with you. waiting is complete torture, and i worry that in the end it'll all be in vain. seriously, when i wake up in the morning, upon the first moment of consciouness, i start to stress out.

i know, i just need a little bit of perspective, someone to tell me that i will get through whatever life hands me. so anyway...

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE, i'm really rooting for you all, and hopefully we'll all get rewarded for our passion and patience =)

Well look at you gunners, all sad with your 3 waitlists...try one waitlist with no acceptances and a severe case of parents who think your a total failure to the family...

...ya jerks.

ah, how sad that your family makes you feel like a failure. don't let parents and society pressure you into thinking that you're less than complete. getting interviews and waitlisted to med school is a huge accomplishment!!

Well look at you gunners, all sad with your 3 waitlists...try one waitlist with no acceptances and a severe case of parents who think your a total failure to the family...
I think having an application that earns you even a place on a waitlist is a success. Sure, it means having to try again next year or whatever you choose but it means you are smart, hard working and have no reason not to be successful in your life be it medicine or elsewhere. Even having only rejections and a solid application shows that a person is top notch and will be a "success" somewhere in his/her life. Gosh I couldn't live with myself as a parent if that is how I'd come across to my daughters.

I'm on UNMs waitlist as well. Good luck at Dartmouth!

Rachmon, I will make you a deal. If you can send some good vibes my way and get me off of the waitlist at Dartmouth, I in turn will relinquish my UNM acceptance to you....Sound Good??? :) JK!

But best of luck to you with the waitlist movement at UNM. I think it is an awesome school and the price is definitely right. :cool:

I think everyone should definately chill out. I'm on a waitlist and a reapp and if I don't get in this time around either, I'm gonna go live somewhere fun and reapply. Most of the doctors I've worked with have said they wished they had done spent some time before they went to school to have fun. Sure I get frustrated---but if I look back over the last couple of years and think of the things I would have missed out on had I been in school, it scary.

Go have fun, travel, be lazy, meet people, have some relations/ships----FIND YOURSELF. Age is just a number

I think everyone should definately chill out. I'm on a waitlist and a reapp and if I don't get in this time around either, I'm gonna go live somewhere fun and reapply. Most of the doctors I've worked with have said they wished they had done spent some time before they went to school to have fun. Sure I get frustrated---but if I look back over the last couple of years and think of the things I would have missed out on had I been in school, it scary.

Go have fun, travel, be lazy, meet people, have some relations/ships----FIND YOURSELF. Age is just a number

i totally agree! :thumbup:

of course if they let me in, i'm not saying i wouldn't go...:p

Members don't see this ad :)
holafarita, you have a very solid app it seems.

Just wondering if you applied late, and how many
interviews have you received??

holafarita, you have a very solid app it seems.

Just wondering if you applied late, and how many
interviews have you received??

hey Re3iRtH, i did apply late, around november/december...basically deadline. :thumbdown: i didn't know it was such a big deal (you'd think i would, the second time around).

i got two interviews on march 27 and april 16, also late.

good luck! around this time next week, the wait (or at least this round of the wait :rolleyes: ) will be theoretically over.

So..................I was just wondering..................does the waitlist for schools begin like, RIGHT on the 15th???????????? Or does it tend to have a grace period of two days after this sacred date?

Just wondering, since I'm going to be traveling :D

So..................I was just wondering..................does the waitlist for schools begin like, RIGHT on the 15th???????????? Or does it tend to have a grace period of two days after this sacred date?

May 15 is the day that students have to accept/decline their acceptances. I assume it would take some time to get the waitlist moving. Depending on how schools work their waitlist (eg. if it's ranked or not), the wait times may vary.

I just wanted to give you guys a leap of hope because I'm sending in my letter declining my acceptances at all but one school. I want to appologize for holding out so long, but it was tough to make the decision as I wanted to go to all the schools!

GOOD LUCK GUYS! and keep your heads up!

It depends on the school. Of the 3 schools I'm on waitlists at, all 2 do not officially rank their waitlists until the 15th, the 3rd is rumored to be sending out a large batch of acceptances on the 15th or 16th.

May 15 is the day that students have to accept/decline their acceptances. I assume it would take some time to get the waitlist moving. Depending on how schools work their waitlist (eg. if it's ranked or not), the wait times may vary.

i just find it weird that those of us who interviewed late and have not been waitlisted (haven't heard anything at ALL) are still waiting for may 15 too. are only some of us waiting? does this mean we weren't good enough to accept outright, but they haven't bothered to waitlist us yet? or is it just crunch time and there's too much going on for the adcoms to process?

sigh. :rolleyes:

i just find it weird that those of us who interviewed late and have not been waitlisted (haven't heard anything at ALL) are still waiting for may 15 too. are only some of us waiting? does this mean we weren't good enough to accept outright, but they haven't bothered to waitlist us yet? or is it just crunch time and there's too much going on for the adcoms to process?

sigh. :rolleyes:

I think it might be crunch time. It took me 6 weeks to hear back from a school where I interviewed in late March. But in early February it only took a school 3 weeks to get back to me. I guess it depends on how many applications they have and how fast they can go through them.

It must be crunch time--I've been on five waitlists since Oct/Dec and I've gotten two rejections in the past couple of days. C'mon, wait till the 15th to reject me at least! Well, I'll hold out for a few more days. Good luck to everyone!

the school i was waitlisted at won't move anyone until well into June. However I will be overseas from very early June until end of JUly. That school starts in early August. I'd like to know my "status" (get off the WL or not) before I leave (ie couple weeks before the "official" WL notifications are sent out).

Anyone know if some schools give out early letters/notifications of such?

the school i was waitlisted at won't move anyone until well into June. However I will be overseas from very early June until end of JUly. That school starts in early August. I'd like to know my "status" (get off the WL or not) before I leave (ie couple weeks before the "official" WL notifications are sent out).

Anyone know if some schools give out early letters/notifications of such?

I've never heard of a school giving out early notifications for travelers. You get off the waitlist when they want to take you off and there's no way to convince them to do it sooner. I could be wrong though, so maybe some other SDNers will correct me. If you're going to be traveling, make sure the schools have a number where you can be reached. Or assign a proxy (like a parent) to speak to the schools on your behalf.

we are only one day away from May 15th!

One day left only! I am getting more and more nervous!

Good luck to all of us. I hope we all get good news at the end of this week/early next week.

One day left only! I am getting more and more nervous!

How quickly do you think schools will notify?
Is our May 15th date artificial (i.e., could it take them another week or two to make waitlist decisions and then notify?)

What if we're waiting for May 15, just as a landmark for more waiting? :( Aughhhh.

How quickly do you think schools will notify?
Is our May 15th date artificial (i.e., could it take them another week or two to make waitlist decisions and then notify?)

What if we're waiting for May 15, just as a landmark for more waiting? :( Aughhhh.

I think this is true depending upon the school. After looking at a lot of last year's class threads, some kids were accepted on the 13th, 14th, and 15th.

Two schools that I personally talked to said they usually let the acceptance spots build up and then just accept a whole bunch of people "in the middle of june".

I don't know, but the uncertainty of it makes it worse! We might get good news tomorrow or Wednesday...or June, July, August...From what I understand, it depends on whether or not the school ranks its waitlist, among other factors. :confused:

I think this is true depending upon the school. After looking at a lot of last year's class threads, some kids were accepted on the 13th, 14th, and 15th.

Two schools that I personally talked to said they usually let the acceptance spots build up and then just accept a whole bunch of people "in the middle of june".

I agree. The schools I am WLd at told me that I could hear anytime from the 15th to the day of matriculation. So it's a tough call.

I agree. The schools I am WLd at told me that I could hear anytime from the 15th to the day of matriculation. So it's a tough call.

I personally LOVE this response! Ah well, I'm more focused on reapplying right now, so that's a nice 'distraction.'

Just saw this thread today, but I was surprised on Friday, May 11 to recieve an email from VCU saying that I had been moved off the waitlist to acceptance status.

So, yeah, some of the schools obviously start moving the waitlist before May 15. I just wonder how long it will be before I hear anything from Jefferson.

Regardless, I am incredibly happy.

Just saw this thread today, but I was surprised on Friday, May 11 to recieve an email from VCU saying that I had been moved off the waitlist to acceptance status.

So, yeah, some of the schools obviously start moving the waitlist before May 15. I just wonder how long it will be before I hear anything from Jefferson.

I'm waiting on jefferson too. Medschoolfool when you got your jeff waitlist letter did it say a certain alternate "category" you were in? mine said i was placed in a "high priority category" but there was no explaination of what that meant and i'm from far away so i don't know anyone else applying there. jefferson is my first so i hope they start moving fast.

Congrats! :luck: all.

i wish more schools did this. it's unfortunate how they make us go through some major stress unnecessarily. :thumbdown:

congrats!!! :thumbup: it's silly, but hearing these things somehow gives me hope. :oops:

May 15th does not apply to D.O schools right?

Just a quick, last minute question. I have one acceptance and am waitlisted at 2 schools I would rather go to. If I were to to be accepted to one of these schools would I then have a certain amount of time to decide/let the school I am accepted at know that I am going to decline their offer?

Just a quick, last minute question. I have one acceptance and am waitlisted at 2 schools I would rather go to. If I were to to be accepted to one of these schools would I then have a certain amount of time to decide/let the school I am accepted at know that I am going to decline their offer?

as a follow-up to that...i just got a call that i got off of one of my waitlists (!!!), but i was so excited and emotional that i forgot to ask if this means i have to decide by tomorrow...i will call both schools tomorrow to see if they can give me an extra week or so to decide, but does anyone know what the protocol is if you get in the day before the 15th? it doesn't seem fair to make someone decide in one day...right?

as a follow-up to that...i just got a call that i got off of one of my waitlists (!!!), but i was so excited and emotional that i forgot to ask if this means i have to decide by tomorrow...i will call both schools tomorrow to see if they can give me an extra week or so to decide, but does anyone know what the protocol is if you get in the day before the 15th? it doesn't seem fair to make someone decide in one day...right?

Technically after May 15th they don't have to give you any time to decide at all if they don't want to. Fair or not...

Call both schools and see how much time they want to give you, but think fast and try to get a financial aid estimate from the waitlist school if thats important to you.

Overall, people should really have an idea in their head of what they would pick over what and the financial aid thresholds to make them pick a different one. That way when you get off a waitlist after May 15th you can make an immediate choice if necessary.

Is it true that if you don't pick up your phone they will move on to the next person? That seems a little ridiculous. I have class from 9-4 and I can't pick up my phone except on my lunch break. Is this something I should tell the schools about or am I just being paranoid?

Is it true that if you don't pick up your phone they will move on to the next person? That seems a little ridiculous. I have class from 9-4 and I can't pick up my phone except on my lunch break. Is this something I should tell the schools about or am I just being paranoid?

i can't imagine that being the case. would be a very cruel act indeed. did you hear this about a certain school? or maybe you're friends (if you heard if from them) are playing a joke on you? :oops:

Hopefully this means that my wait will be over soon.

Hopefully we'll get something nice under the tree decorated with applications, waitlist notices and rejection letters. :D

This actually happened to my friend's cousin's next door neighbor. He was on HMS waitlist, but missed the call. The next year because he was a re-applicant, he couldn't get in anywhere, and does insurance sales for State Farm now.

It's not paranoia actually, because Buffalo does this post June 15th, they even sent and e-mail explicitly stating that if they can't get to you by phone when they call they continue down the waitlist. They don't have to just get to you though, it said you could leave numbers for parents, etc. for them to call.

This obviously varies by school, and even UB doesn't start doing this hardcore skipping thing until June 15th.