*** The Official WesternU College of Dental Medicine Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
During my interview I asked the faculty interviewing me and they said although students dont do the actual implant they help with the pre/post op. honestly reading the responses to my post makes me feel like I completely misjudged the school because I was having a bad day. it was raining the day of my interview and I was running on 2 hours of sleep. also the only other school I've been to has been USC so I was comparing the two instead of trying to see the good in both. your response was very eye opening and gives me a lot to think about, so that you for taking the time to clear up some things.
I don't know you but I feel like if I met you we'd get along just fine. I respect that you were able to step back and think about how you were feeling that day and that you may have missed some of the positives about the school based on your mood/the weather after just reading two responses from other people. We need more people like you in the world, and even just in these forums!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
During my interview I asked the faculty interviewing me and they said although students dont do the actual implant they help with the pre/post op. honestly reading the responses to my post makes me feel like I completely misjudged the school because I was having a bad day. it was raining the day of my interview and I was running on 2 hours of sleep. also the only other school I've been to has been USC so I was comparing the two instead of trying to see the good in both. your response was very eye opening and gives me a lot to think about, so that you for taking the time to clear up some things.

So do the students learn to do implants or not?

they dont have a clinic on campus so you start traveling the 3/4th year when you start seeing patients.

This is absolutely false as well. The dental clinic is on the 3rd floor of the building attached to the parking garage at the Far East end of campus, just neighboring the other side of the dental school where the sim lab is housed. It’s right off of Towne Ave if you look on a map. D3’s have one rotation outside of campus where they spend 7 weeks somewhere in SoCal, anywhere from LA to Palm Springs. The rest of the time is seeing patients daily in clinic on campus.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So do the students learn to do implants or not?

from what I understood, they do not actually place implants, they just learn the prep an implant... does that clarify anything ? sorry im confused myself, seems like I misunderstood alot of things

This is absolutely false as well. The dental clinic is on the 3rd floor of the building attached to the parking garage at the Far East end of campus, just neighboring the other side of the dental school where the sim lab is housed. It’s right off of Towne Ave if you look on a map. D3’s have one rotation outside of campus where they spend 7 weeks somewhere in SoCal, anywhere from LA to Palm Springs. The rest of the time is seeing patients daily in clinic on campus.

again, they didnt show us that and told us we would be off campus the 3rd and 4th year... I apologize for misunderstanding, thanks for clarifying that. seems like I really misunderstood alot about this school, I wish I wouldn't have judged it so quickly and enjoyed my time there more

Did anyone receive an acceptance today? I received multiple calls from the same Los Angeles number. Only beeping on the other line whenever I picked up and busy tones whenever I called back.

their number starts with area code 909... is that what you got a call from ?

their number starts with area code 909... is that what you got a call from ?

Nope, it was a 908 number. I recalled hearing that Dr. Turchi made the acceptance calls, so I thought that MAYBE it would have been with his personal phone/not a school phone.

Thanks!

I interviewed a couple days ago and they said they probably won't call until after the last interview day, which is this coming Friday.

For anyone that interviewed, did you write your interviewers a thank you email/handwritten card? I have some cards I would like to give whoever interviews me but I’m not too sure if they have mailboxes on campus so it would get to them.

For anyone that interviewed, did you write your interviewers a thank you email/handwritten card? I have some cards I would like to give whoever interviews me but I’m not too sure if they have mailboxes on campus so it would get to them.

I sent a thank you email.

again, they didnt show us that and told us we would be off campus the 3rd and 4th year... I apologize for misunderstanding, thanks for clarifying that. seems like I really misunderstood alot about this school, I wish I wouldn't have judged it so quickly and enjoyed my time there more
I was there for the tour of the clinic on feb 1 and the interview on feb 2. Did you not attend the clinic tour on feb 1...? Also if you go on their page and read their mission and learn more about the program, maybe you will understand more about the 3rd and 4th year off campus deal! I assume you didnt understand it correctly when they explained it during the presentation, but that opportunity for D3 and D4 students are actually amazing opportunity for them to have real world experience in a clinic instead of being in the comfort zone of the school’s clinic. Not many schools offer that opportunity incorporated in their curriculum. I know colorado does that only for D4 students. The fact that western starts it with D3 is amazing. Just wanted to explain to you a bit more about the purpose of their curriculum!

Members don't see this ad :)
After your interview, send an email to your admissions counselor and they will give you the email address of your faculty interviewer and the address (to send a handwritten letter if you wanted). They can’t give out student emails but if you send your thank you email for the student inteviewer to your admissions counselor, they can forward it to them for you.

I was there for the tour of the clinic on feb 1 and the interview on feb 2. Did you not attend the clinic tour on feb 1...? Also if you go on their page and read their mission and learn more about the program, maybe you will understand more about the 3rd and 4th year off campus deal! I assume you didnt understand it correctly when they explained it during the presentation, but that opportunity for D3 and D4 students are actually amazing opportunity for them to have real world experience in a clinic instead of being in the comfort zone of the school’s clinic. Not many schools offer that opportunity incorporated in their curriculum. I know colorado does that only for D4 students. The fact that western starts it with D3 is amazing. Just wanted to explain to you a bit more about the purpose of their curriculum!

no I have class until 3 2 hours away on Fridays so I wasn't able to attend that :(
thank you so much for this info, the more responses I get the more I realize I completely misjudged the school/ program. I really appreciate you taking the time to clarify this for me

did anyone's interviewer respond to their thank you email? is it normal if they do not?

Haha, we DO have a clinic. It's quite nice, and gosh, I'd hate to not have a clinic and travel everywhere to treat patients... I'm a D3, so let me explain. During 3rd and 4th year, we have to go on rotation two times. Each rotation is a 7 week externship.

We do go off-site once every 2 weeks to whatever school-based oral health center we're assigned to and treat pediatric patients. Otherwise, we're in clinic from 8am-5pm.

Last edited:
Haha, we DO have a clinic. It's quite nice, and gosh, I'd hate to not have a clinic and travel everywhere to treat patients... I'm a D3, so let me explain. During 3rd and 4th year, we have to go on rotation two times. Each rotation is a 7 week externship.

We do go off-site once every 2 weeks to whatever school-based oral health center we're assigned to and treat pediatric patients. Otherwise, we're in clinic from 8am-5pm.
Lmaooo I love your username.

is it safe to say we are rejected if we haven't been invited to interview yet?

Reactions: 2 users
After your interview, send an email to your admissions counselor and they will give you the email address of your faculty interviewer and the address (to send a handwritten letter if you wanted). They can’t give out student emails but if you send your thank you email for the student inteviewer to your admissions counselor, they can forward it to them for you.
The student I had gave me her email lol and we emailed after the interview

Did anyone that already applied to Western Univ. get an email from them recruiting you to apply recently? Seems that submitting my application and giving them a lot of money to 'review' my application would've been enough to let them know that I was (at one time) interested in attending their dental school.

Last edited:
Has anyone that already applied to Western Univ. get an email from them recruiting you to apply recently? Seems that submitting my application and giving them a lot of money to 'review' my application would've been enough to let them know that I was (at one time) interested in attending their dental school.

I got an odd email from them this morning, but I really don't know what they are saying! They want more information about me (like my birthday and home address) but my application has all of this information already!

I got an odd email from them this morning, but I really don't know what they are saying! They want more information about me (like my birthday and home address) but my application has all of this information already!

I got that same email. I'm not sure what it means seeing how previous posts on this thread said that the last interview date was Feb 8th. All the information on the email was the same as my application. Does anyone know yet if they filled the class?

I got that same email. I'm not sure what it means seeing how previous posts on this thread said that the last interview date was Feb 8th. All the information on the email was the same as my application. Does anyone know yet if they filled the class?
I got that email too even though I had an interview 2/2. At my interview they said there were 15 spots left

I got that email too even though I had an interview 2/2. At my interview they said there were 15 spots left

wait they did???? I did not hear this.... they interviewed like 120 people that day + probably 100-120 more on the 8th..... just for 15 spots?? thats crazy chances of getting in are so low for those of us who interviewed

wait they did???? I did not hear this.... they interviewed like 120 people that day + probably 100-120 more on the 8th..... just for 15 spots?? thats crazy chances of getting in are so low for those of us who interviewed
Yes they said that before the students had the Q&A and we were eating lunch. I think her name was Nicole the one who said it

I interviewed on the 8th and there was about 20 of us. But I heard from another person who was interviewing that he had asked and they told him a little over half of the class was full. So I’m not sure which is true...

I interviewed on the 8th and there was about 20 of us. But I heard from another person who was interviewing that he had asked and they told him a little over half of the class was full. So I’m not sure which is true...
Did they say when you would hear back?

according to the previous years trends, sometime this week

I heard someone say by Thursday at the interview, but if it’s like previous years then maybe a couple days earlier?

Rejected without interview just now 2/11

Reactions: 1 users
Rejected without interview just now 2/11

Rejected without an interview!

I guess last Friday was really the last interview day. They’re now rejecting people who have not interviewed.

I guess it's safe to say everyone who didn't get an interview at this point has been rejected and WesternU's cycle is officially closed. [Edit: I also received the rejection email.] I only live 10 minutes away, but I'm not sad because I feel I got into the best school that is right for me in the end. Sorry to everyone else who had their hearts set on coming to WesternU. I know quite a few students there and of any trend I noticed, many of them are reapplicants and many had to add more academically in order to get a chance to interview. They do have an MSMS program that guarantees an interview and from talking to other students, every pre-dental student in the program ended up getting into the school successfully afterward. Plus, many of the classes transfer such as Head & Neck Anatomy so you can stress a little less your D1 year.

Reactions: 4 users
Also rejected without interview. Good luck to those of you still waiting!

Also rejected without interview, I wish everyone luck the rest of the cycle!

Does western reject w interview or does everyone go on the wait list?

Also rejected without interview

At least I got the email saying they received my name from my strong DAT score!

Status
Not open for further replies.