The OFFICIAL what's up with Wash U?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, I have been curious as to if there were a bunch of acceptances since my interview and I was jus tleft out... it seems to me that they have been pretty quiet except for waitlists. Has anybody ehard of an acceptance since Feb when they said there were 50 left?

Members don't see this ad.

My wait list letter said that the Dean expects 50 people will be taken from the wait list before the start of orientation in August. It seems ironic, to say the least, that those of us who interviewed later in the season were informed that there were 50 spots left. Could there really be 250-300 people accepted AND 50 additional people taken from the wait list later on? That seems like A LOT of withdrawals from a fantastic school to fill their class of 120!

Okay, as a disclaimer, all of this info. is based on the last couple of years, but I doubt Wash U's admission policies have changed that substantially.

They generally reject VERY FEW people post-interview. The majority of interviewed applicants end up on the waitlist. However, they have accepted close to 40% of their class off of the waitlist in previous years. The waitlist is unranked, and letters indicating interest in attending can significantly improve your chances of being accepted off of the waitlist.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good point KDMD and I would have to agree with you on that one. There were rumors clearly swirling that the class was already full at WashU. I think that Wash U has a lower retention rate than other comparable schools, however, due to its location in the midwest. People would rather pick a coast than be stuck in the middle. Personally, I would take them irregardless!

Well for what its worth, I'll tell ya if I get in or not, because it seems I didn't get waitlisted. That would probably shine some light on the procedures.

That would be awesome! Cross your fingers and hope for the big envelope!

I'm with you, ValleyGirl. They are a great school, and I think I have realized that I have to look at programs, not just location.

Gainer--Good luck, we're cheering for you :clap:
Keep us wait-listed people posted.

agreed!

btw, are you guys going to be so anal as to call the office today or should i sit on my haunches for the letter to come?? :confused:

Currently deciding that myself.

I don't see any harm in calling, other than maybe a bad weekend if I hear bad things....

on the other hand there may be no point in calling today either....

gainer...they might be meeting all day today...who knows! i think i might call tomorrow as i like to interact with people in med school admissions offices as little as possible and hate hearing i have to call back.

hmmm... could be... but these are doctors, they HAVE to have better things to do then talk about us!

Maybe I will call tonight and when I hear "no decision", I'll tell ya, then when you hear it tommorrow you can tell me. :p

Still "no decision has been made yet."

hehe this waiting is gonna kill me.... I just know it.

Although I am now wondering if I just interviewed too late for them to actually review my app yet..... guess time will tell.

Well I got the mail today, and found my first post-interview rejection. It was postmarked 3/26, so waitlists aren't the only things they have sent out recently. Well good luck to the rest of you. Another surrogate first choice down the drain for me :(.

Members don't see this ad :)
me too--I think things tend to work out for the best, though, so keep your chin up and stay positive!

I finally got in touch with a friend of mine who's a first year. He said he thinks about 25-30 people in his class were originally on the waitlist. So, maybe the number 50 makes sense (50 from the waitlist eventually given spots, and 25-30 of those matriculated?).

Yeah, when I was interviewing a LOT of the people who were talking with us came off the waitlist.

So, here's my question: if no decision was made yesterday at 5pm (their time), when do you guys think I'll find out? I mean, is it even possible to be accepted at this point?

BUMP (just in case anybody gets any news this weekend)

alright gainer, i'm callin now. i'll post as soon as i'm done.

ok this is what was said:

"hi i am calling to see my status..."

"you are still under review...so that is something like a waitlist, and a letter went out today telling you what to do."

YIPPEE, THEY HAVEN'T REJECTED ME YET!

omg i can't believe i'm triple posting. so so sorry. just wanted to see if anyone knew how many people actually are on the waitlist...

I emailed the admissions office after receiving my wait list letter...they do not rank the list, and they do not release the number of people assigned to the waitlist--I would imagine it might be as high as 350-400 people.

Keep your hopes up!

Damn, so I am left till Monday still not sure whats going on with my app.

Well, at least now I know not to keep my hopes up and to just expect a waitlist...

keep the faith gainer!!! best of luck!

hehe thanks.

Alright, I'll keep on thinking I got in.....
Guess its the best I can do anyways.....
besides, I have already lost any dignity that is possible to lose to the other adcoms out there (especially Duke). :p

I found out I got waitlisted yesterday.