The Official "Where are you going next year?" Thread (Fall 2010)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MiJac- Yes, I will be notifying APU today with my decline. So, another spot should be opening up shortly. Best of luck :)

Thx!! and congrats on your admission decision!

Members don't see this ad.

Oklahoma State Counseling Psychology! Anyone going in the fall or know more about the program?

I will be attending Alliant Int. UNiversity/California School of Prof Psychology in Los Angeles in the fall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be attending Florida Tech's Clinical Psychology PsyD program.

:biglove: After I find my way to the post office, I'm officially going to FIT, too!

Yah future cohort buddy!

I can now say that I am going to the University of Alabama (clinical psych Ph.D.) next year! I will be in the Psych-Law concentration. Anyone else??

I was offered admission after having accepted at another great program, and after making the most difficult decision of my life (literally!), I decided to go to Alabama.

HELLO OUT THERE! :laugh: (this is my first post)

I'm having a hard time choosing between two institutions and programs, Palo Alto University's Ph.D. and The Wright Institute Psy.D. programs.
I like how Palo Alto University emphasizes a equal amount on the practitioner and research while also have classes for those interested in health psychology (which I'm highly interested in pursuing). On the other hand, I feel more at home and ease at the Wright Institute and understand that they have their HIPTIP (I think that's how it's spelled) experience where they follow medical practitioners around, which is something I HIGHLY interested in.

I am very torn :confused:. I also would like to know if any current students have information on the APA internship acceptance rates for both schools. Any opinions? I would love any help and honesty (whether it is good :thumbup: or bad :thumbdown:). Thanks everyone and CONGRATS to all the hard work for all the recent applicants :D !!!!

I'm having a hard time choosing between two institutions and programs, Palo Alto University's Ph.D. and The Wright Institute Psy.D. programs.
I like how Palo Alto University emphasizes a equal amount on the practitioner and research while also have classes for those interested in health psychology (which I'm highly interested in pursuing). On the other hand, I feel more at home and ease at the Wright Institute and understand that they have their HIPTIP (I think that's how it's spelled) experience where they follow medical practitioners around, which is something I HIGHLY interested in.

I am very torn :confused:. I also would like to know if any current students have information on the APA internship acceptance rates for both schools. Any opinions? I would love any help and honesty (whether it is good :thumbup: or bad :thumbdown:). Thanks everyone and CONGRATS to all the hard work for all the recent applicants :D !!!!

Which one provides more funding?

Hi Peachie!
I interviewed at Wright as well. I enjoyed the program, but I was a little disappointed with being told point blank that I would most likely have to move out of the Bay Area to find an APA internship... The percentages for AAPIC and APA are kind of low (like 50%-60%). My interviewer told me that the number is closer to 80% for those students who are willing to leave the Bay Area.. I know nothing about Palo Alto's program, but those are my two cents on Wright!

Good Luck :)

Thanks Nicu4leo! They told me the same thing and I'm okay with moving out of the bay for APA internship. I appreciate the information!

after much flip-flopping and endless anxiety i have finally decided and i know where i am going to school next year...

Adelphi Clinical PhD program!

:laugh:

It's the Wright Institute for me. I just accepted their invitation yesterday, and have a great feeling about getting started there. Turning down the New School and the opportunity to return to my beloved NYC was something I'd never imagined doing when I was single, but now I simply have to do what will subject my family to the least amount of uncertainty and risk. Ah, well... Maybe internship and post doc can happen in NYC! Gotta keep the dream alive.

It's the Wright Institute for me. I just accepted their invitation yesterday, and have a great feeling about getting started there. Turning down the New School and the opportunity to return to my beloved NYC was something I'd never imagined doing when I was single, but now I simply have to do what will subject my family to the least amount of uncertainty and risk. Ah, well... Maybe internship and post doc can happen in NYC! Gotta keep the dream alive.

Congrats! Perhaps I'll see you there when I make my decision.

Members don't see this ad :)

Congrats!

I am deciding between BYU clinical or ASU counseling. Any advise? :confused:

great choice!

I can now say that I am going to the University of Alabama (clinical psych Ph.D.) next year! I will be in the Psych-Law concentration. Anyone else??

I was offered admission after having accepted at another great program, and after making the most difficult decision of my life (literally!), I decided to go to Alabama.

I will be at UA for the geropsych concentration! So excited! :D

The Wright Institute seems to have a strong clinical training, but the research was quite minimal. They also have a very low APA-acred. rate....though I think a lot of that has to do with their typical student (on average they are older, established in the Bay area, and unwilling to relocate).

As for Palo Alto....it's reputation has improved since they became APA-acred. (had to grad. a class before they could get it), though it will be just as hard to secure an APA-acred. in CA.

The Wright Institute seems to have a strong clinical training, but the research was quite minimal. They also have a very low APA-acred. rate....though I think a lot of that has to do with their typical student (on average they are older, established in the Bay area, and unwilling to relocate).

As for Palo Alto....it's reputation has improved since they became APA-acred. (had to grad. a class before they could get it), though it will be just as hard to secure an APA-acred. in CA.

I don't know a lot about the Wright except that I live in the Bay Area and my previous roommate was in their program and I know someone who is now in their first year. Both seem very satisfied with the program but they are both clinically oriented folks and not so interested in research. There are quite a few students who are older and have families or other responsibilities and as T4C said might be unwilling or unable to relocate. plus the Bay Area is very hard to leave!

:thumbup: Thanks T4C. Your info was precise and to the point. I'm settling with the idea that most likely I will be having to relocate either way. For me I get the idea that there would be more opportunities open for me with a Ph.D. rather than a Psy.D. (this is not saying that a Ph.D. is better than a Psy.D., just more open doors). However, I'm not very interested in research, but understand that Palo Alto emphasizes equal importance in their clinical as much as their research. Any comments?

Hey all!
is anyone else on here attending Alliant (Los Angeles) in the fall for the clinical psyd?
Id love to meet someone who will be in my cohort :)

Oh wow. Everybody's going to great places. I am so happy this long process is over. Can't really wrap my head around it yet ;)
Congratulations to all! I hope you'll be a bunch of very happy first-years (and beyond) :clap:

I went to PA this weekend and found a place to live! I am not going to be homeless! :clap:

great. did you sign a lease? when you are moving?

I signed, but I am waiting to go though the whole credit check thing. So it is not official official yet. I had to sign a lease that starts June 15th in order to get the place, but I don't plan on moving up that early. I was thinking of moving in July or August, but I really depends on the Hubby finding a job. So I don't have all the puzzle pieces yet, but I am getting closer! :rolleyes:

t4c said:
As a former East-Coaster....at first the Midwest will feel like Bizzaro World because everyone is nice to you, like REALLY nice to you. The drivers aren't as erratic, the pace of life is comfortable, and things are oddly civil. I'm an official convert now, and I don't think I'll ever move back to the East Coast, but it definitely was an adjustment socially. Places close down early, mid-week nightlife is generally non-existant, and don't laugh when you see advertisements for Corn Festivals, Tractor Pulls, and Motocross. I actually attended both a Corn Festival and Motocross event, and they were a blast! I haven't seen a tractor pull yet, but I did find a place that does curling (seriously). Things seem much more family friend out here too, but if you are single, everyone seemed to get hitched by 19-20. While some of this may sound tongue in cheek, the Midwest really can be an awesome place to live, though some of my friends still don't believe me that I'm staying.

Okay, I'll agree with you on some of this stuff. But, having been born and raised in the Midest, I have to say it depends on exactly where you're living. I've lived many places in the Midwst, and I have not known people to get married any earlier than in other parts of the country. I think that getting married young is more related to the size of a community. People from smaller, rural towns throughout the US tend to get married earlier. . . I have to agree with you on corn festivals and tractor pulls and the night life. : )

Shoot, I wish I'd see this thread sooner! Where does Louisville, KY fall into this Midwest framework? (Seems like there's some debate on whether it's South versus Midwest.) I'm a New England East Coaster, but I'm a huge fan of politeness/niceness among strangers and I'm too lame to party much late at night. If anything, I'm more worried about having to restrain myself if I hear any heavy neocon or religious rhetoric in public areas. Should I be concerned about my iconoclastic tendencies? ;)

I cannot, for the life of me choose where to go. I have 8 choices, but they are hard to choose between. i applied to them because I liked them all. I never thought I would be in this boat.

Plus, they are all so expensive!

I am having trouble deciding between APU and Fuller :(

I know I was so set on APU because of the Christian doctrine they follow but the downside to their program is that they offer only the PsyD. Honestly, the only reason I would go to Fuller is for the PhD other than that their program didn't win me over or anything.

For those who applied to both PhD and PsyD programs and received offers from both, which one did you chose and why?

I signed, but I am waiting to go though the whole credit check thing. So it is not official official yet. I had to sign a lease that starts June 15th in order to get the place, but I don't plan on moving up that early. I was thinking of moving in July or August, but I really depends on the Hubby finding a job. So I don't have all the puzzle pieces yet, but I am getting closer! :rolleyes:

Thanks. I am trying to figure out how soon to go and find an apt. Of course, I want to find one as soon as possible but I can't afford to pay double rent for long. For job & other reasons, I can't permanently relocate until August but I was thinking of going in late June to find something. Actually, a June 15th lease, considering it's April, doesn't sound too bad. Was that typical or did some landlords want you to sign April leases?

Thanks. I am trying to figure out how soon to go and find an apt. Of course, I want to find one as soon as possible but I can't afford to pay double rent for long. For job & other reasons, I can't permanently relocate until August but I was thinking of going in late June to find something. Actually, a June 15th lease, considering it's April, doesn't sound too bad. Was that typical or did some landlords want you to sign April leases?

I could have gotten an August lease somewhere else if I wanted to. It is a college town, so it is not unusual to do that. But all of the good places for the fall were taken back in November/December (very different real estate market), so even though it is April, and it seems early, it was slim pickin's by the time I got there. I was really lucky to get the place I found. And I actually would have ended up paying more for a less-than-nice place if I got the August lease somewhere else. So in the end it is actually cheaper.

I would strongly suggest finding out what the real estate market is like in Philly. I found out the hard way that places can be vastly different than where you currently live. Surprisingly, the State College market is a bit like NY in that there is a high demand for housing and a limited amount of it, so finding a good place, for a reasonable price, is like a game that takes a lot of work. So it would be good to know ahead of time what kind of market you are moving to so you don't end up with slim pickin's like me.

EDIT: Oh, and I will say since there is a high demand for housing, the companies don't really have to advertise much, so most places don't have websites and the ones that do have them have pretty crappy ones. So Craig's List was a godsend! I highly recommend using it to the fullest!

Hofstra it is. Now to start the apartment search. :)

Hofstra it is. Now to start the apartment search. :)

Do you mind PMing me who you will be working with? I'm on the waitlist there and I am about to give up hope, even though they said I was a high priority waitlist. Anyway, I would appreciate it a lot, thanks!!

Does anyone else feel like a 'lame duck' at work? Ever since I made my decision, I feel like I need to work realllly hard to stay motivated at my research job. I like my job but I feel like my heart is just not totally in it b/c I'm so excited to move and start school (and b/c I know I only have 2 more months here!).

Just wondering if it's just me...

Does anyone else feel like a 'lame duck' at work? Ever since I made my decision, I feel like I need to work realllly hard to stay motivated at my research job. I like my job but I feel like my heart is just not totally in it b/c I'm so excited to move and start school (and b/c I know I only have 2 more months here!).

Ditto on every point.

My daily activities include: checking facebook. Checking SDN (although looks like people are starting to post less and less... so keep it up and give me something to read please). On craiglist looking for an apartment and contacting people, which leads to a somewhat common response: "can you move earlier, August is too late for me." (I know it's early, but I like looking for apartments). Back to Facebook. Helping the girlfriend find a job in Kansas City. Reading CNN and Washington Post. Maybe a little DCist plus a few mindless sites like TFLN, FML, Passive Aggressive Notes. I check my Bank account and wonder where all my money went (that's right, applications). And finally, I stare at the piles of articles on my desk to get me started on the two pubs I'm co-author on before I leave, shaking my head and repeating.

You are not alone.

Southern! Remember you will be associating with the university crowd, not the graduate fromm high school/get married and have babies. Any stereotypes of Kentucky (a la Dukes of Hazard) are not true there.

Hello everyone,

I am wondering how everyone is managing their time after they have received an acceptance to a school and know that they will be attending this fall.

The reason I ask is that I have a situation with my former boss (who I was a research assistant for) who is now asking for my help with a grant proposal.

For some background: I currently have a full time job and am also doing volunteer work at a crisis hotline and I plan to continue to do both of these until August (and then take 3 or so weeks off before I start school).

I have continued my working relationship with this former boss and helped her with a prior submission of this grant; we have also published together since I took a new job and this person gave me an excellent letter of rec. However, at this point I am not sure if I want to help her with this grant for a few reasons:

-I won't get paid (even though I was paid for working for her previously)
-the line of research I am going into in grad school will most likely be changing quite a bit
-Because of my research changing and all the time I will be spending on these projects, it is unlikely that I'll be able to follow through with this project until something beneficial for my career (like a publication) would come out of it.
-I was hoping to work a little less and relax a little more in this transition before grad school since i know how little time Ill have for relaxing in grad school!

At this point my only real reason for possibly doing this is guilt--- I don't want to upset this person as she has been a good mentor to me and really opened a lot of doors, as well as wrote the nice letter of rec. On the other hand, I feel that I earned those things from being a good employee to her for several years.

I really would appreciate any and all advice on this, part of me feels like she is trying to "milk" me for free work because of all the things she has done for me, but part of me wonders if this is the way this field works.

Any thoughts???

Ditto. I have decided to tell work later this month, even though my last day will prob. be late July or even August. It's just way too hard to keep it a secret and I suck at lying, even by omission. I'm having a review soon and I can't go thru w/ planning the next year w/o saying something. I already feel like a lame duck (and I expect I will feel like more of one after telling) but I am motivated to wrap things up on a high note. I just hope folks don't treat me differently after I tell.

It's official! I'll be at New Mexico State University for their Counseling Psychology program starting this summer!

Hello Las Cruces!!!

. Reading CNN and Washington Post. Maybe a little DCist plus a few mindless sites like TFLN, FML, Passive Aggressive Notes. I check my Bank account and wonder where all my money went (that's right, applications).

Oh my gosh. I looked up this site because of your post and I am dying laughing at work. This site is awesome! Now if only I could laugh on the inside and not the outside.... :D

Ok, so I'm sort of cutting this down to the wire but I have been accepted into the PsyD program at Alliant SF and the PsyD at the Wright Institute and I'm having a really hard time deciding which is the best fit for me. I have read all of the previous postings on these two schools, but I'm still having a hard time balancing between the pros and cons of each.
I am graduating from a master's counseling program in a month, so I already have some good clinical experience under my belt. I like that Alliant has an emphasis area in health psych (what I'm interested in) and I got a good feeling from them when I interviewed, but am concerned about their (questionable?) reputation...I also liked the feeling I got from Wright, but as far as I can tell all of the professors are psychodynamically oriented, which might be a bit biased for my taste and from and from what I've read they don't seem to have anyone who specializes in health psych, BUT I think they might have a better reputation in the community.
Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated, I can't decide! No harping on PsyD's please, and I will be attending one of these schools, so constructive advice only is greatly appreciated! THANK YOU!

Rutgers Psy.D. in School Psychology. Anyone else going there?

Sorry, I just saw this posting...could you tell me why you picked Wright over the New School?

Ok, so I'm sort of cutting this down to the wire but I have been accepted into the PsyD program at Alliant SF and the PsyD at the Wright Institute and I'm having a really hard time deciding which is the best fit for me. I have read all of the previous postings on these two schools, but I'm still having a hard time balancing between the pros and cons of each.
I am graduating from a master's counseling program in a month, so I already have some good clinical experience under my belt. I like that Alliant has an emphasis area in health psych (what I'm interested in) and I got a good feeling from them when I interviewed, but am concerned about their (questionable?) reputation...I also liked the feeling I got from Wright, but as far as I can tell all of the professors are psychodynamically oriented, which might be a bit biased for my taste and from and from what I've read they don't seem to have anyone who specializes in health psych, BUT I think they might have a better reputation in the community.
Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated, I can't decide! No harping on PsyD's please, and I will be attending one of these schools, so constructive advice only is greatly appreciated! THANK YOU!
Lulu,
I do think that your worry about Alliant's reputation is a bit of an issue, particularly when it comes to internships/postdocs, etc. etc., and Wright doesn't seem to have that issue. It's a fairly well known program with a better (I believe?) match rate, which is getting more and more important these days.
However, if you care a lot about research and you can't get access to the health psych stuff via Wright- maybe you take the chance with Alliant anyway. It's about priorities and fit, I think, at this point- in 5 years, which will have set you up best for the career you want? (Or, at least, you think you want at this point :))
Good luck!!

I'm headed to Binghamton next year! I got the call today (after, I kid you not, almost two full months of hearing NOTHING - not even a waitlist notification). I had completely given up hope. I'm so ecstatic I don't even know what to do with myself!

As a slacker in (what seems to be sustained) remission, I totally get you and have to admit that during my workday the temptation to lapse into irrelevance is strong. But I remain truly awestruck by the grimy degrees of awful my risky job entails. And then there are just one too-many real horror stories of all-but-resigned folks who forget to keep their guard up all the way through to the final home commute).

Then again, on my squad cutting corners on decisions pertaining to patient care remains an honored choice-- disengaging from my patients in all regards save that of ensuring their immediate civil rights, baseline physical safety and simple comfort for eight hours a day. But then, "Exactly what and whom am I working for?" Patients deserve patient audiences, not simply caregivers, while my family deserves sustenance: humanly, the ideal is to stay engaged. On the job, school just has to wait. Time off is for getting lost in the approaching relocation.

That's worth striving for, at least. Because staying disengaged at work is dangerous and spiritually defeating, the motivation flows.