The official, why hunter green is an inappropriate color for an interview suit thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silvercholla

Smarter than the avg bear
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you view this please leave a post. It's important!!!!!!!!!

This all started in the white coat ceremony attire thread. And I still don't get why Hunter green is not a good color for an interview suit. It's dark, and it's a uniform color. Personally it looks like poo poo on me (makes me look starved) but can someone please tell me why is it a taboo color for an interview! And are there any others. I have a silk black skirt suit, a brown pants suit, a gray, navy blue, pink and dark purple suit. (Not all those colors on one suit:rolleyes: ). That makes six suits that I could choose from. Which ones are not a good idea. AND WHAT'S WITH HUNTER GREEN!!!!!!! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

If 34 people can answer that poop dog thread. Then i think tha someone can give me a legitimate answer her. And yes I was one of the 34 but my answer made sense.
bump

Green is the color that you're hooded with when you receive a doctorate in medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
ooooooHHHHHHHHH... Well that makes sense!!!!! Thank You:clap:

Personally, I don't see why you couldn't wear hunter green. However, if it looks like "poo poo" on you, it's probably not a good choice. Note: I didn't read the thread about white-coat attire so I'm a little out of the loop.

Of the six suits you mentioned, I'd put them in this order:

Navy
Brown
Gray (assuming it's kind of dark - not light gray)
Dark Green
Dark Purple
Black Silk (I'm assuming it's thin and/or shiny - if not, then bump it up to #2)
Pink (no way)

Honestly, if you are in a suit and look somewhat professional you will blend in fine.

silvercholla, maybe it's just a matter of personal preference. The individuals that said "eek" to hunter green probably don't like the color. I didn't go w/ the traditional blue and black...I went w/ whatever gave me the confidence to walk the walk and talk the talk. I don't think there's anything wrong w/ hunter green as long as one wears it well. I think I'd look rather dashing in that color!!

I think a hunter green suit is taboo anywhere outside the late 80s.. :)

I would go with navy if I had to go to an interview...going conservative never hurts...

I think men should steer clear of hunter green suits for any occasion, unless they are in advertising and so incredibly gorgeous that nobody cares about the color of the suit (and even then ....)

Women can get away with most any color, especially if it's a skirt suit, but for interviews lean toward the conservative. I have been on interviewing committees (for jobs, not for med school!) in which a person's suit or shoes became a major topic of conversation (and not in a good way).

When I picture a hunter green suit, I picture a totally ugly suit. But I'm not one for wearing colored suits, except in certain situations. If you feel comfortable in it and love the suit, then definitely wear it. I'm more of a boring-suit-but-pretty-accessories kinda girl, but do what YOU want. As long as it isn't bright or anything like that, I don't see how it could hurt you.

hey silvercholla;)...

my lil two cents would be to wear what you feel confident in. If you think that green suit looks like ca ca on you then you're gonna feel like ca ca during the interview. Can you imagine that? bust out something you think will make you look like the little success you are and rock out! :laugh: :clap:

:laugh: Michelys!

Spacecadet--I had a kickin' LIGHT gray suit from Express. Okay..actually my best friend Michelle had a kickin' light gray suit from Express that became my interview suits but :laugh: that's besides the point:laugh: !!! Hey I say hook that thing up silvercholla...I put a light lilac shirt from Express under it and I was might spiffy if I might say so myself...:D...but then again that navy suit could be a good option too! Don't be too boring now though! You'll rock out I'm sure :p !!!

:clap: Michelys

Originally posted by spacecadet
Personally, I don't see why you couldn't wear hunter green. However, if it looks like "poo poo" on you, it's probably not a good choice. Note: I didn't read the thread about white-coat attire so I'm a little out of the loop.

Of the six suits you mentioned, I'd put them in this order:

Navy
Brown
Gray (assuming it's kind of dark - not light gray)
Dark Green
Dark Purple
Black Silk (I'm assuming it's thin and/or shiny - if not, then bump it up to #2)
Pink (no way)

Honestly, if you are in a suit and look somewhat professional you will blend in fine.

Green is my favorite color, and I look good in it so that was the color of my suit. It was a nice light green Jones suit and I was accepted so I don't really think wearing a green suit will blacklist you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wore a purple suit to my interviews and I was accepted everywhere. Plus I got a number of compliments on it.

Besides, the point is to stick out, not to blend in! Everyone there was in black, I was in purple-- much more noticable. The trick is to look professional. I'd stay away from flourescents, but almost every color would be fine!

My addition to this conversation:

At my Davis interview, my interviewer who was a complete dingus (honestly. I'm not one to say that, but he really was and if you want to hear the story you can PM me.), repremanded me for wearing conservative colors (grey skirt suit and lilac button up shirt). He said he wanted to see a girl come in in red.

I'm not at all suggesting it. I just found it amusing. Although I'm sure if i came in red, he would have jumped on me for not wearing something more appropriate. He was that kind of guy.

Perhaps he was hitting on you.

I would like to offer the advice I heard in a movie:

"Nice car"
"Thanks"
"Interesting color, did you pick it?"
"Uh, no. The salesman did."
"Ah."
"Why?"
" Well, they say geniuses pick green. But you said you didn't pick it, so..."

- Gaylord Focker and Jack "Meet the Parents"

:D

Originally posted by scienceriot
OK, I'm resurrecting this thread so all the fly girlies can talk more about what we're wearing to interviews. I was thinking about ditching the suit and rocking a black shirtdress: belted, conservative, but still not a suit.
Also, skirts only for girls, or if I DID cough up for a suit, would pants be OK? I have a tattoo on the back of my knee that I would ideally like to conceal- the dress would cover it, but seems like lots of suit skirts wouldn't.

Also, what's a good suit source? Express? Seems like I'll have to hit the mall presently...

I feel like Express is a little too trendy for a suit. I've actually never seen a real suit there... most of their stuff is either shiny or designed or short or tight. :p

Ann Taylor and J. Crew make some pretty nice traditional ones. Be ready to fork over $200-300 for the set, though it might be worth it if its black and good quality (you can use it over and over for the rest of your life... hehe). I've noticed a lot of stores that sell suits Bennetton, Banana Republic, Jones NY, etc are clearing out their summer suits (made of thinner material). This means 50% off!!!

How hard would it be to increase the waist size of a pair of suit pants? I've grown much so I need to add 3-4 inches. Is this feasible for a tailor to do?
thanks

A friend who toured at Galveston said that the Dean told the ladies in the crowd not to wear black. He said it always looks like a funeral and asked why anyone can't wear some color. hmmm, this worries me because my first interview is at Galveston and all I got is a black suit. :p Anyone got any suggestions where to shop--I but my suits at Petite Sophisticate b/c I'm petite and suits at the casual corner and in most department stores tend to be too large. Any suggestions???? Please help.

I think green is only okay if your name is Tiger.

The reason blue is considered the top interview color is because it supposedly conveys honesty (hence "true blue"). Otherwise, the neutral, conservative colors don't distract from the information you're trying to convey. Women can (and probably should) do more with their clothing choices, though. Think of black tie parties -- all the men are expected to wear the same thing (my animal behavior prof. said this makes it easier for women to compare men quickly & the suits often emphasize symmetry) while the women are expected to adorn themselves in unique ways while remaining within certain unwritten boundaries. It was really interesting reading about this kind of stuff in classes. The interview stuff came from my dad, who has conducted thousands (literally) of interviews in his time.

i'm thinking about a light blue suit skirt set from j taylor.. and i want to bump this thread up to see what other people are buying. :)

hey! there's another (inconspicuously) tattoed, short-spiky-red-haired, thrift-store chick on this forum? i'm having a retainer (clear plastic) made for my nose-ring ... the guy that did my last tattoo is going to make it for me for my interviews. that's my nod to going conservative. :)

and i'm wearing my dark grey skirt suit with a light blue button up under it. i am NOT a navy suit girl.

as a natural redhead, i could not get away with wearing pink. especially b/c i dye the natural red even brighter. think orange.

scienceriot-we could accessorize the hair (cheesy barrettes, a bandana maybe!?)! ha! glad all i have to do is wake up and shower. and not put on my pink or green suit. (or pink and green suit. eek!)

why can't you just leave your nose ring out? Thats what I do for interviews.

Ann Taylor has petite suits for you little interviewees out there. I bought one last year for 150. Also, pants are fine. My interviews usually consisted of an equal mix of pants and skirts suits. One of the schools conducted small interviews..there were only 4 of us girls and I was the only one in a skirt and I felt like I stuck out. But that can be good :).

should us guys wear blue/black or grey?

I have all 3 but the black is armani, while the other 2 rn't as high (boss i think) i kinda don't want to wear black b/c its just really dark. but it is a better suit

also should we put like a handkerchief to add some color?

LADIES! plz wear skirts if you have nice legs. suits make you look to man-woish

Guys: Be sure to have nice shiny shoes, and be formally dressed (nice custom taylored suit). No backpack, but bring briefcase or something professional to carry papers in. Don't cut your own hair either :p Go to a salon. Bring cover makeup, if you know how to use it. Look professional, conservative, but be calm and confident. ;)

Bring two different suits, you never know what might happen to the first.

i like the backpack look... i think if you come off too slick / composed it makes you come off as conceited. I like meeting people at those interviews who come off as "Real" rather than "polished".

i have this rad off-white suit that i would LOVE to wear to an interview... also have a nice sharkskin/gray one... and of course the black and the navy... but, in the white one...damn, i just feel like a pimp. it commands respect. maybe sport some of the chest hair and pretend to be tony montana from scarface...
p

scienceriot-
hmmm... this friday sounds cool. i'll probably wear flip flops as well, and have them match my tie. that would be the raddest. now, as for your tattoo-
1- i'd like a private showing
2- i think you should show that off during an interview.

if not- i still want a private showing ;)

the last couple of times i've had it {the nosering} out for extended (>6hrs) times, i've had a hard time getting it back in. this way, i can have one in, it'll be unnoticable and my hole will not close up. it just hurt like a MOTHER to get it pierced and i don't want to have it redone b/c i took it out for my interviews.

i nixed the idea of the nose-to-ear chain, but if i wore a suit like poloace, then maybe i could pull it off? :p

oh mines completely healed/etc....so i can have it out for a few days before its hard to get back in....im waiting till all interview stuff is done before i get my tongue pierced...which ive wanted to do forever!

i've had mine for about 1.5 yrs... but sometimes it still gets persnickety on me. (yeah i just said persnickety) i also have 8 ear piercings... those are much easier to pare down to one sensible set of hoops. :)

bikini princess, what's cover makeup?

haaa! nice sig goodmonkey!!! :laugh: :laugh:

ladies...

someone mentioned it ain't good to wear white shirt w/ black suit. what color shirt is suitable then? sorry but my girlfriend and i recently broke up and prob won't meet another special girl by the time interview times roll round so need some help here :)

much appreciated.

Originally posted by dr kevin40
sorry but my girlfriend and i recently broke up and prob won't meet another special girl by the time interview times roll round so need some help here :)

they'll probably start rolling around once you get accepted. :D

It depends on what color shirt you look good in. (blue? creme etc)

if your suit is really PURE black go with a shirt that has a bit of a pattern in it and a tie that has some pattern with it.

the best way to do this is go into whatever downtown location you are near, go to brooks brothers, and try to get the best dressed man or lady (preferably lady or highly fashion oriented guy) and have them pick out a good shirt-tie combo that would go well with black.

If you're really concerned, bring the suit with you when you go to pick out the shirts...

This is what I did, and my g/f totally approved.

however, if there is a VISIBLE pattern on your suit, you have to get something without pattern (either shirt or tie). I think ties without patterns make you look like Regis Philbin(sp?) so I avoid that...

A good alternative is to just wear a white shirt and black short tie and then put on some dark wrap around sunglasses and pretend you're from "Men in Black"...

must admit that i've always liked bush's dark suit, white shirt, light blue tie look (but get a nice tie...you can get a textured or *lightly *patterned one in a quality material)....classy!

thank you ladies and jayzee for the help!

I wore a black pantsuit with a red shell/blouse underneath for interviews at 13 schools. No one else wore red at any of these interviews. I was glad to stand out. I was accepted at 5 schools and waitlisted at 6.

Last year at BA/MD interviews, this one dude on my day wore a bright red, suede suit. Needless to say, the secretary gasped when we walked into the admissions office. The five of us interviewed that day all corroborated later...we all got in (girls dark blue, black, and one white suit, guys grey and black suits), except for red boy. So, not meaning to contradict the above post :) but if you're a guy....

Red is a bad, bad idea. :mad: :mad:

scienceriot-
you are one class act. we will make out tomorrow, behind the bleachers. maybe we'll both wear braces and be taped on channel 7 news when our faces lock together. great... great -
p

This one is for you DW!!!!! GO AA TRHEAD PART II WOOHOO... by the way, I tongue kissed my interviewer was that bad???:confused:

good call silver!:clap:

did you grab his @ss while you slipped him the tongue? if not, you'll defintely get wailisted or even rejected.

Originally posted by seaworthc
good call silver!:clap:

did you grab his @ss while you slipped him the tongue? if not, you'll defintely get wailisted or even rejected.

Dammit!!!!! I blew it:mad: :( :(