The "Oh, I didn't know that!" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EgyptianDoc

MSUCOM c/o 2016
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If we had a thread where everyone could post something they just learned and never previously knew and we kept it going, I'm sure many of us would learn a lot of things we never thought was important or never really understood.

I'll start off...

Topic: Electricity

The product over sum formula for resistors in parallel is much faster and more efficient than the (1/Req=1/R1+1/R2+1/R3...). This formula is (R1 x R2...)/(R1+R2...). The only thing is it works for 2 resistors at a time so if there are > 2 resistors in parallel, calculate 2 at a time! This way avoids having to worry about the denominators when adding in parallel (can get really messy).

Let's keep this going! Any special "MCAT" formula or essential fact that comes to mind you can post here! Another one that comes to mind is the Doppler Effect formula in EK. Maybe someone can post that or I will at a later date :)

Members don't see this ad.

Naturally occurring amino acids have, of course the L configuration, which corresponds to (S)....but cysteine had to be different and has an (R) configuration even though it is an L-amino acid.

e.g. (S) - Glutamine = L-Glutamine
(R) -Cysteine = L-Cysteine

Learned from my "non-MCAT" related homework. I'm sure this is old news for all you chemsters out there though.