The old MD vs DO debate revisited

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonty

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello DO's!

I'm a foreign student interested in this ongoing debate on whether the DO is superior to the MD and vice versa.

Please could you give me your views on this issue.

(I mean, if DO is so much better, why are people still doing MD's at all?)

Let's hear it...

Members don't see this ad.

Do a search on old threads and then form your own opinion :)

I suggest you just do an old search of the forums to appease your sense of interest in this issue. There is really nothing new to add to this superficial argument, and the people who really care about this issue are usually premeds anyway. I think better debate would be regarding whether we should allow foreign students to take up seats in American medical schools when Americans get turned down every year. Perhaps this would be more interesting to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
This DO vs MD thing is really getting old and irritating.

Ditto what the others said

Consider nursing or social work. Much more rewarding for less pay.

Well, from what I have seen, there are a ****load of DOs claiming erroneously that their training is more superior to MDs.

It used to be MDs bashing DOs, but now DOs are just as likely to bash MDs. The mud slinging used to be one way, but now both MDs and DOs are participating with equal vigor.

MD = DO.

MD is NOT better than DO, and DO is NOT better than MD.

Lets just leave it at that.

I wonder how long I have to wait before some idiot comes on here and starts claiming that DO is supposedly superior to MD.

WOW! MacGyver just summed up the whole argument. That is much easier than the search engine anyway. Good Post for an overdone topic I agree.

here is my logical and totally scientific arguement as to why ALL DO's are better than ANY MD's... especially those FMGs...

lets analyze: MD... DO....
both have an Din the title... so far pretty equal... but during a deeper examination of the issue, one finds that there is an M and an O that are different! quite interesting .... the M comes before O in the alphabet... so at first glance it is actually superior... but WAIT!! suddenly, it is clear that since the O is actually AFTER the M, it means that the O is ABOVE and BEYOND the M... thus scientifically proving the title DO to be supperior!!!

I love logic... maybe i shoulda been a lawyer and would now be involved in some debate like " are traffic court prosecutors really lawyers?"

Originally posted by BrooklynDO
here is my logical and totally scientific arguement as to why ALL DO's are better than ANY MD's... especially those FMGs...

both have an Din the title... so far pretty equal... but during a deeper examination of the issue, one finds that there is an M and an O that are different! quite interesting .... the M comes before O in the alphabet... so at first glance it is actually superior... but WAIT!! suddenly, it is clear that since the O is actually AFTER the M, it means that the O is ABOVE and BEYOND the M... thus scientifically proving the title DO to be supperior!!!

I love logic... maybe i shoulda been a lawyer and would now be involved in some debate like " are traffic court prosecutors really lawyers?"

Following your logic, since M "comes" before O, must be that we DOs are better in bed, too.......

Sorry, couldn't resist....

Originally posted by Boomer
Following your logic, since M "comes" before O, must be that we DOs are better in bed, too.......

Sorry, couldn't resist....

:laugh: Who will volunteer to test your theory? :D

Gee, no wonder you're in an osteopathic med school. ;)

Originally posted by ******
Gee, no wonder you're in an osteopathic med school. ;)

Oh go away and enjoy your upcoming graduation for goodness' sake, Tim!! :p :p

AFTER the M, it means that the O is ABOVE and BEYOND the M... thus scientifically proving the title DO to be supperior!!!

If your typing is this good, I would hate to see your handwriting.

Originally posted by luckystar
Oh go away and enjoy your upcoming graduation for goodness' sake, Tim!! :p :p

I certainly will. Congrats to all the recent NYCOM grads.

Tim rocks. I've been enjoying his posts even before his super-cynical days...(were there ever such times?).

And, for the record about which is better, DO or MD...

It doesn't matter...because I am better than everyone else. ;)

As per our palpatory skills, DO's are obviously better in bed!!!

And in reference to my typing skillzzzz... they are fine when they need to be... as of my handwritting....well ... lets just say we all have our reasons for being in med school.

Hey tim, the reason I wound up in the DO school is because of a certain Downstate graduate I know, who is now in residency...
;)
Have fun being a doctor.
~Brooklyn

As per our palpatory skills, DO's are obviously better in bed!!!

Are we really going to take this thread in that direction? :)

Hey tim, the reason I wound up in the DO school is because of a certain Downstate graduate I know, who is now in residency...

It sounds like I'm supposed to know this "certain Downstate grad," but I have to say I'm drawing a complete blank (wouldn't be the first time).

Originally posted by JPHazelton
I've been enjoying his posts even before his super-cynical days...(were there ever such times?).

I plead the Fifth.

But seriously I don't think I'm THAT cynical, although I tend to be during rotations through the ED. :)

Originally posted by JPHazelton
Tim rocks. I've been enjoying his posts even before his super-cynical days...(were there ever such times?).

no wonder...downstate students are full of crap.

Originally posted by phar
no wonder...downstate students are full of crap.

Oh don't get me started on Upstate.