The oldest writing on surgery in the world... history of medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

summerallwinter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Came across this and thought I'd share.

Here's the description of it on wiki, afterwards is the link to the interpreted paper, and a couple cases from it.

The Edwin Smith Papyrus is the only surviving copy of part of an Ancient Egyptian textbook on trauma surgery. It is among the world's earliest surviving examples of medical literature, the Kahun Gynecological Papyrus being older, and is the world's oldest surgical document. Written in the hieratic script of the ancient Egyptian language around the 16th century BC,[1] it is based on material from a thousand years earlier.[2] This brief document, the entire translation of which can be seen online, [1] consists of a list of 48 traumatic injury cases, each with a description of the physical examination, treatment and prognosis.

Case Twenty-Three: Instructions concerning a wound in his ear.

Examination: If thou examinest a man having a wound in his ear, cutting through its flesh, the injury being in the lower part of his ear, (and) confined to the flesh, thou shouldst draw (it) together for him with stitching behind the hollow of his ear.

Diagnosis: Thou shouldst say concerning him: "One having a wound in his ear, cutting through its flesh. An ailment which I will treat."

Treatment: If thou findest, the stitching of that wound loosen (and) stick in the two lips of his wound, thou shouldst make for him stiff rolls of linen (and) pad the back of his ear therewith . Thou shouldst treat it afterwards with grease, honey, (and) lint every day until he recovers.

Here's a picture of the original paper... too large to post on the thread

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b4/Edwin_Smith_Papyrus_v2.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

This is probably one of the coolest things ever. My avatar is actually the first written reference to the word 'brain' that comes from this papyrus. It's also one of my tattoos:D