The one thing holding me back

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J.Rom

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Radiology seems pretty perfect on paper. The only problem that I have with it is that I feel like I'm going to panic every time I hang out in the reading room. I just don't think I can survive spending so many hours of the day in a dark little room.

So my question: Beyond residency, how much time will I have to spend in a dark room? What about during residency? Do reading rooms still need to be dark? Is it possible that with new monitor technology that need would be obviated? Is that a stupid question?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Radiology seems pretty perfect on paper. The only problem that I have with it is that I feel like I'm going to panic every time I hang out in the reading room. I just don't think I can survive spending so many hours of the day in a dark little room.

So my question: Beyond residency, how much time will I have to spend in a dark room? What about during residency? Do reading rooms still need to be dark? Is it possible that with new monitor technology that need would be obviated? Is that a stupid question?

Thanks

Sort of.

On occasion, either because I'm tired of the dark or because I'm lazy, I will try to read with a pretty high amount of light in the room. Invariably, I come across a finding that I don't think I can see well enough, so I go turn the lights down. The darkness of the reading room isn't going anywhere, though it need not be pitch black.

If you're a student, and I'm assuming you are, radiology doesn't really offer you much to do. Also, you may not know what the hell you're looking at. Sit unoccupied in a dark room and most people will get a little bonkers. Suffice to say that it's different when you're actually reading studies.

There are plenty of people out there that have said to me, "I liked radiology, but I couldn't stand sitting in that dark room all day." As far as I'm concerned, that's a legitimate reason to not choose radiology. I also believe that a significant percentage of those people would be able to tolerate the reading room, and thus would overall be much happier, if only they had given themselves enough time to become accustomed to it.

I honestly think that people who say that they wouldn't go into rads because looking over someone's shoulder as they read is boring are idiots.

Of course, looking over someone's shoulder as they read is boring. I'm struggling to stay awake during my rads rotation. However, it's different when you're the one who's doing the reading. Then you're fully engaged! Think about the lifestyles. Who wants to round all day like in medicine? Who wants to stand on their feet 6 hours in the OR like surgeons? Who wants to compete with a bunch of nurses like in anesthesiology?