The only thing stopping me from Optometry School...Reading Comp

OpticBlast

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I took my OATs about three months ago and scored relatively well with 360 in TS and 330 AA. However, I scored a disappointing 260 in Reading Compression and it seems as though it's the only thing stopping me (as well as others) from getting invited to certain interviews due to a minimum cutoff score. I'm retaking the OAT in about a month and have primarily focused on Reading Comp now. The passages are boring and it's very difficult for me to concentrate and actually comprehend what I'm reading. Anywaise, I've done all the Kaplan practice tests and plan on buying the Achiever for more practice. Anyone know where I can get more practice tests? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I took my OATs about three months ago and scored relatively well with 360 in TS and 330 AA. However, I scored a disappointing 260 in Reading Compression and it seems as though it's the only thing stopping me (as well as others) from getting invited to certain interviews due to a minimum cutoff score. I'm retaking the OAT in about a month and have primarily focused on Reading Comp now. The passages are boring and it's very difficult for me to concentrate and actually comprehend what I'm reading. Anywaise, I've done all the Kaplan practice tests and plan on buying the Achiever for more practice. Anyone know where I can get more practice tests? thanks.

:laugh: I couldn't help but chuckle when I saw the typo.

Anyways, are you looking for full practice tests or just reading comprehension material?

You may want to check out your local library and/or their website and see whether there are resources available to you at no cost. My local library's website had something called Learning Express, which contained practice material for admission tests like the MCAT and GRE. Within these tests you can find reading comprehension material to test yourself. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
haha, Just reading compreHENsion...do you know of any besides Topscore and Achiever? thanks

Go to your regular optometrist, or one that you shadow on a normal basis, and ask to borrow their Optometry trade journal (its by the AOA). I went through 6 or 7 back issues that I got from the optometrist I worked for, and my RC jumped from 290 to 350. The articles are similar in length, perhaps even a bit longer. Also, going to the library and picking up a scientific america helps too.

I forgot to mention that my main problem was that I was reading too slowly and not retaining the information when I got to the problems (probably because i ended up skimming). So to prepare for the 2nd time i took the OATs, I read a lot, and by doing so was able to speed up my reading as well as retain the info.

My strategy (kaplan's strategy really) was to make a very brief outline while reading, jot down key words and the point of each paragraph in a couple of words (ei. "history of..", "discovery of..", "application of..", etc). This helped me reference quickly when i got to the questions.