The Ophthalmology Forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cpw

It's a boy !!!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can no longer go into the ophthalmology forum.. I get too angry every time I go in there. The level of ignorance and/or hyper-inflated egos is astounding! Granted, most of the worst comments come from pre-meds with NO reference point what-so-ever.... but, it's still very irritating.

Members don't see this ad.

I am sure, the people in the ophtho forum will be heartbroken.

f_w said:
I am sure, the people in the ophtho forum will be heartbroken.

yes. we are.

Members don't see this ad :)
cpw said:
I can no longer go into the ophthalmology forum.. I get too angry every time I go in there. The level of ignorance and/or hyper-inflated egos is astounding! Granted, most of the worst comments come from pre-meds with NO reference point what-so-ever.... but, it's still very irritating.

Let me give you all some advice.....don't even bother going on that forum.

I admit that I have been guilty of doing just that, but when I went on there you could have a discussion with actual practicing opthalmologists or at least residents who were near the end of their training and they at least had some perspective on inter professional relations and the issues facing the two fields.

I have said this before both here and on the OMD forum. I worked in a VA hospital for 4 years where I trained ophthalmology residents about refraction, low vision, and contact lenses. I also dealt with 4th year medical students who were on rotation through the clinic. Without a doubt, the most arrogant group of people you will ever find are first year residents. (of any specialty) The second most is 4th year medical students. Unfortunately the ophthalmology forum now seems to be heavily populated with... you guessed it, first year residents and 4th year med students who only prove my theory each and every day.

When you graudate you will find that there are plenty of OMDs who are easy to work with and get along with. There are also plenty who are anti-OD and even some that say nice things to your face, but then bash you to patients. These people are VERY easy to spot, and you simply don't refer patients to them. Most of these people are jaded old solo practitioners who are running offices that are on their last legs so don't even waste one minute of sleep or get your blood pressure up even one point worrying about what these people think.

Jenny

I have graduated ;) And, while waiting for my license in FL I'm working with one of the OMDs I interned with. he's the most OD friendly guy in town. (and fun to boot!) And yes, I know SDN is a very small microcosm of the industry ...

My best exerience was fourth year in OD school when the Baylor third years rotated through our school on community clinics. I got paired up with two more every Thursday while in family practice. We went over how to work a slit lamp, really use a direct (not just to get a red reflex), and other good eye care tid-bits. It was great! And, I hope most programs integrate this kind of program... it definitely exposed them to the true primary care nature of our profession.

cpw said:

i just looked over there, and some of those people are disgusting... they are so egotistical and arrogant!!!!!!

I apologize for letting the forum get out of hand lately. I'll intervene more to get it back in order. There are issues that both fields need to work out; however, professionalism should never be forgotten. I've been watching the forum hoping it will self-moderate, which it does fairly well for the most part.