The Optimal Route to Military Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sylvester500

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello —

I initially developed an interest in military medicine as a second-year undergrad. I wanted the structure the military provided. I wanted the opportunities to practice medicine with an expanded scope of practice and in austere and challenging environments. And, most importantly, I wanted to serve the mission of the United States military. However, as I approach the start of medical school (I have been accepted to a US MD school for fall 2021 matriculation), I have some concerns:

1) I am not fully decided on which specialty I want to pursue. I am pretty sure I want to do a surgical specialty, but not sure which one. However, I could also see myself going the non-surgical route, in areas such as EM or anesthesiology. My concern is that I will decide firmly come match time in ~4 years, then be prohibited from that passionate decision because of the military's needs.

2) I believe the best way for me to serve the military's mission is to be the best physician I can be. After reading through this forum, I have developed a concern that there is a lack of case variety available to residents and attendings, which may lead to skill atrophy. Thus, I could see a better route for me and, by extension, the military by simply foregoing commitment until after residency training. Then, I could become a reservist and still contribute to the military without having to worry about only being able to practice medicine in the bubble of military medicine.

As stated above, my reservations have nothing to do with the prospects of being deployed — these challenging service opportunities are exactly what I want. I really do envision a career that begins with deployment downrange on a SOST or CCATT mixed with alternative time at a busy military base in the US. I have no problem delaying a dedicated civilian career until after either my 4-year obligation or 20-yr military career.

However, I worry that blind and naive pursuit of these opportunities by selecting a binding commitment through HPSP as a wily pre-med will lead to disillusionment down the road as a physician, especially in these times in which the military is not actively involved in conflict (not that I want there to be extra conflict in the world, or that I want soldiers to be put in harm's way). In fact, I have a worry about not pursuing military medicine from the start of medical school via HPSP: Will delay of involvement in military medicine until after residency decrease my knowledge of the military system / kinship with the soldiers that would ultimately degrade my membership in military medicine?

Based on my thoughts above, could anybody speak to the appropriateness of perhaps foregoing service until after training, and then joining the reserves so that I could become the best physician possible for both civilians and soldiers alike? Or, perhaps others believe my concerns are not well-founded and may be inclined to shed a different light on this career path.

Thank you all for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you are not 100% on the decision to start your military service now (or ever) then it is best to wait and see how you feel after your training is done. When the time comes to join you want to be able to commit yourself fully to being a military officer first, doctor job second.

There is no optimal route as people's reasons for joining are all very different. My optimal route was USUHS because it started my military service right away, I reaped the financial benefits right away and if I can stick it out long enough the pension will start early and be generous. All along the way I was 100% military first, physician career second. I didn't really care what specialty I ended up in when I joined. Once I realized what I wanted to do with my life it just so happened that timing and luck got me my specialty of choice and I trained straight through. That doesn't happen often. Other people join temporarily because they want to give back and serve for a while. In that case the optimal route is train civilian first, establish yourself, then come in later so you prevent hiccups or bumps along the way.

If you aren't 100% military service right now then it is best to wait. Only thing worse than choosing incorrectly is choosing incorrectly, having your training delayed and not being able to train in your specialty of choice. The military will always be here if you decide to join. The soldiers/marines/airmen will always respect you for being their doc no matter what. Focus on what is right for you right now in your life.

Reactions: 1 user
... My optimal route was USUHS because it started my military service right away, I reaped the financial benefits right away and if I can stick it out long enough the pension will start early and be generous. ...
Congrats on seeing it through to the end. How is the pension starting early? Did you take the new retirement program or waiting for 20?

Members don't see this ad :)
Generally speaking, the earlier in life you commit to the military, the greater the risk. And I'm not so sure there is really a greater reward for that risk anymore. And the reverse is true, the later in your career you commit, the more control/choices you have.

Personally, with the exception of academy grads, current military with 6+ years in looking to change careers, and older (35+) students, I think the Reserve is the way to go, not HPSP/AD. And certainly not HPSP/AD if you have your heart set on a certain path with certain milestones. The military just doesn't cater to individuals that way.

Finally, FWIW, for whatever reason, your writing style comes off as a bit presumptuous, dramatic, and irritating. To be honest, I had a hard time finishing it. You might want to try to write a bit more conversationally in the future.

Congrats on seeing it through to the end. How is the pension starting early? Did you take the new retirement program or waiting for 20?
Still up in the air when the "end" will be. Good question on starting early. That wasn't worded well on my part. I meant I'll make it to 20 faster than if I decided to join later.

I switched to BRS because there is still a good chance that I get out before 20 even though I'll be at 16 years when I finish payback.

Generally speaking, the earlier in life you commit to the military, the greater the risk. And I'm not so sure there is really a greater reward for that risk anymore. And the reverse is true, the later in your career you commit, the more control/choices you have.

Personally, with the exception of academy grads, current military with 6+ years in looking to change careers, and older (35+) students, I think the Reserve is the way to go, not HPSP/AD. And certainly not HPSP/AD if you have your heart set on a certain path with certain milestones. The military just doesn't cater to individuals that way.

Finally, FWIW, for whatever reason, your writing style comes off as a bit presumptuous, dramatic, and irritating. To be honest, I had a hard time finishing it. You might want to try to write a bit more conversationally in the future.
Well, I appreciate the honest feedback. I get that a lot. I honestly don’t try to sound pompous or anything. And I really try to not, because I believe humility is super important and a trait I strive for. So, it hits hard when I’m told I come off the opposite.

Is there anything in particular that came off as irritating? Perhaps this irritating quality comes off in real life and is the reason why I’m a lonely bastard.

Hello —

I initially developed an interest in military medicine as a second-year undergrad. I wanted the structure the military provided. I wanted the opportunities to practice medicine with an expanded scope of practice and in austere and challenging environments. And, most importantly, I wanted to serve the mission of the United States military. However, as I approach the start of medical school (I have been accepted to a US MD school for fall 2021 matriculation), I have some concerns:
. . . .

Based on my thoughts above, could anybody speak to the appropriateness of perhaps foregoing service until after training, and then joining the reserves so that I could become the best physician possible for both civilians and soldiers alike? Or, perhaps others believe my concerns are not well-founded and may be inclined to shed a different light on this career path.

Thank you all for your time.
Your expectations and desires are at odds with the realities of the military medical system. You may want to do surgery, but that is no guarantee the military will want you to do a residency versus taking you from med school to do an internship and time as a GMO. If they need GMOs more than they need a surgeon, guess what happens. If that will make you disappointed and unhappy, then seriously consider the alternatives. And just because the planners pay lip service to "bucket-1" specialties doesn't mean they will draw from their needed pool of candidates for GMO billets to defer you to a residency you might like. I knew a fellow intern who became despondent after he applied for and was accepted to an elite residency program he wanted but the Navy denied him a deferment. He ended up on the psych ward after a suicide attempt.

On the other hand, everything might go your way, and you could be very happy. I just would not count on it.

Well, I appreciate the honest feedback. I get that a lot. I honestly don’t try to sound pompous or anything. And I really try to not, because I believe humility is super important and a trait I strive for. So, it hits hard when I’m told I come off the opposite.

Is there anything in particular that came off as irritating? Perhaps this irritating quality comes off in real life and is the reason why I’m a lonely bastard.

There you go; your reply is perfect. Normal conversation, easy to read. You just tried too hard in asking your original question. Pretend you're asking a friend and type it out that way. Simple is almost always better.

Good luck!

Will delay of involvement in military medicine until after residency decrease my knowledge of the military system / kinship with the soldiers that would ultimately degrade my membership in military medicine?
No. Getting used to the military is going to be a bit of a learning curve no matter when you join. If you are flexible and humble you will adapt and find your way. The same skills that one uses to build relationships in the civilian world are used to build relationships in the military. Compassion, humility, and respect go a long way. If you adopt a learning mindset, are a team player, and are willing to work hard while maintaining a positive attitude, you will have no issues developing good relationships with your troops no matter when you join.

All of the SOST guys I've ever met were AD. I do not know if they have a reserve/guard component. However, you can definitely do CCATT via the Guard or Reserves. Most of the CCATT dudes I've worked with were Guard and they were by far the happiest, least jaded military medics I've ever met. Anecdotal of course, I'm sure there are plenty of unhappy CCATT docs out there too haha.

If you are really interested in adventure but want to be in the reserves, you might look into the 919 SOW.

No. Getting used to the military is going to be a bit of a learning curve no matter when you join. If you are flexible and humble you will adapt and find your way. The same skills that one uses to build relationships in the civilian world are used to build relationships in the military. Compassion, humility, and respect go a long way. If you adopt a learning mindset, are a team player, and are willing to work hard while maintaining a positive attitude, you will have no issues developing good relationships with your troops no matter when you join.

All of the SOST guys I've ever met were AD. I do not know if they have a reserve/guard component. However, you can definitely do CCATT via the Guard or Reserves. Most of the CCATT dudes I've worked with were Guard and they were by far the happiest, least jaded military medics I've ever met. Anecdotal of course, I'm sure there are plenty of unhappy CCATT docs out there too haha.

If you are really interested in adventure but want to be in the reserves, you might look into the 919 SOW.
Thank you for the information.
Sorry for being totally uninformed, but how long is an active duty obligation once you sign up? Can you practice civilian medicine nearby in addition to active duty service?

Sorry for being totally uninformed, but how long is an active duty obligation once you sign up? Can you practice civilian medicine nearby in addition to active duty service?

Moonlighting (civilian medicine practice while active duty) is location/command dependent. Most people are able to moonlight but certain locations and specialties limit the availability to do so.

You're welcome! Always happy to help.

Active duty service commitment (ADSC) varies but the standard commitment is usually between 3 and 6 years. This can increase if you accept orders to a new assignment or if the military pays for additional schooling.

Many physicians moonlight (aka work at a local civilian hospital outside duty hours) but they need their commander's approval to do so.

You're welcome! Always happy to help.

Active duty service commitment (ADSC) varies but the standard commitment is usually between 3 and 6 years. This can increase if you accept orders to a new assignment or if the military pays for additional schooling.

Many physicians moonlight (aka work at a local civilian hospital outside duty hours) but they need their commander's approval to do so.
Understood. Thank you.