1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

The Optometrist I work with just recommended video games to a child...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by mikeinsd, Feb 21, 2007.

1. mikeinsd

mikeinsd predictably unpredictable
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    how sweet is that - I wish my doctor would have done something like that back when i was a kid...

(the child had one eye weaker than the other, so he suggested he wear an eye patch on the good eye and play video games for 30 mins a day so the bad eye would have to work harder, thus making it stronger and eventually fixing the problem)

i hope i will keep this stuff in mind when I am a doctor - there are always lots of ways to treat a patient, lots and lots, some more exciting to each patient than others...

pointless thread i know... but seems to be more and more common these days as more and more people are sitting around waiting

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. cakebaker2

cakebaker2 New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    That's a cool optometrist mikeinsd. These are the kinds of things that probably aren't taught in med school, but really make a difference in the doctor/patient relationship.

I was reading a book by a Harvard physician recently (White Coat?) and the author wrote about how a young boy with cancer needed to rinse his mouth twice a day with this solution that tasted really bad. One of the med students went to her locker where she kept small toys for the kid patients, and brought out a little racecar. And within a few minutes, the boy happily swished the solution in his mouth and spit it out onto the racecar (a car wash). How clever is that! :laugh:

3. pennybridge

pennybridge Membership Revoked
    Removed