The order of your Rank Order List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raccoon914

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got into a discussion about this today. Does the order of your rank order list influence your probability of overall matching vs not matching. I'm talking about a list with all the same programs and therefore number of programs. Does the order you put your programs in affect your chances of matching all else being equal. Like is there reason to rank programs higher that you think you are more likely to match at? The outcome I'm looking at is just overall matching vs not matching regardless of which program you match to. I appreciate whoever can shed some light on this.

Members don't see this ad.

RANK THE PROGRAMS IN THE ORDER YOU WANT TO MATCH AT THEM.

That's all. That's it. If a program you ranked highly punts and doesn't match you, the algorithm merely goes down to your next most favored program. There's no way to 'game' the system. If you didn't match, nobody ranked you high enough to match you. Playing games with your match list merely increases your chances of matching at some program you didn't really want to go to.

All the silly folklore that comes up about this needs to stop...just read the NRMP bulletins on the subject.

It's yet another example of the absurd hand-wringing and teeth-gnashing that medical students now seem to do about everything. Just chill the **** out and rank the programs how you want to go to them. 'Just swipe it and let it do what it do', in other words. And, again, chill the **** out.

Reactions: 7 users
I got into a discussion about this today. Does the order of your rank order list influence your probability of overall matching vs not matching. I'm talking about a list with all the same programs and therefore number of programs. Does the order you put your programs in affect your chances of matching all else being equal. Like is there reason to rank programs higher that you think you are more likely to match at? The outcome I'm looking at is just overall matching vs not matching regardless of which program you match to. I appreciate whoever can shed some light on this.
The rank order list has no influence on your probability of matching vs not matching in the primary match with one exception: If you're couples matching without all possible combinations ranked, order matters. If all possible combinations are ranked, order doesn't influence either persons probability to match, and in fact that probability is the same as it would be if they were applying solo.

Reactions: 1 users
I second the NOOOOOO!!!!

You can rank 50 places you have no chance matching at (like places you didn't interview at) followed by the places you will match in and you'll have the same match result as you would without the 50 places.

It's a gaming algorithm. The only way "rank" will affect your ability to match is how highly the programs rank you (i.e. you don't know that). So rank programs in order of places you prefer.

Reactions: 2 users
Like is there reason to rank programs higher that you think you are more likely to match at?
Just to really drive this home, those saying no aren't just saying it. This is a well analyzed mathematical fact that there is no way for you to game the algorithm. Even if programs promise to rank you #1 or not at all, you can't do better in the match or increase your chances of matching than by ranking the programs in the order you prefer them.

If you need the mathematical proof, find the numberphile channel on YouTube and search for the stable marriage problem.

Reactions: 2 users
I would suggest ranking them in the order you like. But, the way it is set up allows you to reach for programs you might not be so competitive for without penalty. If you get them great, if not you are still back in the programs you have more a chance at. The worse thing that will happen is you could rank further down your list but if they are programs you can live with then no big deal.

The biggest factor out of your control is knowing where programs will rank you.

Also, trust nothing programs say.

Everyone is basically telling white lies to each other. I fell down my list so it allowed me to experience this factor quite well. I had several programs above where I matched that I would have lost money because I thought they would take me.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, trust nothing programs say.

Everyone is basically telling white lies to each other. I fell down my list so it allowed me to experience this factor quite well. I had several programs above where I matched that I would have lost money because I thought they would take me.

Agreed. Programs are trying to position themselves to match well too, so they'll do whatever they can to have you rank them high. I had a few friends who were undecided on their top choices, and they ended up ranking the programs that showed the most interest higher, only to not end up matching there. Who can blame them, it feels good to be wanted and our gut feelings about places can sometimes be swayed by perceived interest. Take whatever a program says with a grain of salt, in fact, don't read too much into anything during the application/interview process. I matched at a top program after receiving a late invite and not hearing a single word from them after the interview

While correct, the advice to not trust programs is misleading. It implies that if you could trust them, you should care what they have to say. The correct advice is to not care what programs say. You absolutely can not do better than ranking them in the order you prefer them, no matter what programs say or think.

Unless you're couples matching.

Strategy should be the same for couples, although now "the order you prefer them" is the order that the couple prefers together.
Right. But as I mentioned above, if you don't rank all possible combinations, one of you may have a lower than optimal total "chance of matching". Basically, choosing not to rank certain combinations is stating "I would rather one of us be unmatched than match with me in place X and my partner in place Y."

Right. But as I mentioned above, if you don't rank all possible combinations, one of you may have a lower than optimal total "chance of matching". Basically, choosing not to rank certain combinations is stating "I would rather one of us be unmatched than match with me in place X and my partner in place Y."
Ahh yes. That is certainly true. The couple can choose whether they want to match apart, or not match at all (one or both). And if the couple ranks a "no match" option above a "both matched" option, that increases the chances of one person not matching (obviously). But ultimately it's completely in the control of the couple, and the couple should still rank options in the best order for them -- even if that includes someone going unmatched. So we're saying the same thing.