The (Other) Corporate Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

El Salvaje

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do big oral healthcare companies and their subdivisions like OralB, Crest, Listerine etc employ people with a DDS as management, salesmen and/or researchers? What are the salary figures for those types of positions? Are they linked with academic institutions where dental professors split their time between school and corporate? If anyone has any information on this I'm curious to know.

Members don't see this ad.

Do big oral healthcare companies and their subdivisions like OralB, Crest, Listerine etc employ people with a DDS as management, salesmen and/or researchers? What are the salary figures for those types of positions? Are they linked with academic institutions where dental professors split their time between school and corporate? If anyone has any information on this I'm curious to know.

Yes, I know Colgate employs dentists on in R&D positions, and I would assume many of the others (PG and J&J) also have similar positions.

With that said, in R&D you would likely lose much of your clinical skills if you were to take a career in industry. If you had a PhD in oral bio, you may also be well suited to do similar types of activities. I once met a person who has a DDS, and and MS in biochem who worked on certain products for Colgate. I do not know about salary figures, but I imagine them to provide a suitable lifestyle (large companies have great benefits, health insurance, 401k, paid vacation etc).