• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

The other Dental student : Friend or Foe?

Are fellow d-students competitive?

• Yeah, dschool is filled with backstabbers

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Yeah, but it's just friendly competition

Votes: 23 56.1%
  • No, everyone is happy to be in

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • No, why would i want to go to school longer

Votes: 2 4.9%

• Total voters

UMDeeMan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
Duluth, MN
i still have 3 years till I apply, but i want to know. Once you are in dental school, are the fellow students nice and willing to help? or are they cut throat, step on your face to get ahead (ie sabotage the competition so they have a better chance at specializing)? i'm just curious and have no idea myself. let me know what youall think.

About the Ads

ziptree

DDS
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2003
Depends on where you go...or so I've seen from my interviews.

In my opinion, UOP has a really tight network of students (maybe since many come from UOP undergrad, where I go now) that are willing to help each other.

This maybe totally wrong, but I felt that UCSF and UCLA had less of a comradery (sp?) amongst it's student population, and that people were a little more competitive.

UCLA and UCSF are known for their competition for placement into a specialty program whereas UOP's dental school is strong clinically but lacks on the academic/research side. This probably has a role in the competitiveness of the school, since students at UOP are probably more willing to help each other, since most are planning for just a GP or AEGD/GPR, while those at UCLA/UCSF are trying to get into post-grad programs such as Ortho, Endo, OS, Perio...

Just my 2 cents.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.