Status
Not open for further replies.

Premedinho

Removed
Mar 30, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello everyone, I am a senior in high school who will be going to a top tier private school for premed. I have done a lot of thinking and research to come to the conclusion that I want to become an Interventional Cardiologist. However, just saying this wish of mine pains me greatly for I am aware of the difficult years of work that it requires. The thing is I just can't see myself being fulfilled and happy with any other profession, and it isn't about the money because there is more of that in business. Any advice you have on this great path would be most appreciated. Specifically, how many years of school until an income is generated, how much is the income, is the MD path really preferred over DO for cardiology. Also, will the new Health care program under Obama intimidate people from becoming doctors thus resulting in less medical school competition for me? I thank you in advance!

FSAP

Foreigner
10+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2007
Status
MD/PhD Student
I am waiting for someone in middle school to make a thread like this one.

TooMuchResearch

i'm goin' to Kathmandu...
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2008
Townsville, USA
Status
Attending Physician
:laugh:

1. High schooler posting in pre-allo.
2. "Top tier private school for premed."
3. Interventional cardiology is the only option.
4. There is more money in business.
5. But how much money will I make?
6. MD vs DO.
7. Health care reform.
8. 1st post.

:troll:

Bernoull

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2007
Ischioanal fossa
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hello everyone, I am a senior in high school who will be going to a top tier private school for premed. I have done a lot of thinking and research to come to the conclusion that I want to become an Interventional Cardiologist. However, just saying this wish of mine pains me greatly for I am aware of the difficult years of work that it requires. The thing is I just can't see myself being fulfilled and happy with any other profession, and it isn't about the money because there is more of that in business. Any advice you have on this great path would be most appreciated. Specifically, how many years of school until an income is generated, how much is the income, is the MD path really preferred over DO for cardiology. Also, will the new Health care program under Obama intimidate people from becoming doctors thus resulting in less medical school competition for me? I thank you in advance!

:laugh::laugh: good thinking...

Feb 9, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Average+salaries+of+interventional+cardiologists

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=path+to+becoming+an+interventional+cardiologist

Oh, and :laugh:

Premedinho

Removed
Mar 30, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Pardon me, but am I wrong for being concerned about my future? I am a long time reader of sdn and I don't appreciate this kind of hostility on my first post. A doctor is supposed to be more dignified in giving answers, this is not respectable. Again, I ask that if anybody has advice please be willing to share it.

Aug 28, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Pardon me, but am I wrong for being concerned about my future? I am a long time reader of sdn and I don't appreciate this kind of hostility on my first post. A doctor is supposed to be more dignified in giving answers, this is not respectable. Again, I ask that if anybody has advice please be willing to share it.

srsly?

Feb 9, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Firstly, I googled it FOR you. Secondly, if you're a long time reader then you would know that many of your questions have been answered ad nauseam on these boards. Using the simple search feature should satisfy your questions in regards to this great field.

Oh and edit for a thirdly, define dignified?

Instatewaiter

But... there's a troponin
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Washington
Status
Attending Physician
I'll answer for real:

3 years of IM. Then 3 years of cardiology. Then 1 year of interventional.

futile

10+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Premedinho,

There a few reasons why the posters are being so flippant with your post. First of all, you have all of the same information we have. You are simply asking us to do the research and organize it for you. How many years until income? Look up cardiology residency/fellowship programs and how much they pay. MD vs. DO? That's really tough, because I'm not sure how much information there is about matches, but I would guess that it is not impossible for a DO to get a cardiology residency, but it is really difficult. I would recommend that you really like either MD or DO, and then decide -- don't limit yourself by framing it in cardiology. The new health care program affecting salary? We have no freaking clue, and unless you can get your hands on a really accurate crystal ball, you won't either.

In addition, I've heard from Deans on interviews that 70% of people who go into medical school change their chosen specialty by the time they are out. Meaning: chances are, 8 years from now, you won't want to do cardiology anyway, if you are in medical school at all.

Hopefully that answers your questions.

Premedinho

Removed
Mar 30, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Correct me If I am wrong Sir, but doctors are supposed to be willing to help others, stemming from their job of treating patients. This pompous attitude is very uncharacteristic of doctors.

Geekchick921

Achievement Unlocked: MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Correct me If I am wrong Sir, but doctors are supposed to be willing to help others, stemming from their job of treating patients. This pompous attitude is very uncharacteristic of doctors.
Oh...
Dear...
Lord...

*Bites tongue*

Sweetheart, worry about doing well in college first and getting into medical school. You are at least 8 years away from choosing a specialty so simmer down. You've invoked just about every hot-topic on this board in your OP, and if you have lurked for as long as you claim, you should know that already, and the answers to plenty of your questions.

mcgyver

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2007
New York, NY
Status
Medical Student
you'll be surprised...

ILikeDrugs

pre-attending
10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2008
L.A.
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Picture of you graduating from your top tier med school:

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
you'll be surprised...
Agreed. Wait until he's a "lowly" volunteer walking the halls of a hospital and can't even get a physician to acknowledge his existence when they're stuck in an elevator together. Ha, ha... some people end up being REALLLLLLLLLLLY full of themselves at the end of their education.

Dec 4, 2009
Status
Medical Student
So, I used the internet for your answers and found this:

Dec 4, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Ha, ha... some people end up being REALLLLLLLLLLLY full of themselves at the end of their education.
Or some people are tired of premeds asking for letters of rec from that time they rode an elevator together.

"Decision making skills unsurpassed as he chose the floor with the star next to the number, as opposed to just the rookie-move lobby, when looking for the ground floor of the building."

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
DOs get cards fellowships. Its not too hard for a DO to get an IM residency.

Feb 9, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
You need a heavy dose of reality.

ILikeDrugs

pre-attending
10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2008
L.A.
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I always find it funny when I come across a pompous resident in the ICU. I can't figure out what they have that makes them so pompous? Is it the whole M.D. thing, because that's really nothing to be pompous about.

Feb 7, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
The fact that you are still in high school and already know that you want to be a physician puts you ahead of many other pre-meds. A lot of us didnt know we wanted to be doctors half way into undergrad or later which meant we had to back track a bit. If I was in your position I would relax and keep an open mind about specialties. I hear hundreds of stories about people who start medical school saying they want to do X but once they start doing clinical rotations they change their mind and want to do Y. Correct me if I am wrong but I would say that you probably havent been around too many doctors. Yes, a lot of them are friendly and compassionate but there are also a lot who come across as arrogant, crude, and severe. Sacrifice your youth and autonomy and see if it doesnt harden you a bit :laugh: As far as money goes...you will be in the "poor house" for atleast a decade.

FSAP

Foreigner
10+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2007
Status
MD/PhD Student
I always find it funny when I come across a pompous resident in the ICU. I can't figure out what they have that makes them so pompous? Is it the whole M.D. thing, because that's really nothing to be pompous about.
Most residents I met at the ICU here were pretty nice. Readily acknowledged that just like me they knew nothing.

obiwan

10+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2006
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
i just love it when people who aren't even remotely close to starting medical school already have a specific career in mind.... gotta love the committment

but seriously, most medical students will enter medical school with no clue and even for those that have a certain idea, it will probably change... so keep that in mind when you going through your schooling

orthomyxo

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical

6. MD vs DO.
7. Health care reform.
8. 1st post.

:lol::whoa:

LMAO! Why are you referring to pre-meds as doctors? And your assumption is dead wrong anyways. Find the posts on pre-allo that are from residents, they're hilarious.

You have a lot to learn my troll-esque friend.

So, I used the internet for your answers and found this:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Donkey-back basketball FTW!!

RogueUnicorn

rawr.
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
what's top tier private undegrad anyway? top 10 usnews? 20? 50?

AUD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2008
Delaware
Status
Medical Student
Or some people are tired of premeds asking for letters of rec from that time they rode an elevator together.

"Decision making skills unsurpassed as he chose the floor with the star next to the number, as opposed to just the rookie-move lobby, when looking for the ground floor of the building."
I laughed for about 5 minutes when I read this :rofl:

morning

butane in my veins
Feb 6, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical

6. MD vs DO.
7. Health care reform.
8. 1st post.

I vote we create some sort of SDN drinking game. At the very least, there will be fewer applicants to med school in my year if I've managed to convert some pre-meds into raging alcoholics.

aDreamer

7+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2009
Ithaca, NY
Status
Medical Student
Are you even old enough to date yet? Do you watch Hannah Montana?

I really wanted to reprimand you ifear for being so cruel to someone who may be serious with his question (giving OP the benefit of the doubt here), but honestly, I was just too busy :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

But seriously OP, don't let these reactions to your post deter you from asking all the questions you want to on here (AFTER searching for them first of course ;)) and doing whatever you need to do to get where you want to be.

I wish you the best of luck...but please brace yourself and start growing some thicker skin because the real fun hasn't even come close to starting yet...:)

bannie22

Hero
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2009
The path to cardiology is to find your soulmate and have heart to heart conversations while lying next to him/her on a dorm bed.

g2daizh

7+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2009
Status
Medical Student
When people ask you what your major is when your in college, be sure to say premed cardiology. I can not stress this enough.

GoSpursGo

Allons-y!
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]

Status
Not open for further replies.