Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

The pen is mightier...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by dajimmers, Nov 20, 2005.

1. dajimmers

dajimmers Hedgehog!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So, for those of us who have multiple interviews, and potentially multiple acceptances, we need to be able to decide where exactly to go. People have suggested weather, location, curriculum, school colors, ranking, finaid packages, student body, smell, number of nobel laureates, alphabetical order, NIH funding, etc.

If these fail, I suggest we use the "coolness" of the pen included in their handouts. Schools that give out no pen get no love. If it's just a bland Paperpate ballpoint with their name stamped out in one color, they get lower ranked. Gel-pens with flashing lights, built-in fight songs, multiple colors, and GPS devices get higher ranked.

For me so far:

Harvard: pretty generic, but the school colors are there, and they did stamp both the pen and the clip
    UChicago: points for creativity (built-in carabiner), but not very functional
    UMich: no pen, at least not that I can find :(
    WashU: clear gel pen, prominent name stamped on. Winner so far...

2. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    USF gave us chocolate bars with the school's logo stamped on them. That is by far *the* best interview goodie out there, infinitely more edible than any pen. :thumbup: Actually, come to think of it, USF also gave us a pen; when you click it, the phone numbers to different USF COM offices show in a little window. So USF is the winner. :D

3. fiddler

fiddler Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

hey Q,

can you put in a good word for me? i want a chocolate and neato pen too!!

fiddler

4. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    Fiddler, if you want to interview at USF, I suggest that you move to FL and establish in-state residency. It would do you far more good than relying on any pull of mine. :smuggrin: But that's a lot of work just to get a chocolate bar. Alternatively, you can always try asking REL whether he'd be willing to mail one up to you. ;)

5. radioh3ad

radioh3ad march 18th
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i laughed when i saw the title. sean connery.

6. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes. Let's discuss Japan US relations next. :)

7. Will Ferrell

Will Ferrell Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

hopkins expects you to write with your blood!

they win.