1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

the perfect school for you

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Idioteque, May 6, 2007.

1. Idioteque

5+ Year Member

we all have the school that if we got in, we'd drop everything and go. In what stage and in what capacity in the application process do you let a particular school know that they are your #1 choice. secondaries?

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PeripateticMD

PeripateticMD Peripatetic
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    that's an idioteque question (had to say it)... but you let them know when you know. But make sure you know... that's what'll bite you in the arse. Many people 'think' they know, but then go and interview and change their mind. If you're uber sure, you've seen all the places you've applied, and you definitely know, a few questions:
    1. Why did you apply to other places?
    2. Have you really looked at all the programs?
    3. Will money change anything?
    4. WHY is this school the one you want the most?

And if it ends up you're really in love with this school (intelligently and informedly in love), then you can tell them in your secondary, go for it. But don't put yourself in a position to eat your words. Most people wait until after interviews and send a letter of intent (to one school) or a letter of interest (to their top 2-3 choices).

4. moomix906

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You could do it anytime. Just send them a letter and say you're my number #1. It should not be part of your secondary - you should write out a separate letter to the dean of admissions explaining why you prefer it to all other schools. How you word it is the important bit. If you write a letter well before interviews are completed, i doubt any school will really care unless you write a letter of intent, that is, you promise to go if accepted. I personally would not recommend writing one until you've at least interviewed there, or if they don't offer you an interview and you're dying to go there, because you might interview and decide you hate it, and you might prefer another school after visiting there - and all the schools know that you might change your mind in the months before decisions are mailed out. However, if you are sure about a place, writing a letter after interviews, before a decision comes out, could bump you in. No school will admit the extent of its impact of course but I have heard of enough schools that pretty openly give preference to people that state its their number #1.

5. emaj1n

emaj1n M1
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Personally, I wouldn't make this statement until after interviews are complete. I don't know if people will take you seriously before that point. Just my two cents.

6. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The advice above is good, but I would avoid having strong attachments to particular schools in this process.

7. OncDoc19

OncDoc19 MS4
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My number one choice is the school that offers me admission into an MD/PhD program in the history of medicine that is fully funded and whose faculty have research interests that match with my own. It's way too early to be making more specific statements than that.

8. Robizzle

Robizzle 1K Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    AMCAS Primary Essay. But be sure to apply broadly too.

9. diggitybop

2+ Year Member

regarding robbizle's comment: (sorry forgot to quote your message)

terrible idea. are u serious?

10. HappyG0Lucky

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well I'm a bit like idioteque, I haven't applied but I already know where I really hope to get in. However, I feel I have a good reason for that, because i have a family and a spouse with a very good job here. If I get in somewhere else it will mean uprooting a lot of people. Is it ok to state that you have a family here and that is a big reason why you want to stay in the area?

11. PeripateticMD

PeripateticMD Peripatetic
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    First, Robizzle is kidding - obviously. But if you do know where you want to go, and you're certain of it, apply more narrowly, and let them know in addition to your secondary. Definitely let them know in the interview.

12. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    My "perfect" school is the least expensive one that offers an MD degree and accepts my butt.

13. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

here
    you go...