the perfect school for you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Idioteque

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
we all have the school that if we got in, we'd drop everything and go. In what stage and in what capacity in the application process do you let a particular school know that they are your #1 choice. secondaries?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

that's an idioteque question (had to say it)... but you let them know when you know. But make sure you know... that's what'll bite you in the arse. Many people 'think' they know, but then go and interview and change their mind. If you're uber sure, you've seen all the places you've applied, and you definitely know, a few questions:
1. Why did you apply to other places?
2. Have you really looked at all the programs?
3. Will money change anything?
4. WHY is this school the one you want the most?

And if it ends up you're really in love with this school (intelligently and informedly in love), then you can tell them in your secondary, go for it. But don't put yourself in a position to eat your words. Most people wait until after interviews and send a letter of intent (to one school) or a letter of interest (to their top 2-3 choices).

You could do it anytime. Just send them a letter and say you're my number #1. It should not be part of your secondary - you should write out a separate letter to the dean of admissions explaining why you prefer it to all other schools. How you word it is the important bit. If you write a letter well before interviews are completed, i doubt any school will really care unless you write a letter of intent, that is, you promise to go if accepted. I personally would not recommend writing one until you've at least interviewed there, or if they don't offer you an interview and you're dying to go there, because you might interview and decide you hate it, and you might prefer another school after visiting there - and all the schools know that you might change your mind in the months before decisions are mailed out. However, if you are sure about a place, writing a letter after interviews, before a decision comes out, could bump you in. No school will admit the extent of its impact of course but I have heard of enough schools that pretty openly give preference to people that state its their number #1.

Members don't see this ad :)
we all have the school that if we got in, we'd drop everything and go. In what stage and in what capacity in the application process do you let a particular school know that they are your #1 choice. secondaries?

Thanks!

Personally, I wouldn't make this statement until after interviews are complete. I don't know if people will take you seriously before that point. Just my two cents.

My number one choice is the school that offers me admission into an MD/PhD program in the history of medicine that is fully funded and whose faculty have research interests that match with my own. It's way too early to be making more specific statements than that.

AMCAS Primary Essay. But be sure to apply broadly too.

regarding robbizle's comment: (sorry forgot to quote your message)

terrible idea. are u serious?

Well I'm a bit like idioteque, I haven't applied but I already know where I really hope to get in. However, I feel I have a good reason for that, because i have a family and a spouse with a very good job here. If I get in somewhere else it will mean uprooting a lot of people. Is it ok to state that you have a family here and that is a big reason why you want to stay in the area?

regarding robbizle's comment: (sorry forgot to quote your message)

terrible idea. are u serious?

First, Robizzle is kidding - obviously. But if you do know where you want to go, and you're certain of it, apply more narrowly, and let them know in addition to your secondary. Definitely let them know in the interview.

First, Robizzle is kidding - obviously. But if you do know where you want to go, and you're certain of it, apply more narrowly, and let them know in addition to your secondary. Definitely let them know in the interview.
My "perfect" school is the least expensive one that offers an MD degree and accepts my butt.