The perfect student job!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by newfocus, Jan 14, 2002.

1. newfocus

newfocus Senior Member

I just got a job at the medical school I want to attend and its the coolest!! I work as an EKG tech, I basically get paid to sleep and study. I go on overnight on call once or twice a week,(5pm to 7am) you just hang out in the EKG office and play on the internet (which I am currently doing), study in a conference room, watch TV in the lounge or sleep in a patient room (I usually get about 4-8 hours a night!)and just wait to be paged while getting paid the whole time! So if any of you guys or gals are looking for a phenominal student job try contacting your local hospital to see if there are any openings for an EKG tech.

newfocus out~

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Chorboke

Chorboke Member

Is there any special training required?

4. katiep

katiep Senior Member

What are you going to say when they ask you about it on interviews? Unless, of course, you're just doing this for money, and have other medical/clinical activities going on.

5. newfocus

newfocus Senior Member

Chorboke~

I completed one night of shadowing to learn how to actually do an EKG, the hardest part is finding your way around the hospital when you are paged.

katie p~

I plan on telling them it was a great way to work in a clinical setting while completing my studies, I currently have 17 hours this semester plus a MCAT prep course (go TPR!). I also worked as an ER tech for 2 years at another hospital and I currently volunteer at a free health clinic.

newfocus out~

6. newfocus

newfocus Senior Member

Im telling your guys this job is da bomb! Its now 10:15 I have been on call since 5 and have done 4 EKG's. So basically I have been getting paid while I study for the MCAT. I may not be assisting in surgery but it is still clinical experience and I am getting paid for it. So if anyone is interested I would contact your local hospital and see if they have any night tech positions available in cardiology or any specialty.

newfocus out~