The plight of the OOS applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joekalish818

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I have compiled my list which is as follows:

Loma Linda
Saint Louis
Maryland
Duke
UMN
Case
Brown
U Washington(Pipe Dream)
OHSU
Mayo
Temple
Cincinnati

I know it appears to be all over the place, but I have been to the large majority of the cities and campuses, and I enjoy them. I also looked into the matches of each, just to get an idea. Now my stats are as follows:

Neuroscience major
3.68 gpa
3.6 science
31 MCAT
Laundry list of ECs-hundreds of hours
Shadowing at Temple(Neuro and Neurosurgery) about 20 hours total
Research at NIH as well as a cancer center- a year of each; currently doing research in a cancer lab
Current med surge RN >1yr
Solid LORs

I know I'm not very competitive, but Ive worked hard, which hopefully is at least somewhat apparent in these stats. I may do a masters because I enjoy research, depends on how competitive I am. Thanks for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

I was anticipating a response like this. I am from NJ. I heard OHSU was OOS friendly? I'm in the process of getting the MSAR. SO besides Duke, Mayo and Case for stats, and UW, maryland, and OHSU for OOS, do the rest seem somewhat attainable within the obscurity of med school admissions?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was anticipating a response like this. I am from NJ. I heard OHSU was OOS friendly? I'm in the process of getting the MSAR. SO besides Duke, Mayo and Case for stats, and UW, maryland, and OHSU for OOS, do the rest seem somewhat attainable within the obscurity of med school admissions?
Though OHSU matriculated 32/4665 OOS applicants they tend to be quite geocentric (Pacific NW).
Temple and SLU are good choices but LLU is a mission-based school and I didn't see anything about their mission in your post. Most of Brown's OOS students are from their own programs from what I understand.
Come back after your MSAR research. You probably need at least 10 good OOS choices.

Agree with gyngyn. Your stats (no offense) probably don't fit for most of the schools on your list. MSAR is your friend.

Reactions: 1 user
Consider NYMC, VCU, Vermont, GWU, Penn State. Also, agreed with @gyngyn about OHSU -- unless you fit one of their mission groups, I wouldn't apply.

Consider NYMC, VCU, Vermont, GWU, Penn State. Also, agreed with @gyngyn about OHSU -- unless you fit one of their mission groups, I wouldn't apply.

Agree with everyone above too. Also you could try Ohio State University--about half their incoming class is OOS so it may be worth a shot.